Author Topic: TAR Vietnam Season 6: SHOW Discussion  (Read 515494 times)

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
Re: TAR Vietnam Season 6: SHOW Discussion
« Reply #125 on: August 31, 2019, 04:59:59 PM »
The men in suits hovering around the teams during the Leg were obviously their handlers for the day, making sure everything went according to the specific, detailed and well-orchestrated plan. Very ominous and strange.

What intrigues me the most about international TAR is seeing locations from another country's perspective and seeing countries TAR US hasn't gone to or can't go to. I've wondered for some time if a leg in DPRK was possible from TAR China for example, but I always thought that it would be a logistical nightmare (reading an interview with a TARV producer, it took several months to get permission to film). So, I still in awe that this leg actually happened.

Show content
The fact that this leg was kept a secret to this cast until they reached Beijing is a little crazy and a little disturbing. Even if Vietnam has better relations with DPRK than the West, their reactions reading the clue said everything. Any leg in Pyongyang was going to be limited compared to other locations, and this leg was as competitive as it was going to be despite limitations. In a leg that visited Pyongyang, how is the most surprising thing the return of the final 4 finale?

The most surprising thing is the simple fact that they went there. We were never going to get anything shocking or surprising from the actual Leg and episode since it obviously had to be carefully orchestrated.

The pungmul and the hangul tasks were both something you could easily stage south of the DMZ too. The only North Korean-specific things in the episode were the men in suits and the ceremony at the monument to the elder Kims.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 05:05:05 PM by dryedmangoez »

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #126 on: August 31, 2019, 05:09:32 PM »
Anyway, what are the relationships of the teams? Like I see "Blind Dating" for a lot of them. What does that mean? Did they not know each other before the Race? I know they're all celebs. Were they just put together by the show?

Like for example, MLee and Quoc Anh are listed as "Blind Dating," but they've known each other for a few years and have even been rumored to be actually dating since they filmed her MV before. I'm confused lol

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #127 on: August 31, 2019, 08:17:27 PM »
The point of this leg was just the producers wanting to prove they could push the envelope, I suppose.

Offline Musicon

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #128 on: September 01, 2019, 03:11:40 AM »
The dancing task was the best part, the guy who had to do it on his own definitely wasn't a dancer.  I'm assuming on the lettering task there was a time penalty for each mistake made.  I was curious how they were using their hands/fingers to remember it.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 03:15:13 AM by Musicon »

Offline bvd

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #129 on: September 01, 2019, 01:17:12 PM »
The dancing task was the best part, the guy who had to do it on his own definitely wasn't a dancer.  I'm assuming on the lettering task there was a time penalty for each mistake made.  I was curious how they were using their hands/fingers to remember it.
The time limit for the dancing task is 2 hours. After the time limit, the teams must try again and again until they pass.
The time penalty was 5 minutes for each mistake in the lettering task.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #130 on: September 01, 2019, 10:40:19 PM »
Anyway, what are the relationships of the teams? Like I see "Blind Dating" for a lot of them. What does that mean? Did they not know each other before the Race? I know they're all celebs. Were they just put together by the show?

Like for example, MLee and Quoc Anh are listed as "Blind Dating," but they've known each other for a few years and have even been rumored to be actually dating since they filmed her MV before. I'm confused lol

Are you talking about on the other Amazing Race wiki? I asked about that in this thread weeks ago but nobody answered me.

This leg was really nice. I actually really enjoyed it and I was impressed by the amount of...freedom(?) they had, relatively speaking of course. The media portrays North Korea as a place where you need government and military permission just to walk to your mailbox, but it's really nice to see normal, everyday life in Pyongyang. Despite whatever the government may be like, North Korea does in fact have mothers walking the street with their little kids in tow, men walking to work, smiling older ladies running a museum, etc.

Do Orange team get a penalty?
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline tatasport

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #131 on: September 02, 2019, 12:08:38 AM »

Are you talking about on the other Amazing Race wiki? I asked about that in this thread weeks ago but nobody answered me.

This leg was really nice. I actually really enjoyed it and I was impressed by the amount of...freedom(?) they had, relatively speaking of course. The media portrays North Korea as a place where you need government and military permission just to walk to your mailbox, but it's really nice to see normal, everyday life in Pyongyang. Despite whatever the government may be like, North Korea does in fact have mothers walking the street with their little kids in tow, men walking to work, smiling older ladies running a museum, etc.

Do Orange team get a penalty?

As far as I understood, they got a penalty for the wrong words written or something? For each letter, if they're wrong, they'd get 5 minutes penalty each–and so that team got 20 something as far as I remember.
הפעם עד הגמר - זירה, 2016
🇮🇱🇫🇷

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #132 on: September 02, 2019, 12:43:45 AM »
I mean a non-elimination penalty for the next leg.
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline bvd

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #133 on: September 02, 2019, 06:08:10 PM »
No, Orange team did not receive any penalty.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #134 on: September 02, 2019, 07:05:58 PM »

I'm guessing they also didn't count it as a Keep on Racing leg like TAR25 and TAR26 did?

