Author Topic: TAR 25 WINNERS: Amy DeJong & Maya Warren "Sweet Scientists"  (Read 96268 times)

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR 25: Amy DeJong & Maya Warren "Sweet Scientists"
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2014, 07:11:03 AM »
Maya: We argued the whole time we were punting, for, like, three hours. They don’t show us arguing, but we were arguing the whole time, so I think as a team, that was definitely the hardest leg. But I’m glad it happened early because we were able to bounce back from it and talk about it and run the race even better than we previously had.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/12/22/winners-amazing-race-scientists-amy-maya/

Edit played a huge part in determining the likeability of the winner again~

I really would have loved to see that meltdown, even if it was in secret scenes. They released Dennis/Isabelle's Leg 1 Airport fight+ their Pit Stop clue being dropped into the water and them arguing trying to read the completely destroyed clue, why couldn't they have shown Amy/Maya's meltdown?  :cmaslol

Would certainly have made them more visible in early episodes.

Offline Bookworm

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2014, 07:20:43 AM »
The fight would have been great to see! :lol:
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better; it's not" - The Lorax

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2014, 09:14:10 AM »
To add some background about Amy's pelvis injury, Maya told us at the TAR finale party that when they were chosen to be on TAR, Amy realized that she needed to work on her conditioning. Maya runs marathons and Amy wanted to keep up. She started running. A lot. While wearing a backpack. She overdid it and hurt herself. Amy wanted to stay on TAR, so she used a couple of different pain medications during the entire race. Even still, she said she had sharp pains in her leg with every step she took.

I'd say that rates up there with the most courageous efforts ever on TAR.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2014, 03:06:01 PM »
My respect for Amy grew so much ever since the finale aired. How she won it for the team and then finding out about her injury! If I were to be her, I would probably not even last that long. Or quit like some team on TAR 22 :cmas11

Offline LFelix

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2014, 04:16:28 PM »
Amy: We watched a lot of episodes going in and we saw people arguing, but there’s no reason to argue. You only have a certain amount of energy in the day, why waste it on arguing?

Maya: We argued the whole time we were punting, for, like, three hours. They don’t show us arguing, but we were arguing the whole time, so I think as a team, that was definitely the hardest leg. But I’m glad it happened early because we were able to bounce back from it and talk about it and run the race even better than we previously had.

I'm confused  :cmas11

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2014, 08:41:34 PM »
Amy & Maya live chat on CBS.COM:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/6fGOXj7AOIo" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/6fGOXj7AOIo</a>
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2014, 08:59:16 PM »
Amy: We watched a lot of episodes going in and we saw people arguing, but there’s no reason to argue. You only have a certain amount of energy in the day, why waste it on arguing?

I'm confused  :cmas11

That was the only time they argued and they picked themselves up afterwards.

Offline Genius

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2015, 01:48:21 AM »
I guess they are really really lucky with the new non-elimination twist in Leg 11.

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR 25 WINNERS: Amy DeJong & Maya Warren "Sweet Scientists"
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2015, 05:27:02 PM »
Life is sweet for Amazing Race winners from Madison
MADISON -
Known on the CBS reality show "The Amazing Race" as the "sweet scientists," Amy DeJong and Maya Warren are focused on their research in a UW-Madison lab, but are still relishing their come-from-behind win. "We had so much fun, excited to bring the victory to Wisconsin," DeJong said.

The pair had known they claimed victory for months, but were sworn to secrecy until the Season 25 final aired last December. Since the big victory, how has life changed? Not much, according to Warren. "When I wake up in the morning, I don't think about the Amazing Race, I don't think about winning, I think about my research," she said.

Both DeJong and Warren are Ph.D. students in food science at UW-Madison, who specialize in researching candy and ice cream. That fact may have helped Amazing Race competitors underestimate them. "They called us 'the candy girls' instead of Ph.D. students," DeJong said.

Turns out it was a bad idea for Amazing Race opponents to overlook them. They say one of the best parts about winning was inspiring other women. "Other female scientists have emailed us to say thank you for finally showing the world that we are a force to be reckoned with. I mean we can have fun, we aren't the nerdy awkward people that are always in the media," DeJong said.

Warren says she still gets recognized in grocery stores, and still doesn't know just how to react. "I'm like, 'how do you know me?' but then I'm like, 'oh yeah, I was on the Amazing Race, you do know me!'" she said.

