Author Topic: TAR 33 ORIGINAL PRE-RACE Speculation (dates/cast/routes)  (Read 106895 times)

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
Re: TAR 33 PRE-RACE Speculation (dates/cast/routes)
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2019, 04:23:17 PM »
I’ve not read anything to suggest TAR 33 has been already cast.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Brannockdevice

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2019, 07:38:21 PM »
I’ve not read anything to suggest TAR 33 has been already cast.

Plus, right now we only have Season 32 confirmed. There’s no way they’re already casting two seasons in advance
"Exploration is really the essence of the human spirit." -Frank Borman

Offline cerealking

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2019, 08:44:43 PM »
You think we'll have two seasons air next year? Maybe 32 in the winter and 33 over the summer or as a fall replacement?  Don't see 34 shooting until probably this time next year

Offline TARUSAFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2019, 09:05:05 PM »
It will start & end in the United States. The finale city will be in some airport hub city or easily connectable.

I died laughing at this. :funny: :clap2:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2019, 09:02:21 PM »
I’m pretty sure Jody meant the semifinal phase of casting interviews. They initially review all applications as they are submitted year round.

I think she meant exactly what she said. 
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Brannockdevice

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2019, 01:42:39 AM »
Hey everyone! I'm back for some more analysis  :funny:

I want to talk about a specific region of the world that the Race often visits - East Asia (for clarification, my definition of East Asia includes China, Japan, North & South Korea and Taiwan).

This region of the world is visited frequently. In fact, East Asia has only been skipped a sum total of seven times - it was skipped in Seasons 3, 5, 7, 13, 22, 25 & 32. Especially since it was skipped last season, I think it's definitely up for another visit this time around. However, there are a few things I would like to point out.

Because the United States is currently having some strained relations with Mainland China, I don't think it will be visited. Granted, just because the governments are having some issues doesn't necessarily mean that tourism and such would be affected. That being said, I will be surprised if the Mainland is visited.

Also, there are some protests in Hong Kong right now. I know there is a general consensus of an October/November visit, so conditions could clear up by then. If I was production though (which I'm not), I wouldn't risk it. Again, I would be surprised if Hong Kong was visited. Plus, it was just visited in Seasons 27 and 30.

I'm also skeptical of a visit to Japan, but much less so than China. In past seasons, Japan has, for the most part, followed a very nice pattern of being visited every three seasons: Seasons 9, 12, 15, and 18 had Japan, and then again in 20, 23, and 26. I'm actually a little surprised they waited five whole seasons between 26 and 31 for another visit. I know this is a reach, but a visit in 33 would go against the pattern. I do concede that a visit to Japan is much more likely than China. However, I would at least hope that they go to another city besides Tokyo. I would be quite pleased with a first time visit to Kyoto or a return to Osaka.

That being said, I think the most likely candidates are Taiwan and South Korea. Taipei and Seoul are quite capable of hosting legs again, but perhaps we could see new visits to cities like Kaohsiung, Busan, Daegu, Gwangju or Jeju. If I could add a personal note with a touch of analysis, I would also not rule out an exclusive visit to Macau. The only full Macau leg was Season 11, and if you ask me it was not a memorable one. Perhaps we could take a lesson from the Canadian and Australian legs.  :bow:

Thanks for reading! I know it was long, but hopefully thought out and analyzed well! Let me know your opinions on a visit to East Asia!

Offline Parovic

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2019, 01:54:16 AM »

I want to talk about a specific region of the world that the Race often visits - East Asia (for clarification, my definition of East Asia includes China, Japan, North & South Korea and Taiwan).

This region of the world is visited frequently. In fact, East Asia has only been skipped a sum total of seven times - it was skipped in Seasons 3, 5, 7, 13, 22, 25 & 32. Especially since it was skipped last season, I think it's definitely up for another visit this time around. However, there are a few things I would like to point out.

Because the United States is currently having some strained relations with Mainland China, I don't think it will be visited. Granted, just because the governments are having some issues doesn't necessarily mean that tourism and such would be affected. That being said, I will be surprised if the Mainland is visited.

Also, there are some protests in Hong Kong right now. I know there is a general consensus of an October/November visit, so conditions could clear up by then. If I was production though (which I'm not), I wouldn't risk it. Again, I would be surprised if Hong Kong was visited. Plus, it was just visited in Seasons 27 and 30.

I'm also skeptical of a visit to Japan, but much less so than China. In past seasons, Japan has, for the most part, followed a very nice pattern of being visited every three seasons: Seasons 9, 12, 15, and 18 had Japan, and then again in 20, 23, and 26. I'm actually a little surprised they waited five whole seasons between 26 and 31 for another visit. I know this is a reach, but a visit in 33 would go against the pattern. I do concede that a visit to Japan is much more likely than China. However, I would at least hope that they go to another city besides Tokyo. I would be quite pleased with a first time visit to Kyoto or a return to Osaka.

