Author Topic: TAR31 Ratings  (Read 17595 times)

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
Re: TAR31 Ratings
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2019, 07:01:50 PM »
As we’ve seen in the pre May 15th episodes, there’s consistently been another noticeable bump up with live plus seven numbers. And some local markets have had to deal with severe weather and pro sports playoffs (NBA and NHL) which also affect live numbers and live plus same day.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2019, 05:27:42 PM »
I don't understand how live numbers could be less important when the vast majority just forwards through the ads in DVRs.
I just seriously don't get it, and this has been a point rammed into the ground over and over again by certain people.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2019, 06:53:58 PM »
I don't understand how live numbers could be less important when the vast majority just forwards through the ads in DVRs.
I just seriously don't get it, and this has been a point rammed into the ground over and over again by certain people.

Because broadcasters and streamers have confirmed through years of research that an increasing percentage of viewers time shift their viewing. The thing to keep in mind, is the different shows have different levels of time shifted viewing. For TAR, that percentage seven days out is a 40 plus percent increase in the 18-49 demo, and 50 percent among total viewers. Others shows can be higher or lower, thus it can’t be assumed that live audiences will show the whole viewership story. Off the top of my head, TAR 31 in both categories after 7 days is running even with TAR 30, thus supporting that argument that the Wednesday night time slot is an advantage.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2019, 07:24:39 PM »
You talked about something completely unrelated to my question, lol.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2019, 08:31:33 PM »
Then maybe you need to better express your question. That was the best I could respond to what you asked.
-- theschnauzers

Offline ghostbusted

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2019, 11:17:00 PM »
I will try to weigh in on the question. I think the question concerns whether advertisers derive any benefit from time shifted viewers that would justify being concerned with the plus x day ratings. I know that I, personally, time shift many shows that I watch just so that I can use the 'wonderful' skip button on my Tivo. Therefore, my watching wouldn't benefit advertisers very much since I don't see their ads.

Offline TheRabbi

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2019, 09:45:22 AM »
DVR numbers are nice, but don't be fooled into thinking that Live numbers aren't important. For the most part, the biggest benefits in DVR gainers are the biggest rated shows to begin with. It's extremely rare to see a show that doesn't rate very well in Live ratings add more than other shows in DVR. Your Big Bang Theory's and Walking Deads are always going to be the biggest DVR gainers, as they are the biggest shows. Generally, the rich get richer and the poor get slightly less poor.

And I know I'll get countered with "percentage increase" arguments, but those are pointless. Would a network rather have a show add 75% of a 0.8 Live rating and get to a 1.4 after 7 days, or add 20% of a 1.5 Live rating and get to a 1.8?

If you want to help the show, stream it on CBS's website (I know it used to free, I'm not sure if it's locked behind All Access now). Only Nielsen homes get counted in Live or DVR ratings, but CBS gets to see exactly how many people stream on their sites. Also, throw out some #AmazingRace tweets during an episode, as social engagement is measured now as well, and it's only a matter of time before that factors into advertising as well (if it doesn't already).

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #57 on: June 03, 2019, 02:30:36 PM »
Then maybe you need to better express your question. That was the best I could respond to what you asked.
I'm saying that I don't understand the delusions in looking at the poor ratings/viewerships TAR has been getting in recent years and saying it's fine because adding DVR numbers make it decent.
I have no idea why advertisers would show a huge interest in shows that only rank high after DVR stuff is added in when, you know, the people watching DVRs have and take the option to forward through all the pesky ads?

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2019, 04:28:08 PM »
Marionette, all broadcast shows have suffered substantial ratings declines every year for about the last ten years. So a viable show now needs a lower threshold than it used to.

And TheRabbi, the ability to track viewership has vastly improved over the last ten years for everything except viewers using over the air antennas. The ability exists for cable providers, streaming services, such as DirectvNow, as well as more specific streaming apps to track what all their subscribers are watching live or time shifted. This is so different than what it was even 5 years ago.
-- theschnauzers

Offline TheRabbi

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2019, 06:55:35 PM »
That's why I said to go stream it on CBS. Streaming is trackable. But for the many, many people still watching on traditional cable (and DVR), the only way you're [legally] getting tracked is if you have a Nielsen box.

