Author Topic: Leg 1 Designs  (Read 9310 times)

Offline Ryan

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I can climb a damn tree.
Re: Leg 1 Designs
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2014, 11:30:17 AM »
(...)Stop babying teams, especially all-stars, with tasks that don't challenge each skillset during that opening leg (i.e. there should be something with strength, something with navigation, something with intelligence, and something luck related.)
strength: the RB didn't look like it but it was physically demanding
navigation: finding an obscure store with only its name and address as a reference is quite a challenge
intelligence: figuring out a cryptic clue and then figuring out the correct bubbles at the FW counts
luck: the FW

so all in all, it was a fairly balanced leg, if you take out the ferns who spread misinformation. Also, if the leg was sol linear as some claim, then how come the Twinnies fell from being in the first flight to last place? I think the leg looked easy because we got almost no insight on how hard the tasks actually were because most of the time the edit focused on the Twinnies melting down.

True, it wasn't the most unbalanced leg, but in an All-Stars race I expect them to pull out ALL the stops for tasks. Flipping around five times right before you go directly to the pit stop without anything confusing to shuffle the order up? Not really an all-star set of tasks. True, the twinnies have themselves to blame for falling back during the dress shops, but there should have been more ways to shuffle the order - after all, some of these teams have raced TWICE before, potentially even twice in China already. They already have those basic things down, knock the tough teams down a peg with some twists right off the bat.

Not to mention, having difficult tasks (that are still easy for Phil to explain to the camera) make for a much more entertaining season opener.
SNEAKY SNEAKY

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2014, 09:23:46 AM »
The only crazy, screaming premiere I've purely liked is TAR14's visit to Switzerland since nothing was based on luck (maybe travel decisions, but that's always a given), and it balanced Europe's highest bungee jump and the infamous cheese hill in a perfect manner. Editors during pre-HD were significantly better than the ones we have now. The episodes' "high stakes" quality tells it all.

Like TAR3, I'd call this VERY SWISS... or EXTREME SWISS! :lol:
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2014, 10:29:12 PM »
I think it's only the last 2 seasons' 1st legs that are bringing us an awful premiere. :res: Back then I was really excited seeing 12 or 11 teams racing around the 1st leg. I think TAR should make TAR25's 1st leg with:
- A classic format, like when teams finish a task and they get a departure time for the next leg. At least the 1st team eliminated gets to race for more than a day.
- They should have the 1st leg in Africa. I think only TAR1 did this. ???
- Honestly imo, I wanna see all 12 or 11 teams racing the 2nd leg, but this one depends on budget.
- More exciting tasks on the 1st leg? I think that's not hard for TAR to do.

I definitely missed out some things here.
I think I should post this on "Changes Viewers Want to See" thread, but this is specifically talking about the 1st leg.

Offline SamualDude

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • YES.YES.YES
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2014, 10:49:30 PM »
I think it's only the last 2 seasons' 1st legs that are bringing us an awful premiere. :res: Back then I was really excited seeing 12 or 11 teams racing around the 1st leg. I think TAR should make TAR25's 1st leg with:
- A classic format, like when teams finish a task and they get a departure time for the next leg. At least the 1st team eliminated gets to race for more than a day.
- They should have the 1st leg in Africa. I think only TAR1 did this. ???
- Honestly imo, I wanna see all 12 or 11 teams racing the 2nd leg, but this one depends on budget.
- More exciting tasks on the 1st leg? I think that's not hard for TAR to do.

I definitely missed out some things here.
I think I should post this on "Changes Viewers Want to See" thread, but this is specifically talking about the 1st leg.

THIS! All of this! We had such good first legs back in the day, TAR 7 in Peru and in my opinion an underrated first leg in TAR 6 Iceland.
It's Clobbering Time!