Author Topic: TARCAN3 Thoughts  (Read 4522 times)

Offline naejae91

• RFF Frantic Poster
TARCAN3 Thoughts
« on: September 25, 2015, 03:10:17 AM »
Good:
1) Great cast and I enjoy most of them.
2) Face-off in order to try spice up the race.
3) Challenge was generally more difficult than the US version.

Bad:
1) The biggest reason TARCAN3 suffer at the second half because of the boot order where all the entertaining team start to bounced off one by one consecutively.
2) Gino & Jesse (only minor issue). Congratulations on them won TARCAN3, but they're so boring and bland especially in the period where the boot order start to gone painful. They're dominated in Canada and only have several close calls on the international legs which I can pin point most on point 3, 4 and to the less extent point 5.
3) Leg and challenge design. Although they have many ARI task, but overall it's still not good. The final leg design kinda sucks and winner was decide by some kind of WTF final task. I like the Face-off concept, but dislike the challenges they used because it was pretty physical/sporty and guarantee weak team struggled. Thus I'm also not a fan where they're fairly many high physical demanded challenge in this race which strong team breeze through while weak team struggled and eliminated because of it.
4) Too much Canada leg. This was generally where many high physical demanded challenge was frequently appeared there. Plus The internationals leg was generally was more spiced with the travel aspect and cultural shock.
5) Air Canada. Air Canada sponsorship negated every teams to manage their air travel by their own and everyone was bunched on the same flight. It also contribute limitation on production to have more diverse international locale due to flight availability.
6) The overemphasize on Canada was a bit too much for me (Eg. "This is where Canada DOMINATED the olympics and that's why CANADA is the BEST place to call home." or "") even in the international leg. (Eg. "Look at this CANADIAN statue in Buenos Aires!") I'm not Canadian, so I found that thing slightly annoying.

Suggestion:
1) Cast better archetypes of strong M/M teams like Jet & Dave that bring entertainment.
2) Improve leg design/challenge design so that weak team have chance staying at the competitive race with strong team.
3) More international leg.
4) Drop Air Canada sponsorship if possible.
5) Tone down the Canada emphasize.

Overall, TARCAN3 was worthy to watch but IMO it is was the weakest season for the Canadian version.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 04:29:58 AM by naejae91 »
TAR25/TAR29: Modern classic season.

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TARCAN3 Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 06:56:39 AM »
I had a write-up ready for the finale but I got lazy and skipped the cast and leg discussions lol.

Anyway, here it is:

Season Write-Up:

Show content
Ah, The Amazing Race Canada. Definitely one of the more unique International versions of the Race. While others have gone forth and thrived in purely international routes, TAR Canada seems to stick with the season two formula of: Canadian Legs + Two International Double Legs. However, unlike Season Two, third time did not prove to be the charm.

First things first, the thing that TARCAN got right was the cinematography. The way it was shot looks neat, and it shows. From the beautiful scenery in the Saskatchewan leg to the busy cramped streets in the two Indian legs, TAR Canada’s cinematography is something to admire. The second is definitely the editing. While TAR US has focused on sometimes quick-editing to the detriment of classic TAR formula (seeing all teams read the clue), TAR Canada keeps the old editing style and it definitely proved snappy and effective. The editing even seemed to improve over the years.

Now for the negatives. Unfortunately, there’s only so much to do in Canada. Therefore, this time around, legs were absolutely a giant mixed bag in Canada. When you have to resort to having teams read a piece of paper and have three obstacle course challenges throughout the Race, you know there’s a problem. While the International legs absolutely shined (with the slight exception of the second India leg), the Canada ones never ever went from the range of average and good. But even the worst legs can shine if the cast is amazing. And truthfully, the casting worked well this season. Twelve teams were definitely missed in modern TAR.

While the first three eliminations were incredibly under-edited (it puzzles me how Dana & Amanda were even in the Top 3 of Canada’s Favourite Team….), soon after we began to have a cohesive storyline for each remaining team. Which is what makes the ending much much worse. But I’ll get to that later.

Overall, The Amazing Race Canada 3 is, truthfully, not a bad season of the Race. However, it is a giant step down, and it will be nice to see if season four will get better.

