Author Topic: TAR Canada 8: PRE-RACE News/Media/Speculation (possible spoilers)  (Read 86628 times)

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • RFF Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR Canada 8: News/Media/Speculation (possible spoilers)
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2020, 05:34:34 PM »
I think its narrowed down to the semifinalists, then the cast is finalized next month into March.

Offline Linda BC2

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2020, 07:27:29 PM »
You are right - the interview stage is over and they need to pick the teams and alternates. If you’ve not been contacted I’m very sorry.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 12:38:55 AM by Linda BC2 »

Offline stunami

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2020, 08:21:28 PM »
Where do ya'll think the starting line will be?
With the first 6 seasons, it was always in a different province/territory (ON/AB/QC/NWT/NFL/BC) but that went out of the window last year.

I wouldn't be surprise if they do Toronto area again...
But I'm hoping for a Maritime start! New-Brunswick perhaps or a PEI start with a self-drive leg 1 in New-Brunswick. That would be different from what we had in the past.

Offline Linda BC2

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2020, 12:41:08 AM »
I’m hoping that they’ll visit ALL provinces and territories - going to cities and regions they’ve not been before. Too much TO, Calgary and Vancouver.

Offline Travejunkie

• RFF Sr. Member
  • The World is Waiting...Go
    • Another Pin on the Map
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2020, 07:04:12 AM »
I would love the return of at least one international leg.  All Canada is great, but this many seasons in, it can get repetitive.
Down the waterfall, wherever it may take me.

Offline WindsorSue

• RFF Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Sue's Reality Canada
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2020, 09:42:05 AM »
I just wish they would have an announced live start.

Offline AmazingRaceCanadaROCKS

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2020, 03:54:15 PM »
Any new news on Amazing Race Canada Season 8? I'm worried how the coronavirus will affect this season! Both in terms of locations, destinations, and the comfort of participants and the teams working behind the scene. I have friends travelling on cruises, etc and there is a fear out there.

Offline Travejunkie

• RFF Sr. Member
  • The World is Waiting...Go
    • Another Pin on the Map
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2020, 04:01:24 PM »
I would be surprised if it impacted it much.  If they need to avoid Asia, that is easy enough to do, and as filming is not traditionally until May-ish, the situation should be far more stabilized internationally by that point.
Down the waterfall, wherever it may take me.

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2020, 05:19:27 PM »
Felt better after reading your reply then watched the news and the latest report is ...has reached 25 countries, 31,000 people. I think it will be address somehow, perhaps not in ways we can see at this point. Anyway, looking forward to a great race!

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • RFF Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2020, 08:20:42 PM »
TARCAN and BBCAN have been nominated for best reality show for the Canadian screen awards: https://globalnews.ca/news/6553033/2020-canadian-screen-awards-tv-movie-nominees/

Online Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2020, 01:39:38 PM »
A bit of news popped up on my feed about the production company - https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/topstories/insight-productions-faces-ontario-class-action-lawsuit-over-alleged-unpaid-wages/ar-BB10kzQX?ocid=spartandhp

Insight Productions faces Ontario class action lawsuit over alleged unpaid wages

1 hour ago

© Provided by The Canadian Press
TORONTO — An award-winning Toronto-based production company behind a slew of popular reality shows is facing a $35-million class-action lawsuit over alleged employment standards violations.

A news release says law firm Cavalluzzo LLP filed the suit in an Ontario court on Friday against Insight Productions.

The company has worked on series including "The Amazing Race Canada," "Big Brother Canada" and "Battle of the Blades."

CWA/SCA Canada says it and fellow union IATSE support the suit, which is seeking damages on behalf of independent contractors and current and former employees.

The suit claims Insight owes hundreds of workers unpaid overtime, vacation pay, and holiday premiums because of contracts that did not comply with Ontario's Employment Standards Act. The allegations have not been proven in court.

Insight Productions says the proceedings initiated against it are "without merit" and the company will "vigorously defend" itself against the allegations.

"Insight is immensely proud of the people who work with us to produce some of the most popular television shows in Canada," John Brunton, CEO and executive producer of Insight Productions, said Monday in a statement.

"We strive to be a leader in our industry in every way. This includes attracting top talent to our productions by offering good compensation, safe and fair working conditions, and opportunities for mentorship and career development.

"We are confident that the professionals that work with us feel valued, respected and fairly compensated. Insight prides itself on its positive workplace culture, which we believe is a fundamental reason we are able to attract and retain the very best talent to our productions year after year."

This is the second class-action lawsuit against a Toronto-based reality TV production company in the past year and a half.
In October 2018, a similar suit was filed against Cineflix Productions, which is behind "Property Brothers" and dozens of other TV programs.

That suit is still before the courts and is claimed on behalf of contract production personnel.

