Author Topic: TAR Australia 4 Joys & Disappointments  (Read 1818 times)

Online BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • The best shows out there!
TAR Australia 4 Joys & Disappointments
« on: December 03, 2019, 04:11:32 AM »
Well, with TAR Australia 4 done and dusted, what were your joys and disappointments of this season?

Discuss it all here! I'll put my detailed post in this thread when I review a few episodes tomorrow that I may of missed, but please feel free to put your joys and disappointments of the season in this thread! :)
I enjoy ''The Big Three' Reality TV shows!

Online claude_24hrs

• " I am Claude "
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Not interested with fantasy games
    • Facebook
Re: TAR Australia 4 Joys & Disappointments
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 04:52:21 AM »
Since I don't watch the Aussie franchise, fun thing that four routes from this season (Seoul-Ninh Binh/Hanoi, Hanoi-Ulaanbaatar, Lilongwe-Bangkok and Bangkok-Northern Territory) are the reverse of TAR 29, TAR 10, TAR 19 and TAR 9, respectively.

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 11:17:25 PM »
The weakest overall of the four TARAuseses. But still a solid season and more refreshing than other TARs, especially TARUS.

The season needed more Road Blocks though.

Offline looseseal

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 12:31:52 AM »
why do you hate tarus so much taraus hasnt been good since 2

Offline Hubickichibi

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Lets make a baby
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2019, 01:51:48 AM »
My great disappointment is that TARAUS now over
Swarm stupidity

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2019, 06:57:20 AM »
Well firstly, Beau was...bearable, but he really needs another season to find his hosting groove. He's like night and day compared to Grant - which is good in some ways, and bad in others. The cringey jokes are his main shortcoming.

As for the season itself, the casting was ace. It definitely wasn't Australia's best (Season 2 is king), but it got better as it went on.

The lower budget showed with 3 of 11 legs awarding not-too-spectacular prizes. (Two of $1000, and a trip within Australia), And coming on the heels of Season 3's crossing of 6 continents, 11 legs of East Asia/Sub-Saharan Africa felt watered down. Some of the tasks lacked variety because of that. Hopefully some Europe in Season 5.

A modest revival after the 5 years hiatus, but plenty of room for improvement - 6/10

« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 07:01:57 AM by Maanca »

Offline stunami

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2019, 08:25:34 AM »
I feel like casting was really really great, the only problem was the boot order. If you look at our 11 teams, they all had the potential to be something (I mean NUNS, Muslim Mother/Daughter, the Alpaca Farmers, Footy mate, etc.). I feel like event the Gen-Z siblings could have been entertaining (they sucked a lot on that only leg but I feel they had the potential for a breakdown).

The location were hit or miss for me: loved both Mongolian legs, Africa was great, should have had just one leg each in South Korea and Vietnam. Tasks were okay for most

Offline Nyoman_SB1

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2019, 09:25:51 AM »
Joys:

- TARAUS back after long hiatus
- The diversity of the casts
- The host. I like Beau's enthusiasm, even though sometimes over the top (for example: The hugs at the pit stop)

Disappointments:

- Boot order. I was hoping at least one FF team made it to the final 5
- Final destination information in the beginning of the premiere  :groan:
- One team dominating the race
- Placement announcement. "You are the 1st/2nd/3rd team to check in" instead of "You are team number..."  :cmas12

« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 11:50:55 PM by Nyoman_SB1 »

Offline Philimination

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Phil is ready to Philiminate
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2019, 11:01:23 AM »
Great cast, but as others have said, not so great boot order and one team was too dominant. TARAus has always been great with cast diversity though.
Tasks were alright for the most part.
Lacked Roadblocks in several legs, but was made up for by many route info tasks throughout the season.
Teams were always on the same flight, so no flight drama.
F4 is WAY too late for a U-Turn! I would prefer if all race powers stopped after leg 8 or 9.
Beau is a good host, but needs to tone it down at times. I actually don't mind the "You are the Nth team to check in". Not everyone has to be like Phil.
TAR Australia spoils WAY too much with its next leg previews! They need to learn how to create suspense in their previews without spoiling massive race events.
Not enough leg prizes. Only 3 legs with prizes and 2 were $1000 each, loaded in halo rings...

