Author Topic: Rules of the Hunt: How did production do this?  (Read 42777 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Rules of the Hunt: How did production do this?
« on: January 22, 2017, 12:51:05 AM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/0KgJP0R5cJI" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/0KgJP0R5cJI</a>
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 04:59:40 PM by georgiapeach »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Rules of the Hunt
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 12:54:56 AM »
Should be interesting to see if teams are forced to stick together - the UK version had two teams decide to split from each other as well as individual fugitives going on the run!

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 11:05:29 AM »
Has the video been deleted?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 11:21:55 PM »
Looks like...

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 02:34:24 AM »
What a shame...

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 07:10:36 AM »
Are you ready for the series premiere of Hunted, airing Sunday, Jan. 22 after the AFC Championship game? Not so fast—you've gotta know the rules first!

We already know the new series follows nine teams of two who must go on the run and evade capture for 28 days, but just what else is involved?

These are the rules of the hunt:
1.Fugitives must stay within a 100,000-square mile hunt zone.
2.Fugitives will be given a one-hour head start before Hunters are alerted.
3.Fugitives are provided limited funds.
4.Command Center is given only a name, photo, and last known location.
5.Fugitives that evade capture win $250,000 per team.
Watch Hunted on Wednesdays at 8/7c on CBS and CBS All Access.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline BourkieBoy

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 04:22:35 PM »
Isn't 100,000 square-mile, like massive? How the hell do the hunters catch if they go into the wilderness?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2017, 08:29:13 AM »
Command answers your questions

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/LtBgHzKKiAc" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/LtBgHzKKiAc</a>
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline knavekid

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2017, 12:20:14 PM »
I have watched the first four episodes.  It is apparent to me that while the information available to the command center is based on what real law enforcement might have available to them, they are not receiving it from law enforcement resources.

I appear that there is another "information unit" that processes information from the embedded camera operators to determine what information would likely be available to real law enforcement had the proper warrants been executed.  If the command center requests this information, the "information unit" provides it.

In one case, it is very unlikely that the CCTV video they obtained was sufficient to resolve the license plate number.  The graphic shown processing the blurry rectangle that is the license plate into a clear image is not technically possible.  The vehicle was in sight of the camera at a distance and the license plate was exposed, so if an extremely high resolution camera was in place and the lighting and observation angle was sufficient, they might have been able to resolve it.

In another instance, an ATM ping was received and the command center was looking at CCTV video of the commercial retailer parking lot within minutes.  This is without resources onsite to request access to the system.  It us unlikely that all these cameras are transmitting live video that can be retrieved that quickly.

The US Mail is another resource that the command center used effectively.  Did they really have access to the USPS database of mail?  Are they screening all mail within the 100K mi² area for hits among the contacts of all the fugitive teams?  While I think it is possible to gather this information if properly targeted, this was a case where I think the command center was given a hint.

In summary, I think the command center as access to better quality and more timely intelligence than what would be available in a real-world situation.

While I enjoy watching this show, I watch it with the realization that these "fugitives" have much more going against them than they would have in real life.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2017, 01:42:28 PM »
:welcome3: to RFF knavekid!

I like your analysis, esp the idea of another "information unit". That would explain a lot of the odd bits of the Hunters having info we don't see how they obtained.

Thanks for joining the discussion!!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2017, 05:18:39 AM »
I agree with most of the speculation about the hunters' ways of receiving information, but why do people expect this to be 100% realistic?
People do not complain that Survivor offers castaways opportunities to win food rewards, which are not something a person stranded on an island 'in real life' would get. Well some do complain this way, but are not taken seriously..
The producers have made this show highly pleasurable and gripping, at least from my and my friends' points of view. And I think the imitation of real-life pursuit techniques is just a great bonus, but first and foremost this is a devised reality show.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2017, 04:42:13 PM »
Teams were required to move (at a minimum) 5 linear miles every 48 hours. :tup:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline harley

• RFF Not So Newbie
Re: Rules of the Hunt: How did production do this?
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2017, 05:23:01 PM »
A poster on another forum thinks that all the command center footage was shot after the teams finished.  They think that because all the command center personnel are wearing the same clothes in every episode!  I can't believe I didn't notice this.
Dear Lord: So far today, I'm doing alright. I have not gossiped, lost my temper, been greedy, grumpy, selfish or nasty. I have not gossiped, cursed, whined or eaten chocolate. However, I am going to get out of bed in a minute, and will need a lot more help then. Amen.