That being said, I think the most likely candidates are Taiwan and South Korea. Taipei and Seoul are quite capable of hosting legs again, but perhaps we could see new visits to cities like Kaohsiung, Busan, Daegu, Gwangju or Jeju. If I could add a personal note with a touch of analysis, I would also not rule out an exclusive visit to Macau. The only full Macau leg was Season 11, and if you ask me it was not a memorable one. Perhaps we could take a lesson from the Canadian and Australian legs.  :bow:

Thanks for reading! I know it was long, but hopefully thought out and analyzed well! Let me know your opinions on a visit to East Asia!

Hong Kong is safe at this moment
The dispute is not that severe right now

I am leaning towards South Korea especially Seoul has a big airport and other countries have some issue with US

Offline cerealking

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2019, 10:20:51 PM »

Hong Kong is safe at this moment
The dispute is not that severe right now

I am leaning towards South Korea especially Seoul has a big airport and other countries have some issue with US

Agreed. SK is the most likely place they’ll visit. They’ve been there recently but Japan is more even more recent and China/HK are both probably out for political reasons . They’re not going to miss East Asia two seasons in a row.

Offline zacz

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2019, 09:28:38 AM »
I know its unlikely since season 32 is South America heavy but I've always wanted them to visit the Guianas (Guyana, Suriname and French Guiana), From what I've read they are quite safe to visit. The only reasons I can think of why they have been avoided for so long are that there are very few flights in and out making connections difficult and also the proximity to Venezuela.

One issue I have with modern race legs if that they all take place close to major cities. Even the 'rural' legs are usually under 2 hours from a major city. I understand the reasons (there is much less travelling and legs are relatively more condensed and shorter than in the past due to budget issues) but it really does minimise the possible options within a country. It also increases the chance that when a country is revisited the same big cities are used for legs rather than a smaller locatation. I would love a more rural based race which avoids almost all major cities but I am aware this is completely unrealistic.

Offline Brannockdevice

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2019, 03:29:11 PM »
I know its unlikely since season 32 is South America heavy but I've always wanted them to visit the Guianas (Guyana, Suriname and French Guiana), From what I've read they are quite safe to visit. The only reasons I can think of why they have been avoided for so long are that there are very few flights in and out making connections difficult and also the proximity to Venezuela.

One issue I have with modern race legs if that they all take place close to major cities. Even the 'rural' legs are usually under 2 hours from a major city. I understand the reasons (there is much less travelling and legs are relatively more condensed and shorter than in the past due to budget issues) but it really does minimise the possible options within a country. It also increases the chance that when a country is revisited the same big cities are used for legs rather than a smaller locatation. I would love a more rural based race which avoids almost all major cities but I am aware this is completely unrealistic.

I think these countries in South America are viable, especially in a winter season! I think it’s would definitely be possible, in terms of airports, for us to see something akin to JFK to GEO (Georgetown, Guyana) to PBM (Paramaribo, Suriname) to AMS, as there are nonstop flights between each.

Offline cerealking

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2019, 11:37:59 PM »
Has there ever been an Urban South Africa leg? They haven't been there since 7 and both Cape Town and Joburg are gorgeous. Also, they've never been to Nigeria. I'd think that Lagos would be the kind of place they'd like to go. Oceania/Africa heavy is the way to go this time around imo. It's never quite been done before.

Offline Brannockdevice

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2019, 01:50:59 AM »
If memory serves correct I don’t believe so. The urban Harare leg in season 30 was my favorite of all time because it had a genuine urban African leg that showed the average American, “hey, there are skyscrapers and cities in Africa too!” I think it would be totally possible to have, for example, a completely urban Johannesburg leg as leg 1! It would also serve as a great hub to go anywhere else in Southern Africa.

Offline TARUSAFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2019, 02:42:57 AM »
I hope the producers came across Brannockdevice's analyses.  :cheer:

Offline naejae91

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2019, 03:18:48 AM »
Has there ever been an Urban South Africa leg? They haven't been there since 7 and both Cape Town and Joburg are gorgeous. Also, they've never been to Nigeria. I'd think that Lagos would be the kind of place they'd like to go. Oceania/Africa heavy is the way to go this time around imo. It's never quite been done before.

You mean urban Southern Africa leg? Yeah I believe we have couple of these including 11 Maputo, 19 Lilongwe, and 30 Harare leg. Also I believe TAR2 have done something Oceania/Africa or south hemisphere heavy route mainly due to no Europe leg.