I know the list has a lot of complaints but I still enjoyed the season despite its flaws.
You are the last team to arrive.
This is a Philmination leg, so I'm sorry to tell you that you have been Philiminated from the race.

Offline Xoruz

• RFF LInk Master!
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2019, 11:16:17 AM »
Joys
  • The mere fact that 10 was able to cast, film, and edit the season in a quick turnaround.
  • The route was pretty great with a nice mix of urban and rural legs as well as the visits to two one-visit countries.
  • Cast was a nice array of diverse personalities.

Disappointments
  • Considering the seasons that came before, it was the weakest of the four due to it feeling like a trial run at times.
  • Many of the tasks in the first half were very generic like needle-in-haystack and counting leading to a few legs that felt barebone with Leg 2 being the worst example.
  • Placing 2 U-Turns on NELs.
  • The boot order.

While not the strongest season, I'm more than happy see 10 revive the show, and the network has shown that it can adapt from season to season especially when looking at the differences between 2016 & 2017 AU Survivor. So, I'm looking forward to see how they can develop TAR AU overtime especially now that they have more time to develop a season.

Offline aussieamazingracer

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2019, 06:20:23 PM »
Joys

- The return of TARAu - especially with 10 :conf:
- Amazing cast with fantastic diversity - particularly the Nuns, Rowah/Amani and Jasmin/Jerome!
- Visits to South Korea, Mongolia and Malawi as under-visited countries in the TAR franchise
- Tim/Rod winning the race alongside one of the most likable F3 I can remember in recent history
- Beau Ryan as host - I was very skeptical at first but he grew on me with his enthusiasm and participation in the tasks. I think he needs to improve his impartiality as host between teams, less hugging and a less self-endorsing narrations - the role of TAR host is not as pronounced as in most reality tv franchises.
- Steady improvement of ratings leading to the finale!
- Challenges: Flyboarding in Seoul, DMZ visit, all Mongolian desert tasks, intense camel race to pitstop in Leg 5, Mongolian dancing, crossing Zambia/Zimbabwe border on foot, poo droppings FF, Thailand denture fitting RB.
- Dominance of Tom/Tyler mitigated by their fun likable personalities - unusual for a dominant M/M team.

Disappointments   
- Start Line not in Australia :groan: - no apparent reason for this or explanation for viewers?
- Too many double legs in countries that contributed to slighter weaker tasks in some episodes.
- Repeats of recent US TAR tasks - eg. speed stacking in Korea, shrimp basket bikes in Vietnam, microlight flying, Vic Falls bungee jumping, century eggs in Thailand etc.
- Route limited to Asia and sub-Saharan Africa - I really missed Europe in the route for some contrast.
- Teams not departing in the intervals that they arrived in - two minute intervals is poor and perhaps one of the biggest crimes of the season imho - also we didn't get to see departure times :(
- No flight drama whatsoever with teams on the same flight every single time.
- No enforcement of the equal Roadblock rule - both Jasmin/Jerome and Viv/Joey with highly unequal Roadblock counts
- Lame Speedbumps - actually just modifications of existing tasks.
- Challenges: Vietnam eating RB (lame with just rice), too many counting tasks (fountains in SK and prayer wheels in Mongolia), easy intersection.
- No leg prizes after each leg :dick

Online Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Simply the best.
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2019, 08:30:12 PM »
Just finished watching the whole season. It was WAY better than i expected!

Beau is very funny. I just think the contestants were really relaxed at times.
I think not having prizes for leg winners sucks, but it is fine. They'll probably get prizes in the future.

I wish a long life for TAR AU!

PS > From the beginning, Tom & Tyler gave me Andy & Tommy vibes. I knew they wouldn't win.
Bad moments are like footprints in the beach sand
One day the tide makes them go away...