Author Topic: TAR 22 Ep 6 East Coast SHOW updates and commentary **Please read the rules**  (Read 22321 times)

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
I am very proud to be teaming up with the TAR 22 racers!

Touched by the people of Botswana, TAR 22 is giving back! LoveBotswana has a 25 yr history of working to reduce the spread of HIV, help abandoned babies, educate future leaders, and empower women and caregivers. If you can, please donate & share this message! $10 (one latte, lol?) will support full care for one child for 24 hours! The world is smaller than you think, let's all help our neighbors! #LoveBotswana
http://lovebotswana.org/ways-to-donate/Donate-Resources
http://lovebotswana.org/

Asking ALL Of you to please FB post this and TWEET the one below...

Together we can all make an AMAZING difference!

Message to Tweet:

Touched by Botswana, TAR22 teams are giving back! #LoveBotswana has 25yr history of helping. Pls RT & donate! http://bit.ly/16aRbFz

:hrt: :hrt: :hrt: :hrt: :hrt:
I would love to make an amazing donation to help Botswana out! One of the most beautiful countries in the southern portion of Africa.
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Please do!! :tu
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
Last time on The Amazing Race... 8 teams race on to Hanoi, Vietnam!

Father and son made the decision to quit the race and say goodbye.

5 teams set their minds to U-TURN Joey and Meghan and Mona and Beth.

Joey and Meghan and Chuck and Wynona survived the raceeeeee!

7 teams remain, who will be eliminated next.

Wynona: MR KNOW IT ALL. THIS SHOULD BE THE EPISODE QUOTE RIGHT? LOL

Offline jostor

• RFF Not So Newbie
I guess it wasn't too hard to call that it was a non-elimation, but that's more or less the only thing I got right in my prediction about placements.... Looking forward to the next leg.

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
They didn't have to do much in the scorpion task.  The fire making was the main highlight as far as the race tension.  A weakness of wilderness area legs is that they rarely seem to have any navigation.  Though I remember in classic earlier seasons they still had them driving to find route markers in the desert.  It always felt like a non-elimination, and that combined with the shortness of the leg in Africa made it an average kind of episode.  The leg seemed more about getting responses for the camera (in reaction to the scorpion, getting caught in the trap) than anything else.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
This is Vietnam... this National History Museum is the start of the 6th leg of the race.

Pam and Winnie will depart first at 1040pm.

Teams must fly 6000 miles to MAUN, BOTSWANA!

Teams must sign up for one of three flights!

Max and Katie: 11.34pm, WHAT? Pam and Winnie owned the last leg!

Katie: I am smart and I have a DR.

Mona and Beth: 11.37pm. (why such a big difference?)

Mona and Beth: We are great at everything~

Bates and Anthony: 11.39pm.

Bates or Anthony: I think we are going to KENYA. ;LOL.

Country Singers: 1146PM. WE REALLY REALLY WANT TO GO TO AFRICA. They think it's KENYA too.

Pamela and Winnie: GOING TO BOTSWANA (Leaving at 1045AM!!!)

Max and Katie at the TRAVEL AGENT. Same thing as Pamela and Winnie.

Mona and Beth, don't know where they are. Caroline and Jennifer: OMG, MAX AND KATIE TOLD THEM. SO NICE OF THEM. SHOCKER!

Bates and Anthony tell the boys is BOTSWANA. LOL.

Joey and Meghan (12.47AM): WE ARE THE MOST POPULAR PEOPLE. -_-

Chuck and Wynona: 3.26AM. (Oh gosh, they took at least 3 hours???)
This is the 3rd leg in a row we have left in last place.

THEY ARE ALL GOING THE SAME FLIGHT. MAUN: Australia, Turkey, Bangladesh... Republic of Paraguay...

CHUCK: BOTSWANA. OMG. WHERE DID THAT COME FROM LOL.

Wynona: We found out Joey and Meghan U-TURNed us...

Pamela and Winnie: Consider a compliment that we U-TURNed you.

Chuck and Wynona: WE CAN'T AFFORD TO BE ON THE THIRD FLIGHT.

They are getting to Maun through a connection in HONG KONG and JHB.

