Author Topic: TAR 24 East Coast EP 2 SHOW updates and commentary **please read the rules**  (Read 33032 times)

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
One thing I noticed. No mention of the Achilles heel or cancer from Dave and Connor this episode! A lot of the edit was geared towards Mark and Mallory this leg and a lot of the edit last leg was geared towards Natalie and Nadiya.

DON'T. Don't even mention. It will come. Let it rest for now.

Offline Zachary

• RFF Sr. Member
  • YESSS THEY ARE!!!!
All hail the blondes!!!

It's kinda a low move on their part but It paid off eventually.
Besides, The blondes are generally one of the weakest teams so far.
it's only fair to give it to them
why risk having them going home and would have to give it to another team besides them

this leg is soooooo messy I can't even ...
what with the different placements at the starting point from last week's pit stop and the seven teams at the pit-stop and the mark-mallory going at it ...

the only highlights were the kids and Brenchel finally winning a leg. They're one of the only few teams in the race that hasn't won a leg at all. So pumped they finally won one. Hopefully more to come

Brenchel seemed to be more in sync this time around. Although I am not surprised because compared to season 20, Brenchel should have this season way easier than 20. I wish I could speak the same for Mark since he actually won a leg in 20.

And to be quite honest, I don't really see Mark and Mallory as a compatible team for this race. It was a failure attempt and oddly it just seemed so ... forced. Not that I dislike any of them, even Bopper, but I kinda wish they just cast another team. I feel like either they "really" want to have Mark in the race, or they "really" want to have Mallory in the race, but either's partner is eligible to come back... just saying...

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
Just like everyone else, I think this episode is better than the previous one, sad elimination though. :(
- I liked seeing the cowboys fall from first to last. Just like what I said last season about the Exes falling from 1st. Too bad the cowboys caught up. :lol: After all, it's a fun part seeing them climbing out of last.
- I only like seeing teams go from 1st to last when it doesn't get the team eliminated. For Team Kentucky unfortunately...  :torche
- Rb was nice with the kids around. :)
- Team Kentucky: Imo, I don't know who to blame, because their opinions are different. They bickered all the way to the detour. Just like everyone else said, they look good together as a hybrid team, but they don't work well. :( From last leg's stadium-trust thingy, all the way to this. It's sad seeing them go, but they really don't work together, since they didn't know each other much before the race. Their trust and communication to each other was... trainwreck.
- Honestly, I don't like Rachel, but she has changed, in a likable way. She's not a crybaby anymore unlike back then in TAR20. So I will now put away my hate from this team. Good thing that they finally won a leg too. Poor Margie & Luke though, but they've won at least a leg before, and it's their 3rd time anyway.
- On the other hand, the Country Singers: :groan: :tantrum (:;) I wanted them out :( and they should've gone home this leg instead of Team Kentucky. They way they begged for the EP: :gaah: Although the Cowboys made a smart move by giving it away to a weak team, I just don't like them surviving. I even want to question why they're in all-stars, but I just let it be, and I don't like them. :( From TAR22's u-turn alliance, and now this EP thing. :gaah: I wanted them out soon, but the spoilers... :( but I think what they'll be doing on the cowboys will be fun to watch. :lol:
- Meghan helping out Team JJ was a selfless move for an alliance, but they were fighting for last. It's a good thing that they didn't get eliminated for that, but it was a close one.
- The 7 teams on the mat almost simultaneously. :hrt: It was awesome, and record breaking! :conf: :hearts:
- The tasks were much better than last leg's. Too bad we didn't get to see the therapy detour.
- The placement changes during and between the tasks were great. They weren't linear. :)

Offline RaceUntilWeDie

• RFF Frantic Poster
Bringing in Mallory as Mark's partner was a terrible idea imo. Remember how Brook & Claire couldn't race because of Claire's pregnancy (though I believe they also couldn't race due to contract issues) - they didn't just drop Claire, they dropped the whole team and replaced them with someone else. Why couldn't they do the same? And bring in GARY & Mallory (who I'm sure would be nice enough to race for the same cause: Bopper.)

Someone else said it a few posts earlier than me, but I think both of them are to blame in this particular situation.

- They should check their stuff before taking off..? I know the Race is stressful and stuff, but how did neither of them notice that Mark's bag wasn't put into the trunk?
- I noticed that a majority of you guys love Mallory (who doesn't?! Well.. the Facebook casuals :res: ) and are taking her side because she brought up the fact that she has the medicine Mark needs and offered to buy a new backpack. But let's face it - what would happen to Mark when he needs a nice warm jacket in, [let's say,] the Arctic? And honestly I wouldn't want to race with one set of clothes for 20+ days straight.
- Mallory should have handed his bag to him at least.
- Mark was getting frustrated with EVERY single thing Mallory did which made me feel bad :(

Their communication was a big, big mess. This is obviously due to the fact that they are practically STRANGERS and don't have much trust in each other.

