Archive > TAR Canada

TAR CANADA 2 Contestants - Jen King and Shawn King (Married)

(1/3) > >>

Alenaveda:
Jen King and Shawn King (Married)

Jen King

Twitter: @2ndNatureNut

Current City: Halifax
Hometown: Oromocto, N.B.
Strengths: Independent, well-travelled, known teammate for majority of life
Fears/Phobias: None
Favourite Travel Destination: Kelowna, B.C.
Pet Peeve about Teammate: “He is a little obsessive.”

Shawn King

Twitter: @extremekinger

Occupation: Partner, President, and Chief Creative Officer of an Advertising Agency
Current City: Halifax
Hometown: Carbonear, N.L.
Strengths: Engaging, detail-oriented, known teammate for majority of life
Fears/Phobias: Snakes
Favourite Travel Destination: Italy or Germany
Pet Peeve about Teammate: “She gets ‘hangry’ (hungry and angry) and everything has to stop until she eats. It can be a pain sometimes.”

TEAM BIO

These charismatic East Coast sweethearts met when Shawn was in a band and Jen was dating a jock. Friends first, they have now been married for 15 years and work hard to maintain a strong bond and loving relationship. This edgy, tattooed couple claims they are fun while still dedicated to their careers and family. Neither is shy about pointing out the other’s mistakes but after more than 20 years, these two have a remarkable capacity to hash things out quickly, albeit sometimes loudly.

Both Jen and Shawn are concerned that their age might play a factor in the race. Although both are in great shape they worry about the physical challenges might trip them up. These two often finish each other sentences and agree that their relationship is their greatest asset. “Having a teammate who’s known me for more than half my life is a strength,” said Jen. “It’s how we work together,” agrees Shawn. “We know each other very well.”

As parents, they are focused on staying in touch with what is going on in their 17-year-old son’s life. They’re the “cool parents” that all the kids come to for advice, which helps them maintain a close relationship with their own teenager.

Jen and Shawn would like to prove to their family, and themselves, that they are up for 'The Amazing Race Canada' challenge and that not giving up is what life is all about. There’s a sense that both of them are ready to prove to the world that their “cool” factor hasn’t disappeared. Winning would also help them with their son’s impending college finances.

Motto: “Get ‘er done.”

Team they most associate with from Season 1: Jen: “Brett and Holly”. Adds Shawn, “Also Kristen and Darren because they are outdoorsy, adventurous and seemingly a little more carefree.”

Leafsfan.:
Jen and Shawn want to prove to themselves (and their teenage son) they can win 'The Amazing Race Canada'
After being married for 15 years, high school sweethearts Jen and Shawn King are ready for their next adventure – running “The Amazing Race Canada.”

The couple from Halifax, N.S., say they’ve been everywhere from Italy to Iceland together and can’t wait to see what other great places are waiting to be discovered.

“We travel together a lot! We just came back from Germany in the fall for our 15th wedding anniversary. We went to Oktoberfest and celebrated there. We’ve been to Italy together and we were just in Iceland for my 40th birthday . . . we thought this would be a great experience to travel across Canada and see home,” says Jen.

The couple is also hoping to show their 17-year-old son Cohen they will not give up no matter what.

“There were so many times when we were getting ready to do our audition tape and I was like, ‘We have to show him we can do this,’” says Shawn, 41.

“When he first said, ‘You’re not going to make it’ we were like, ‘Well we’ll see, we’ll see.’ And now that (we’ve made it on the show), I’m hoping that’s what he gets from it – is that you’ve just got to try and you never know,” says Shawn.

“Maybe he’ll want to hang out with us after this,” adds Jen with a laugh.

Joking aside, Jen and Shawn consider themselves “cool parents” who are pretty easy going.

“We’re not that old I think to be parents of a teenager, which is kind of cool so I like to think we’re still somewhat relevant, you know? So he’s the beneficiary of that for sure,” says Shawn.

“But we learn a lot from him, too. He keeps us young,” adds Jen.

As well as their never-give-up attitude, Jen and Shawn say knowing each other so well – they’ve been friends since they were teenagers after all – is going to give them an edge on the “Race.”

“We’ve gotten to know what buttons not to push and what buttons to push. So, that’s probably going to be a good thing,” says Shawn.

“And I don’t think we want to let each other down. So I think we’ll fight for each other,” says Jen.

Source:http://www.ctv.ca/TheAmazingRaceCanada/Articles/Season-Two/tarc_season_2_Jen_Shawn_Feature_prove_to_son.aspx

Leafsfan.:
https://www.youtube.com/v/spi9W9pOvPU

Credit: Youtube user: cisolatw

Leafsfan.:
"Not your average road trip"

article about the team which wont let me copy paste here  :groan:

Source:http://thechronicleherald.ca/artslife/1221069-not-your-average-road-trip

Alenaveda:

--- Quote from: Leafsfan on July 08, 2014, 11:37:47 AM ---"Not your average road trip"

article about the team which wont let me copy paste here  :groan:

Source:http://thechronicleherald.ca/artslife/1221069-not-your-average-road-trip

--- End quote ---

Jen and Shawn King aren’t the same people they used to be.

