Author Topic: TAR 28 Ep 10 LIVE SHOW Updates & Commentary!  (Read 17096 times)

Offline Kamineko

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Pika Pika
Re: TAR 28 Ep 10 LIVE SHOW Updates & Commentary!
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2016, 04:12:47 AM »
TBH I think that this leg is a disappointment, especially in terms of the tasks. I really don't like this leg linearity where the only place you can see teams positions changing is on the Detour. I absolutely hate the Roadblock and I think that this Roadblock is one of the worst task in Indonesia, other than the Padang restaurant Roadblock back in Surabaya (TAR 21 Leg 3). The only thing that saved this leg from being the worst leg in Indonesia was when they had to snorkel to find their clue, which I found really creative and I love the view underwater. <3

But still, I think that this is the second worst leg in Indonesia behind the Surabaya leg back in TAR 21 Leg 2.
The Amazing Race: Design Challenge VIII - Game starts here!

The Amazing Race Japan - Sign up here!
*Postponed until after TAR:DC 8 finished*

Offline Nyoman_SB1

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2016, 05:59:57 AM »
TBH I think that this leg is a disappointment, especially in terms of the tasks. I really don't like this leg linearity where the only place you can see teams positions changing is on the Detour. I absolutely hate the Roadblock and I think that this Roadblock is one of the worst task in Indonesia, other than the Padang restaurant Roadblock back in Surabaya (TAR 21 Leg 3). The only thing that saved this leg from being the worst leg in Indonesia was when they had to snorkel to find their clue, which I found really creative and I love the view underwater. <3

But still, I think that this is the second worst leg in Indonesia behind the Surabaya leg back in TAR 21 Leg 2.

+1

i'm disappointed as well. i predicted this leg would be linear and i was right. I'm glad they left Bali island and went to Lembongan & Ceningan. The detour was okay but the roadblock was "easy". Other teams couldn't catch up, especially when a team got u-turned  :groan: :groan:  I feel bad for Brodie and Kurt

Offline NMC

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Formally nmccarroll91 🇮🇪
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2016, 06:32:07 AM »
For some reason I really didn't like Phil saying, "The last team to arrive may FACE ELIMINATION".  :gaah:  Why change it now?  :groan:

The linear RB was  (:;), but on a positive note, had it been a physical challange Brodie & Kurt probabaly would've survived, so I can't really complain.

Burnie & Ashley or Sherri & Cole to win now.  Hopefully Tyler & Korey are eliminated next, but I can't see it. ???
.... The World is Waiting! ....

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2016, 11:33:53 AM »
This episode is good. I like it, but I can easily say that it's not the best because of its linearity all the way.

I'll keep it short, because I don't feel like enumerating.

I like the first task - creative, unique.

Indirect Twinnie U-turn Strategy (can we call this TUS next time? :lol: ) - awesome!

Detour - good enough, balanced, linear, a bit dull

Roadblock - nice, linear, meh

Tyler & Korey's edit - covering up (or not emphasizing, unlike Dana & Matt's) villainous edit.

Burnie & Ashley and 2nd place -  :tantrum (:;)

Suspense - poor.

Leg design - lame. Perhaps adding an extra ARI task would make this leg slightly better at least?

Editing: Emphasizing Cole's fear of heights is unnecessary. Having it mentioned once is enough. Those extra comments probably ate up some possibly good moments that were not shown.

Overall a good but weak episode.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2016, 12:51:27 PM »
I think the Detours were nicely balanced in distance and physicality needed. I might avoid animals...we have seen the racers have awful times with chickens before!

The Roadblock was super scenic. Aussie celeb was unnecessary and seemed to be the afterthought it was.  :groan:
The real problem was the complete RB linearity. Zero way to catch up unless someone balked at jumping.   (:;)

There may well have been a real chance in the actual getting to the MAT though.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline serendipity

• Honorary Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2016, 12:52:45 PM »
To be honest I don't quite like this leg design, the tasks are too linear especially the roadblock, that's no way to change position on that one unless you got a racer like Mika, should make it as ARI instead.

The seaweed detour choice is okay, but deliver chicken and coconuts seem not interesting to watch at all, and the several back and forth trips to deliver the 50 coconuts sound like just making even the time it may spend on the other detour but with no interesting value in it.

U-turn decision is smart, I predicted Burnie would do that and he did! It's even better than Twinnies one because this time they didn't have a plan together but then just act in response to the given situation. Very smart.

I agree with Jobby that Brodie/Kurt elimination is kind of like a karma for burning EP in Dubai. If they could let Burnie/Ashley take first place that leg and kept the EP, I would say they must have HUGE lead this leg and probably got 1st. It's because if they used the EP in last leg RB it would definitely save them a lot of time since either RB last leg took so long (look like 30 min more for either salt or kite task), maybe they felt regret after this leg then.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2016, 01:33:49 PM »
To be honest, I hate linear legs but tbh, I think every season should have one linear leg. If every leg has a bunching point, then a team wouldn't know or expect how important it is to do well EVERY LEG. You never know the next might be a linear one and will put your team in danger.

That being said, I actually thought that the Roadblock is fine, but if it involved some sort of a task at the top, like looking at a complete puzzle, then jumping off, then immediately getting back in shape to solve the puzzle... it might make the task more exciting. But again, I think the fact that the pit-stop is far away is good enough for me. How many times have we seen that a team finishes a task and run to the pit-stop 500m away? Or searching the grounds of the task location. By travelling to another place, it allows a team to fall behind/catch up.. In the case of B/A where they caught up well enough to just be directly behind T/K.. and S/C to fall behind the dancers.

Think we should give and take every now and then..