Caroline and Jennifer and Bates and Anthony 9AM FLIGHT.
MAX AND KATIE 9.15AM. JOEY AND MEGHAN 9.15AM.
MONA AND BETH, CHUCK AND WYNONA AND PAMELA AND WINNIE ON THE LAST FLIGHT... WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT?

Chuck and Wynona always on the last flight. They feel that they are getting in trouble again.

CAROLINE AND JENNIFER in first place on first flight is SHOCKER. LOL.

The girls and Bates and Anthony hitting it up. -_- *rolleyes*

Omg the flight is so cool! All the animals in the safari and everything.

Joey and Meghan and Max and Katie on the same plane. Max and Katie hates Joey and Meghan LOL.

Chuck and Wynona, this is where the lion king was made. SO CUTE. <3

Caroline and Jennifer: CURRENTLY IN 1ST PLACE AGAIN. OMG -_-

Boys and Country girls working together!

2nd flight gets in!
Joey and Meghan 3rd, Max and Katie 4th.

Katie: There should be a marked path.

FIRST AT ROADBLOCK: BATES AND ANTHONY.

ROADBLOCK: SEARCH FOR SCORPION. OMG. DIG FOR SCORPION.

There is a lion over there. OMG. And Caroline/Jennifer doesn't care. Pamela and Winnie with first CURRENTLY IN LAST PLACE.

Joey and Meghan to reach ROADBLOCK THIRD. Max and Katie FOURTH.

Max and Katie: These guys were actors, they were the real deals.

Joey: I don't want to touch it. I don't want to touch it.

Bates and Anthony: I don't being pinch by the country singers.

Caroline/Jen not finding a scorpion.

Mona and Beth 5th to reach RB. Chuck and Wynona 6TH, Pamela and Winnie, 7TH. Wynona is finally doing THE ROADBLOCK.

Mona and Beth's bush man are good. They found IT even before Max! Max is shocked. LOL.

Joey completely freaking out. LOL. "I have to touch that thing?"
Bushman: He's our friend so we are cleaning it.

Bates and Anthony singing to the bush man. Currently still in first place at the DETOUR.

DETOUR: FIRE OR FOWL
Fire: Walk to nearby campside, AKA SURVIVOR TASK.
Fowl: Hunting with bushman to catch a fowl. Okay, I think Fowl is easier. Building a fire is not easy! LOL

Caroline and Jennifer enjoying their time with the bushman too! They are doing fire too!

ROADBLOCK FINISH POSITION:
Bates and Anthony
Caroline/Jennifer (STRONG GIRLS)
Mona and Beth
Max and Katie
Pamela and Winnie
Chuck and Wynona (LAST PLACE)

Joey says the quote this episode.

Max and Katie 3rd to Detour, Moms in 4th at Detour.
Katie: My God, They Stink. Bad KATIE BAD KATIE.

Bates and Anthony are done with Detour in 1ST PLACE.

Teams must make their way to the pitstop, Meno A Kwena Safari Camp!

Mona and Beth and Max and Katie are both at FIRE.

Joey and Meghan are FIRING TOO.

Bates and Anthony obviously in first place. If all of you didn't expect it, you all must see more screenshots!

Bates and Anthony: Our body odour is getting stronger.

Joey: JUMP ROPE. I wished that was a challenge, I'll do so good at it.

Mona and Beth struggling with Detour too. I THINK THIS MIGHT BE A FOOT RACE? ANYONE?

Pam and Winnie: We are smuggling bush man.

Pamela and Winnie: We watch alot of TV and we are very prepared. Fowl too!

Chuck and Wynona: FOWL?? FOWL?? OMG. This might be exciting to watch. So many teams all at once!

Caroline and Jennifer: Switching Detour?
Chuck and Wynona: Tie and barely behind Pamela and Winnie.

Caroline and Jennifer SWITCHING!!! Joey and Meghan and Mona and Beth SWITCHING! WHATTTTTTTTTTTT?

Chuck is OWNING THE DETOUR!

OMG. THE DETOUR IS OBVIOUSLY EASIER. PAMELA AND WINNIE IN 2ND WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT.

Max and Katie are in trouble, they can't get fire... WHAT?

Max and Katie switching too. WHAT?

