Author Topic: CBS vs. ABC Lawsuit: The Glass House  (Read 12219 times)

Offline ugot2bekidinmeny

• RFF's Goodwill Ambassador
  • I Live at RFF
  • No more wire hangers EVER!
Re: CBS vs. ABC Lawsuit: The Glass House
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2012, 05:44:38 PM »
so far the judge has declined the TRO  against ABC.
zero, zilch, nada, nothing!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2012, 10:07:02 PM »
Too bad. :lol3:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline HurricaneHowieWood

• Big Brother Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • Reality TV! Pick your poison!
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2012, 10:40:12 PM »
Like Us On FB: Reality Fan Forum

• Big Brother Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2012, 04:47:29 PM »
Judge details reasons for not blocking ABC show

By ANTHONY McCARTNEY | Associated Press – 2 hrs 36 mins ago

LOS ANGELES (AP) — CBS is unlikely to succeed in its efforts to win copyright infringement claims over rival network ABC's new show "The Glass House," a federal judge said Friday.

U.S. District Judge Gary Feesshas refused to block "Glass House," which premiered Monday, and detailed his reasons in a 16-page ruling released Friday.

CBS wants to stop the show from airing, arguing it violates copyrights and trade secrets from its series "Big Brother."

Feess, however, noted the unpredictable nature of reality television and said the genre does not generally include plot or other expressions of ideas that are subject to copyright protection. Ideas alone cannot be protected by copyright, and courts must consider how the ideas are expressed when disputes arise.

Both shows employ dozens of cameras to check in on a houseful of contestants vying for a cash prize, but Feess ruled the shows are likely to play out very differently.

"Until the cameras begin to record, there is no plot, there is no (dialogue), there is no pace or sequence of events, and there are no fixed characters because there is no author," his ruling stated. "There is a setting, which is hardly novel, and some general ideas regarding the structure of the show, but little else."

"'Reality,' it turns out, is hard to copy," Feess wrote.

The ruling is unlikely to end the fight between the two networks. CBS says it will continue to pursue the case and is seeking additional evidence from ABC and "Glass House" producers.

"This is only one preliminary step in a long road; we will now aggressively move two steps forward," CBS wrote in a statement. The network has argued that nearly 30 former "Big Brother" staffers are now working on "Glass House" and some may have violated confidentiality agreements.

Feess agreed with ABC attorneys who argued that many of the filming techniques employed on "Glass House" are not unique to "Big Brother" and are used in other reality shows.

"We're pleased the Court agreed with ABC's arguments that The Glass House is a very different show and people working in the reality television industry should not be prevented from bringing their skills to a new employer," ABC wrote in a statement. "We are thrilled viewers will now get a chance to continue to enjoy and participate in ABC's The Glass House."

The rivalry between the two networks hasn't just been confined to the courtroom or airwaves. CBS on Wednesday issued a tongue-in-cheek news release claiming it's developing a reality series called "Dancing on the Stars" — a jab at ABC's "Dancing With the Stars."

CBS described the mock series — staged in the Hollywood Forever Cemetery — as featuring "moderately famous and sort of well-known people" who will compete by dancing on stars' graves.

http://news.yahoo.com/judge-details-reasons-not-blocking-abc-show-184421872.html

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2012, 10:05:08 PM »
I really find it silly that ABC hasn't pulled out one of the most important rules in copyright: "you can't copyright the rules for a game"
The only thing they can do is protect their specific features by trademark suck as "Power of Veto" and "Head of Household", methods themselves are not protectable in the case of competitions.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

• Big Brother Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2012, 05:20:53 PM »
CBS Has Dropped It's Lawsuit over "The Glass House" citing low viewership....

Read the full story here:  http://news.yahoo.com/cbs-drops-suit-against-abc-over-glass-house-191743730.html

Offline Mug Costanza

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2012, 06:24:59 PM »
"The viewers have spoken and delivered the ultimate form of justice against 'The Glass House,'" CBS wrote in a statement released Friday.

:lol3:
"I defy you to come up with a better name than Seven!"
"Alright... how 'bout Mug? Mug Costanza!"

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2012, 10:15:40 AM »
It's sad... I think only one Big Brother can exist in the world of RTV. Same with TAR, Treasure Hunters... didn't make it too.

Offline bcp19

• RFF Full Member
  • TAR/Surv/BB/?? junkie ;)
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2012, 01:46:49 PM »
It's sad... I think only one Big Brother can exist in the world of RTV. Same with TAR, Treasure Hunters... didn't make it too.
I think you can have more than one, but the people producing it have to be willing to take chances.  This is where the Glass House fell short.  They did not incorporate REAL live feeds.  Having the show only once a week? Boring.  Scribble on the walls? Boring.  Few of the 'tasks' were interesting.  ABC is like a football team that gets the ball and then starts walking to the goal line with this show.  Not enough effort = no touchdown.