- If GARY had left his backpack lying around in the same situation,  I think Mallory would have understood a bit more. Mallory, as the daughter, would have listened or showed some understanding/care. Since Mark was her partner and NOT her dad, she fought for what she felt was right (to leave the bag and go).
- The same goes for Mark except I don't think he would have been so aggressive towards Bopper.

I feel sosososo bad that Mark and Mallory were put into this mess. :'(

Offline WalterC

• RFF Full Member
Episode 1: All about Twinnies
Episode 2: All about Kentuckey

:res:

Let's be real, those were two of the best teams in this "All Stars" cast. So I can't really blame them.

Or because they're eliminated

It was all about them because they were eliminated??? Because that would be crappy editing on the producers' part.

Offline WalterC

• RFF Full Member
Also, Mark & Mallory joins the ranks of Kevin & Drew and Mike & Mel as teams that were enjoyable the first time around, but miserable disasters the 2nd (or 3rd in Mallory's case) time around, that I wanted their elimination so badly. Just so freaking painful to watch. While I would assumed it would have been the same for Mark, even if he was racing with Bopper, I don't think it would have been the case with Mallory if she raced with Gary.

Also, any wishes for racers from different teams racing together, will be put to rest (does anyone really want to see a Colin/Jonathan teamup?)

For the rest of the season, you better be entertaining! Anything less than that, will be highly unacceptable.

Bringing in Mallory as Mark's partner was a terrible idea imo. Remember how Brook & Claire couldn't race because of Claire's pregnancy (though I believe they also couldn't race due to contract issues) - they didn't just drop Claire, they dropped the whole team and replaced them with someone else. Why couldn't they do the same? And bring in GARY & Mallory (who I'm sure would be nice enough to race for the same cause: Bopper.)

I wonder how many cases of that happening, as I can think of a few others where one could not do it, so the whole team was not brought back. But since they are from the single-digit seasons, I guess no chance of coming back at all.

Offline Hysha

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • TAR - Survivor - BB - Pekín Express <3
I don't know what's up with the Intro and the starting order but... It was confusing. @.@

Well... the last week I said that I dont' like the Country Singers... I say it again. :/
If Jet & Cord didn't give the Express Pass to them, they were the eliminated team. Stupid Cowboys... args!!

Well, the leg was ok, but I want more... the same feelings like the Leg 1.

I really love Jessica & John, Joey & Meghan and Margie & Luke. I like Brenchel too. I'm sad because my two favorites teams (J/J & J/M) are in the back of the pack again but... they're still racing... YET! T_T

So, now:

LOVE: Jessica & John, Joey & Meghan, Margie & Luke.
LIKE: Brendon & Rachel.
NEUTRAL: Dave & Connor, Flight Time & Big Easy, Leo & Jamal, Mark & Mallory (I don't like their behavior... I don't like so much in this Leg, but I'm sad because they were eliminated).
DISLIKE: Caroline & Jennifer (nearly in HATE).
HATE: Jet & Cord.

I love they go to another country, because these two China leg's was a little bored. I think Malaysia leg's have better scenery. We go to the jungleee! :D
#TeamWentworth
Kelley/Ciera/Abi/Kass goddesses

Offline NMC

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Formally nmccarroll91 🇮🇪
There's soooooooo many Posts I want to reply directly to, but there's just too many, so I'll get all my thoughts out here.

From following the Spoiler thread during filming, I remember being THRILLED when it was revealed Mark & Mallory finished the RB first, but that slowly turned to devastation, and when it was confirmed they were eliminated I was majorly pissed!  :'(

BUT now after watching both episodes so far, this team has been a train wreck. :groan:
I'm annoyed with both of them.  As they stated themselves, they had no trust, Mallory forgot the bag, it was her fault but she shouldn't be condemned for it because Mark could have easily went on and finished the leg and then return for the bag after. I did feel sorry for him though, when he said he had nothing and all he had was in that bag, which makes his determination to get the bag understandable.

The thing that's really got me is that I think the majority of us that followed the spoilers believed that the bag incident was the reason for their elimination? I don't think so.
Honestly, I think had they not forgot the bag, or just left it, they still would've been the last to finish the detour.

