Author Topic: Outlander  (Read 27357 times)

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
Outlander
« on: September 01, 2014, 11:26:48 PM »
I'm surprised no one has brought up this series even after the first four episodes have aired in the US, and the praise it is garnishing from the critics and viewers alike.

The series airs in the US on Starz, with Canada's Showcase running a couple of weeks behind, and with streaming providers airing the series in Australia, New Zealand, Japan and elsewhere; the only place where it does not yet have a broadcaster is in the UK. but it is thought that is due to the upcoming Scottish independence referendum.

The series is based on the international best-selling series of novels by Diana Gabaldon first published in 1991, and the tv series is being developed by Ron D. Moore of Battlestar Galactica fam (his wife and other members of his BSG production team are also involved, including composer Bear McCreary). Its a genre bending source material primarily historical fiction with a little sci-fi and romance thrown in. Both the novels and the tv series are initially set in post WWII and 1743 Scotland, as the female protagonist, Claire Randall, is separated from her husband, Frank, and ends up in the Scotland of 200 years before, where she encounters Jamie Fraser, a young Scottish laird.
The leads are cast with relative unknowns, but the critics consider them the breakout stars of this summer, and I am finding this to be one of the best series to come along in a few years; the opening episode was viewed by over 4 million people during a early viewing period online and on demand, the actual views the first three weeks have gone up each week, and Starz has already renewed the series for a second series of at least 13 episodes based on the second novel of the series, after the 16 episode first series airs. (Starz is airing the first 8 episodes now, and the remainder in early 2015).
I don't want to say too much about the plot because it is just that good. The entire series is being filmed on location in Scotland, and in episode 4, both Ron D. Moore and Diana Gabaldon have cameos, with Diana actually having a couple of lines and her first acting credit. She's a consultant for the series, but RDM and their production team are big fans of the book series and I will say it has been a very collaborative product. The actor who plays Jamie Fraser (Sam Hueghan) is Scottish to begin with and from what I've read online from Diana and fans of the book series he is Jamie.
In any event, is anyone here watching this, or am I the only one here?
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: Outlander
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 12:22:51 AM »
I thought I would be the only one! I have read every word of Diana's books over many years, have had the pleasure of meeting here several times, and have eagerly awaited a film version.

I am so happy that previous movie deals fell thru and we are able to have this wonderful series instead. Like most people who have invested much time devouring all the books (each >500 pages!) I had my own complete mental picture of each of the main characters. And each of those pictures were gone with the first episode. The casting is so superb, Caitriona IS Claire, Sam IS Jaime. It is filmed on location with exquisite attention to detail, it is as addictive as all the books.

It is a series for mature audiences, as there is some violence (true to the time) and sexual scenes as well. But if you like historical fiction, or appreciate an accurate historical film, you will love this.

The fans of Diana's books have embraced this series wholeheartedly. If you want more info you can follow all the updates and fan convo's here:

https://www.facebook.com/OutlanderTVSeries.starz/timeline

Here is a Intro to what we are talking about:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=694955713896974&set=vb.524783437580870&type=3&theater

The first episode can be viewed here for free, other episodes can be found.

http://www.starzplay.com/PlayMedia?id=md:cid:org:bydeluxe.com:3689794a-98d3-4239-8be8-4e04cffcb413

This will be your new addiction, trust us!!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 02:13:15 PM »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 02:27:12 AM »
Preview!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/mrKQH_vU0ps" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/mrKQH_vU0ps</a>

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 02:27:51 AM »
If you are interested but need a way to watch, please PM me!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 10:36:54 PM »
Starz is reporting that the total audience for the weekend of each new episode so far is averaging 3 million, which are great numbers for a pay cable channel, and for Starz, is shattering all records.

I finally gave in and bought the Kindle versions of the eight book series of the primary story. (There's a second set of stories based on a minor character in the Outlander series, all of which occur during and after the third Outlander novel.)

I'm looking forward to these next three episodes leading to the mid-season finale on the 27th, it will give me something to binge watch if I get bored with the new tv season. :)
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 07:23:22 AM »
You have a treat coming. I have read and reread all the books, they are addicting!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline kiki

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2014, 07:30:53 AM »
 I really loved the first five books  (read and reread them, especially the first) but I was so dissapointed with the last two, that I lost all motivation to watch the series. But since you both say it's good I'll give it a try.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2014, 09:20:07 AM »
It is wonderful kiki!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2014, 01:02:25 PM »
This episode was a difficult one to watch, so very intense. But it sets the stage for all to come.

As always, the production, the acting, are all superb.

And now, all the rest  begins.

Promo:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/mCRkDJ0U9Ts" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/mCRkDJ0U9Ts</a>
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2014, 06:31:28 PM »
This episode was a difficult one to watch, so very intense. But it sets the stage for all to come.