CHUCK AND WYNONA MIGHT NOT BE IN LAST PLACE WHATTTTTTTTT?

PAMELA AND WINNIE, TEAM NUMBER 2. LOL.

Max and Katie are in last placeeeee!

Chuck and Wynona are in THIRD PLACE. WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT?

Caroline and Jennifer VS Mona and Beth VS Max and Katie VS Joey and Meghan

WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT?

CHUCK AND WYNONA, 3RD WHATTTTTTTTTTT? <3333333333

JOEY AND MEGHAN ARE NOT IN LAST WHATTTTTTTTTTT?

WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT?

CAROLINE AND JENNIFER ARE 5TH AND NOT LAST... WHAT??????????????????

MONA AND BETH VS MAX AND KATIE.

WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT?

Joey and Meghan and team #4.

MAX AND KATIE GOT IT WRONG? OMG. WHATTTTTTTTTTTT?

MONA AND BETH STRUGGLING.

CAROLINE AND JENNIFER TEAM #5.

The bushman like CAROLINE AND JENNIFER. LOL.

MONA AND BETH GOT IT. WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTT?

MONA AND BETH ARE 6TH.

MAX AND KATIE ARE DEAD LAST. WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTT?

MONA AND BETH ARE GOING TO DRIVE... WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT?

WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT?

WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT?

WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT?

MONA AND BETH??????????????????

WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT?

MONA AND BETH VS MAX AND KATIE WHAT?

Mona and Beth is Team #6.

MAX AND KATIE ARE THE LAST TEAM TO ARRIVE. IT'S A NEL. OMG.

THEY ARE GOING TO FACE A SPEEDBUMP. OMG.

THIS IS NEL <33333333333333333333

Katie: Honey-mooning continuing in AFRICA.

Next week on TAR: Chuck and Wynona fight with one another. It comes down to DONKEYS. JOEY AND MEGHAN VS MAX AND KATIE. WHATTTTTTTTTTTT?

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
BEST EPISODE THIS SEASON

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
Joab loves his WHATTTTTTs apparently. :lol:

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
Joab loves his WHATTTTTTs apparently. :lol:

I was just shocked. LAST 15 MINUTES OF THE SHOW = WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT?

Out of no where the last 2 teams checked in 2nd and 3rd and the 4 teams all swopped Detour, out of no where Max and Katie and Mona and Beth who completed RB in 3rd and 4th were in last place.

AND AS IF IT'S NOT ENOUGH... The editor tries to throw us off by showing those comments about Mona and Beth wanting to drive to the pitstop.

AND THEN MAX AND KATIE COMPLETED THEIR DETOUR.

AND THEN FOOT RACE.

AND THEN PIT-STOP.

WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT?

Offline paradoxinee

• RFF Frantic Poster
To Joab: Chucky got Botswana from the mobile he borrowed the taxi driver.

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
I don't get why such a big deal was made out of them finding what country it was in the editing, all they had to do was ask a few people.

Overall I think this was one of the weaker in this season.  African legs are often very short now, didn't use to be like that.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
Because it's funny how people don't know Maun is in Botswana? And that this shows how the racers are actually learning stuff while on the race, life experiences and this is not just a competition?

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
Most people in the world won't know where Maun is, but all you do is go on the internet or ask a travel agency and you will find out.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
Joey & Meghan get their tuckets. Chuck & Wynona arrive at the travel agency and they're just guessing countries... Chuck finally gets it right! :lol3:

I just thought that Chuck was naming countries from the visas in their passports. The answers were just so random and he really appeared to be reading from some kind of list.
Matthew 7:15

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
I thought Chuck was on the phone to somebody, Wynona was just reading out a list while he was waiting on someone it looked like.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
I could not figure out how Chuck was selecting countries, but using the voluminous list of visas they started AR22 with is a very logical, but not obvious, prediction. I believe kudos are due to Dr. Rox. Note that Chuck only got it right after using someone's (presumably his taxi driver's) cellphone.

