Author Topic: Mel Greig from TARAUS 1 involved in the tragic Royal family radio prank  (Read 39690 times)

Offline RichInSydney

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
Mel Greig who raced with her sister Alana in series 1 of TAR Australia was one of the DJs involved in the now tragic prank call on Australian radio to the UK hospital where pregnant Princess Kate was admitted.

This is a really tragic story now that the nurse who answered the call, mistakenly thinking it was the Queen (instead an impersonation by Mel Greig), has now taken her own life.

A lot will be said about the DJs involved but now they will have to live with this for life. Very very tragic.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2244732/Jacintha-Saldanha-death-Australian-DJs-Mel-Greig-Christian-Michael-taken-air-sick-prank.html
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 10:16:49 PM by RichInSydney »
"I wish the world was flat like the old days, and I could travel just by folding a map."

Offline Reilly Queens

• RFF's Game Queen
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • DESTINY
Re: Mel Greig from TARAUS 1 involved in the tragic Royal family radio prank
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 10:10:17 PM »
I heard about this two :cmas18

Offline tarauslover

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 10:32:26 PM »
I heard about this as well but I don't see how she and her co-host should be made accountable when we don't know about the mental history of the nurse that picked up the call...

Offline RichInSydney

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 10:46:39 PM »
I heard about this as well but I don't see how she and her co-host should be made accountable when we don't know about the mental history of the nurse that picked up the call...
There are laws around this and without being a lawyer, the person being called must be made aware they were being recorded and also consent to it being broadcast on public radio. Neither of this looks to have happened. All I can say is that if a normal everyday nurse suddenly makes news headlines due to their mistake at work, I'm sure they may have being contributing factor.

Not saying the DJs did anything wrong, Im sure they would have some producer and a team at the radio station who plan these type of things.
"I wish the world was flat like the old days, and I could travel just by folding a map."

Offline tarauslover

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 11:16:17 PM »
There are laws around this and without being a lawyer, the person being called must be made aware they were being recorded and also consent to it being broadcast on public radio. Neither of this looks to have happened. All I can say is that if a normal everyday nurse suddenly makes news headlines due to their mistake at work, I'm sure they may have being contributing factor.

Not saying the DJs did anything wrong, Im sure they would have some producer and a team at the radio station who plan these type of things.

Yeah I agree but it's getting pretty intense, both Mel and the co-host had to deactivate their twitter accounts after receiving so much abuse and death threats!

Offline theamazingracer21

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 12:25:21 AM »
It was a stupid thing that they did but it was stupider that the nurse fell for it (their impersonations were horrable)

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't wanna go to heaven without raising hell. ♥
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 12:39:52 AM »
Sounds like a pretty lame idea for a prank... :cmas30:
I'd rather walk alone than let them throw dirty confetti. ♥

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 12:46:07 AM »
Sounds like a pretty lame idea for a prank... :cmas30:

IKR. They could've done any number of other pranks, really.  :cmas30:

Offline Polaroid

• RFF's TAR Live Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 01:56:52 AM »
Although the prank led to the suicide, I think the real problem is the hospital's security which allowed the call to even go through.

Hm, I'm conflicted about this. :\

Offline amazing race fan

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 11:55:24 AM »
Can someone explain what the prank was about? I will withhold my opinion until I know the full story.

Offline Reilly Queens

• RFF's Game Queen
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • DESTINY
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 12:00:01 PM »
Mel and her DJ friend called the hospital that Kate Middleton was admitted in(she has a bad case of morning sickness) they called claiming to be the Prince & Queen, who wanted to know how she was doing. The nurse cooperated, and after realizing it wasn't them and being shamed about it she took her own life.

Offline amazing race fan

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2012, 03:17:12 PM »
If that is the case, its 100% the nurses fault. If someone is going to take their own life because of a silly little prank, they obviously have far bigger issues than just this situation.

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2012, 03:41:00 PM »
If that is the case, its 100% the nurses fault. If someone is going to take their own life because of a silly little prank, they obviously have far bigger issues than just this situation.
Thats what i was thinking. What if she had a pre existing condistion

Offline Dom

• RFF Timeliner
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2012, 04:42:07 PM »
I'm surprised I haven't heard anything about Mel on here in the last few days.