Both Warren and DeJong now use their celebrity to help recruit for the Badgers. As for the $1-million dollar winning prize, both put their share into savings, but both say the joy they felt from the experience was never about the money. "It was one of those things where we were underestimated but we new what we were capable of and we had fun," DeJong said.

"I hope we inspired you to go out and do something random, like we did,"Warren said.

DeJong has a few years left in her pursuit of a doctorate degree. Warren is scheduled to earn her Ph.D. later this year.

Source:http://www.cbs58.com/story/28204524/life-is-sweet-for-amazing-race-winners-from-madison

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2015, 06:43:29 PM »
Amazing plans for ‘Amazing Race’ winner

March 18, 2015

by David Tenenbaum

Photo: Maya Warren

Food science graduate student Maya Warren is pictured in a research lab in Babcock Hall.  When Warren completes her doctoral degree in August 2015, she aspires to launch a food consulting business and a TV show showcasing frozen desserts from around the world.

Photos: Jeff Miller

You may know Maya Warren for her $1 million victory, shared with fellow food science grad student Amy DeJong, in the latest edition of the CBS reality show “The Amazing Race.” You likely do not know that, after she receives her Ph.D. from the University of Wisconsin-Madison in August, she intends to homogenize her TV experience with her knowledge of ice cream, outgoing nature, and self-confidence to develop a show showcasing frozen desserts around the world.

“Even before the race, I had this idea to do a television show on ice cream and frozen dessert,” she says. “I’ve always been a person who is interested in doing something for the love, not the money.”

Does ice cream seem lightweight? Perhaps, but the “Amazing Race” contestants who slighted her team as the “Candy Girls” got their comeuppance with the duo’s come-from-behind victory in December’s final episode.

Photo: Warren serves up a test batch of ice cream

Warren serves up a test batch of ice cream.

Ice cream is the perfect communication vehicle, Warren says. “Talking to 5-year-olds, or 80-year-olds, it makes their eyes light up. The science is tangible. I can break it down so people can understand.”

Her comparative advantage, aside from that easy, enthusiastic manner, rests squarely on her education at UW-Madison: the science of food, the subtle interaction between flavor, texture, and (in the case of ice cream) temperature and melting properties.

For her dissertation, Warren is exploring fat agglomeration — how fat molecules cluster together. Her work could help ice-cream makers produce low-fat ice cream with better “mouth feel” and less gum and binder.

“Most people who do food shows are chefs, not scientists,” she says. “The love for food is growing, so for me it’s a cool opportunity.”

Warren also intends to stay active in the manufacturing side of frozen desserts, as she has been doing for Babcock Hall’s Frozen Dessert Center.

“Most people who do food shows are chefs, not scientists,” Warren says. “The love for food is growing, so for me it’s a cool opportunity.”

“My major professor, Rich Hartel, and I study microstructure. Scott Rankin (a professor of food science) has small-scale manufacturing equipment and in-depth knowledge of the sensory aspects of frozen desserts, and Bill Klein, who manages Babcock’s dairy plant, does larger scale manufacturing,” she says. The center provides services to manufacturers to troubleshoot or create new products.

Warren grew up near St. Louis, and played soccer and basketball and ran track in school. A good student, she majored in chemistry at Carleton College in Northfield, Minnesota. A summer internship at a food company turned her toward food science, and she came to UW-Madison to work on ice cream with Hartel.

Warren says her father, a chef; her mother, a minister; and her godparents, who helped raise her, were “super supportive. They always told me the sky isn’t the limit. There is so much more I can do. But when I said I would not be a medical doctor …” she says, trailing off. “They are so proud of all I have been able to accomplish. I am a go-getter, I’ve got to have fun, make everything a learning moment, and really be me. Family has instilled that in me.”

Warren says she and her road partner DeJong “were just there to have fun. We learned that a smile or a hug can speak volumes in a country where we could not speak the language.”

Photo: Amy DeJong and Maya Warren

Amy DeJong and Maya Warren won TV’s ’Amazing Race’ last year.

Photo: CBS

In a format that encourages rivalry, “we never put another team down,” Warren says. “Amy even gave another contestant her extra shoes, and they beat us that day.”

“Maya is a very motivated person who really likes to think outside the box,” says DeJong. “She has a lot of passions and is willing to put in the work she needs to achieve what she wants to achieve. She likes to share her passions with other people.”

