Author Topic: S32: Nick Maiorano (Beauty)  (Read 11698 times)

Offline mmmpshow

• RFF Sr. Member
    • MMMP Show
Re: S32: Nick Maiorano (Beauty)
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2016, 06:11:20 PM »
Nick Maiorano (new Chan Loh, formerly in "Beauty")
Following Episode 5: Nick might have been on the chopping block at the old "Beauty" tribe, but he received a reprieve from that designation after the tribal shakeup landed him with four new tribemates. Yet his seemingly phony personality and apparent physical strength will make him someone whom those four will not want to see reach the merge. Nick would have benefitted from being paired with Peter, his closest personality match. ...How much did the reconfiguration hurt or help Nick's chances (scale of 1 to 10, 1 hurt very much, 10 helped very much)? 3.

Offline mmmpshow

• RFF Sr. Member
    • MMMP Show
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2016, 05:44:16 PM »
Following Episode 6: Nick appears to exhibit a light form of misogyny and egocentrism, which revealed itself during his interactions with Michele and Debbie. It appear highly unlikely that any of the women will want to work with him for the long term, which means Nick would be wise to maintain a male dominant merged tribe (currently six men and five women) . Unfortunately, his ego might mislead him into thinking he could control some of those women's votes.

Offline mmmpshow

• RFF Sr. Member
    • MMMP Show
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2016, 12:34:46 PM »
Following Episode 7 (the merge): Nick was the star of this episode, garnering perhaps as much face time in this one as he had received in the previous six combined. He was a willing recipient of a vast amount of powerful information, which gives him a similar position as Scot previously garnered but without the perceived overconfidence. As much as Nick comes off as cocky in his private confessionals, his public discussions with his tribemates have seemed levelheaded and non-confrontational, which should allow him to fly under the radar for the next few votes, during which the more outspoken castaways will target each other. Nick and Michele appear to have a good working relationship, but it remains to be seen if they can remain on the same page as Tai and Julia as the numbers dwindle, since they might disagree on when to target a Brawn.

Offline Ryan

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I can climb a damn tree.
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2016, 09:53:39 AM »
His ponderosa was so great, he's much more complex of a person with the deep rooted self-doubt of his vulnerability. I actually wanna see him back now, we didn't get enough Nick!
SNEAKY SNEAKY

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2016, 10:31:46 AM »
Love him or hate him, Nick provided a really, REALLY good three-episode arc.

I'm sad to see him go because he grew on me, but then again it ended an amazing three-episode story of the Fall, Rise, and then Fall of Nick which I'm eternally grateful for <3

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2016, 11:37:22 AM »
lmao what a glorious TC with this douche going <3 I honestly loved all the ominous signs, like during the IC feast, when he was like "I hope it's not bittersweet. I know it won't be." <333
He was undeniably good TV though.

Offline Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • BIG MISTAKE
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2016, 03:49:35 PM »
The Rise and Fall of Nick is similar to the Rise and Fall of Stephen from Cambodia imo, although Stephen got more (and more consistent screentime)
Both were on the bottom of their original tribes, but a swap put them in a better position. They maneuvered their way to the top of a large majority alliance during the merge, but soon after were blindsided by members on the bottom of their alliance along with the minority alliance. Also, both got a lot of screentime in their last three weeks.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better; it's not" - The Lorax

Offline mmmpshow

• RFF Sr. Member
    • MMMP Show
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2016, 05:15:14 PM »
Following Episode 8: This elimination provides yet another example of the directors/editors of the program misdirecting the audience's perception of the castaways. Nick's promotional clip before the season and comments to his tribemates and the camera in most of the episodes made him appear rather full of himself. Yet his prominent role in the last episode, in which he displayed level-headedness in the face of Jason and Scot's overconfidence, was a ruse to make the audience believe he had risen above that nature. As it turns out, his true nature always was what it was, and his arrogance over the proposed seven-person Brawn-Beauty alliance came through too loudly to let it pass by the female members in it (Cydney, Julia, and Michele). Nick probably would have gone much further than any of the remaining men had it not been for his foolish displays of consulting with Julia following the reward (which Cydney called out) and then boldly declaring that a Brain would be eliminated during the immunity challenge (reiterated at tribal council). His conduct this episode is the embodiment of the adage, "Pride goeth before the fall." His elimination continues a trend in which the reasons for elimination had far less to do with endgame strategy and more to do with bad or suspicious feelings about the given castaway at a given time. In this case -- no different than Darnell, Jenny, Alecia, Peter, Liz, or Anna -- it was strictly a matter Nick proving to be untrustworthy (i.e. a so-called threat to maintaining his word at a later stage). Even though there were equal or greater threats still in the competition, his brash behavior created a bad feeling that made him a desired target at this point. Perhaps this is why this season has been a bit of a letdown in comparison to recent seasons, because the level of strategizing seems to be quite low and based upon momentarily-held sentiments.

Offline David

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Queen <3
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2016, 07:40:56 PM »
OTTNN5 TO GO HOME. SEE YOU NEVER AGAIN.

Offline stekay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2016, 07:47:56 PM »
The dissection gone into that essay is astounding.

Offline Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • BIG MISTAKE
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2016, 08:07:00 PM »
Imo the move made by Cydney and co. was a good long term move. Nick was replacing Cydney as the Brawn's third, and this way she, Michelle, and Julia have more options than anyone else down the road.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better; it's not" - The Lorax

Offline Ryan

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I can climb a damn tree.
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2016, 09:40:07 AM »
Imo the move made by Cydney and co. was a good long term move. Nick was replacing Cydney as the Brawn's third, and this way she, Michelle, and Julia have more options than anyone else down the road.

Agree with Book! More eyes might be on Cydney now as a threat but she keeps Jason and Scot safe with this vote while eliminating a 4 beauty advantage should they decide to turn the tables again down the road. Her tight bond with Debbie is also going to be useful as the brains will likely turn on a beauty before they turn on her.
SNEAKY SNEAKY

Offline SarcasmMode

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2016, 05:07:50 PM »
That story arc was everything I ever wanted out of Nick. Perfect rise, classic overconfidence, and more fate-tempting than I thought a human being could ever provide. I definitely thought he'd turn out to be a character that I'd hate, but this arc actually was probably one of my favorite things about the season so far.

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2016, 05:16:41 PM »
That story arc was everything I ever wanted out of Nick. Perfect rise, classic overconfidence, and more fate-tempting than I thought a human being could ever provide. I definitely thought he'd turn out to be a character that I'd hate, but this arc actually was probably one of my favorite things about the season so far.

+1

Offline mmmpshow

• RFF Sr. Member
    • MMMP Show
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2016, 10:13:13 AM »
Nick Maiorano (10th place, 2nd jury member)
Following Episode 12: Now that Jason is out, there is no castaway that Nick would clearly favor for Sole Survivor. He likely would reward Aubry over Michele, but like Scot, he seems to be open to listening to everyone's argument and making a fair decision.

Offline mmmpshow

• RFF Sr. Member
    • MMMP Show
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2016, 10:59:31 AM »
Following Finale: Nick led the discussion by the jurors and succinctly pointed out what each finalist needed to do to win the jurors hearts and minds -- Michele to prove intelligence, Tai to demonstrate awareness of gameplay, Aubry to show confidence. He suggested that votes were up for grabs, although the fact that they went strictly along the Brawn-Beauty alliance lines indicates that not that many were actually up for grabs. By a narrow margin, Michele was the most successful in accomplishing what Nick's challenged the finalists to do.