Offline Pi/

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2017, 05:29:54 PM »
all the command center personnel are wearing the same clothes in every episode.
I noticed this as well, and I surmised that they did it in on purpose because a lot of things happened out of order (we see teams' pictures on the whiteboards when they haven't been revealed to us in the episodes, etc.) This way it would all appear consistent.
“We inhabit a complex world. Some boundaries are sharp... but nature also includes continua that cannot be neatly parceled into two piles of unambiguous yeses and noes.” - S. J. Gould

“If you don't accept others who are different, it means nothing that you've learned calculus.” - Shirley Chisholm

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2017, 06:57:44 PM »
Adding a few other videos that may reflect some light as well.

Burning Questions:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/LtBgHzKKiAc#" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/LtBgHzKKiAc#</a>

Interview with Lee Wilson:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/uPFTFQiVH2s" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/uPFTFQiVH2s</a>
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2017, 03:28:52 PM »
Very interesting info in this great article:

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/persons-of-interest/who-dreams-of-hunting-people

Some HIGHLIGHTS:

PERSONS OF INTEREST
WHO DREAMS OF HUNTING PEOPLE?

The experts of the CBS show “Hunted” explain why no one can hide.
By Joshua Rothman   02:00 P.M.

DePaul has found working on “Hunted” surprisingly satisfying, in part because the fugitives were often resourceful—they hid in woods and on the water, and used all sorts of technological tricks to disguise their trails—and in part because the manhunt had realistic resources at its disposal. “We had access to confidential informant funding,” he said. “Like, ‘There are some guys hiding in a bunker around here—a hundred bucks if you tell us where they are.’ We had thermal vision, helicopters, K-9 …”

“We had a tip line,” Payton said. “Facial recognition. Drones.”

“We hung up wanted posters,” DePaul continued. (True, the posters acknowledged the artificiality of the hunt—“This individual is voluntarily ‘on the run’ as part of a new television series,” one read—but they got the job done.) In key respects, the show simulated the limitations of the law: the investigators found themselves waiting on simulated subpoenas. Conversely, there were ways in which the simulated manhunt couldn’t match the real one.

“Contacting real law enforcement to do true A.P.B.s—we didn’t have that,” Payton said.

Are there top-secret resources, I asked, used in real life, that couldn’t be used on television?

“Of course there are!” DePaul said. “There are trade secrets in our community that we don’t talk about—”

“—And that’s the end of this, or we stomp on your phone!” Payton said, perhaps only half in jest, while DePaul laughed. He hazarded that the onscreen manhunt was between seventy and eighty per cent as intense as the real thing.

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2017, 03:54:50 PM »
I just realized that the hunters may have been using certain techniques that are actually used in real-life hunts, only they couldn't be publicized. That could explain why at times it feels like a lead came out of nowhere or why something might seem staged.

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2017, 05:39:56 PM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/CBSHunted/comments/5ro6sr/i_was_on_hunted_episode_3/

Sentra & Thu's friend who helped them in Episode Three had an AMA on Reddit and revealed some REALLY interesting details:

-There were pauses during production. Similar to how TAR does Pit Stops where everyone rests, there was always a point where everyone (hunters/fugitives/production) took a break and ran psych tests to ensure everyone was alright to continue.

-The show was filmed during the summer, and there was a high possibility that a team was in Florida during the tragic Pulse nightclub shooting.

-The editing does not correctly present events in the proper timeline. Sentra & Thu never actually went to the coffee shop.

-The release signed by people fugitives ask for help also includes permission from the hunters to interview them.

-There are TWO cameramen (which is weird considering UK is only one). One would follow directly behind while the other got the smaller shots and followed in a different angle (see: the random shots of fugitives from behind bushes).

-All fugitives are forced to move every 2 days.