It claims Cineflix and its affiliates violated the Ontario Employment Standards Act and seeks compensation for all past, present and future personnel in certain job classifications as far back as 2000. The allegations have not been proven in court.

"Cineflix has demonstrated a solid history of ethical standards and respect for the creative community for over 20 years,'' spokeswoman Vanessa Marra said at the time the suit was launched. "Cineflix will be vigorously contesting this claim.''

A lawyer at Cavalluzzo said after the Cineflix lawsuit was filed, the firm heard "similar complaints about Insight."

"We heard about very long workdays, six- and seven-day workweeks with no overtime, and no extra pay for holidays," Sean Fitzpatrick said in a statement. "We are putting the reality/factual TV industry on notice that it can no longer deny workers their basic employment rights."

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Feb. 24, 2020.

Victoria Ahearn, The Canadian Press

Offline Linda BC2

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2020, 02:46:00 PM »
I saw that too. I wonder if it will affect the next TAR season?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2020, 03:05:51 PM »
Well of course they have long days. Anyone signing up for this knows that.

I don't know how the US handles it...my guess is paid by the job not the hours.
Which perhaps mean there is an industry expectation that is different? ???
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline TurkishDelight

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2020, 02:36:16 PM »
A bit of news popped up on my feed about the production company - https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/topstories/insight-productions-faces-ontario-class-action-lawsuit-over-alleged-unpaid-wages/ar-BB10kzQX?ocid=spartandhp

Insight Productions faces Ontario class action lawsuit over alleged unpaid wages

1 hour ago

© Provided by The Canadian Press
TORONTO — An award-winning Toronto-based production company behind a slew of popular reality shows is facing a $35-million class-action lawsuit over alleged employment standards violations.

A news release says law firm Cavalluzzo LLP filed the suit in an Ontario court on Friday against Insight Productions.

The company has worked on series including "The Amazing Race Canada," "Big Brother Canada" and "Battle of the Blades."

CWA/SCA Canada says it and fellow union IATSE support the suit, which is seeking damages on behalf of independent contractors and current and former employees.

The suit claims Insight owes hundreds of workers unpaid overtime, vacation pay, and holiday premiums because of contracts that did not comply with Ontario's Employment Standards Act. The allegations have not been proven in court.

Insight Productions says the proceedings initiated against it are "without merit" and the company will "vigorously defend" itself against the allegations.

"Insight is immensely proud of the people who work with us to produce some of the most popular television shows in Canada," John Brunton, CEO and executive producer of Insight Productions, said Monday in a statement.

"We strive to be a leader in our industry in every way. This includes attracting top talent to our productions by offering good compensation, safe and fair working conditions, and opportunities for mentorship and career development.

"We are confident that the professionals that work with us feel valued, respected and fairly compensated. Insight prides itself on its positive workplace culture, which we believe is a fundamental reason we are able to attract and retain the very best talent to our productions year after year."

This is the second class-action lawsuit against a Toronto-based reality TV production company in the past year and a half.
In October 2018, a similar suit was filed against Cineflix Productions, which is behind "Property Brothers" and dozens of other TV programs.

That suit is still before the courts and is claimed on behalf of contract production personnel.

It claims Cineflix and its affiliates violated the Ontario Employment Standards Act and seeks compensation for all past, present and future personnel in certain job classifications as far back as 2000. The allegations have not been proven in court.

"Cineflix has demonstrated a solid history of ethical standards and respect for the creative community for over 20 years,'' spokeswoman Vanessa Marra said at the time the suit was launched. "Cineflix will be vigorously contesting this claim.''

A lawyer at Cavalluzzo said after the Cineflix lawsuit was filed, the firm heard "similar complaints about Insight."

"We heard about very long workdays, six- and seven-day workweeks with no overtime, and no extra pay for holidays," Sean Fitzpatrick said in a statement. "We are putting the reality/factual TV industry on notice that it can no longer deny workers their basic employment rights."

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Feb. 24, 2020.

Victoria Ahearn, The Canadian Press

That won't probably have an effect on season 8 I wouldn't think, but one thing they don't want to do is risk much with this new Coronavirus... It's way worse than the media is letting off and can you imagine the bad press and lawsuits that would follow if someone on the race contracted it... Granted that's a worse case scenario, but if it were to happen, and it very easily could, no "Waiver" a contestant would sign would have a chance at stopping a law suit from the families and probably the contestants as well. Gross negligence comes to mind, and the Network would be in a WORLD of hurt.

Best thing to do would be to let this Coronavirus blow over and film late, better safe than sorry!