DeJong says the duo decided to apply for the show without much consideration. “She started to talk about it, and I said it sounds like fun, and before we knew it, we were auditioning.”

The “Candy Girls” did, however, bring a secret weapon to the race, Warren says. “After the grueling process of getting a Ph.D., we know what it is like to be under mental strain. We know how to stay calm and succeed.”

Navigation was a key challenge, Warren says. “We got lost a lot, in Copenhagen, Morocco … On the last leg, we were driving through L.A., and knew we needed to stop and get directions. We were diligent about that. We would leave a building, and instead of getting into the car, would stop for directions. We saw the other teams just drive away, but we learned from the mistakes we made.”

In the race, as in life itself, “smartness does play a role,” Warren says.

For pics and more: http://www.news.wisc.edu/23585?utm_source=iUW&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=iUW2015-03-18
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline naejae91

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2015, 05:48:45 AM »

Food science graduate student Maya Warren is pictured in a research lab in Babcock Hall.  When Warren completes her doctoral degree in August 2015, she aspires to launch a food consulting business and a TV show showcasing frozen desserts from around the world.

For pics and more: http://www.news.wisc.edu/23585?utm_source=iUW&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=iUW2015-03-18

Dr. Maya Warren  :hearts: :hoot: :conf: :<3 :cheer: :luvya:
TAR25/TAR29: Modern classic season.

Offline TARloveit

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The true winners of TAR26. Horribly robbed :(
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2015, 07:08:17 AM »
I really want to watch Dr. Warren's show!

Offline naejae91

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2015, 07:34:11 AM »

I really want to watch Dr. Warren's show!

YESSS Dr. Warren enthusiastic personalities and many frozen desserts around the world (Sorbet, Ais Kacang, Gelato, Patbingsu, Kulfi, Kakigori,...) :luvu: in one show. This make me so hungry. Maybe her show is in food channel network in future? ???
TAR25/TAR29: Modern classic season.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2015, 10:28:49 AM »
Maya has been named TOP 15 of 10,000 grads this year!

Amazing plans for ‘Amazing Race’ winner

March 18, 2015

by David Tenenbaum

Photos: Jeff Miller

You may know Maya Warren for her $1 million victory, shared with fellow food science grad student Amy DeJong, in the latest edition of the CBS reality show “The Amazing Race.” You likely do not know that, after she receives her Ph.D. from the University of Wisconsin-Madison in August, she intends to homogenize her TV experience with her knowledge of ice cream, outgoing nature, and self-confidence to develop a show showcasing frozen desserts around the world.

“Even before the race, I had this idea to do a television show on ice cream and frozen dessert,” she says. “I’ve always been a person who is interested in doing something for the love, not the money.”

Does ice cream seem lightweight? Perhaps, but the “Amazing Race” contestants who slighted her team as the “Candy Girls” got their comeuppance with the duo’s come-from-behind victory in December’s final episode.

Photo: Warren serves up a test batch of ice cream

Warren serves up a test batch of ice cream.

Ice cream is the perfect communication vehicle, Warren says. “Talking to 5-year-olds, or 80-year-olds, it makes their eyes light up. The science is tangible. I can break it down so people can understand.”

Her comparative advantage, aside from that easy, enthusiastic manner, rests squarely on her education at UW-Madison: the science of food, the subtle interaction between flavor, texture, and (in the case of ice cream) temperature and melting properties.

For her dissertation, Warren is exploring fat agglomeration — how fat molecules cluster together. Her work could help ice-cream makers produce low-fat ice cream with better “mouth feel” and less gum and binder.

“Most people who do food shows are chefs, not scientists,” she says. “The love for food is growing, so for me it’s a cool opportunity.”

Warren also intends to stay active in the manufacturing side of frozen desserts, as she has been doing for Babcock Hall’s Frozen Dessert Center.

“Most people who do food shows are chefs, not scientists,” Warren says. “The love for food is growing, so for me it’s a cool opportunity.”

“My major professor, Rich Hartel, and I study microstructure. Scott Rankin (a professor of food science) has small-scale manufacturing equipment and in-depth knowledge of the sensory aspects of frozen desserts, and Bill Klein, who manages Babcock’s dairy plant, does larger scale manufacturing,” she says. The center provides services to manufacturers to troubleshoot or create new products.