If I was to choose anyone for Mark & Mallory's elimination it'd be the Cowboys.  :funny:
If the girls wern't given the EP, then they def would have been out.

Ultimately, I'm sad as hell that Mark & Mallory are gone, but at the same time I'm happy as I'll not be worrying about them the rest of the season. They're still my favourite team from this entire cast but it just wasn't meant to be.
They were seriously annoyed with each other, and on a side note, I see that Mallory and Mark arn't friends on Facebook, even though they're friends with quite a few other racers. I know it means very little but thought it was an interesting note.

As I said on another thread, and I see a few people mention it here, All Stars 3 NEEDS Bopper & Mark, but also I'd love to see Gary & Mallory return, just to see the dynamics between the two teams when they're competing against each other, having raced together prior.

BRIEF EPISODE REVIEW

Where the hell was the intro?? I really missed it. :( :lol:
And the departure times were all messed up? I assume it was production time credits, but I'd love to know where the production errors occurred? Possibly at Canton Tower?  ???

The whole EP fiasco is exactly that.  I can't get my head around the Cowboys just giving it away? Sure the girls are a weaker team, but don't give it to a team you know could pass you once you hand it to them? Either way, I still LOVE CaroJen.  :luvya:

As for the overall episode, it had everything the race is about.  The Meltdowns, EP Drama (Although not as epic as S23), constant position changes, flat out excitement, especially at the Pitstop, and most importantly, it was emotional. Whether you liked Kentucky or not, you couldn't help but feel some sort of emotion for them.
I'm putting this down as one of my Top 5 all time great eps.  :conf:

Ahhhhh, I'm glad to get that off my chest!  :colors
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 10:37:52 AM by nmccarroll91 »
.... The World is Waiting! ....

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
Mark could have easily went on and finished the leg and then return for the bag after.

They can't.

Offline NMC

• RFF Frantic Poster
Mark could have easily went on and finished the leg and then return for the bag after.

They can't.

Really?? Why? I'm sure production wouldn't stop him from going back and getting his bag? I mean he has 12 hours to do it?
Even if he wasn't allowed, crew members that were at the RB location could have picked it up, kept it and gave it back to him after the race is over? Well at least that's what should happen if he isn't allowed to go back for it himself had he decided to continue.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE

They can't.

Really?? Why? I'm sure production wouldn't stop him from going back and getting his bag? I mean he has 12 hours to do it?
Even if he wasn't allowed, crew members that were at the RB location could have picked it up, kept it and gave it back to him after the race is over? Well at least that's what should happen if he isn't allowed to go back for it himself had he decided to continue.

Yes, crew members MIGHT BE able to pick it up and keep it for him till the end of the race. But we will never know unless some racers speak out. Just in case you didn't realize, in TAR 13... the cameraman knew Dallas left his passport pouch behind, but let the cab drive off with it anyway. I am more incline to think that production WON'T pick up anything for them.

During the 12 hours or pit-stop rest time, it's always time for interviews and they will always be in their hotel rooms/some place to do their interviews and will be isolated from the other teams. They won't get to go out and shop or tour or sightsee.

Offline NMC

• RFF Frantic Poster

They can't.

Yes, crew members MIGHT BE able to pick it up and keep it for him till the end of the race. But we will never know unless some racers speak out. Just in case you didn't realize, in TAR 13... the cameraman knew Dallas left his passport pouch behind, but let the cab drive off with it anyway. I am more incline to think that production WON'T pick up anything for them.

During the 12 hours or pit-stop rest time, it's always time for interviews and they will always be in their hotel rooms/some place to do their interviews and will be isolated from the other teams. They won't get to go out and shop or tour or sightsee.

I didn't know about the TAR 13 incident, but in TAR 19 the camera crew saw Kaylani's passport at the Gas Station and said nothing either.  I was under the impression that production couldn't pick up "essential" items that teams drop such as Passports, Money or Clues, but I would have assumed they could get the backpack and keep it away from the team till after the race.

As for the 12 hours, I know the teams are to be "sequestered" and kept away from anyone but their partners, etc.. but again I thought they may have made an exception for Mark to go and get his Backpack. 

The first option of getting a crew member to get the backpack is the probably the most likely outcome if they were to retrieve the pack, but I still can't help but think that Mark made the wrong decision to go back for it? Although I do understand why he went back.

Offline Plaidmoon

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
I thought Mark was wrong on insisting on going back for the backpack. Given the other teams reactions to Bopper having to withdraw and to Mark and Mallory's elimination, I suspect the other teams would have chipped in enough money to buy Mark a few tee shirts and a pair of pants. I've also read around here somewhere that Leo and Jamal were spending an hour or so before each leg in the hotel lobby asking people for money and generally getting as much from that as they were given for each leg. Being poor, Mark might have had some issues with begging, but he would have at least still been in the race. If they would have done that for a few legs, I think Mark would have been able to replace all that he lost. I'm wondering if there was something else in the backpack that he needed or refused to let go of. That said, surviving the leg probably would have just delayed the inevitable. They were too mismatched and dysfunctional to last for long.

I also think they hurt themselves by doing the Featherball instead of the cupping massage. Neither of them seemed very athletic or agile and I suspect the massage would have been faster. Several of the teams might have benefitted by this as some of their Featherball attempts were kind of painful to watch.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
OMG NO INTRO, WHAT IS GOING ON!?!?!?!?!?

THIS. I JUST WATCHED. THIS. AFTER 24 SEASONS AND THEY CUT A 35 SECONDS INTRO?

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
Can somebody make a moving gif of Luke's expression when they open up the clue to discover they are still racing in China?

I think that's just priceless. He would have agreed wholeheartedly as well. Get me out of China! :funny:

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
Can somebody make a moving gif of Luke's expression when they open up the clue to discover they are still racing in China?

I think that's just priceless. He would have agreed wholeheartedly as well. Get me out of China! :funny:
:DDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

I didn't think someone would point that out, but I also caught that and it was hilarious xD
Luke has ran 19 legs up until now, 6 of them were in China lol  :funny:

Offline NMC

• RFF Frantic Poster
I thought Mark was wrong on insisting on going back for the backpack. Given the other teams reactions to Bopper having to withdraw and to Mark and Mallory's elimination, I suspect the other teams would have chipped in enough money to buy Mark a few tee shirts and a pair of pants. I've also read around here somewhere that Leo and Jamal were spending an hour or so before each leg in the hotel lobby asking people for money and generally getting as much from that as they were given for each leg. Being poor, Mark might have had some issues with begging, but he would have at least still been in the race. If they would have done that for a few legs, I think Mark would have been able to replace all that he lost. I'm wondering if there was something else in the backpack that he needed or refused to let go of. That said, surviving the leg probably would have just delayed the inevitable. They were too mismatched and dysfunctional to last for long.

I agree with you about Mark making the wrong decision, but I just listened to Mark & Mallory's elimination interview with Rob Cesternino on his website, and Mark said that leaving the Backpack wasn't an option because he borrowed it from someone that had already won the race using it, so he thought it would be good luck.  He hints towards it belonging to Rachel & Dave, so I guess that explains why he didn't want to leave it behind.

Here's the link to the interview if you want to hear it. :)

http://robhasawebsite.com/amazing-race-all-stars-exit-interview-mark-jackson-mallory-ervin-kentucky/
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 03:11:01 PM by nmccarroll91 »

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11

"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline Leilani

• RFF Full Member
I goofed earlier and managed to miss some of the posts in the middle, so I apologize if someone has already mentioned this.  I can't fault Mark for wanting to go back and get the bag.  It's easy to say that it wasn't much and that he can buy new clothes or whatever else was in there.  It's easy to say it because many of us (I'll refrain from using all as I don't personally know everyone here) are in a position where we can just replace a backpack and the items in it.  From what I've heard and read, Mark is not only not a wealthy person he is poor.  When someone is or has been poor, things that seem to hold little value to us are worth a fortune to them.  He is probably very accustomed to not spending money on himself because he doesn't have anything left after he takes care of his family's needs.  So to him, spending even $50 on a couple new shirts and a pair of pants is $50 less that he has to take care of his family.  I can absolutely understand why the bag was so important to him.  I also get the feeling that he is a proud man that would be extremely uncomfortable asking others for handouts.  I kind of get the feeling that he's the type of person who wouldn't be terribly comfortable taking money from others if they offered.  While I could see him accepting the offer to help his family, I get the impression that he wouldn't feel good about it and certainly wouldn't accept it so that he could spend it on himself.  That's just the impression I get.  I don't know the guy, but he gives off that vibe.

Offline Vitoko

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • IQUIQUE - TAR23 LEG1
I'm late to the party but, let me start from the top...

Guangzhou Opera House
I have personal issues with the Opera House, with the architect actually but why don't we just not talk about that...
I usually don't mind teams departing in a different order as long as it is explained because overall this is a race and you should respect the order of teams.

Chen Clen Academy
I thought this was a really cool way to give the clue to the teams while showing us another side of chinese culture.
It also a struggle for the teams because of the language barrier, the cowboys were the only ones to be affected by this though...

