Author Topic: Rank the HD Seasons  (Read 34901 times)

Online RaceUntilWeDie

• RFF Frantic Poster
Rank the HD Seasons
« on: September 14, 2014, 10:06:58 AM »
(Sorry if there is already a topic similar to this :-[ )

I've seen some people do this on different threads, so why not make a topic dedicated to ranking the HD seasons? There have been 7 HD seasons so far, and we will soon begin our 8th :hearts:

My rankings are:

1. TAR 22 - This season had some of the most memorable/likable teams. Don't forget the amazing/picturesque route it had. The super predictable finale ruined this great season for me though :( But this season was good all around.

2. TAR 20 - I think the amount of drama this season had really helped to make this a CLOSE #2 in my book. The recent seasons have been so friendly, or they all just targeted one specific team. Some of the tasks here were lacklauster, but the teams really helped keep me interested. The season also reminded me of old-school TAR a lot of some reason. The ONLY thing I hate about this season is Dave & Rachel's domination :tantrum so it was very hard to "root" for someone else to win (a leg). Also, there was a point when it kinda got boring... unlike TAR 22 where I thought it was good all around.

3. TAR 21 - Someone said this in another thread, and I hadn't thought of it 'til now: This season had one of the best Final 5's in recent memory! Every team was super competitive (maybe not Josh & Brent... until the last leg) and they all had a piece of them that was memorable... Josh & Brent - the Underdogs, James & Jaymes - the semi-alpha male team, Trey & Lexi - the Dating Couple :lol: , Natalie & Nadiya - the competitive/loud Sri Lankan twin sisters, Abbie & Ryan - the dominant dating couple. I will admit the rest of the cast really sucked, as well as the first half of this Race. But it really picked up when James & Abba lost their passports and Abbie & Ryan and Josh & Brent had extreme flight troubles.

4. TAR 18 - An amazing cast, which is ironic because THIS cast is more all-star-worthy than the 2 "All-Star" seasons. While this season was above-average compared to most recent seasons, I do think the Race got a little boring towards the end,  after Jet & Cord's elimination (not even a huge Jet & Cord fan, which is weird) and the famous "Too Many Cooks in the Kitchen" feud :lol:

5. TAR 24 - The route was so :gaah: , but I really liked what the teams have delivered here (even though there were many missed opportunities for the cast :( ) So basically, the teams kept me going here.

6. TAR 23 - Looking back, this was such a boring season :lol: There were some good moments here and there, a few good legs, but it wasn't consistently good. Nicole & Travis were really pissing me off by the end though.

7. TAR 19 - This was such a sloppy season. At the time, there were too many changes being made (Hazard, double elimination, different editing style), and that somehow made it hard for me to like this season. Europe and Panama did deliver though.

Offline Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Rank the HD Seasons
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 11:22:15 AM »
TAR21 was better than TAR20 and TAR23 and TAR 19 were better than TAR24 IMO. But it's a great ranking!
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better; it's not" - The Lorax

Offline Felix

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 11:36:54 AM »
TAR 21 > TAR 23 > TAR 20 > TAR 22 > TAR 19 >>>>>>> TAR 24

Offline Theo

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • 2020 mood
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 07:28:34 PM »
TAR 18 > TAR 22 > TAR 23 > TAR 19 > TAR 21 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> TAR 24 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> TAR 20

TAR Jeopardy Revival: here

Offline stekay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 07:33:24 PM »
TAR18 > TAR19 > TAR21 > TAR20 > TAR22 > TAR23 >>>>>>>>> TAR 24

Offline TAR789

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 08:38:55 PM »
TAR18 >>>>>>>>>> TAR22 > TAR23 > TAR19 > TAR21 > TAR20 >>>>>>>>>>>>> TAR24
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 09:27:08 PM by TAR789 »

Offline naejae91

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 12:44:51 AM »
Ranking HD Season:
1) TAR18, TAR23 (tie)
3) TAR20
4) TAR19, TAR21 (tie)
6) TAR22
7) TAR24 (Worst season I ever watched in HD  :gaah: , total bottom ranking)
TAR25/TAR29: Modern classic season.

