Author Topic: Been to a RACE Location?? POST IT HERE!  (Read 281006 times)

Online Xoruz

• RFF LInk Master!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Been to a RACE Location?? POST IT HERE!
« Reply #350 on: March 23, 2023, 09:55:53 PM »
I recently got back from Hawaii, and I got to check off a few locations. Some of my pics aren't great since I took them from a moving bus.

Puaena Point, where the final 3 teams of TAR US 3 received a blessing from a kahuna.

Kaneohe Bay, where the final Roadblock of TAR US 6 had racers skydiving into the bay. Also, to the left of Chinaman's Hat out in the bay is Secret Island, where TAR US 20 finished and where TAR France had a Pit Stop.

The Waterfront Towers Mauka and Makai, where the final three teams of TAR US 20 had to climb to the top using an ascender, spot a flag, and face-first rappel.

The hill behind Coral Kingdom and its famous gate, where TAR US 20 and TAR Israel 6 both had a land surfing Roadblock.

The USS Missouri, which was the site of a semaphore Roadblock during TAR France.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #351 on: March 24, 2023, 11:04:15 AM »
These are awesome! Beautiful ****s and great memories!

Thanks for sharing!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #352 on: May 21, 2023, 03:17:52 PM »
Recently returned from a longtime friend's wedding in the most-visited city in TAR history....
  :conf:Los Angeles, California! :funny:
(To be a little more exact, a pre-ceremony event in Glendale, the knot was observed at Terranea in Rancho Palos Verdes)
Had a day and a half to wander after the festivities so I checkpointed a variety of Race locations as I could spare.

Santa Monica Pier - TAR5
Season 5's story arc begins here, a good half an hour away from Los Angeles in the beautiful city of Santa Monica. A lovely day out with so many international travelers (heard a good amount of British and Australian accents), families, friends, and couples. The amusement park was packed with beachgoers, the walking path going underneath the pier catered to many joggers and bikers, and street performers and fruit stands were a staple of upholding the happy and go-getter energy of the area. The several restaurants located within the area were especially taking on the first wave of summer breakers. Overall, I really enjoyed the atmosphere of the beachside city, the Pier was great albeit smaller than I had imagined.

Shoreline Aquatic Park overlooking The RMS Queen Mary - TAR7
Irony struck the starting line of the seventh season because another race was beginning. There was a 4K run community gathering in the morning I went and the park was fairly alive. I did not learn until just recently that the coast from Long Beach to Laguna Beach has historically been the marathon hotspot, with the beachside walking trail along Santa Monica to Marina del Rey as more of a "practice space". And to see this statement with a little more proof was exciting! I meandered to the base of the lighthouse to see a wonderful vantage point of the Long Beach skyline in all its glory. So many Lime scooters lying around to zip around the Aquarium of the Pacific and Shoreline Village, but not enough allotted time to do that this trip. Maybe in an L.A. part 2. :tup:

Port of Long Beach - Pier J - TAR17
Went on my second free morning and it had such a peaceful view of the Pacific. Without needing to bungee swing from the crane while giving yourself a Brook-esque heart attack like in the finale, you could see boats in the distance fairly close to sea level, and for an industrialized area, the water was surprisingly clean. So clear that there were pockets of locals doing some early morning fishing along the jetty. There is a beautifully-maintained bike path lined with palm trees on the drive toward Pier J and I stopped by it on my way to Shoreline Aquatic Park to capture the perspective.

Rose Bowl Stadium - TAR17
The location of the parade float decorating Roadblock! Luckily, there was no event hosted the day I went so I parked in the dirt since the gates were closed and walked on over to the entrance with no problem. I realize now that I was so focused on getting a closeup shot of the stadium that I forgot the task was actually done on the parking lot. :laugh: The brick pattern shaped like a rose in the plaza is part of the Brick Campaign by the stadium to commemorate various college alumni and people that have donated to preserve the functions and legacy of this entertainment venue. I thought the gesture was pretty cool and wanted to showcase a portion of it. I did see one from my home state of Illinois.

Quixote Studios at Griffith Park - TAR17
Behold, the studio responsible for the matrix board of greeters final memory task! It's an understandably, highly-secured area for film production so I was not allowed inside. But I did snap some worthy pictures of the front signage and a glimpse of one of the soundstage's garage doors.