As always, the production, the acting, are all superb.

And now, all the rest  begins.

Agreed. That was one intense hour.
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2014, 10:14:54 AM »
 :hrt: :luvya: :hrt:

This week is the long awaited wedding!! First look pics are here:

http://www.people.com/article/outlander-wedding-images-exclusive

LOVELOVELOVE!!

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2014, 02:58:19 PM »
 I'm going to pass along the comment from the Orlando Sentinel about tomorrow night's episode:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/tv/tv-guy/os-good-wife-outlander-beyonce-20140919-post.html

The quote is in spoilers for those who don't want to be spoiled.
Show content
7. "Outlander," 9 p.m. Saturday, Starz

"The Strain" and "Outlander" were the summer's two standout new series. "Outlander," a time-travel romance, justifies all that critical love with the wedding of Claire (Caitriona Balfe) and Jamie (Sam Heughan). This -- the show's seventh episode -- is one of the sexiest hours ever presented on television and quite the payoff after the first six hours. The series is based on Diana Gabaldon's best-selling books, and rarely has an author been so well served by television.
-- theschnauzers

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2014, 01:59:24 PM »
From Deadline.com:

Ahead of its mid-season finale on Saturday, Starz has announced its hit series Outlander will return with the remaining eight episodes from Season 1 on Saturday, April 4, 2015. The series, adapted from Diana Gabaldon’s international bestselling books and executive produced by Ronald D. Moore, has already been picked up for a second season. Its seventh episode, “The Wedding” drew approximately 3.8M viewers in Live+3, the most on Starz since episode 5 of Spartacus: Vengeance in February 2012. It has averaged more than 5 million viewers for each of the first 4 episodes.

That 5 million figure is the live plus seven days, which are excellent. Since the production just wrapped filming season one yesterday (San Hueghan was literally the last actor released) and they will not begin principal filming season two until January, these six month breaks are going to be hard, but damn, the quality is well worth the wait.
-- theschnauzers

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2014, 05:45:59 PM »
I finally gave in and bought the Kindle versions of the eight book series of the primary story. (There's a second set of stories based on a minor character in the Outlander series, all of which occur during and after the third Outlander novel.)

Just finished reading all 8 novels yesterday. 37 days!
-- theschnauzers

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2014, 12:43:43 PM »
My cable service has put out a message that Starz and Encore will have a free preview period beginning November 26 through December 8th; which usually includes the Starz On Demand service as well.
If you have a US cable provider, you may want to check with them to confirm if your provider will also be having the Starz free preview period. This would be a good way for you to catch up on the first half season of Outlander.
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2015, 10:02:53 AM »
This is probably the best series I have ever seen on TV. Returning for the second half of series one April 4, and Series 2 is in production.

Don't miss out!!

New trailer for April 4:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Cdz_PtXrkwQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Cdz_PtXrkwQ</a>

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2015, 05:18:18 PM »
Apparently, our friends at tvshowsondvd.com have been able to get confirmation that DVD and BluRay sets for the first half of season one will be released in the US and Canada on March 3rd. They are already available for pre-order in Canada at amazon.ca (the Canadians will get a dual soundtrack in French and English)

And Sony announced last week that a soundtrack album for season 1A will be released on February 3rd on CD and for downloads; the CD can now be pre-ordered at Amazon for $ 8.99.
-- theschnauzers

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2015, 03:23:56 PM »
As of today, the Outlander season one, volume one DVD, Blu Ray, and Blu Ray Collector's Edition are now available at Amazon.com for pre-order
Go to http://www.amazon.com/Outlander-Season-01-Graham-McTavish/dp/B00RGQ4674/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1421788765&sr=8-2&keywords=outlander+tv+series+dvd
-- theschnauzers

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2015, 07:18:30 PM »
If you don't want to wait for the DVD set, you can now download season 1A and several extras from ITunes.
-- theschnauzers

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2015, 08:53:23 PM »
Per Ron D. Moore's announcement at Comic Con, season 1B will be available on September 29th, in DVD and Blu-Ray, and will include more extras and deleted scenes.

And Diana Gabaldon has confirmed at the panel that she is writing the script for one of the season 2 episodes.
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2017, 11:38:40 AM »
This is just as bad as waiting for TAR!

http://ew.com/tv/2017/02/15/outlander-returning-september/
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2018, 02:05:46 PM »
Season 4 premiere on STARZ and the STARZ app is November 4th, and will be available on the app beginning at 12:01 am, just like the two previous seasons. This season is baseball on the fourth novel of the Outlander series, “The Drums of Autumn.”
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2018, 09:13:49 AM »
RFF's Golden Rule: