Author Topic: TAR 30 EPISODE 6 LIVE UPDATES/COMMENTARY WED 1/31/18 8-9PM EST  (Read 27476 times)

Offline violetb1911

• RFF Sr. Member
Re: TAR 30 EPISODE 6 LIVE UPDATES/COMMENTARY WED 1/31/18 8-9PM EST
« Reply #75 on: February 02, 2018, 01:30:18 PM »
I still think people are making valid points about the production WANTING  a U-turn to eliminate a team.
Let's take a small analysis into U-turns in previous seasons, and the placement of the U-turn board:
---
From s20-s29, s29 has been the only season with a U-turn before the detour.
s29: Leg 3 - Tara and Joey u-turn Seth and Olive and they're eliminated.
       Leg 6 - Everybody plans and teams up against Vanck and Ashton, and collectively U-turn them, effectively eliminating them.
       Leg 8 - Brooke and Scott u-turn Liz and Michael and that coupled with a speed bump and self-driving, eliminated them.
Now delving into the seasons with u-turn boards post the detour:
s28: Leg 3 - a U-turn not even USED, so it went unaired.
       Leg 10 - Everybody plans and teams up against Brodie and Kurt, and collectively U-turn them, effectively eliminating them.
s27: Leg 4 - Everybody plans and teams up against Justin and Diana, but nobody lives up to the pact except for Tiffany and Krista and the u-turn was redundant.
       Leg 9 - Kelsey and Joey U-turn Tanner and Josh, and that coupled with a speed bump eliminates them.
       Leg 10 - Justin and Diana u-turn Logan and Chris, but Logan and Chris survive the u-turn.
s26: Leg 1 - A u-turn on the very first leg of the race, and Mike and Rochelle u-turn Jeff and Lyda, a u-turn that actually eliminates Jeff and Lyda. In retaliation Jeff and Lyda u-turn Jeff and Jackie, but the latter had long since passed the u-turn board making the second u-turn redundant.
       Leg 8 - Matt and Ashley u-turn Jelani and Jenny to eliminate their express pass, which they ended up using on the leg of expiry to bypass the u-turn regardless. In contrast, Laura and Tyler u-turn Aly and Steve, who, coupled with the speed bump and the u-turn are eliminated.
s25: Leg 5 - Shelley and Nici u-turn Keith and Whitney out of spite, and Keith and Whitney are eliminated. In retaliation, Keith and Whitney u-turn Amy and Maya, but Amy and Maya remained unaffected, rendering it redundant.
       Leg 9 - Amy and Maya u-turn Adam and Bethany, perceiving them as a threat. However, Adam and Bethany avoid it due to completing a fast-forward.
s24: Leg 8 - Brendon and Rachel u-turn Dave and Connor, perceiving them as a threat. As a polite formality to survive, Dave and Connor u-turn Leo and Jamal by consent (as far as I can recall). None of the u-turned teams are eliminated.
       Leg 10 - Leo and Jamal u-turn Jet and Cord, perceiving them as a threat. In vengeance for Leg 8, Caroline and Jennifer u-turn Brendon and Rachel but they are unaffected and one u-turn is redundant. Jet and cord are eliminated.
s23: Leg 5 - Tim and Danny u-turn Leo and Jamal, perceiving them as a threat. In retaliation, Leo and Jamal u-turn Brandon and Adam and this u-turn eliminated the latter.
       Leg 8 - Nicole and Travis u-turn Leo and Jamal, partly out of spite and partly because of them being a threat. In contrast, Tim and Marie u-turn Nicky and Kim, who alongside with a speed bump couldn't keep up and were eliminated.
s22: Leg 5 - Pam and Winnie u-turn Joey and Meghan, to eliminate an alliance. In retaliation, Joey and Meghan u-turn Chuck and Wynona, who would have been eliminated due to the u-turn had there not been a withdrawal from the race earlier in the leg.
        Leg 10 - Max and Katie and Bates and Anthony both u-turn in an attempt to eliminate Joey and Meghan and Mona and Beth's alliance, eliminating the former
s21: Leg 3 - Rob and Kelley u-turned Gary and Will, and granted it being a blind u-turn Gary and Will reciprocated the sentiment. However, Gary and Will weren't eliminated.
       Leg 9 - Jaymes and James u-turned Abbie and Ryan, in hopes of cancelling their 'double your million' prize. Trey and Lexi also u-turned Jaymes and James but the latter was unaffected and Abbie and Ryan were eliminated.
s20: Leg 8 - Art and JJ u-turn Brendon and Rachel out of spite, and consequently Brendon and Rachel u-turn Vanessa and Ralph out of spite. None of the u-turned teams were eliminated.
---

Obviously there are some things to be inferred from these observations and patterns. What do you think?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 01:38:15 PM by apatheticblues »

Online ianthebalance

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #76 on: February 02, 2018, 01:50:21 PM »
...The TAR 27 Leg 10 U-Turn was before the Detour

Offline zuzuspetals

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #77 on: February 02, 2018, 02:08:41 PM »
The hotel was completely cut from the episode! (for those who don't know there was spoilers coming from a hotel where teams had to get their clues, I guess it was probably the first route info before the Uturn)

Agreed that the Uturn before a task sucks...

I felt like Indy and lifeguards felt cheated by Jess because she said the missing word was something, let Indy try, and then wrote the right word. I guess it could have been worse and she could have run right after getting the clue without telling them, but in the end, the other two teams still felt cheated, and I feel like they will most probably get Uturn.