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2016, 01:57:28 PM »

I agree with Jobby that Brodie/Kurt elimination is kind of like a karma for burning EP in Dubai. If they could let Burnie/Ashley take first place that leg and kept the EP, I would say they must have HUGE lead this leg and probably got 1st. It's because if they used the EP in last leg RB it would definitely save them a lot of time since either RB last leg took so long (look like 30 min more for either salt or kite task), maybe they felt regret after this leg then.

Totally agree. They would have had to use it in Leg 9, but that would have given them a nice lead with no bunching.  Bad decision when they were not at any risk in that leg.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline stekay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2016, 02:03:47 PM »
Giggle @ Tyler & Korey haters

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2016, 09:38:23 PM »
Giggle @ Tyler & Korey haters

Ikr. They are not my favourites but they're a very good team! Smart, collective... Except on the 2 legs that they were stressed to death they became just not fun at all. Other than that they're hilarious.

Offline serendipity

• Honorary Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2016, 12:01:45 AM »
To be honest, I hate linear legs but tbh, I think every season should have one linear leg. If every leg has a bunching point, then a team wouldn't know or expect how important it is to do well EVERY LEG. You never know the next might be a linear one and will put your team in danger.

That being said, I actually thought that the Roadblock is fine, but if it involved some sort of a task at the top, like looking at a complete puzzle, then jumping off, then immediately getting back in shape to solve the puzzle... it might make the task more exciting. But again, I think the fact that the pit-stop is far away is good enough for me. How many times have we seen that a team finishes a task and run to the pit-stop 500m away? Or searching the grounds of the task location. By travelling to another place, it allows a team to fall behind/catch up.. In the case of B/A where they caught up well enough to just be directly behind T/K.. and S/C to fall behind the dancers.

Think we should give and take every now and then..

I understand your point and kind of agree, but by linear leg I don't only mean no bunching point but also very simple task (like the RB), not complicated and people need to line up to perform, and the worst thing is that it happened on a leg with U Turn. I also want Kurt/Brodie to go but not expect under this leg design.

So the pitstop is quite far from the beach? I haven't been to Bali and got no idea, the editing makes it seem like the finish order depends on whether you can find a taxi first, I think would be nicer if they make a little trick like a photo clue to find the pitstop or Phil hiding somewhere not easy to spot there.

Offline Nyoman_SB1

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2016, 12:39:31 AM »

So the pitstop is quite far from the beach? I haven't been to Bali and got no idea, the editing makes it seem like the finish order depends on whether you can find a taxi first, I think would be nicer if they make a little trick like a photo clue to find the pitstop or Phil hiding somewhere not easy to spot there.

Not far, around 15 minutes by taxi. Bajra Sandhi is landmark of Denpasar and very popular, photo clue would make it easier. i wish they went to somewhere first to pick the other clue before heading to the pit stop

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #62 on: May 01, 2016, 06:17:18 PM »
That being said, I actually thought that the Roadblock is fine, but if it involved some sort of a task at the top, like looking at a complete puzzle, then jumping off, then immediately getting back in shape to solve the puzzle... it might make the task more exciting.

I believe that by this point in the race (less than 7 teams), first come, first served tasks should be dropped and linear thrill tasks should be mixed with another type of challenge.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline scruffs

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #63 on: May 01, 2016, 07:38:39 PM »
So sad to see Brodie and Kurt go. Hope they will be invited for another season. They're fun to watch (well except for Brodie's moments of weakness).

Next saddest moment for me, so far.

:( :( :( :(
Chance favors prepared minds.

Offline mellodoo

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2016, 06:46:10 AM »
what's good with linear leg is snowball effect: if you do well last leg, you will have advantage this leg. If you screwed up last leg, U will have a hard time catching up.
but that's problem with every 2nd leg in a country I think... thankfully there is a U-Turn and quite balanced detour. so yeah...
And Brodie & Kurt really got that snowball effect. :groan: So better think the endgame. and I love some teams think it throughly.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2016, 11:27:17 AM »
I feel that the leg only seems linear because of the coconut task that every team attempted? Tbh, the seaweed task MIGHT have displace some teams.

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2016, 11:39:48 AM »
I feel that the leg only seems linear because of the coconut task that every team attempted? Tbh, the seaweed task MIGHT have displace some teams.

I have the same thing in mind. We've seen imbalanced detours this season such as Leg 5's where Burnie & Ashley fell behind or even Leg 3's where 3 teams were almost with Darius & Cameron that time.

I learned from there that not all detours should be balanced. Otherwise, it could just end up as dull as this episode's.

Offline scruffs

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2016, 07:52:23 PM »
The Roadblock is also too linear. I mean with that time gap of leaving the pitstart there's no way to catch up if a team is U-turned. I am glad that detour comes first before roadblock but with that kind of roadblock it's still not fair.  :( :( :( :(
Chance favors prepared minds.

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2016, 10:06:27 AM »
I hated the RB on this leg. And it was almost an identical task as the ARI on S25E01???

Why is it so hard for TAR to squeeze in a couple random locations? Like, just include a cryptic clue post-RB, directing the teams to some landmark. Great examples are in the finale of S16 and S19E11 (Panama leg). Why do they not do those anymore? :(

Or even without cryptic clues, telling the teams to pick up one/two clues in between the RB/detour/pitstop at random locations, not including any tasks there, would still greatly reduce the leg's linearity and allow for the teams to catch-up or get lost.

I wanted Brodie & Kurt gone because of their stupid EP usage, but on such a linear leg it wasn't satisfying.

That being said, I actually thought that the Roadblock is fine, but if it involved some sort of a task at the top, like looking at a complete puzzle, then jumping off, then immediately getting back in shape to solve the puzzle... it might make the task more exciting.

I believe that by this point in the race (less than 7 teams), first come, first served tasks should be dropped and linear thrill tasks should be mixed with another type of challenge.
+++++