Author Topic: TAR Australia 4: Jasmin & Jerome (Indigenous Parents)  (Read 8834 times)

Online BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • The best shows out there!
TAR Australia 4: Jasmin & Jerome (Indigenous Parents)
« on: October 22, 2019, 01:46:11 AM »

Jasmine & Jerome (Indigenous Parents) (Darwin, Northern Territory)

Indigenous couple Jasmin and Jerome are repping the Top End when they get ready to race. Strong, determined and handy with a map, Jerome is a proud Wadjigan man and self-proclaimed adrenaline junkie. His partner, Jasmin, a Bindal and Gunditjmara woman, is a successful lawyer, whose goal is to challenge stereotypes and meet new heights in everything she does.

They’ve known each other for 10 years and share a 2-year-old son, Jerome Jnr. Jerome and Jasmin are passionate about setting a good example for young Indigenous Australians and making their community proud.

Coming from big families, the pair have been competitive from a young age and believe that their mental strength is what will get them to the end.
I enjoy ''The Big Three' Reality TV shows!

Online BourkieBoy

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR Australia 4: Jasmin & Jerome (Indigenous Parents)
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 01:47:22 AM »
Jasmin, 30

What’s the best part of travelling with your teammate?
We both enjoy learning and exploring. Jerome is the best navigator, which is definitely not my strong point.
What do you hope to accomplish by running The Amazing Race? First and foremost, to win! And to also show Australia and viewers what Indigenous excellence looks like. Jerome and I have achieved a lot in our respective 30 years and we want to challenge the sometimes negative portrayal of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.

Jerome, 30
What’s the best part of travelling with your teammate?
Jasmin is extremely organised, she is very well planned and prepared. Sometimes the weight of her luggage can suggest she is too well prepared. She books all our flights and accommodation when travelling, getting us the best deals whether that’s flights or accommodation.
What is the biggest challenge or weakness you’ll need to overcome? I love doing extreme things like skydiving and bungee jumping. I think the eating challenges might be a weakness for me.
What type of people do you find it difficult to get along with? I am pretty easy going and get along with most people. But if someone lies or backstabs me, I tend to hold grudges. 

Online BourkieBoy

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 01:47:50 AM »
Saved for any video featuring Jasmin & Jerome!

Check back soon!

Online BourkieBoy

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 01:48:07 AM »
Saved!

Online BourkieBoy

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2019, 01:43:54 AM »
Darwin couple Jasmin and Jerome are the latest team to be announced ahead of 'The Amazing Race' Australia's premiere, and they're ready to show the world what they've got.

The 30-year-olds have known each other for a decade, and with a two-year-old son (Jerome Jnr) waiting at home for them, they're ready to set off on the fast-paced Race, hoping to be the first team to arrive at the final Pit Stop.

A Wadjigan man who loves adrenaline, Jerome isn't phased by the idea of challenges that might see him jumping out of planes or bungee jumping in order to get ahead in the race. "I think the eating challenges might be a weakness," he admitted.

Thankfully, with Jasmin by his side, they've got things covered.

"Jasmin is extremely organised," Jerome said, "she is very well planned and prepared. Sometimes the weight of her luggage can suggest she is too well prepared.

"She books all our flights and accommodation when travelling, getting us the best deals whether that's flights or accommodation," he added.

Jasmin is a lawyer, a Bindal and Gunditjmara woman and apparently someone who does not know how to pack lightly, which she may struggle with when trying to lug a bunch of suitcases from Pit Stop to Pit Stop.

The duo have winning in their sights, with Jasmin admitting that the biggest thing they want to achieve during their time on the Race is exactly that: winning.

But Jasmin also wants to challenge stereotypes, adding that the pair want to show "what Indigenous excellence looks like".

"Jerome and I have achieved a lot in our respective 30 years and we want to challenge the sometimes negative portrayal of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people," she said.

While winning isn't everything, the pair see competing in the Race as a chance to inspire young Indigenous Australians.

We can't wait to see these two take on 'The Amazing Race' (and just how much stuff Jasmin can fit into a backpack) when everything kicks off on October 28.
'The Amazing Race Australia' will premiere Monday, October 28 at 7.30 on Network 10 and WIN Network.

