Author Topic: Trying to finish some races I struggled with before (13,2,4,9,8)  (Read 13200 times)

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
Trying to finish some races I struggled with before (13,2,4,9,8)
« on: December 07, 2012, 09:06:58 AM »
I thought I would have another go at finishing those seasons I didn't quite manage to earlier this year.  I started with season 13 and I did it!

It's not actually as bad as I thought.  The cast isn't that likeable, but I suppose the winners are ok.  The big thing that puts it above a season like the current one is that there are better challenges.  For instance that wooden  bicycle going down hills at that speed just wouldn't be allowed now.  They make everything easier now.  :(  Funny where they got all that powder thrown over them as well, or had to work out the pattern on the maori warriers faces.

Still some things that annoy me and mean I can't have it among my big favourites though.  The romance thing they push is annoying, same in AR3 but that at least had a better cast.  Losing a passport kills any suspense in a leg, so that happening does lessen a season.  Also other teams helping others out and enabling them to survive a leg without them doing so on their own merit irks me.  Dan and Andrew should have been eliminated and the all girl team (reminiscent of the red heads in a later season) should have continued their rivalry with the siblings.  On the positive side we did get some ridiculous footage of them doing the marching task, but I think it was at too big a cost.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 06:40:11 AM by starrynight »

Offline Flamant

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Lumilia <3
Re: I had another go at finishing AR13
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 09:32:50 AM »
I really liked TAR13. I agree that the cast is not the best (but still way better than some recent seasons). I found Dandrew quite fun to watch (I love underdogs), Ken & Tina created some sort of drama, and I really liked Toni & Dallas.

But this season task-wise I think is one of my top five. I simply loved the Indian legs (the first was a night time leg; the second one featuring the powder task - I also loved one side of that leg's Detour where they needed to follow small numbers on power lines). I loved Kazakhstan, and the Russian legs were quite hard.

This season is definitely not on the same level as TAR15/16/21.

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
Re: I had another go at finishing AR13
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 06:37:42 AM »
I really liked TAR13. I agree that the cast is not the best (but still way better than some recent seasons). I found Dandrew quite fun to watch (I love underdogs), Ken & Tina created some sort of drama, and I really liked Toni & Dallas.

But this season task-wise I think is one of my top five. I simply loved the Indian legs (the first was a night time leg; the second one featuring the powder task - I also loved one side of that leg's Detour where they needed to follow small numbers on power lines). I loved Kazakhstan, and the Russian legs were quite hard.

This season is definitely not on the same level as TAR15/16/21.

I like underdogs too, but Dan and Andrew were a bit dull as characters I thought.  I agree on Ken and Tina (mainly for Tina, driven women I often like on the show), and the final two wasn't bad which certainly made me happier about finishing this season.  However I found Dallas rather boring.  One of the parent/child teams that didn't quite work for me.

The end was obviously not that close, as we didn't see the teams near each other after the good memory task.  So despite the editing I thought is was obvious which team would be first, however the memory task had them close and even one team overtaking the other which made it exciting at that stage.

Having a go at AR4.  The boot order is frustrating.   Reichen and Chip bore me, they picked a detour that was quicker so were lucky to beat out Tian Jaree, then they luck out on getting lost but being on track to the fast forward and so beat out another team Millie Chuck who I was hoping would get to the final.  The route is good but might have a lack of memorable tasks.  The non-elimination legs turned out to be on the wrong legs for me.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 07:09:29 AM by starrynight »

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't wanna go to heaven without raising hell. ♥
Re: Trying to finish some races I struggled with before (13,2,4,9,8)
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 07:37:10 AM »
Well at the time of watching TAR13, I thought it was the most horrible thing to ever happen to the world. But now, several years later, it is about a million times better than the current seasons. :cmaslol In fact, only 15, 17 and 18 were better than 13 (of the seasons that came after it) in my opinion.
I'd rather walk alone than let them throw dirty confetti. ♥

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 09:49:21 AM »
Well I've finished 4 and I definitely think 13 is better.  The winners of 4 are pretty boring to me, and it brings up an annoyance for me about the show, the use of contestants for some kind of social message.  In this case it was using them as a representative of gay people.  It's an entertainment show, I don't want moralising.  But it's the kind of things you get in American shows I guess.

Otherwise I thought they destroyed the suspense by saying 'will be eliminated' in so many legs instead of 'may be'.  They tried to create suspense in a leg by not showing a time penalty (on the winners) ticking down and showing another team on the mat instead of them (making us think Chip and Reichen might have been eliminated).

The present season is probably inferior even to season 4 as that had self-driving and more good locations.  Other recent seasons though have in my opinion been pretty good, including 20.

Offline amazing race fan

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 11:44:20 AM »
I thought I would have another go at finishing those seasons I didn't quite manage to earlier this year.  I started with season 13 and I did it!