Yes, the standards for renewing shows has changed significantly in the last 5-10 years in regards to raw numbers, but Live ratings are still important and should not be overlooked. Shows with bad Live numbers are still getting canceled. I didn't hear much about the World's Best at CBS's upfront. It had terrible ratings and was canceled.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2019, 12:48:49 AM »
Just to be clear on what I was saying, cable and streaming services now have the capacity using technology from Nielsen and other to track viewing of all channels on their systems. My viewing TAR on either Directv Now, or CBS All Access gets tracked either way. That’s one of the differences that has rapidly spread in the past five years, and how they’re fully able to have live plus 30 data. You don’t have to be a Nielsen household anymore unless you watch CBS over the air without a cable or streaming service.
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2019, 08:11:29 AM »
^^ Which is actually kind of creepy.... 

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2019, 04:27:45 PM »
Live plus seven days in 18 to 49 demo:

#13 Amazing Race (8:00) (S) (CBS, Wed. 5/22/19) +0.48 (L+SD: 0.82; L+7: 1.30)

#9 Amazing Race (9:00) (CBS, Wed. 5/22/19) +0.56 (L+SD: 0.67; L+7: 1.23)

Live plus seven days in total audience:

#13 Amazing Race (8:00) (S) (CBS, Wed. 5/22/19) +1.837m (L+SD: 4.243m; L+7: 6.080m)

#11 Amazing Race (9:00) (CBS, Wed. 5/22/19) +2.153m (L+SD: 3.704m; L+7: 5.857m)

Read more: https://programminginsider.com/live7-weekly-ratings-live-in-front-of-a-studio-audience-ranks-among-top-ten-in-raw-gains/
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 01:54:26 PM by theschnauzers »
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2019, 12:15:13 PM »
NBC's American Ninja Warrior led Wednesday's non-sports offerings in primetime with a 0.9 rating among adults 18-49, followed closely by The Amazing Race (0.8) on CBS. The latter had a small edge in total viewers with 4.65 million to 4.34 million for Ninja Warrior.

The NBA Finals put up consistent ratings on Wednesday, once again carrying ABC to an easy win for the night.

As was the case with the first two games of the series, however, Game 3 was down significantly year to year.

ABC's live broadcast of the Toronto Raptors' 123-109 win over the Golden State Warriors drew a 10.0 household rating in metered markets, in line with the 10.1 and 10.2 for the first two contests. That's off 21 percent from a preliminary 12.7 in 2018 and the lowest for Game 3 of the series since 2013 (also 10.0).

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/nba-finals-remain-low-tv-ratings-wednesday-june-5-2019-1216243
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2019, 06:11:47 PM »
Marionette, all broadcast shows have suffered substantial ratings declines every year for about the last ten years. So a viable show now needs a lower threshold than it used to.
Yet another unrelated fact.
The ads. I'm talking about the ads and the advertisers. Those are the primary reasons why I don't see networks caring too much about live +something numbers.

P.S. that's not my username

Offline TheRabbi

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2019, 06:24:11 AM »
http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-150-wednesday-cable-originals-network-finals-6-5-2019.html Race adjusted up in the final Wednesday numbers to a 0.9 rating, tying Ninja Warrior in the slot, and improving week to week. Definitely good news! It really is a shame CBS has kind of squashed this show recently. It clearly can hold its own. We were all excited when 2 seasons filmed last year, but that hasn't altered CBS's scheduling of it.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #66 on: June 11, 2019, 04:53:34 PM »

Live plus 7 days in points and percentages for 18 to 49 demo:
#4 Amazing Race (P) (CBS, Wed. 5/29/19) +0.49 (L+SD: 0.81; L+7: 1.30)
#10 Amazing Race (P) (CBS, Wed. 5/29/19) +61% (L+SD: 0.81; L+7: 1.30)

Live plus 7 days in millions and percentages for total viewers:
#5 Amazing Race (P) (CBS, Wed. 5/29/19) +1.777m (L+SD: 4.748m; L+7: 6.525m)
#12 Amazing Race (P) (CBS, Wed. 5/29/19) +37.43% (L+SD: 4.748m; L+7: 6.525m)

The key here is that the numbers remained fairly consistent for TAR 31 regardless of whether it’s at 8pm or 9pm, and consistent with TAR 30, essentially showing that Wednesday nights have been better than the time slots of other recent seasons.

https://programminginsider.com/live7-weekly-ratings-americas-got-talent-season-premiere-leads-in-overall-gains/
-- theschnauzers