Source: https://10daily.com.au/entertainment/tv/a191016dbqkh/the-amazing-race-australias-top-end-couple-ready-to-take-out-the-top-prize-20191016?adobe_mc=MCMID%3D43516253529426626213030165139620024700%7CMCORGID%3D508F0C3A53DB1A8A0A490D4D%2540AdobeOrg%7CTS%3D1571985598

Online BourkieBoy

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2019, 01:49:46 AM »
Northern Territory couple Jerome and Jasmin spoke to 10 daily ahead of the premiere of 'The Amazing Race Australia'.

Proudly Indigenous and repping the Top End, the duo hopes to encourage Indigenous representation on television, as well as demonstrate what "Indigenous excellence" looks like.

Jasmin, who is a Bindal and Gunditjmara woman and a successful lawyer, told 10 daily:

"We're very competitive -- we love to kind of challenge and push ourselves, but we also wanted to be on the show because we feel that Indigenous people aren't represented on mainstream TV and when they are, it's usually in a negative manner or portrayed as a negative stereotype," she explained.

As for their preparation for the event, Jasmin and Jerome were sure to get in tip-top shape to have a physical advantage over the other competitors.

"We joined up with a group called the 'Darwin Deadly Runners' -- they're a community group that train three times a week, so we did a bit of running with them," Jasmin said, while Jerome added that he "did a bit of bike riding to and from work".

While most relationship would crumble under the stress of such an intense competition, Jasmin said she wasn't fazed about the pair snapping under the pressure.

"I think we work really well together as a team," she said. "We've always really backed each other and supported each other throughout the different stages of life and becoming new parents

"I also found that I actually don't cope under pressure as much as I thought I would and just kind of lost it, so Jerome was really good and bringing it back kind of just refocusing," she continued.

Jerome added, "Our communication got better as we went along -- we would learn from our early mistakes in each leg of the race and pick up and move forward."

Jasmin agreed, adding, "I think it's because we're brought up to never give up. There are always difficult times in the race, but we never, ever gave up, and I think that's just really part of who we are."

She continued, "We're resilient people, we come from such an ancient culture and where we're from, we have such resilient Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. So I think that definitely sums us up as a team".

'The Amazing Race Australia' will premiere Monday, October 28 at 7.30 on Network 10 and WIN Network.

Source: https://10daily.com.au/entertainment/tv/a191017jegtu/the-amazing-race-australias-deadly-duo-want-to-show-what-indigenous-excellence-looks-like-20191021?adobe_mc=MCMID%3D43516253529426626213030165139620024700%7CMCORGID%3D508F0C3A53DB1A8A0A490D4D%2540AdobeOrg%7CTS%3D1571985598

Online georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Moderator
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Online BourkieBoy

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2019, 07:42:19 PM »
It was a nail-biting experience watching the Deadly Duo, Jasmin and Jerome, slip further and further behind in 'The Amazing Race Australia' as they struggled to complete their chosen Detour.

They'd powered through the excruciating incense collecting challenge which involved sitting in the hot sun arranging the fragrant sticks into two-kilo bundles.

But faced with the task of jumping aboard some much larger, more unwieldy sticks (some might call them stilts) Jasmin and Jerome hit a wall (and also the ground, multiple times).

Having successfully crossed the line on stilts herself, Jasmin enthusiastically cheered on Jerome from the sidelines, but things were looking grim.

After one final demoralising fall, Jerome made what was to be a crucial decision.

"I'm calling it, I think, because I'm physically too fatigued," said Jerome, later explaining that although Jasmin whizzed through the course he just "couldn't do it".

"I just couldn't for the life of me pull it off, my body was starting to shut down," he said.

Feeling "pretty defeated" and concerned they'd pull up to the pitstop last, the Deadly Duo moved on to the Detour's arts and crafts table for some mask painting but paused when they spotted newlyweds Tim and Rod.

The couple, who had been in the lead, had chosen to tackle the Fast Forward challenge but soon gave up the almost impossible task of tying what looked like close to a hundred shrimp baskets to a tiny bicycle.

Worried about how many teams were already ahead of them, Jasmin and Jerome made the decision to try the Fast Forward themselves.

"Is this a bad call?" Jasmin hesitantly asked.

"I don't know," Jerome replied. "High risk, high reward".

At this point, we just couldn't bear to see Jasmin and Jerome get slapped in the face by the 'Amazing Race' gods and then it happened -- Jasmin literally got slapped in the face by a piece of stray bamboo.