Roadblock
oh man, I have issues with this...
In one way this was interesting to see because we get to see them struggle to put something together while being distracted, Mark getting it before everyone else was impressive and got excited for them, then lack of communication started to affect the team and it was all downhill from there. Language barrier trying to figure out the schematics...
Is always nice to see the race giving something out to the city they are using to race, so I aprove of the car delivery.

Express Pass
I see this as a two way move... From Caroline&Jennifer perspective, yes they did the right move to ask the EP to Jet&Cord but I thought they were not gonna use it right away, it would've been nice to see them at least try to do the roadblock instead they just gave up on it right away... From Jet&Cord perspective, they didn't care about the EP, they've always race on their own, no alliances and no favors, so they were not gonna do anything with it, giving the EP away, they take pressure out of their shoulders and it did not affect them at all considering it was wasted rightaway and they had a lot of teams behind them...
Now that the 2nd EP is gone, we are not gonna get a repeat from last season where the EP was the main focus for a long time.

One Sided Detour
Oh man, after 23 seasons, you would expect whoever put the legs together to predict this sort of things. Teams have learn in multiple ways that they always need to be in control of their race, when you put therapy+sauna it just a waste of time for someone that is in a hurry, the featherball thing can be done really fast or at least you can try and get lucky with it and finish it... It sounds boring but it was actually fun to watch all the teams try to do it at the same time, the idea that everything can happen and they are all there to watch it happen is great.

Pitstop
It was great to see all the teams get there so close to each other, but the location wasn't really that interesting, maybe a view from the sky would've make it more interesting. It allow us to have a race to the mat though and that's nice. It was fun to see Phil get the order wrong for I think the first time in 24 seasons, it reminds of the Pool Pitstop in one of the earlier seasons, don't remember which one, but it was equally funny...

Mark&Mallory
It was sad to see them go but I was fine with it, they didn't have good communication, they didn't know each other, they didn't have good teamwork, they were destined to fail from the beginning. They are the proof that you have a rule from season 1 and you should respect that rule "... teams with a pre-existing relationship...". I love the way teams were standing behind Phil to say goodbye to Mark&Mallory and even though I'm not fan of Mark&Bopper they totally deserve to comeback next season, they were promised to race together and I would be fine to see them race again on Season 25 as a especial case.

TL,DR:
- Language barrier finding locations and putting the toy car together was nice to see.
- Got excited for Mark&Mallory after the roadblock but it went downhill from there.
- 2nd EP situation worked for both teams and for me as a viewer.
- One sided detour was predictable, althuogh it made it exciting to see all the teams doing the same task at the same time.
- Boring Pitstop. But it allowed for a foot race to the mat.
- Mark&Mallory are the reason why "...teams with a pre-existing relationship..." is a rule that should not be broken.
- I would be ok with Mark&Bopper comeback to race again in season 25 as a especial case.

Luke has raced in China 7.2 legs (s18 first task on leg 6 included). Almost a full season of China :lol:

Oh My God I'm Dying  :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny:

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE

Luke, I hope you are seeing this! I'm gonna use this as my avatar. THANKS Alenaveda!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster

They can't.

I didn't know about the TAR 13 incident, but in TAR 19 the camera crew saw Kaylani's passport at the Gas Station and said nothing either.  I was under the impression that production couldn't pick up "essential" items that teams drop such as Passports, Money or Clues, but I would have assumed they could get the backpack and keep it away from the team till after the race.

As for the 12 hours, I know the teams are to be "sequestered" and kept away from anyone but their partners, etc.. but again I thought they may have made an exception for Mark to go and get his Backpack. 

The first option of getting a crew member to get the backpack is the probably the most likely outcome if they were to retrieve the pack, but I still can't help but think that Mark made the wrong decision to go back for it? Although I do understand why he went back.
Refer to season 13 when Dandrew left their shoes behind at the cow task in Almaty. Once they finish the leg, teams are not allowed to backtrack.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
Or in TAR 16, Steve and Allie refused to back track to get their bags and won the leg.

A dinner on the beach on Praslin, Seychelles, massages, all the 7-Up the team could drink (at the Pit Stop), and $7,000 for each team member

They didn't get to go back either.

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
So many comments on Mark & Mallory. :lol: I'm pretty sure TAR is seeing this. I think we won't have another hybrid team for all-stars, although I'm not against hybrid teams. :)

Offline cbacbacba1

• RFF Frantic Poster

by the way , the following clip from episode 2 actually showed Hong Kong instead of Guangzhou !
What a big mistake......