-It is 100% real with no fakery.

Offline mjharmstone

• RFF Jr. Member
    • You Are Team No. Podcast
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2017, 02:39:46 PM »
I should preface this with a warning that nothing is confirmed, but I have podcasted about this season and the second UK one, so have got some insider knowledge.

In the UK, the way that most information comes in is through what is known as Gold Command. This is the show's creator, who is the only person who knows the location of all fugitives at any given time. HQ/Command will work leads, then come to him with their line of enquiry - if they have done all due process, he will reveal any information that they need - such as ANPR/LPR hits, CCTV or mail intercepts. I have had confirmation that this is how it works in the US as well.

CCTV shots are simulated by the embedded cameraperson/people.

There is such a thing as hunting hours - the Hunters only have a certain amount of time each day to catch the fugitives before everyone must stop moving for the night. These hours vary depending on the day, but usually it is 8a-8p.

HQ always wear the same clothes so that timelines can be monkeyed around with - this is way more prevalent in the US than in the UK, where everything was presented (reasonably) linearly last year.

In the UK, they are also required to make contact with friends/family at least once - whether this rule is also a thing in the US is unclear, but I would lean towards yes.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2017, 02:49:43 PM »
Thank you so much!! that really helps clarify some questions.

I really hate seeing people on FB yelling FAKE! when it really just seems to be a communication/editing issue.  Had the techniques/rules been outlined at the beginning, I think it would have been fine from a suspense point of view. As long as I know that the Hunters are doing everything "as if" they were waiting for real info, I have no problem with that.  It is when we zoom in on inconsistencies that things start to look "fake". I really think that a better more linear editing next season would be a BIG step forward. Calling one team the "3rd team out" when we now see they lasted many days longer than some of the others...is not good editing.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline mittyzam

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2017, 11:47:47 AM »
reality blurred has posted two articles, talks about HUNTED's product.
https://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/2017/02/hunted-behind-the-scenes/
https://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/2017/02/hunted-fact-check-enterprise-car-rental/
IMO,CBS can let out more information about the production just like UK .
And US veison is a little just fast, fast and fast. Lack the fugitive's emotion and feeling.

Offline mjharmstone

• RFF Jr. Member
    • You Are Team No. Podcast
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2017, 04:06:17 PM »
Thank you so much!! that really helps clarify some questions.

I really hate seeing people on FB yelling FAKE! when it really just seems to be a communication/editing issue.  Had the techniques/rules been outlined at the beginning, I think it would have been fine from a suspense point of view. As long as I know that the Hunters are doing everything "as if" they were waiting for real info, I have no problem with that.  It is when we zoom in on inconsistencies that things start to look "fake". I really think that a better more linear editing next season would be a BIG step forward. Calling one team the "3rd team out" when we now see they lasted many days longer than some of the others...is not good editing.

It's driving me slightly bananas that they're so erratic with the timeline. I guess though - we've had three teams caught (so far) within two days of each other, assuming that they all set off on the same day, so the mid-season episodes would be very crammed with captures.

Offline knavekid

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2017, 11:06:07 PM »
It's driving me slightly bananas that they're so erratic with the timeline. I guess though - we've had three teams caught (so far) within two days of each other, assuming that they all set off on the same day, so the mid-season episodes would be very crammed with captures.

I don't think they all start out on the same day.  My reasoning:

Looking at the season two casting information, production is scheduled over a three month period, so there might not be too much overlap of teams during filming.  They likely don't have more than two teams on the run at any given time, provided the average capture time for all the teams is 18 days or less.  As soon as a team is captured, the next team would be set off.  Based on the first five teams captured being on the run only 57 days total, filming these five teams with only two teams active at once would take less than a month of duration.

This also makes sense from a production standpoint, requiring only two remote film crews.  It also means that the hunter field teams can put more focus on the fugitives as we see when two or more two-person hunter teams converge on a potential location of a fugitive team.

Of course, the editing compresses the schedule so it appears that three or more teams are on the run simultaneously.  This adds to the excitement factor which is the entertainment goal, after all.