"I'm down on the ground trying to tie this bike so tight and this piece of bamboo just flings me straight in the eye," she said.

But after plenty of loving encouragement between the pair, the setback didn't stop them from continuing to put together the gravity-defying bike, even as Jasmin read their final instructions through streams of tears.

Watching Jerome finally get into the saddle of the wonky contraption was more beautiful than anything we could have imagined, with the dad saying his huge grin was because he was imagining his young son at home in the NT was watching the ridiculous situation unfold.

The unbelievable gamble meant Jasmin and Jerome skipped straight to the pitstop, comfortably arriving in fourth place just ahead of Rod and Tim.

They repeated the words that will now become their 'Amazing Race' team motto as they were met by Beau at the finish line.

"High risk, high reward."

'The Amazing Race Australia' Airs Mondays And Tuesdays From 7.30 pm, Only On 10 And WIN Network.

Source: https://10daily.com.au/entertainment/tv/a191105pbkyz/high-risk-high-reward-the-deadly-duos-gamble-pays-off-after-sweat-tears-and-lots-of-elbow-grease-20191105?adobe_mc=MCMID%3D43516253529426626213030165139620024700%7CMCORGID%3D508F0C3A53DB1A8A0A490D4D%2540AdobeOrg%7CTS%3D1573004187

Online BourkieBoy

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2019, 08:37:21 PM »
Jasmin and Jerome might have just missed out on winning 'The Amazing Race' but their final pitstop was anything but a disappointment.

The grand finale saw the top three duos in the race heading to the Northern Territory on a flight from Bangkok to Darwin for their final leg of the competition.

"We travelled all across the world and then, for it to end in our backyard and be able to showcase the Territory -- for a Larrakia man coming home to Larrakia country, it was so exciting," Jerome told 10 daily via phone after the final episode.

Their final leg of the journey together involved plenty of firsts -- jumping out of planes, training dogs and taming a horse -- but the couple said coming in second didn't feel like their efforts had been in vain.

Jasmine explained that, although they knew newlyweds Tim and Rod had already come first, they just had a strong feeling of gratitude about how far they'd come in the competition, completing every challenge.

"I don't know, I thought I'd be really sad but I just felt blessed to have the experience on this wild ride of a lifetime with my soulmate and best friend," she said.

Throughout 'The Amazing Race' -- From Seoul to Darwin--  the couple have been adamant about their motive -- being strong, positive role models for their young son.

Jasmine explained via phone (after a Wiggles concert, no less) that their reunion with Jerome Jr. took even longer than they expected, even though they finished up the race so close to home.

"We had to go through Sydney and our flight got delayed -- our boy actually wasn't in Darwin he was staying with family in Melbourne so we were like, 'Oh my god, I wish we'd left him in Darwin!'"

Jerome added that he's excited to show their son episodes of 'The Amazing Race' when he's old enough, although the toddler got pretty excited when he'd see them pop up on commercials.

"Every time he'd hear an ad come on for the show he'd say, 'Mummy, Daddy!' and come running into the loungeroom but when it came to watching the show he'd want to turn it off and put cartoons on," he laughed.

The family have been watching 'The Amazing Race' together -- and although they say they "copped some flak" after the U-Turn that sidelined Tom and Tyler -- they ultimately played the game as productively and respectfully as they knew how.

"I hope people see that... I think Jerome and I made some of the biggest moves in the race and that we took some big gambles and used the tools that the race gives you," Jasmine said.

More importantly, the couple explained that the experience strengthened their relationship -- something that was evident on-screen as they supported each other through every challenge, never arguing.

"For me, it just confirmed how much I love and adore Jerome and how much respect I have for him, he's the father of my child and partner in life," said Jasmine.

"We took every challenge by the horns and we never gave up. I always knew that we would back each other. "

Source: https://10daily.com.au/entertainment/tv/a191203szomu/we-felt-like-we-were-winners-the-deadly-duo-come-second-in-dream-return-to-the-nt-20191203?adobe_mc=MCMID%3D43516253529426626213030165139620024700%7CMCORGID%3D508F0C3A53DB1A8A0A490D4D%2540AdobeOrg%7CTS%3D1575426710

Online Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Simply the best.
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2019, 08:31:53 PM »
They were SO focused and commited to the race! Beautiful journey.
Bad moments are like footprints in the beach sand
One day the tide makes them go away...