Offline TurkishDelight

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2020, 02:49:32 PM »
To add to my post above: "Canadians being told to prepare for a possible novel coronavirus pandemic" - https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/canadians-being-told-to-prepare-for-a-possible-novel-coronavirus-pandemic

It would be very unwise for ANY Network to film a show like this that involves so much travel in a time like this, it's literally just an unnecessary risk for the contestants and the Network IMO

Offline ovalorange

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2020, 03:50:29 AM »
It's not like this show leaves the country, what could possibly be the risk

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2020, 08:57:06 AM »
First of all the show won't be sued if someone were to get a virus lol. They sign multiple waivers. No one is making them go.

And yes viruses can be in Canada just like anywhere else. They do not respect borders, Hence the worldwide concern over the rapid spread.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2020, 03:13:07 AM »
Back on Feb 7 I posted my concern for the coronavirus..when I first mentioned it to friends re season 8 I think I was a circle of one in my view that this was going to be something big. It certainly has. Anyone who thinks this will not be a concern of the producers is putting blinders on. Only Trump thinks the # of cases will go down to zero soon.

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2020, 05:35:11 PM »
Well, with TAR33 halting production due to coronavirus, it will interesting to see what TAR Canada 8 does with the coronavirus!

Considering they will most likely only film inside Canada, it will be interesting to see if we get a mid-April start as we usually do!

Offline TurkishDelight

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2020, 06:16:04 PM »
First of all the show won't be sued if someone were to get a virus lol. They sign multiple waivers. No one is making them go.

And yes viruses can be in Canada just like anywhere else. They do not respect borders, Hence the worldwide concern over the rapid spread.

It would be really bad press, and yeah I'm sure they do sign multiple waivers, however, there is a certain amount of responsibility by the network to not put anyone in a dangerous position. This Coronavirus is getting worse and worse, it's rather scary to be honest, and unnecessary travel in a time such as this just seems plain dumb to me

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2020, 06:53:06 AM »

It would be really bad press, and yeah I'm sure they do sign multiple waivers, however, there is a certain amount of responsibility by the network to not put anyone in a dangerous position. This Coronavirus is getting worse and worse, it's rather scary to be honest, and unnecessary travel in a time such as this just seems plain dumb to me

I totally agree with you, this is serious business. I don't see how they could keep the racers safe now...flying is not a great idea. And every location requires backup medical and that won't be happening now.I 'll be interested to see what they decide. I expect the US version is hoping to be able to re-film as well  this summer...I doubt that would happen either. We are living in a different world right now.  :'(
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2020, 02:56:50 PM »
With BB Canada ending their season, interesting that we haven't heard anything about TARC8. At this point, they should come out and just say they won't be able to film this summer. Even if cases fall rapidly in Canada in the next month or two or three, it's definitely not a good idea to have a cast and crew flying all over the country.

Online Xoruz

• RFF LInk Master!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2020, 03:04:47 PM »
With BB Canada ending their season, interesting that we haven't heard anything about TARC8. At this point, they should come out and just say they won't be able to film this summer. Even if cases fall rapidly in Canada in the next month or two or three, it's definitely not a good idea to have a cast and crew flying all over the country.

https://torontosun.com/entertainment/movies/covid-19-how-coronavirus-is-sending-the-entertainment-industry-into-uncharted-territory

"Although we’re still a few months away from filming The Amazing Race Canada, we are monitoring the situation very closely," Mike Cosentino, President of Content and Programming at Bell Media, tells the Sun. "Any decisions around the upcoming eighth season will be made with the health and safety of the Racers and the crew as the top priority."

That was two weeks ago. The Ontario Premier has ordered the closure of all non-essential businesses in the province by the end of today, which is why Insight Productions had to stop BBCAN 8 and will most likely not film TARC this year.

Online Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2020, 01:22:49 PM »
Unless things improve, it's 100% not happening in May as per usual. Right now in Canada as of a few days ago, at least in my part, you now have to self-isolate if you even cross provincial borders.

Offline TurkishDelight

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2020, 05:02:36 AM »
It's like I said a couple months ago, "It would be irresponsible of them not to cancel, or at least 'post-pone' this season.. I was actually shocked when people disagreed with me.... Anyways, they did, as they should have, and based on the 'team' that I know who were actually selected to be on the race (Not as alternatives), they have said they will start filming again in July for season 8, but in all honesty, that was obviously just a guess).

I guess we will see what actually happens, but I'm still of the same opinion when it comes to the integrity of a show like this. The people I know blab and blab about how awesome they are, and how they are going to become superstars because of this, and how th eproducers love them and hit on them.... It pisses me off because, well, shut the hell up. It's an awesome show, and believe it or not, the more people you try and swear to 'secrecy' doesn't matter.

Season 8 will undoubtely be back, I just hope they screen their people better in the future because I can guarantee there will be tons of unnecessary leaks once this starts to ramp up again, from the inside based on the 'contestants' I personally know.

Cheers