Where I live, her on-air radio prank is the biggest news story of recent weeks, especially now due its tragic repercussions.

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/12/08/world/europe/uk-royal-hospital-death/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

EDIT: Just noticed an existing topic in the TAR Australia forum. Delete if needed!

Offline topaz

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2012, 07:31:35 PM »
He did?!?  Now he's famous. :cmas3

Offline Aussie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2012, 08:02:24 PM »
It's not their fault at all they didn't know they were gonna get through. I've heard it on the radio and the accents are really bad and theres even corgis barking in the background so you'd have to be pretty stupid to fall for it.

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2012, 08:38:20 PM »
He did?!?  Now he's famous. :cmas3
Are you talking about Mel? Because Mel's a 'she'.

Offline AmazingRace

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yup, we didn't win. Damn.
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2012, 02:15:07 AM »
So tragic.  :cmas4

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2012, 10:59:28 AM »
I did not know it was Mel until I saw this thread. Now I know why she looked so ridiculously familiar.

I thought that prank was stupid and shouldn't even have happened!

Offline BlueNovas

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2012, 08:57:19 PM »

You don't see how they can be held accountable you say? I can, so they can the rest of the world. Let me break it down for you.

She and her co host, as a result of their prank, are directly responsible for this lady, who has kids and a husband commiting suicide. Had they not done this 'prank' the woman would still be alive, and with her family at christmas. Some places are even reporting that they could face extradition on manslaughter charges, and to be honest I hope they do.

Utterly ridiculus thing they did, and some poor woman has lost her life as a result, this is why the world is outraged, and this is why they are calling for blood. Australia is also a commonwealth country and extradition from Australia to England would be a simple process.

What they have done, will make them hate figures for a long long time, regardless of who is a fan of hers because she was on the Amazing Race Australia, she has done something very very wrong.

Pretending to be a Royal like that is also treason to be honest. I don't think this story is over, and I hope the nurse gets justice.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 09:00:50 PM by BlueNovas »

Offline BlueNovas

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2012, 08:59:56 PM »
Double post, website is lagging like crazy for me.

Offline Aussie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2012, 03:19:11 AM »

You don't see how they can be held accountable you say? I can, so they can the rest of the world. Let me break it down for you.

She and her co host, as a result of their prank, are directly responsible for this lady, who has kids and a husband commiting suicide. Had they not done this 'prank' the woman would still be alive, and with her family at christmas. Some places are even reporting that they could face extradition on manslaughter charges, and to be honest I hope they do.

Utterly ridiculus thing they did, and some poor woman has lost her life as a result, this is why the world is outraged, and this is why they are calling for blood. Australia is also a commonwealth country and extradition from Australia to England would be a simple process.

What they have done, will make them hate figures for a long long time, regardless of who is a fan of hers because she was on the Amazing Race Australia, she has done something very very wrong.

Pretending to be a Royal like that is also treason to be honest. I don't think this story is over, and I hope the nurse gets justice.

you joined rff just to post this? sad lol

but anyway its not their fault, people at the radio station tell them what to do.

Offline ovalorange

• RFF Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2012, 05:15:15 AM »
For anyone who's interested, here is an interview with Mel and Michael after hearing the news of the nurse after the prank call.

Just be warned that this video is quite emotional and tough for Mel and Michael. Watch at your own risk.

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2012, 09:42:02 AM »
For anyone who's interested, here is an interview with Mel and Michael after hearing the news of the nurse after the prank call.

Just be warned that this video is quite emotional and tough for Mel and Michael. Watch at your own risk.

Yeah i saw the entreview. It's intense , guys...
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2012, 05:13:37 AM »
the network of station that air the hot 30 countdown have announced that they will give all of their profits (or $500,000 , whichever is more) from now to the end of the year to a charity close to the family. 

Meanwhile Mel and co host Matt also have come out on a number of TV news programs (if you count Today Tonight and A Current Affair news programs) saying " we would have never done it (the call) if it was known that the incident (the woman's unfortunate death) was at all possible"