Speaking of luck, the skiers are a strong team but they must be getting a lot of breaks too.  Only one bad cabbie, that was inconsequential just before the fish-sorting task.

The lifeguards and the Yalees have very similar relationships.  It was NOT pleasant to see Evan being condescending to Henry over and over again.  And that ugly nose ring HAS TO GO.

I don't agree with you, the fact that the skiers got a very bad taxi, that put them in last place, but still finished the fishing task ahead of Indy, showed that they are a very good team, and not just lucky.

You're missing my point.  The skiers have had consistent good luck with cabbies for the entire race.  We can tell this because they have consistently arrived 'in order' (ie they leave task in third, they arrive at next task in third) and many times ahead of teams that they were behind.  The ONE time they got a bad cabbie was before the fish sorting task. which despite being early in the leg and amounting to nothing in the end, got WAY TOO MUCH screen time.

And they beat Indy in one task.  That shows they are A VERY GOOD TEAM ?  No, that shows Indy was very bad at fish-sorting.  What shows that the skiers are a very good team ?  Efficient completion of a multitude of different tasks.  The fact they they have placed high in every leg is really good luck with cabbies.

Offline ilovetoread

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #78 on: February 02, 2018, 02:51:21 PM »
Holy cow. I just saw that the partner swap is for the entire leg next week! Yikes!

Offline stunami

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #79 on: February 02, 2018, 02:52:41 PM »
The hotel was completely cut from the episode! (for those who don't know there was spoilers coming from a hotel where teams had to get their clues, I guess it was probably the first route info before the Uturn)

Agreed that the Uturn before a task sucks...

I felt like Indy and lifeguards felt cheated by Jess because she said the missing word was something, let Indy try, and then wrote the right word. I guess it could have been worse and she could have run right after getting the clue without telling them, but in the end, the other two teams still felt cheated, and I feel like they will most probably get Uturn.

Speaking of luck, the skiers are a strong team but they must be getting a lot of breaks too.  Only one bad cabbie, that was inconsequential just before the fish-sorting task.

The lifeguards and the Yalees have very similar relationships.  It was NOT pleasant to see Evan being condescending to Henry over and over again.  And that ugly nose ring HAS TO GO.

I don't agree with you, the fact that the skiers got a very bad taxi, that put them in last place, but still finished the fishing task ahead of Indy, showed that they are a very good team, and not just lucky.

You're missing my point.  The skiers have had consistent good luck with cabbies for the entire race.  We can tell this because they have consistently arrived 'in order' (ie they leave task in third, they arrive at next task in third) and many times ahead of teams that they were behind.  The ONE time they got a bad cabbie was before the fish sorting task. which despite being early in the leg and amounting to nothing in the end, got WAY TOO MUCH screen time.

And they beat Indy in one task.  That shows they are A VERY GOOD TEAM ?  No, that shows Indy was very bad at fish-sorting.  What shows that the skiers are a very good team ?  Efficient completion of a multitude of different tasks.  The fact they they have placed high in every leg is really good luck with cabbies.

I got your point, but most teams has got 'good luck' with taxi.... I agree with you that it looks like team big brother got a few 'bad taxi', but I don't remember the other teams leaving in X position and arriving later because of bad taxis. I just don't get why you feel like the skiers are the only one with good luck with cabbies. (I don't remember seeing Yale being screwed once with cabs, same with Indy and Lifeguards and twins, etc. )

Online ianthebalance

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #80 on: February 02, 2018, 08:26:30 PM »
There haven't been that many taxis so far this season. In two of the three legs with non self-driving had at least one point they had to travel on foot.

Offline ornaciawasrobbed

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #81 on: February 05, 2018, 12:03:50 AM »
I'm with everyone else, the U-Turn before the detour RUINED this leg. There's no suspense, we all just sat there knowing one of the last 3 teams would definitely get U-Turned and when they did, it wasn't dramatic, even the Trevor and Chris just shrugged.
Now imagine it was after the U-Turn when a lot of the teams had spent well over an hour looking for the place to deliver the beer, were starting to feel frantic and scared about their placements. If they'd got to the U-Turn after the detour, we more than likely would have had 2 teams U-Turned and probably one of them to their face!

The Switchback was easy and I do wish that for these mental roadblocks, they wouldn't be allowed to help each other. Trevor and Chris might have stood a chance if two of the teams didn't just get the answer from Jessica. Or at least design it in a way that only one person can enter the room to get their answer checked at a time. It'd have been way more dramatic and fun.

I liked the beer task but this leg was the most disappointing so far for me. I feel like TAR US has lost its way completely.

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #82 on: March 03, 2018, 01:34:06 AM »
W-turn: 1/10
Poorly placed.
For more information, please refer to my full post in the Joys & Disappointments thread. :)

Detour: 8/10
Balanced; historical and cultural. This is a bit physical with the stacking, requires attention to detail with the perfect measurement, and requires navigation to get to their clue. That is a mental challenge requiring memory skills mostly. Additional information were good distractions too.

Roadblock: 8/10
Switchback! Requires memory and concentration. Moderate in difficulty. Miscellaneous parts of the form were good distractions.

Leg Design: 5/10
Overall it would've been a decent leg without the U-turn at the start because of the moderately difficult tasks.

Episode: 5/10
Episode had potential. U-turn gave one team an unfair disadvantage. Tasks were moderate in difficulty. Overall episode showed culture and history.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 01:39:40 AM by Platrium »