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 02:37:49 AM »
Alright , i think i'll be the only one , but , TAR21 was my fave , followed by 24.
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline SamualDude

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • YES.YES.YES
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 03:20:59 AM »
1. TAR 22
2. TAR 23 and TAR 18 (tie)
4. TAR 21 and TAR 19 (tie)
6. TAR 20

25. TAR 24 (Worst season ever of the race imo)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 04:49:05 PM by SamualDude »
It's Clobbering Time!

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 03:38:08 AM »
TAR 18 >>>>>>>>>>>>>> TAR 23 > TAR 22 > TAR 20 > TAR 19 > TAR 21 >>>>>>>>> TAR 24

But since TAR 19 my memory is hazy I don't remember much (compared to TAR10-TAR18 era which I know by heart)
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline supah

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2014, 08:00:39 AM »
TAR23
TAR18
TAR21
TAR22
TAR20
TAR19

TAR24

Offline Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2014, 03:54:10 PM »
TAR18 > TAR21 > TAR22 > TAR23 >> TAR20 > TAR19 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> TAR24
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better; it's not" - The Lorax

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2014, 04:02:56 PM »

25. TAR 25 (Worst season ever of the race imo)

HUH?? :funny: I am hearing the BEST since TAR 5!!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline SamualDude

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • YES.YES.YES
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2014, 04:49:19 PM »

25. TAR 25 (Worst season ever of the race imo)

HUH?? :funny: I am hearing the BEST since TAR 5!!

Oops xD I meant TAR 24 :P
It's Clobbering Time!

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2014, 10:45:36 PM »
1 (Best). TAR19 -
Show content
What lacked in vibe from the casting department made up for in the travel to new countries (Indonesia, Malawi, Belgium, and Denmark). The integration of unique tasks in their respectful environments brought this season together whether it was exploring the setting of the Panamanian Kuna natives or spelunking in a dark, spacious cavern. Some tasks may not have been as interesting as others, but all the tasks were placed in the appropriate setting at the right time; hence, one of the personal reasons I found this race successful. Secondly, TAR's classic suspenseful music/editing held one of its final runs in this season and it kept me anxiously jumping on my feet. I give respect for the editors showing us the extras like the infamous passport fiasco, Cathi tripping over and over in the Indonesian farm Detour, Liz & Marie's good Samaritan encounter, Cindy humorously trapping herself under a bed frame, and Marcus's football relatability (as annoying as it was). We barely see any fun moments on post-UB TAR nowadays it was nice to know not everything was an emotional and physical rush.

2. TAR23 -
Show content
A neat season indeed, this race brought different physiques and physicality although casting directors gave away to the urge of casting league sports players/associates/wives. Routing of 23 played safe by traveling to previously visited countries, but a handful of the episodes prove to be more enjoyable than I had expected; Leg 2 in Chile delivered an interesting contrast of desert:city:forest that I found very entertaining yet educational about the culture and different terrains in the beautiful country. The tasks in this race were solid - some more than others - and constructed a race experience that I would be satisfied to do for vacation. Not many extras presented on screen, but I will consider Marie inexperienced in hot springs cooking, small-town Tim practicing Austrian opera like nobody's business, and Nicky and Marie's airport drama great TAR moments. Not a bad season at all, but could have been better edited.

3. TAR18 -
Show content
Loosely referred as an "all-stars" season, the teams we rooted for in their original season were given a chance to redeem themselves after uneventful situations. I can relate to a do-over so I have nothing against this sub-concept. Sadly, I was mostly disappointed with the direction TAR was headed musically as there were significantly less dramatic and suspenseful moments than TAR17. I will give editors props for showing the Globetrotters playing basketball in their free time in China, Ronald & Christina's old bickery habits, and Zev & Justin enjoying their race more than last time. The only new country visited was the smallest country in the world; though, I would love the opportunity to explore Leichtenstein one day. In my honest opinion, tasks began their downward spiral from this point as they did not hold my interest nor memory for too long. The only task I truly can reminisce from 18 was the yak Roadblock where they had to take a picture from a Lijiang local. I simply did not feel the TAR spark as it used to be.