Also Re: Leg 1 Johannesburg leg
I think only 1 and 17 we have pre-Leg 3 super early Africa leg in TARUS so yeah it would be interesting to see super early Africa leg again. But then this let me thinking we almost never seen TARUS doing F5/F4 late endgame Africa leg that only done on 10 Morocco which is a F4 NEL visit. I also eager to see (South) Africa in leg 10 and 11 before they back to US for final leg.
TAR25/TAR29: Modern classic season.

Offline Brannockdevice

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2019, 04:18:37 AM »
I hope the producers came across Brannockdevice's analyses.  :cheer:

I do try my best! I can probably do more of these little things when I get the time!

Offline cerealking

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2019, 07:55:08 AM »

You mean urban Southern Africa leg? Yeah I believe we have couple of these including 11 Maputo, 19 Lilongwe, and 30 Harare leg. Also I believe TAR2 have done something Oceania/Africa or south hemisphere heavy route mainly due to no Europe leg.

I think only 1 and 17 we have pre-Leg 3 super early Africa leg in TARUS so yeah it would be interesting to see super early Africa leg again. But then this let me thinking we almost never seen TARUS doing F5/F4 late endgame Africa leg that only done on 10 Morocco which is a F4 NEL visit. I also eager to see (South) Africa in leg 10 and 11 before they back to US for final leg.

I mean South Africa as in the country.

Offline naejae91

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2019, 08:37:58 AM »

So we only have 2 and 7 South Africa visit, all happen in early leg of the race. As said before it would be nice to change of pace and would make such unique route by having South Africa (or any general Africa) visit on F5/F4 late endgame stage of the race before back to US.
TAR25/TAR29: Modern classic season.

Offline BritishTARFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2019, 12:23:43 PM »

There has been a leg in Cape Town, a city.

Offline claude_24hrs

• " I am Claude "
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Not interested with fantasy games
    • Facebook
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2019, 07:10:01 AM »

Yes, it was season 2.

Offline claude_24hrs

• " I am Claude "
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2019, 07:37:15 AM »
After I watched the finale of TAR 31, I have reviewed Brannockdevice's analysis on TAR 33:

Oceania: As we had discussed before, Oceania is long overdue that is likely for Season 33 as Australia could be the first international country.

Asia: Singapore is such as undervisited Asian nation as its being famous in Crazy Rich Asians, because tourism has continued popularity the locations such as Gardens by the Bay, CHIJMES and Newton Food Centre are the best places depicted from the novel turned film. Nepal is a long wait for its visit in TAR. Kathmandu has many Hindu temples.

Europe: Bulgaria and Latvia are considered to be overlooked on their individual first visits. Bulgaria is place for worship to see Orthodox churches and monasteries. Latvia has seen in the recent season of The Bachelorette where its episode aired more recently. Bungee Sigulda would be the better place for thrilled bungee seekers. Spain in other hand, like Australia, it is long overdue for a visit as Barcelona is the best Spanish city could be getting visited.

Africa: Same as Brannock's analysis, that could be better for Season 33. South Africa would finally have its chance to visit once again after more than a decade last visited was in Season 7. Like Australia and Spain, it is long overdue.

South America: Since the continent was skipped in Seasons 30 and 31, with three separate countries into three legs last season. It could get a chance to have a penultimate leg in a major South American city: Sao Paulo, Brazil.

That being mentioned above, three new countries to be ever visited in the race, with one from last season and two in Season 31.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 07:41:20 AM by claude_24hrs »

Offline Brannockdevice

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2019, 11:08:48 PM »
Great thoughts Claude! I agree with everything, although I am curious - what makes you say Sao Paulo?

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2019, 07:09:34 AM »

Yes, it was season 2.

Season 7 also visited Soweto.

Offline claude_24hrs

• " I am Claude "
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2019, 08:52:52 AM »
Great thoughts Claude! I agree with everything, although I am curious - what makes you say Sao Paulo?

Sao Paulo is being the largest and most populous city of South America. It was visited in TAR 9 and TAR 29. Like Shenzhen (TAR 28), Seoul (TAR 29), Hong Kong (TAR 30), London (TAR 31) and Manila (TAR 32). Every penultimate leg could have hosting a bigger city.

Offline cerealking

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2019, 10:21:23 AM »

Yes, it was season 2.

Season 7 also visited Soweto.

So it’s been a really long time either way you swing it. Cairo, Lagos, Kinshasa, and Joburg are the biggest metro areas in Africa and they’ve only ever been to two. I understand why they probably don’t want to go to the DRC and Egypt but it’s really crazy they’ve never been to Lagos and it’s been such a long time since they’ve gone to Joburg.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 10:25:37 AM by cerealking »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2019, 11:02:02 AM »
Jo-burg isn't as safe as it was a few years back. :duno:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.