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
I could not figure out how Chuck was selecting countries, but using the voluminous list of visas they started AR22 with is a very logical, but not obvious, prediction. I believe kudos are due to Dr. Rox. Note that Chuck only got it right after using someone's (presumably his taxi driver's) cellphone.
Well, if you pay attention you will notice that Wynona has her passport out in that scene, probably flipping through their visas.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Because it's funny how people don't know Maun is in Botswana? And that this shows how the racers are actually learning stuff while on the race, life experiences and this is not just a competition?
Any historian of Amazing Races knows that those potential water towers cited in one of the threads (maybe it's even earlier in this one) were the water tower or grain elevator (not too likely as why would there be any in an area not known for grain production) shown in Maun in Amazing Race 7 episode 6. The end of that episode was a pit stop in the same Makgadikgali Pans, cited by Phil as the largest salt pans in the world.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
Well, if you pay attention you will notice that Wynona has her passport out in that scene, probably flipping through their visas.

Wynona's approach, although brilliant, would not have yielded the answer.  No visa is required by US passport holders:

Embassy of the Republic of Botswana

Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
Any historian of Amazing Races knows that those potential water towers cited in one of the threads (maybe it's even earlier in this one) were the water tower or grain elevator (not too likely as why would there be any in an area not known for grain production) shown in Maun in Amazing Race 7 episode 6. The end of that episode was a pit stop in the same Makgadikgali Pans, cited by Phil as the largest salt pans in the world.

I saw that the daylight conditions were altered for the clip that had the clouds in question.  Now I need to see if this clip is from Season 7. 

I really do want to find the elusive wabbit water tank  :)
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster

Wynona's approach, although brilliant, would not have yielded the answer.  No visa is required by US passport holders:

Chateau,

Nobody said that Wynona would have found a Botswana visa in her passport. Chuck and Wynona did not find one there for the reason you cited, Chateau: U.S. citizens are permitted stays up to 90 days total within a 12-month periodwithout a visa.

However, what I did say is that chuck's cellphone was the eventual conduit for the needed information on where Maun is to get into the travel agency.

Offline kiki

• RFF Frantic Poster
From this episode we can deduce one thing: None of the racers, except Pam and Winnie, has ever watched Survivor!
All of us reality tv junkies know how difficult is to light a fire.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
Dan, I got what you were trying to say, it's okay.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
From this episode we can deduce one thing: None of the racers, except Pam and Winnie, has ever watched Survivor!
All of us reality tv junkies know how difficult is to light a fire.

And they certainly have not applied for Survivor either!  Every Survivor contestant I have ever talked to learned how to make a fire with sticks before going.  I think the technique used in the detour is tough to do.  Blisters-a-plenty that way.  The split bamboo technique, shown on Survivor, looks much easier.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City

Chateau, personally I think you are completely wrong in your assumption that Wynona did not have a visa for Botswana in her passport. From your link, it is true that US passport holders do not need a visa to enter Botswana, if they enter Botswana as tourists or visitors.

So the question is, do TAR racers enter foreign countries as tourists/visitors? I think not. For many reasons (legal,liability,etc), I suspect they are listed on the books as employees of WRP. It only makes sense.

So now we get to the question of WRP. Does it enter a county as a "tourist organization," such as a tour operator? No, it is a commerical/business operation/venture. As such, the rules governing entering a country are much different than the rules for tourists/visitors. From the main webpage that you listed, commerical filming in Botswana requires a filming permit. One of the questions on that permit is a list of all employees.

Also from that website, for a foreign national to work in Botswana, a "work permit" is required. Guess what??....to get a "work permit" to work in Botswana, you have to fill out a Visa application.

From my own experience as an ex-pat living and working abroad, I know it was always much more complicated for me to get my "papers in order" than for normal tourists. So I will reiterate that it is/was perfectly possible for Wynona to come up with Botswana from her passport. So there is a good question to ask the racers at either TARcon or any other watching party.....did/do they have visas for every country they visit.

One question I have always had about TAR is this. Do they outsource the visa aquisition process to a visa service or do they have an inhouse department that does this. What I mean, does WRP actually have an employee(s) that actually walk the passports to the different consulates or do they pay another company to walk the passports around. Many, but not all, countries will let you mail your passport to their consulate/embassy to get a Visa, but I would think that WRP would actually walk them to the consulate, since they have to get visa for so many people, racers, crew,management. I just can't see an operation that is as big as WRP trusting the mail system.

I certainly could be wrong. 
Matthew 7:15