Offline BourkieBoy

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2017, 11:30:03 PM »
I'm kinda with knavekid. Why'd didn't the fugitives start on the same day. I think all of the fugitives on the uk version did???

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2017, 11:34:49 PM »
Everyone started on the same day im assuming production just meant editing or scouting out the proper permits etc. for the season 2 info.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2017, 11:37:12 AM »
From this awesome Interview with David and Emiley:

https://www.facebook.com/Tad-Lemire-621431691374449/videos/

They were told they had 72 hours... then they were put on the run almost immediately

ATM once a day limit, $100max at a day. must go at least twice

Can't bring money, can't work for money

Must move every two days

After day 3 had a $30 cap on gifts (after they got $500worth of burner phones lol)

Couldn't use same resources (people) over and over

Can't go back to same place twice

Production can add a rule or take away a rule at any time (learning live!!)

Emiley believes show may be renewed for 2-3 seasons more
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2017, 10:16:30 AM »
I have a question, and I don't know if there is a particular answer, but often times we have seen wanted posters with monetary incentive, but IIRC they all say something along the lines of may be rewarded with money. Does production follow up and actually give financial rewards for tips from people?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2017, 08:55:37 PM »
They offered and were accepted for $500 this episode.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2017, 06:41:49 PM »
I saw that, and I am assuming they were eventually paid (even though it was not shown). I'm just curious about the tip lines where on the wanted posters, where they said they MAY be offered a reward. I was just wondering if the people who gave a tip (like for Will & Miles) if they got rewarded or not.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2017, 10:40:50 PM »
interesting comment from reddit:

[–]Zavrii 2 points 21 hours ago

I know someone who worked on season 1 of this show and they seriously have a 99% chance of winning as long as they make it to the bank.

Once they get to the bank the rest of the show is scripted. They have an entire hour to go from the bank to the plane which is always under 2 miles away.

The chasing team basically sits down the road from the plane and waits for the 1-hour timer to expire then they are allowed to roll up and "catch" them.

You literally can walk the entire distance from the bank to your plane without getting caught as long as you take less then an hour to get there.

Also, the bank and run to the plane is completely blocked off to the public. Every car that goes by and every person on camera in "public" during the ending run is a planned part of the show. The runners also have a police escort the ENTIRE time.

Also, season 2 is filming in July.

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline tennis33

• RFF Full Member
  • 🌎 🏃‍♂️ 🔥
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2017, 11:12:46 AM »
I don't know where to post this but where will season two be filmed? It filmed in the south east US this time so where in the US will they film season 2

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2017, 12:03:34 PM »
Unknown...
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2017, 01:39:30 PM »
Ooooh, I never even thought about that, but it would be really cool if they chose a different hunt zone each season!

Offline harley

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2017, 03:45:22 PM »
Also, season 2 is filming in July.

I hope it's not in the south again.  July in the south is extremely hot and humid.  And it doesn't get cooler at night.  Any physical activity just drains you. 

My vote would be for somewhere out west.
Dear Lord: So far today, I'm doing alright. I have not gossiped, lost my temper, been greedy, grumpy, selfish or nasty. I have not gossiped, cursed, whined or eaten chocolate. However, I am going to get out of bed in a minute, and will need a lot more help then. Amen.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2017, 05:12:51 PM »
Remember, they want them near friends and family. And they can't dilute their own resources all over the country either. Will be interesting to see if they try a whole different area or not... I'd love Pacific NW!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2017, 05:39:39 PM »
Honestly I would just love a new hunt zone. I don't care where it is, just anywhere new!

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2017, 05:53:31 PM »
I think we're most likely getting a new hunt zone, based on the fact that Season 1 was in the Southeast and there are many more regions in the US (obviously).

A change of scenery would be great, and they don't even have to change the Command Center office set.

Offline paradoxinee

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2017, 07:09:44 PM »
Remember, they want them near friends and family. And they can't dilute their own resources all over the country either. Will be interesting to see if they try a whole different area or not... I'd love Pacific NW!

Just cast people who have lived in that new hunting zone.

Offline BourkieBoy

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2017, 11:06:50 PM »
I would like to see the north parts of the USA being featured.