The married Hammonds Plains couple is one of the 11 teams competing on the second season of The Amazing Race Canada, that debuts Tuesday at 10 p.m. on CTV.

“Your perspective changes,” says Jen, during an interview outside Niche Lounge in Halifax where they will hold a viewing party Tuesday beginning at 8 p.m.

“Little things that used to be important aren’t anymore,” agrees Shawn.

Filming wrapped up earlier this year and the Kings can’t reveal if they won the race and $250,000 in cash, plus other prizes.

But the couple, who met as teenagers in high school in Oromocto, N.B., light up when talking about sharing the experience with each other.

“Some teams didn’t do it with their significant other, but I can’t imagine what it would be like,” says Shawn, 41.

“Your mental headspace when you are finished is different and it would be difficult for someone to understand why you’re so different. We’re lucky we did it together and can talk about it.”

The Kings, parents of 17-year-old son Cohen, who recently graduated from Charles P. Allen High School in Bedford, have been bursting with the news they were part of the hit reality show, which averaged 3.5 million viewers a week last season.

But they couldn’t tell anyone outside of a small group of insiders, like Shawn’s parents, who came to stay with Cohen during the filming, and their co-workers, who had to take up some slack while they were away. Jen manages the Canadian School of Natural Nutrition, while Shawn is the president and chief creative officer of Extreme Group.

Keen travellers — they celebrated Jen’s 40th birthday in Iceland in February — they were huge fans of the American version of The Amazing Race, watching together and debating who would do each challenge.

So when they heard a call for contestants for the Canadian version, they rushed to send in their three-minute audition tape.

“We make home videos of all our trips, so we had lots of content and we also filmed us sitting on the couch talking about why we’d be good contestants,” says Shawn, noting they included footage of Italy, Paris, Germany and Zurich.

Three days later they got a call that they had advanced to the second round, and by the fourth round, when a producer came to Halifax to interview them, they decided to just have fun.

“We decided to be honest and as much ourselves as we could be and have fun,” says Shawn.

They were selected in February and left for their adventure in April.

The lure for Jen was travelling to parts of Canada people normally don’t see and the opportunity to experience the unique culture.

Shawn says it was the opportunity to travel and do “really, really adventurous things.”

“We like to travel spontaneously. Our favourite way to travel is unscripted.”

“When you get older, you don’t get to play. We had the opportunity to play with the best people in the country. We call them our superhero friends,” says Jen, noting most of the teams are going to Toronto this summer for a reunion.

“There’s a bond there you can’t relate to unless you’ve done it,” adds Shawn.

The teams were super competitive, but what went on in the race stayed in the race, Jen notes.

“When the day was over, you shared experiences and stories, asked how (people did) a challenge, saw how other people played the game.”

And Shawn says it was harder than it looked.

“You get so wound up and I didn’t expect it to be that way. It’s surprising how much you are willing to do under that much adrenaline. It’s amazing. Under normal circumstances you would give up."

“The takeaway is if you push through, you can figure out how to do it.”

One of their fears heading into the competition was that their age would be a hindrance, but that didn’t prove to be the case.

The duo weren’t the oldest in the competition; that distinction went to dancer Rex Harrington, 51, and his fiance, dental consultant Bob Hope, 47, of Ashburn, Ont.

The Kings did earn the honour of being the competitors with the longest relationship. They met on Jan. 19, 1991, when a friend invited then-17-year-old Jen to see a show by 18-year-old Shawn’s band.

And while there were a few moments during the stressful competition when they fought, the competition actually brought the pair closer.

“We had common enemies. When we fought, we’d pull out of it pretty quick,” says Shawn.

They both dreamed about the Amazing Race after it was all over. “And when they announced the teams, I started dreaming about it again. It’s always on your mind,” says Shawn, who admits to a phobia of snakes.

They look at viewing the episodes as the final part of the adventure.

“Now is the best part. We’re so excited and so proud and we finally get to share,” says Jen, noting they haven’t seen anything yet.

WHO ARE THEY?

Jen and Shawn King, Hammonds Plains

Nova Scotia’s competitors on The Amazing Race Canada

Jen (@2ndNatureNut)

Occupation: manager, Canadian School of Natural Nutrition, Halifax
Favourite travel destination: Kelowna, B.C.
Pet peeve about teammate: He is a little obsessive.

Shawn (@extremekinger)

Occupation: president and chief creative officer, Extreme Group, Halifax
Favourite travel destination: Italy or Germany
Pet peeve about teammate: “She gets ‘hangry’ (hungry and angry) and everything has to stop until she eats. It can be a pain some time.

Parents of 17-year-old Cohen

Motto: Get ’er done

Season Two premiere: Tuesday at 10 p.m. on CTV

Hosted by: Jon Montgomery

Source: www.ctv.ca/TheAmazingRaceCanada

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version