It's not actually as bad as I thought.  The cast isn't that likeable, but I suppose the winners are ok.  The big thing that puts it above a season like the current one is that there are better challenges.  For instance that wooden  bicycle going down hills at that speed just wouldn't be allowed now.  They make everything easier now.  :(  Funny where they got all that powder thrown over them as well, or had to work out the pattern on the maori warriers faces.

Still some things that annoy me and mean I can't have it among my big favourites though.  The romance thing they push is annoying, same in AR3 but that at least had a better cast.  Losing a passport kills any suspense in a leg, so that happening does lessen a season.  Also other teams helping others out and enabling them to survive a leg without them doing so on their own merit irks me.  Dan and Andrew should have been eliminated and the all girl team (reminiscent of the red heads in a later season) should have continued their rivalry with the siblings.  On the positive side we did get some ridiculous footage of them doing the marching task, but I think it was at too big a cost.

Here is my opinion.

4: Kind of boring. Nothing really excited happened, I would put it off even further.

13: Another boring season, put that off as well.

9: My favorite season. If you like hostility between teams, the last five or so legs of Season 9 are epic. Its a must watch.

2: I liked Season 2. Very underrated Season.

8: Didn't even bother watching. The only season I didn't and will not watch.

Watch Season 9 though, it is epic.

addie

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 12:25:55 PM »
Uhm Season 4 was epic cus it had Kelly & Jon. #js

Offline Reilly Queens

• RFF's Game Queen
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • DESTINY
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 12:35:32 PM »
Season 8 <3 Weavers <3333 Linz <33333 Bransens <333333 GAGHANS <3333

jealous people will be jealous of that season.

Offline couchracer

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 12:52:17 PM »
I thought the Linz's were kind of creepy. The Bransen's were kind of boring. The Weaver's were somewhat depressing. The Gaghan's were neat and I wish the Black's had been in it longer. The Paolo's were at times entertaining and at others irritating

Offline kiki

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 12:58:17 PM »
TAR 13 might not have been as good as the previous seasons but location and task wise was quite good. At least a lot better than the most recent seasons.

TAR 4. I hate Chip and Reichen. I wanted Jon and Kelly to win so I'm biased.

TAR 8. I only watched because it was TAR, otherwise it sucked! It's not worth wasting your time, unless you want to find someone to hate (Weavers)

TAR 9 for me was great. I loved the locations and the rivalry between the top teams.

TAR 2. How can you have not seen TAR 2? Go watch it right now! The ChaCha team, Tara and Will bickering, the original Fern. I love this season.

Offline Oddarane

• RFF Full Member
  • Scandinavian Minister for the Amazing Race
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 03:25:00 PM »
TAR 2 is one of the most underrated seasons IMO, I really liked it.

TAR 8 is the worst season, but some of the families that were racing made it kind of interesting watching anyway
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 03:31:49 PM by Oddarane »
\\\\\\\"The world is waiting for you. Good luck - travel safe - GO! - Phil Keoghan

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2012, 11:27:14 PM »
Looking at 9 and BJ and Tyler are just way too much, really over the top in your face simple humour.  Another team just goes on about girls in every episode which is a bit boring.  The mother and daughter team or the all girl team (eliminated due to a yield and not getting passed on the statue task just because the pieces weren't fully in?) mean the race might end up lacking variety.

Offline amazing race fan

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2012, 11:48:13 PM »
Looking at 9 and BJ and Tyler are just way too much, really over the top in your face simple humour.  Another team just goes on about girls in every episode which is a bit boring.  The mother and daughter team or the all girl team (eliminated due to a yield and not getting passed on the statue task just because the pieces weren't fully in?) mean the race might end up lacking variety.

Trust me, continue watching Season 9. I thought the beginning was pretty boring also, it ended up being the most interesting season of the Amazing Race.

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2012, 02:10:15 AM »
No, if you think how starrynight does about the first half (which in my opinion is the better half) it only gets worse. Much worse. Out of the Final 5, Ray & Yolanda and Joseph & Monica are the only teams who aren't unbearable.

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2012, 07:58:40 AM »
TAR 4. I hate Chip and Reichen. I wanted Jon and Kelly to win so I'm biased.

TAR 2. How can you have not seen TAR 2? Go watch it right now! The ChaCha team, Tara and Will bickering, the original Fern. I love this season.

Of the final teams in 4 I would have preferred Jon and Kelly to win, though I think I preferred Millie and Chuck more.

But Will is an asshole?  Never understood the popularity of 'ChaChaCha', they might have less personality than even the cowboys.  I guess they got support as people knew they would do well and have a chance to win and/or they weren't as hateable as many of the other unlikeable teams in that season.  So many of the teams make arrogant comments in the interviews, saying they know this and that.

