Author Topic: EP 7 East Coast SHOW updates and commentary **please read the rules**  (Read 44803 times)

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: EP 7 East Coast SHOW updates and commentary **please read the rules**
« Reply #225 on: November 06, 2011, 08:36:26 PM »
This seems an odd choice for a U-Turn position if we are having one next leg as well? ???

There was NO hope for anyone correctly U-Turned to catch up....
I think it was meant for a true double U-Turn, so that two teams were racing neck and neck like Brooke & Claire vs. Chad and Stephanie
Good point, but I still hate, hate, hate it.  Makes me seriously not want to watch TAR.

NoluckBoston

« Reply #226 on: November 06, 2011, 08:37:50 PM »
I prefer the double U-tun over the single. At least, unlike before with a single U-turn, you have a chance.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #227 on: November 06, 2011, 08:39:42 PM »
Andy and Tommy <3
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #228 on: November 06, 2011, 08:40:17 PM »
I think ANdy & Tommy would have survived a U-Turn here, based on their lead.  But for teams #4 to 7 yeah a U-Turn would have killed them.

THis is getting to be a habit with production.  U-Turns shouldn't be at the end of a leg.

Take All Stars, now of course we all knew who was going to last for the final three (and win for that matter), but that Macau leg, where Eric & Danielle start over thirty minutes after everyone, get Yielded, and still manage to get to the Matt in 2nd place before they have to wait out a 30 minute penalty from the last leg.  HAving the Yield at the beginning gives the editors this great build, this race internal of the larger race.

Putting crap at the end with little chance to overcome, is just really, really wrong.
SOme people just hate the idea of using something to impair another team, we have had several racing teams that have chosen not to use a yield for this very reason even when teams are neck and neck.

I actually respect that.

In most sports or contests (even mental contests) you are out to win, but you don't actively seek to trip up another player (in fact in most things its against rules).  So I can certainly understand why people would not want to use them.

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #229 on: November 06, 2011, 08:40:53 PM »
Andy and Tommy <3
What does that mean?  ANdy and Tommy are less then three?

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #230 on: November 06, 2011, 08:41:12 PM »
mswood, the Yield has always been 15mins I think.

That was why all of us believed the Roadblock came first.. we didn't expect the producers to throw a U-TURN at the end. BUT, they did warn the teams from the very beginning. That was probably why everyone raced so quickly and in an angsty mood today.

And... if Bill and Cathi continue to race like this. They seriously have a chance. I mean it!! :hearts:

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #231 on: November 06, 2011, 08:42:20 PM »
I prefer the double U-tun over the single. At least, unlike before with a single U-turn, you have a chance.
While I am outspoken on my hatred for racers having tools to hurt other teams, if it's an evil on the show, I do prefer having to teams against each other.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #232 on: November 06, 2011, 08:42:32 PM »
Ernie & Cindy better not use it on Bill & Cathi...

Seriously the best older racing team ever (do the Guidos count as older, certainly for All Stars, but season 1??).

And sure some how won legs, and some have gone further.  But this older team rocks.  And like Andy & Tommy, we haven't seen them mad, haven't seen them get angry, and they treat locals, each other and other racers great.

I love teams that do that.

I couldn't agree more. Love those two teams <333.

And I love how besides all that Andy and Tommy showed the aggressiveness it takes to win on that footrace. If you aren't going to race like that you don't need to come on TAR. Their combination of drive and love for the locations and the game is really cool.

And I hate the roadblock coming first on a U-turn leg. It's really dumb.

Offline greenspam

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #233 on: November 06, 2011, 08:43:08 PM »
Why don't teams uturn others more often!!!  Ernie & Cindy should have used the u-turn on tommy and andy for reasons:

1) To ensure their first place finish
2) To trip up on a strong competition.

Like a previous contestant once said, "this is the amazing race, not the amazing friends!"

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #234 on: November 06, 2011, 08:44:09 PM »
Maybe they were informed that there would be two in the Race and decided to save their chance for the next time.

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #235 on: November 06, 2011, 08:46:16 PM »
Joab

We have heard different times from racers for the Yield from as little as 15 minutes to as much as half an hour.

I don't know if production has ever clarified.

And I too would love, love to see Bill & Cathi race to the end.  Andy & Tommy and Bill & Cathi are my favorite current teams, as how they race, and the attitude the keep is in general been the best out of the teams we have seen so far.

And to think when I start the season I plot out just off the interviews where I think teams will place.  Bill & Cathi were my 2nd team eliminated.

So I love, love being proven wrong.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #236 on: November 06, 2011, 08:48:02 PM »
mswood, I guess Andy and Tommy is much hated because they snap up all the wins from the other teams, who have their own supporters. But Andy and Tommy do have their fair share of fans too. *points to Prophet and you* :neener:

I like them for being cool, completely loving the locations and everything else.. but I just didn't like how they win almost every leg. It made the race very boring for me and uninteresting, IMO. At least they're WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY better than BJ and Tyler, who're ANNOYING. They're not annoying at least... but I wished they would have won less legs... but at the same time, it's NOT their fault for finishing first. It's the other team's fault for coming in first and not doing something properly. I WISHED Justin and Jenn won last leg before getting eliminated. That would come completely as a surprise for viewers... I basically dislike them for beating my favourite teams, that's all. It's like football. You don't root for another team because you're already a fan of one team. If the other team beat your team, you'll dislike the fact.

And... Ma and Pa are getting less edit this leg. </////////////////3

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #237 on: November 06, 2011, 08:48:55 PM »
Maybe they were informed that there would be two in the Race and decided to save their chance for the next time.
Some people will not use it just to get a leg win.  Several racers have out and out spoken off the "Karma" biting them in the ass later.

