Author Topic: "Race Around the World"  (Read 44446 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: "Race Around the World"
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2019, 06:49:21 PM »
Lets post/remove the live stream links as we normally do. NumFarplease feel free to start threads.

If there are "official"ways to post the eps already aired (links by the show etc) feel free to post them. Unofficial links need to be run thru me please, I'll start a place if we need it.

Happy we can watch!!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Granth

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2019, 05:04:22 PM »
Farewell, Gutsy Grandmums: both > Jersey Shore.

1.) Elaine/Tony
2.) Shameema/Natalie
3.) Felix/Josh
4.) Darren/Alex
5.) Clare/Sue

Online Xoruz

• RFF LInk Master!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2019, 05:30:19 PM »
Due to the fact that there were only two routes across Turkey to reach Baku, this episode was less hectic than the premiere. At the same time, even though teams were a day behind, the race was still competitive. Also, the decreased number of routes allowed the show to slow down and develop its teams.

The cut from competitive race music with Darron & Alex to Josh & Felix singing "Can't Help Falling in Love."  :funny:

The Turkish barber wax.  :funny:

Sue & Claire stumbling onto Tony & Elaine's hotel coupled with the snark from the narrator calling it the hottest tourist spot in Tbilisi.  :funny:

Looking forward to Uzbekistan next week.

Offline NumfarPTB

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2019, 06:56:37 PM »
Sad to see the gradmas go. This was only episode 2, so I bet the budget, will probably become a huge issue in the next few episodes.

Was this the first time we got to see Alex doing the testimonials. I think during the 1st episode we only saw the dad doing them.

Offline Granth

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2019, 09:41:01 AM »
Nay, Alex the not-so-great did have some solo confessionals back in Europe.

Offline Musicon

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2019, 07:35:17 PM »
I saw the first episode and this definitely isn't The Amazing Race.  It's a different version of Lost from 2001, but the original was much quicker as each episode had a different cast.  The large amount of narration slows it down and makes us more distant from them, some things (like the work bits) feel very set up.  It would be more interesting if they had challenges to complete than just do boring jobs for money, and that would enable you to compare the teams more.  The casting feels very safe as well.

Offline Musicon

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2019, 08:36:39 PM »
The second leg was definitely much better, the end did seem to cram in too much Amazing Race editing manipulation to make the viewer guess the placings, do it for last place only maybe.  It seemed more like old style Amazing Race where it was all about navigation and not challenges (the job parts still seem perfunctory to me and the edit treats it like that).  I'm not sure why they need a GPS at the end just let them find their way, if it's really close it would make it more exciting. 

Offline Granth

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2019, 05:02:37 PM »
Another non-elimination:

1.) Darren/Alex
2.) Elaine/Tony
3.) Felix/Josh
4.) Shameema/Natalie

Offline Musicon

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2019, 05:10:08 PM »
The latest episode went back to not being The Amazing Race with the teams knowing from the start that it wasn't an elimination.  So it was more a travelogue, interesting in parts for scenery or transport choices and seeing if any big time difference was made.  But I with the teams weren't informed it was a non-elimination.  I don't know why they are given a sat-nav in the city at the end of legs.

Offline Granth

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2019, 05:33:46 PM »
Nice to see terra incognita with the Uzbeks and their majestic cities.

Online Xoruz

• RFF LInk Master!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2019, 06:19:16 PM »
That boat ride across the Caspian Sea looked rough. They spent 4 days without moving.  :faint:

The deserts of Uzbekistan, the Aral Sea, and the cities of Khiva, Samarkand, and Tashkent all looked gorgeous.

Darron accidentally eating drugs.  :funny:

Shameema saying she's 25 on her dinner date and the narrator correcting her age.  :funny:

Offline NumfarPTB

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2019, 04:10:21 AM »
The ship getting stuck was extremely frustrating, it was probably was something that producers were aware might happen, since they chose that as a "pit stop".
I think Shameena and Natalie has been the most entertaining team so far, wished they were faring better.

Offline Granth

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2019, 08:56:49 AM »
Nice to see terra incognita with the Uzbeks and their majestic cities.

Too bad that the next episode will essentially amount to China Rush 4.

Offline Granth

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2019, 05:04:38 PM »
A second To-Be-Continued, really?