Wrote way too much on the top 3, keeping the rest short and informative.
4. TAR20 -
Show content
Teams: Too many bad, aggressive, and bitter fruit among a small dish of palatable ones. / Route: Decent at best with two new countries with new locales in revisited countries. / Tasks: Many forgettable tasks that feel uninspired or due to poor editing. / Editing: Still can not get over how Kerri & Stacy were shown to have zero personality and unreasonably edited during their seaso :groan: ... there were some moments editors came through like the Asuncion foot race between Elliot & Andrew and Vanessa & Ralph, Mark finishing the Bollywood dance after 12+ trials, and the music played while Phil described tasks and route info during the Turin Leg.

5. TAR22 -
Show content
Teams: I find this season's cast annoying and sometimes lack the field of personality except Chuck & Wynona. / Route: Decent choice of locations with Botswana and French Polynesia being personal favorites / Tasks: Except for the first two Legs in Bora Bora, the rest of the race was forgettable, boring, kind of inspired, but mostly put me to sleep. Jennifer describing her haggis preparation basically represents how monotone this season was with tasks. / Editing: Boring, linear, and predictable editing ahoy! It's sad the most memorable and only worthy quote I remember from this season is Phil saying "Oy vey".

6. TAR21 -
Show content
Teams: An interesting group, not necessarily the most memorable / Route: Very boring, especially after the second Indonesia Leg up to Mallorca, Spain / Tasks: Some of the tasks were pretty good, but most of them made me feel uninspired and drained my energy to root for any team / Editing: I feel like the editors lacked enough interest in this season they were biased in making this season look more appealing than it wasn't already.

I have LOTS to say about this season below, but I'm afraid I won't be able to put the vent review down all on one page. :pull
7 (Absolute worst). TAR24
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 10:51:50 PM by RachelLeVega »
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline BritishTARFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2014, 01:03:57 PM »
Best to worst

25 - 22 - 20 - 18 - 19 - 23 - 21 - 24

Offline naejae91

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2015, 02:22:25 AM »
Ranking HD Season:
1) TAR18, TAR23 (tie)
3) TAR20
4) TAR19, TAR21 (tie)
6) TAR22
7) TAR24 (Worst season I ever watched in HD  :gaah: , total bottom ranking)

Update:

(25>18) >>>>>> (19=22>21=23>20) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 24 (Worst season I ever watched in HD :gaah: , total bottom ranking)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 09:06:02 AM by 91zycn »

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2015, 04:08:10 AM »
lol @ some people not putting tar24 last

Offline cbacbacba1

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2015, 07:13:35 AM »
18 > 25 > 22 > 21 > 23 > 24 > 20 > 19

19 is so boring to me  )-**

Offline maxen

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2015, 07:59:12 AM »
TAR 25
TAR 18
TAR 22
TAR 23
TAR 21
TAR 19
TAR 20

TAR 24  :barf

Offline naejae91

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2015, 08:56:16 AM »
lol @ some people not putting tar24 last

Kinda agree. :lol:

Offline TARloveit

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The true winners of TAR26. Horribly robbed :(
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2015, 09:24:53 PM »
TAR 25 >>>>>> TAR 18 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> TAR 23 > TAR21 >>>> TAR 22 >> TAR19 >>>> TAR20 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> TAR24

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2015, 10:39:08 PM »
18 and 25 get tied for first in my opinion.
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline Lemontail

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2015, 11:57:38 PM »
25>18>22>23>21>19>20>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>24
"I will not not be rich" - Renata Klein on Big Little Lies

Offline ovalorange

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2015, 02:18:35 AM »
It really depends on what you look for in a season whether it be entertaining teams, great route, interesting tasks or decent winners. I don't 100% agree with anyone's ranking here, which makes me ask what aspects of the race makes a season more enjoyable for you?