And here, with them knowing that ANdy & Tommy are strong and significantly ahead of others, I don't think they could have taking them out of the race. 

Nor do I think it would have taken Andy & Tommy out of the race, as the other detour seem not to take a lot of time (in comparison for most teams).

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #238 on: November 06, 2011, 08:51:09 PM »
Some people will not use it just to get a leg win.  Several racers have out and out spoken off the "Karma" biting them in the ass later.

And here, with them knowing that ANdy & Tommy are strong and significantly ahead of others, I don't think they could have taking them out of the race. 

Nor do I think it would have taken Andy & Tommy out of the race, as the other detour seem not to take a lot of time (in comparison for most teams).

I think if Ernie and Cindy used the U-TURN today, they would have won the leg and 15k. BUT they would also be receiving targets on their back from Andie and Tommy throughout the rest of the race, who're apparently STRONGER than them. Good choice I say. It's just not meant to be for them. I already said it, they deserve not to win this leg for wasting time to find the Double U-TURN.. they didn't read the clue properly which instructed them that the U-TURN was IN the village. They went quite far out.

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #239 on: November 06, 2011, 08:56:23 PM »
Joab

Well I know some people generally don't like all male teams, specifically fit athletic all male teams.  But it's been a while since a fit athletic male team as won the race (Season 10), the only other all male team to win since them were two skinny not athletic guys.

And I know that they have 5 wins under their belt, but really they aren't Eric & Jeremy who at episode 7 had 5 episodes they finished first in.  All but one (the Fast Forward leg) was because they kicked the crap out of other teams.  Not because teams (n some cases a lot of teams screwed up).

And while I understand your sports analogy more people seem to want Andy & Tommy gone then the other teams.

Really so far, I like almost everyone (I haven't actually disliked any teams so far this season).  Even the "conflict" teams have been fairly mild.  And we have yet to see any real team against team fighting.  So far is this the nicest bunch at episode 7?

Offline greenspam

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #240 on: November 06, 2011, 08:57:13 PM »
Ernie & Cindy absolutely wasted their express pass!  I have no idea why!  Why do teams waste their express pass so easily - express pass is the most valuable thing in your arsenal!!!!

NoluckBoston

« Reply #241 on: November 06, 2011, 09:00:58 PM »
Well Green,
It looked like the Jamaica shop was hard to find, and they would not have known that. Where they did waste the express pass was not U-turning the boys.

Offline greenspam

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #242 on: November 06, 2011, 09:02:03 PM »
Andy and Tommy <3
What does that mean?  ANdy and Tommy are less then three?

<3 means "heart"

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #243 on: November 06, 2011, 09:07:05 PM »
Joab

Well I know some people generally don't like all male teams, specifically fit athletic all male teams.  But it's been a while since a fit athletic male team as won the race (Season 10), the only other all male team to win since them were two skinny not athletic guys.

And I know that they have 5 wins under their belt, but really they aren't Eric & Jeremy who at episode 7 had 5 episodes they finished first in.  All but one (the Fast Forward leg) was because they kicked the crap out of other teams.  Not because teams (n some cases a lot of teams screwed up).

And while I understand your sports analogy more people seem to want Andy & Tommy gone then the other teams.

Really so far, I like almost everyone (I haven't actually disliked any teams so far this season).  Even the "conflict" teams have been fairly mild.  And we have yet to see any real team against team fighting.  So far is this the nicest bunch at episode 7?

I really think it is. I'm okay with the remaining teams actually. In actual fact, I'm okay with the entire cast... It's very endearing to see a season with really good teams. <3 (Less than three, mswood.. seriously I know you're kidding) :neener:

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #244 on: November 06, 2011, 09:13:48 PM »
Seriously

I know Andy & Tommy handled the rowing well, but how much time did Ernie & Cindy waste looking for the U-Turn location?  They allowed Andy & Tommy to complete the task and catch up to them on foot.  They were just a tiny bit behind them at that point.

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #245 on: November 06, 2011, 09:14:22 PM »
Joab

I really think it is. I'm okay with the remaining teams actually. In actual fact, I'm okay with the entire cast... It's very endearing to see a season with really good teams. <3 (Less than three, mswood.. seriously I know you're kidding) :neener:
I seriously had no idea.

Remember I am old....

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #246 on: November 06, 2011, 09:57:25 PM »
But the main motivation for using the Express Pass was to not get U-Turned; the option to U-Turn someone else was really secondary.

Offline BayBay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #247 on: November 07, 2011, 04:30:34 AM »
Roadblock and detour were well designed but we needed a RI task as well! I think the puzzle would have been a great RI and would have caused much frustration!

Did everyone realise the u-turn shifted down to the bottom screens?

Offline guacamole300

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #248 on: November 07, 2011, 05:03:50 AM »
The closest first place finish in quite a while....when was the last one?

TAR 9 3-way finish. :lol: (That's still the best one)

mmmm, I remember TAR 12 in Burkina Faso, Azaria/Hendekea barely beat Nate/Jenn

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #249 on: November 07, 2011, 06:36:32 AM »
But the main motivation for using the Express Pass was to not get U-Turned; the option to U-Turn someone else was really secondary.

Ernie & Cindy lost sight of the main objective of all legs except the last one ... do not be the last team to the Mat.  At the canoes, they knew they were in a race for 1st place with Andy/Tommy and that a Double U-Turn was ahead.  Even if Andy/Tommy U-Turned Ernie/Cindy, E/C had the opportunity to "protect" themselves by using the second part of the U-Turn on another team or using the Express Pass.