Warren grew up near St. Louis, and played soccer and basketball and ran track in school. A good student, she majored in chemistry at Carleton College in Northfield, Minnesota. A summer internship at a food company turned her toward food science, and she came to UW-Madison to work on ice cream with Hartel.

Warren says her father, a chef; her mother, a minister; and her godparents, who helped raise her, were “super supportive. They always told me the sky isn’t the limit. There is so much more I can do. But when I said I would not be a medical doctor …” she says, trailing off. “They are so proud of all I have been able to accomplish. I am a go-getter, I’ve got to have fun, make everything a learning moment, and really be me. Family has instilled that in me.”

Warren says she and her road partner DeJong “were just there to have fun. We learned that a smile or a hug can speak volumes in a country where we could not speak the language.”

Photo: Amy DeJong and Maya Warren

Amy DeJong and Maya Warren won TV’s ’Amazing Race’ last year.

Photo: CBS

In a format that encourages rivalry, “we never put another team down,” Warren says. “Amy even gave another contestant her extra shoes, and they beat us that day.”

“Maya is a very motivated person who really likes to think outside the box,” says DeJong. “She has a lot of passions and is willing to put in the work she needs to achieve what she wants to achieve. She likes to share her passions with other people.”

DeJong says the duo decided to apply for the show without much consideration. “She started to talk about it, and I said it sounds like fun, and before we knew it, we were auditioning.”

The “Candy Girls” did, however, bring a secret weapon to the race, Warren says. “After the grueling process of getting a Ph.D., we know what it is like to be under mental strain. We know how to stay calm and succeed.”

Navigation was a key challenge, Warren says. “We got lost a lot, in Copenhagen, Morocco … On the last leg, we were driving through L.A., and knew we needed to stop and get directions. We were diligent about that. We would leave a building, and instead of getting into the car, would stop for directions. We saw the other teams just drive away, but we learned from the mistakes we made.”

In the race, as in life itself, “smartness does play a role,” Warren says.

pics and more: http://www.news.wisc.edu/23585
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2015, 02:24:50 AM »
MAYA <33333333333333333333

ALL-STARS WINNERS EDITION PLEASE.

Offline Lemontail

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2015, 02:31:37 AM »
MAYA <33333333333333333333

ALL-STARS WINNERS EDITION PLEASE.

Would Amy & Maya able to survive under of increased hardiness of TAR All-Stars Winner Edition with tasks like TAR 18?
"I will not not be rich" - Renata Klein on Big Little Lies

Offline TARloveit

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2015, 02:37:20 AM »
TAR24 was an 'all-star' season and it was a cakewalk, so yeah :lol:

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2015, 02:39:59 AM »
Hello, Caroline and Jennifer made it to the end in TAR 24. If that is possible, anything is possible. :funny:

Offline Lemontail

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2015, 02:43:59 AM »
Hello, Caroline and Jennifer made it to the end in TAR 24. If that is possible, anything is possible. :funny:

But, it's due tasks of TAR 24 were too easy like TAR 15 compared to TAR 11 and 18.
"I will not not be rich" - Renata Klein on Big Little Lies

Offline Keepcopz

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #69 on: June 02, 2015, 06:23:27 AM »
I think TAR25's hardiness is on par with those seasons too and they manage to win it. So don't count them off yet if that come!  :hoot:

If Caroline & Jennifer can made it to final 4 and 3 and Mike & Rochelle can manage to make it to final 4 and win a leg. :lol: Anything can happen!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #70 on: June 02, 2015, 07:16:26 AM »
Topic please. :funny:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline TARloveit

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #71 on: June 02, 2015, 07:59:59 AM »
Topic please. :funny:
We're talking about the possibility of them doing well on a returning teams season, I think that's still technically on topic.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #72 on: June 02, 2015, 08:03:24 AM »
Any talk about Maya and Am is very welcome. Discussing an AllStars in general and who else would be good is off-topic and should be done elsewhere. . Thanks!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #73 on: June 04, 2015, 07:22:27 AM »
GOING BACK ON TOPIC = AMAYA LOVE <333333333 :funny:

Offline paradoxinee

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #74 on: December 06, 2015, 09:10:36 PM »
I wonder why this team has Winner thing in their topic title? I do think it will be spoiler for someone who have not watch season 25.

Edit: Just check and some other winners has it too.