Offline degenerasian

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #135 on: September 03, 2019, 11:41:34 AM »

I'm guessing they also didn't count it as a Keep on Racing leg like TAR25 and TAR26 did?

Nope, they're just making it up as they go.

Vietnamese netizens are pretty unimpressed with this season. They think it's fixed as the celebrity teams have pretty much gone out in order of fame.
The three Miss Vietnam's (H'hen Nie, My Linh and Ky Duyen) are the most popular and are still in it. Ky Duyen has been saved twice (salvage pass and non-elimination with no penalty).

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #136 on: September 03, 2019, 10:05:04 PM »
I guess it's good for me who isn't familiar with any of the teams, except for H'hen Nie, so I wouldn't know who's the next popular team thus next eliminated hehe

I've enjoyed the season. I feel like the editing seems a little quicker this season than previous ones? Or maybe it's been a long 3 years that I don't remember the last season.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #137 on: September 04, 2019, 04:10:46 PM »
I've enjoyed the season. I feel like the editing seems a little quicker this season than previous ones? Or maybe it's been a long 3 years that I don't remember the last season.

You are definitely misremembering. I just rewatched Season 5 (All-Stars) recently, which had some of the slowest editing evvvvvvvvvvver. I used to have good memories of that season, but watching it again it was soooooo boring...

Offline Xoruz

• RFF LInk Master!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #138 on: September 07, 2019, 03:24:14 PM »
Show content
This episode aired on Lệ Hằng's birthday, so it had to be a treat to become champions on that day.

Congratulations Lệ Hằng and H'Hen Niê :conf:

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #139 on: September 08, 2019, 12:34:36 AM »
So! The Leg seemed to have been decided at the insane raft task. I don't think I've ever seen so much trouble with building rafts before on TAR! lol The two huge barrels seem to have given teams all that trouble. And the Blue and Red teams must have fallen so far behind because of it.

The puzzles task was alright. Seems like a simple task on paper, but it gets teams thinking on the Final Leg which isn't normally the case. I certainly wouldn't have gotten the 29-1=30 part of the task lol

The Sting Road Block was pretty much like previous Sting challenges and jump off and grab tasks from other TARs too.

The balloons in the pool to bring up the treasure chest was amazing to me. I never realized you could do that  :funny: It makes sense though considering balloons float on the water of course.

At the final memory task/quiz it seems like Yellow Team had to sit out a penalty (from a wrong answer?) since they were seen sitting off to the side while the Brown Team were starting to answer questions.

But on the way to the Finish Line, it looks like the two teams had run into each other. Strange!
https://i.imgur.com/UNWgVoV.jpg

But overall, a physical Final Leg and unlike TARC, I actually wouldn't have minded any of these four teams winning  :clap2:  :funny:

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #140 on: September 08, 2019, 12:39:33 AM »
So nice how TARV has a fans day/finale watch party with fans.
https://www.facebook.com/cuocduakythuvn/posts/2092056380894162

TARUS would never  :funny:

Offline degenerasian

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #141 on: September 08, 2019, 07:48:00 PM »
From this article:

http://m.kenh14.vn/st-son-thach-binh-an-co-nhung-chang-btc-cuoc-dua-ky-thu-muon-doi-nau-cham-lai-mot-chut-20190908123812796.chn

The final was actually 2 days.

The yellow team won by 2 minutes. S.T  says that a group of fans pointed them in the wrong direction.

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #142 on: September 08, 2019, 09:48:43 PM »
The raft and puzzle tasks must have been on the first day with the rest on the second day. It was getting pretty late when the teams were finishing their rafts and at the puzzles.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #143 on: September 08, 2019, 11:01:32 PM »
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllll that's all she wrote.

After recently rewatching TARV5 I can say this was an improvement over that awful season, but TAR Vietnam is still plagued with so many problems. It's the kind of thing where unfortunately, I don't see it improving. Not unless they get a much larger budget.

That being said, it was nice to FINALLY have a final leg that WASN'T in Ho Chi Minh City!

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #144 on: September 09, 2019, 01:36:16 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong because I'm terrible at faces, S.T started doing the final Roadblock and then he switched with Binh An, right?

Offline degenerasian

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #145 on: September 09, 2019, 07:34:32 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong because I'm terrible at faces, S.T started doing the final Roadblock and then he switched with Binh An, right?

Yes

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #146 on: September 09, 2019, 11:20:45 AM »
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllll that's all she wrote.

After recently rewatching TARV5 I can say this was an improvement over that awful season, but TAR Vietnam is still plagued with so many problems. It's the kind of thing where unfortunately, I don't see it improving. Not unless they get a much larger budget.

That being said, it was nice to FINALLY have a final leg that WASN'T in Ho Chi Minh City!

V5 is unfortunately remembered for the death of that cameraman in Australia :(