Season Rank:
Show content
The Amazing Race Canada 2
The Amazing Race Canada 1
The Amazing Race Canada 3

Overall Team Rank:
Show content
Vanessa & Celina
Alain & Audrey
Holly & Brett
Sukhi & Jinder
Jet & Dave
Brent & Sean
Nic & Sabrina

Natalie & Meghan
Neil & Kristen
Dujean & Leilani
Cormac & Nicole
Brian & Cynthia
Simi & Ope

Hal & Joanne
Hamilton & Michaela
Treena & Temille

Shahla & Nabeela
Jen & Shawn
Laura & Jackie
Susan & Sharnjit
Dana & Amanda
Rex & Bob
Ryan & Rob
Jamie & Pierre
Jody & Cory

Pierre & Michele
Nick & Matt

Gino & Jesse
Tim Sr. & Tim Jr.
Mickey & Pete

Overall Leg Rank: (Design + Episode)

Show content
TARCAN2: Leg 4 (Macau)
TARCAN3: Leg 2 (Argentina)
TARCAN2: Leg 8 (France)
TARCAN2: Leg 1 (British Columbia)
TARCAN1: Leg 6 (Quebec)
TARCAN2: Leg 3 (Hong Kong)
TARCAN3: Leg 7 (Saskatchewan)
TARCAN3: Leg 2 (Chile)
TARCAN1: Leg 7 (Nunavut)
TARCAN1: Leg 2 (British Columbia)

TARCAN3: Leg 5 (Quebec)
TARCAN3: Leg 9 (India)
TARCAN2: Leg 5 (Yukon)
TARCAN1: Leg 3 (Alberta)
TARCAN1: Leg 9 (Newfoundland and Labrador)

TARCAN3: Leg 4 (Nova Scotia)
TARCAN1: Leg 4 (Yukon)
TARCAN3: Leg 10 (British Columbia)
TARCAN1: Leg 8 (Nova Scotia)

TARCAN1: Leg 10 (Ontario)
TARCAN3: Leg 1 (Ontario)
TARCAN3: Leg 6 (Ontario)
TARCAN2: Leg 9 (Quebec)
TARCAN2: Leg 2 (British Columbia)

TARCAN2: Leg 10 (Prince Edward Island)
TARCAN2: Leg 7 (France)
TARCAN1: Leg 5 (Saskatchewan)
TARCAN2: Leg 6 (Manitoba)
TARCAN2: Leg 11 (New Brunswick)

TARCAN3: Leg 11 (Alberta)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 10:40:17 AM by gamerfan09 »

Offline naejae91

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 03:58:46 AM »
Is this a joke?

Which was considered joke?
TAR25/TAR29: Modern classic season.

Offline paradoxinee

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 07:44:50 AM »
6) The overemphasize on Canada was a bit too much for me (Eg. "This is where Canada DOMINATED the olympics and that's why CANADA is the BEST place to call home." or "") even in the international leg. (Eg. "Look at this CANADIAN statue in Buenos Aires!") I'm not Canadian, so I found that thing slightly annoying.

Their target are Canadian viewers, not international viewers like us. That's why they did that. Even there are many Canadian fans on FB complaining about going abroad. We find it ridiculous but we're not Canadian. And I don't actually feel annoying about that tbh.

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2015, 10:07:55 AM »
Negatives are definitely exhaustion of Canada though...

The only leg this season which had cultural relevancy to Canada was the Saskatchewan leg. And even then, it was only the Detour. Nearly all the other tasks could have been done anywhere in the world -.-

Offline NMC

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Formally nmccarroll91 🇮🇪
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2015, 11:25:08 AM »
So much Potential up until about Leg 5 or 6............ And then it was just  :peek  :groan:
.... The World is Waiting! ....

Offline saskvagabond

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2015, 11:39:55 AM »
I'm Canadian and I found the whole "Ra ra ra! Canada rocks!" thing way overdone and annoying. When Gino and Jesse won (kudos to them even though I was rooting against them), and one of them said "You don't have to leave canada when you travel" I literally face-palmed, groaned, and left the room.

I don't have any idea when canada turned to this whole "the rest of the world sucks" mentality.

We need more international legs big time.

And agreed with other posters: the challenges in Canada, for the most part, left me uninspired and bored.

Step it up guys! Come on!!

Offline Reilly Queens

• RFF's Game Queen
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • DESTINY
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2015, 11:48:08 AM »

Offline fossil-racer

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2015, 12:30:19 PM »
Started out ok
Legs 2-5 were good and enjoyable. Leg 9 was good.
Everything else was disappointing and weak.
Unearthing Prehistoric Spoilers since TAR Canada 2
Detail Analyst - TAR Canada is my favorite!

Offline tennis33

• RFF Full Member
  • 🌎 🏃‍♂️ 🔥
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2015, 10:50:45 PM »
I think the Canadian legs are good but there are to many.  I think the first 3 and the last 3 legs should be in Canada.  Everything else is international

Offline theamazingracer21

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2015, 06:47:07 PM »
It was an enjoyable season but the lesser of the 3 seasons.