And still with 2... one leg the teams knew it was a non-elimination just by reading the clue.  And the next leg the girls just give up again killing all suspense.  Some processional tasks as well.

With BJ and Tyler it was good when they pretended teams had to sign up for an early morning task by writing out pretend instructions.  But all the prancing around is just trying too hard, and just too loud all the time.  Brook was lively, but Claire was different as well so more of a contrast. Bopper was probably preferable as well, though that team wasn't a big favourite of mine.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 08:19:02 AM by starrynight »

Offline amazing race fan

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2012, 11:01:33 AM »
No, if you think how starrynight does about the first half (which in my opinion is the better half) it only gets worse. Much worse. Out of the Final 5, Ray & Yolanda and Joseph & Monica are the only teams who aren't unbearable.

Maybe I am different, but the team I am rooting for doesn't have to win for me to enjoy a season. I just found the drama and hostility between the teams to be very interesting.

I would rather watch an interesting season with a winner I didn't like than having my favorite team breeze through the season with 8 first place finishes in legs.

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2012, 03:22:19 PM »
Liking the winner isn't everything I suppose, but it does help if you at least like some teams towards the end, and at least one in the final.

Finished season 2.  I was rooting for Blake and Paige by the end.  They finally got some coverage in the outback episode (which had decent tasks).  The race became more enjoyable then as there was someone to root for.  The producers kept pushing the whole relationship thing with Will and his ex, and really I got bored of it.  Of the final 3 the winners probably got the least coverage and so it was hard to get excited about them winning.  Overall this season was about navigation and much of it self-navigation (which is great).  But I wish there were more difficult tasks at times.  Also a frequent weakness of the race for me are the FFs, they are often so easy to do.  It would be more interesting if they were not such a foregone conclusion that the first team there wins it or can complete it.

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2012, 04:08:03 PM »
The Fast Forwards are supposed to easy. They were pretty much a free pass for to the Pit Stop that could only be used once. Competition wise, I think Season 3 did the best, while still having most of them simple.

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2012, 05:20:49 PM »
Maybe when they had them in every leg it was more just a tactical thing, though some definitely wasted it when they didn't really need to use it.  Now though it is available only a few times and so needs to be tough I think.

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2012, 07:14:32 PM »

Never understood the popularity of 'ChaChaCha', they might have less personality than even the cowboys.  I guess they got support as people knew they would do well and have a chance to win and/or they weren't as hateable as many of the other unlikeable teams in that season.  So many of the teams make arrogant comments in the interviews, saying they know this and that.

Oswald & Danny were the wheelbarrow of TAR2; they carried that season. 

There are entire casts that can't equal the charm, flair, and charisma of Oswald & Danny's toe jam. 

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2012, 09:46:02 PM »
I wasn't really a fan of Oswald & Danny in TAR2. They're a lot better in All-Stars if you plan on watching that.

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't wanna go to heaven without raising hell. ♥
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2012, 12:48:49 AM »
I also hated Reichen & Chip. I absolutely loved Kelly/Jon, David/Jeff, Millie/Chuck, Tian/Jaree and Monica/Sheree, so I really wish one of them would have won and made that season a lot better. I really like the first five legs of TAR4 with some amazing location choices there, and even the Malaysian legs and especially the South Korean leg were amazing for me. I did not enjoy India (besides the bull hanging on thing) or Australia or the finale.

Looking back at the first four seasons, it is very suspenseless to have "will be eliminated" every time, but back then, we didn't know any better I suppose! :cmaslol

As for Oswald & Danny - without doubt my favourite male/male team of all time! :cmas9
I'd rather walk alone than let them throw dirty confetti. ♥

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2012, 10:04:41 AM »
Oswald and Danny didn't make me laugh at all, and seemed to be as arrogant as others on the race.

Season 9  - ugh, annoyed Monica and Joseph didn't make the final.  I was kind of expecting it with the fun edit BJ and Tyler get and how they always edit to Monica looking angry.  That's the only team worth rooting for at the end for me, so the final is a bit of a non-event.  Ray and Yolanda bore me, no real conection with the main theme of the season which was really about the other 3 teams in the final 4.  The old couple were ok but they did well getting as far as they did.  BJ and Tyler seemed a bit over the top with their games against Monica and Joseph.  The rivalry was still fun in a way but getting cut short before the final is a letdown.  The hippies obviously lucked out themselves being last in 2 non-elimination legs.  I found it a bit annoying how they always called themselves the nice guys.

Offline Theo

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • 2020 mood
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2012, 10:08:47 AM »
Fran & Barry is the only reason why I like Season 9. I always love older couple team who made it far
TAR Jeopardy Revival: here

Offline Genius

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2012, 11:38:26 AM »
Maybe it is just me, but I found TAR4 to be quite boring in general, and I became just slightly less interested in TAR at that point. It also made me worry that it would never return as a result, but thankfully they won the Emmy.