1.) Darren/Alex
2.) Felix/Josh
3.) Shameema/Natalie
4.) Elaine/Tony

Offline Musicon

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2019, 07:37:14 PM »
It was more a non-elimination than TBC.  There was some interesting scenery and interaction with locals but the confessionals get repetitive going on about how close the teams are or about how the father/son are trying to get close.  They should have just made it a race rather than having detours that seem set up for jobs or sightseeing.

Offline Granth

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2019, 09:26:59 PM »
Same result regardless.

Offline NumfarPTB

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2019, 04:16:32 AM »
The Amazing Race this is not, however it is still interesting to see how each team experience the journey within the given parameters.

Curious of how the filming crew following each team is set-up.

For those following along, next episode is airing again at 8pm, not 9pm.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 06:10:35 AM by NumfarPTB »

Offline NumfarPTB

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2019, 01:47:45 PM »
Really do not understand the concept of having an elimination early in the race, then no eliminations at all after that, considering they did lose a team that had to be replaced, they should have just kept all 5 teams in.

1.) Elaine/Tony
1.) Darren/Alex
3.) Shameema/Natalie
3.) Felix/Josh

And they are over into day 40 of the race. We would have filmed almost 2 cycles of TAR in that time.

Offline Musicon

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2019, 01:58:13 PM »
More teams would have been better as it would have meant more of a race feel to the edit.

The main interest for me is the different travel choices and how that affects placings, that's how The Amazing Race started.  All the most interesting things about the local cultures tend to be around the transporting part, which does obviously take up much of the show.  The sightseeing (and work part) seem led by the producers to me, and the talk of the boy's maturing and the woman's hard life feels manipulative and repetitive. At least they are talking less now about how some people are supposedly always stingy.  I'm rooting for the replacement team, the business partners are a bit boring.

Offline Granth

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2019, 03:20:45 PM »
Really do not understand the concept of having an elimination early in the race, then no eliminations at all after that, considering they did lose a team that had to be replaced, they should have just kept all 5 teams in.

Precisely, I'd be miffed if I were one of Clare/Sue.

On a brighter note, this one-off show managed to visit the former Kampuchea when TAR: Asia has neither gone there nor cast a single Khmer on any of its five seasons - like, even the original American edition had second-boot Dennis H. from its 25th season.

Offline Granth

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2019, 03:02:12 PM »
Congratulations to Yorkshire's finest for bringing home the gold!

1.) Elaine/Tony
2.) Darren/Alex
3.) Shameema/Natalie
4.) Felix/Josh

P.S. Season Two confirmed.

Offline NumfarPTB

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2019, 03:06:25 PM »
Final result:

1.) Elaine/Tony
2.) Darren/Alex
3.) Shameema/Natalie
4.) Felix/Josh

Interesting ending and editors did attempt a very TAR style editing for who would finish first, but turns out there was a 3-hour gap between team that finished first and the second one.
Still miffed the 5th team wasn't included till the end.
3rd and 4th were almost a day behind top finishing teams. And Felix and Josh were almost not able to reach the finish line, cause they lacked the funds to head up to where the book was located, were not for the girls who had a healthy amount of budget left helping them. Do wonder how much of this were producers nudging, cause I still find hard that they'd spot the boys from the top floor.

Seems that the show has been picked up for a 2nd series, as the show ends with Tony and Elaine asking people to apply for the show.

Offline Musicon

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2019, 03:16:45 PM »
The only team I liked won, so I'm happy.  Relieved the father who's frightened of hamsters and goes on endlessly about his son didn't win.

The end was very Amazing Race edited so I could tell they were winning, the 'we can see them!!' is a typical thing to make viewers think it's close.  They always seemed ahead, I did wonder if even the day to recuperate the bad back was just to make it a closer race.  The moment at the end with money (Singapore money as well) needed for the elevator was a good touch.  And yes most likely the producers did tell a team to give the last placed team money, but I don't mind that particularly.

Online Xoruz

• RFF LInk Master!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2019, 03:19:23 PM »
Overall it was a good season. I do think though that the first half was way superior to the second half. By that time, the show was repeating several story points especially with Darron & Alex and Josh & Felix. Also, I'm still not sure why they did one elimination point on episode two. At the same time, it's crazy that a replacement team won the whole season.

Offline Granth

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2019, 03:20:26 PM »

Still miffed the 5th team wasn't included till the end.

Yes, and not just Clare/Sue, but also Jinda/Bindu.