Hsi Lai Temple - TAR19
Unique in its architecture, and above all civilization, this Buddhist temple in Hacienda Heights is one of my favorite L.A. tourist destinations. Quiet, serene, and enormous, the complex offers educational spaces for Dharma retreat scholars, large prayer shrines on entry and in the main square, and even cuisine like a tea shop and vegetarian buffet hall. Zen gardens are meticulously sculpted in honor of Buddha, and the detailed decorative finishes seen around the temple make visitors feel like they are not even in the U.S. A little surprised TAR was bold enough to get the temple cleared for TV production and national promotional material, as well as the iconic paper umbrella task, knowing now the sacredness of the temple, but I'm glad they managed to do it because it worked to give this place more recognition and reach. After 7 years, I can now celebrate visiting all of the locations of the season 19 premiere! (My Taipei visit in 2016 is documented on page 11 of this thread, but I'm bummed that the photo links somehow errored and vanished.)

Colorado Street Bridge - TAR21
"Another bridge," my friend who was frustrated navigating to Glendale says... it's not just a bridge, it's the Double Your Money twist reveal spot and where Natalie & Nadiya first uttered the term "Twinnies" on the show! I did not reply with that aloud, but this made a quick drive-through on my way to the pre-wedding event so special. I never rushed to open my camera app so quickly before.

Griffith Observatory (kind of) - TAR22
Did not have time to stop and trek to the observatory as it was my very last destination I planned to see prior to catching my flight. The road winds for a very long time and gets scary is all I can say. For a dedicated solo Los Angeles trip, I would definitely set a day for the full Griffith Park & Observatory experience.

Point Vicente Lighthouse - TAR25
I could not pass up the opportunity to take these photos on my way to Terranea Resort. The area was closed the day I went and is only open for the public Saturdays from mid-morning to the afternoon so plan as needed if you want to go directly inside. Fortunately, my phone camera could just crop through the chainlink fence without illegally trespassing.

I'm confident Peach remembers the victorious sightings of Amy & Maya running up to Phil here. :jumpy:

Hollywood Bowl - TAR32
Tucked away in the hills, this amphitheater is a very low-key spot for a picnic. As you park your vehicle, you are able to climb an open VIP gathering area up a hill to the right and sneak peek at the audience seats in the Bowl. There are wooden bench tables spread across the area and is shaded underneath a large tree. I took the first photo from that area and now I know a perfect tailgating place. LOL The venue inside is usually closed whenever there is no event or one being set up for the following day. Like many other locations I visited this time due to the lack of public events, parking was never an issue.

Dignity Health Sports Park - TAR33
One of the more recent visits of the TAR franchise where Kim & Penn and Raquel & Cayla battled for the win, I popped up at the soccer stadium after the locations in Long Beach and took some quick photos here. The route to the tennis stadium was blocked off from the public, and as it was located on the opposite end of the stadium, I could not stray too far away from my vehicle. Not much visibility or visual interest from the exterior, so I did not have a real reason to stay here for very long. Now that I think of it, could have parked at a mini mall and walked over to take a picture of the tennis arena at least. Next time redemption perhaps.

Last, but not least... the most frequented place in TAR ever:
Los Angeles International Airport - Almost every dang season :lol:
These are pictures I took after returning my rental car. Maybe next time I will get more detailed photos of the airport inside. :funny:

Hope you all enjoyed perusing my mess, but what counts is that I had fun! :2hearts:
« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 03:25:51 PM by RachelLeVega »
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #353 on: May 22, 2023, 09:29:22 AM »
WOW Rachel!! These are AMAZING! You really covered the bases.
Love seeing our places again.

Wish you would have been there longer as I would have put you to actual work!  :d025:

:wine: :thankyou: :wine:

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Mandoli

• hahahaha NO!
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #354 on: August 10, 2023, 08:01:23 PM »
If you have read the S36 board, then go into this spoiler with no caution. If you haven't, then please proceed with all of the caution in the world.

Show content
On a nice day, you can see Mount Rainer from the top of the Space Needle...

I thought that when we fought, I was to blame
Now I know you play a different game
I've seen you dance with danger; still wanting more
Add another number to the score

Offline LandonM170

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #355 on: August 10, 2023, 09:07:59 PM »
Been to the US Space & Rocket Center in Huntsville, AL (TAR 8: Family Edition) and have crossed the Korean Veterans Memorial Bridge in Nashville, TN (TAR 34)!

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #356 on: September 12, 2023, 09:23:43 PM »
Just completed a trip to Sri Lanka and Dubai

Probably one of the most memorable pitstops in race history:

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #357 on: September 12, 2023, 09:50:53 PM »

:clap2: Want to know, did you do the honor and swim the length?
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #358 on: September 12, 2023, 10:03:41 PM »
Oh WOW the real deal!! Hope you swam it!!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #359 on: September 12, 2023, 10:16:22 PM »

:clap2: Want to know, did you do the honor and swim the length?

Lol no, I was not a guest at the hotel. I walked in sneakily just to take a few photos  :lol: