Author Topic: Hazard  (Read 10777 times)

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
Hazard
« on: August 31, 2011, 08:25:50 PM »
and the second is Hazard; a penalty that one team will incur right at the starting line

Quote: Wiki

What do u think is this? I think this is either a 30-min penalty, or an extra task at the starting line.

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
Re: Hazard
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 09:01:35 PM »
http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/08/31/amazing-race-cast-survivor-ethan-jenna/

The pertinent bits

The duos will experience a few new twists this time around, including the show’s first ever double elimination, and something called the Hazard, which is a penalty that one team will incur right at the starting line. And for the first time ever, The Amazing Race will be visiting the countries of Belgium, Denmark, Malawi, and Indonesia.

Offline Snooky

• Beware of Spooks!
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Online Reality Games Yuniverse
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 09:22:35 PM »
All I can say is...Why didn't they come up with something creative??

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 09:47:15 PM »
The Hazard is a penalty that the last team that completes the first "challenge" in the Race will have to complete an additional task at some point before they can check in at the first pit stop.

Source, the explanation given by Phil in one of the clips already posted at CBS.com.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 11:05:38 PM by theschnauzers »
-- theschnauzers

Offline calphin

• RFF Jr. Member
  • Did I leave the stove on?
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 11:03:25 PM »
So, it's similar to Speed Bump, eh? And it's replacing the Automatic U-Turn on last season... Hmm...  :stare
I would love if they come up with some twists entirely different from existing ones, but let's see how it'll turn out!  ;)

Offline theamazingracer21

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 01:53:08 AM »
The Hazard is a penalty that the last team that completes the first "challenge" in the Race will have to complete an additional task at some point before they can check in at the first pit stop.

Source, the explanation given by Phil in one of the clips already posted at CBS.com.

thanks i almost went crazy trying to find out

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 06:54:36 AM »
I tend to think that's not just another Speed Bump.
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline realshowfan

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Frantic Fanfic Fanatic!
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 07:10:51 AM »
Why not just call it an Automatic Speed Bump?
This summer ※ The Amazing Race: ZBC // RSF
http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,31363.0.html

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 07:11:44 AM »
Why not just call it an Automatic Speed Bump?

Exactly, which makes me think it's something different. :)

Offline kevin2012

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Gangnam Style!
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 07:46:25 AM »
this just sounds gimmicky
Bring on the 21!

Offline Katarzyna

• RFF Full Member
  • Sashay away!
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2011, 08:31:14 AM »
Ugh the Hazard is so uninspired. I wish they just had a double u-turn for the last 2 teams to finish the starting line task. No need to create some fancy names   :lol:

Oh Brian, I can't wait til after dinner. Cos then we'll go home and you can watch me have my period.

Online Dom

• RFF Timeliner
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2011, 09:02:39 AM »
Or how about a 'Long Way Round' penalty: Next to some of the clueboxes along the leg will be another cluebox that the team with the penalty has to pick from. It'll usually contain the same basic clue but with a slightly different instruction like 'YOUR team must not use any form of transport to get to the destination' or 'YOUR team must complete the challenge with the least experienced crew'.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2011, 09:03:57 AM »
Ugh the Hazard is so uninspired. I wish they just had a double u-turn for the last 2 teams to finish the starting line task. No need to create some fancy names   :lol:

That sounds like a great idea. :tup:

Or how about a 'Long Way Round' penalty: Next to some of the clueboxes along the leg will be another cluebox that the team with the penalty has to pick from. It'll usually contain the same basic clue but with a slightly different instruction like 'YOUR team must not use any form of transport to get to the destination' or 'YOUR team must complete the challenge with the least experiences crew'.

That's more along the lines of what I'm thinking it is. :)

Offline Katarzyna

• RFF Full Member
  • Sashay away!
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2011, 09:46:23 PM »

That sounds like a great idea. :tup:

Or how about a 'Long Way Round' penalty: Next to some of the clueboxes along the leg will be another cluebox that the team with the penalty has to pick from. It'll usually contain the same basic clue but with a slightly different instruction like 'YOUR team must not use any form of transport to get to the destination' or 'YOUR team must complete the challenge with the least experiences crew'.

That's more along the lines of what I'm thinking it is. :)

That sounds great.  :tup:
Oh Brian, I can't wait til after dinner. Cos then we'll go home and you can watch me have my period.

Offline tarflyonthewall

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2011, 10:56:26 PM »
If it is that, I'd bet it'd be something like "YOUR team must use only walking and/or public transportation to reach the next destination", while everyone else at least has the option of cabs. Would totally be worth it if it was set up so that PT was actually faster (which, in Taipei, is a distinct possibility).

Offline Katarzyna

• RFF Full Member
  • Sashay away!
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2011, 11:03:10 PM »
If it is that, I'd bet it'd be something like "YOUR team must use only walking and/or public transportation to reach the next destination", while everyone else at least has the option of cabs. Would totally be worth it if it was set up so that PT was actually faster (which, in Taipei, is a distinct possibility).

Just another variation, maybe the when the team receives that long way run clue. The team will have another route info instead. That will tell them to go to another place to get their real clue.

Online Dom

• RFF Timeliner
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2011, 12:52:09 PM »
Phil says: ' It's something that is announced at the very beginning, but it has a rolling effect going forward through the rest of the Race.'

It could still be my earlier suggestion, and they could have a 'Long Way Round' on every leg, but this would be expensive and could leave many specially printed clues redundant if the team gets eliminated. So this is unlikely to be the Hazard.

My new guess is this: For the team with the Hazard penalty, every pit stop they reach, they must then wait until one more team checks in before checking in behind them. This means that if they come in second to last, they will be eliminated. They can rid themselves of the Hazard by winning a leg, much the same as the 'Marked for Elimination' penalty.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2011, 01:00:45 PM »
That's an interesting assessment, Dom. I tend to believe it. :tup:

Only problem is Phil said it was something that they teams had to do in the first leg.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 01:14:40 PM by Prophet »

Offline WalterC

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2011, 05:39:32 PM »
So, it's similar to Speed Bump, eh?

Unless I missed something, I wonder what the difference is, between the Hazard and Speed Bump? They seem to be basically the same thing, an extra task that only one team has to do.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2011, 05:40:39 PM »
I know, I didn't want to Hazard to be the same as the Speed Bump, but it really was. :(

Online Dom

• RFF Timeliner
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2011, 12:03:32 PM »
Phil says: ' It's something that is announced at the very beginning, but it has a rolling effect going forward through the rest of the Race.

Quote from: CBS Press release
Teams will be tested early and often and met with a new penalty called the “Hazard,” which will impact one Team’s future on the Race right from the starting line.

Even though we heard nothing about the future of the Hazard in the first episode, surely these quotes would imply that we haven't seen the last of it in this season..

Offline DeafRacer

• Amazing Racer
  • RFF VIP
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2011, 03:45:24 PM »
So, it's similar to Speed Bump, eh?

Unless I missed something, I wonder what the difference is, between the Hazard and Speed Bump? They seem to be basically the same thing, an extra task that only one team has to do.

Exactly! I was like   :duno:  when they showed Hazard.  They should have named it "Automatic Speed Bump"!!!

Offline Mug Costanza

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2011, 04:03:11 PM »
I would've been okay with it if there was an extra task they would have to do for the first 3 legs or something, not just the first one.

And what was the point of even having the extra task on a non-elimination leg?!
"I defy you to come up with a better name than Seven!"
"Alright... how 'bout Mug? Mug Costanza!"

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2011, 04:42:40 PM »
Well, the teams didn't know it was an NEL; and except for the grandparents, the other teams won't know about the double elimination apparently until they opened the first clue for the second leg.

It's possible we might see a hazard again in the Race this season, but my guess is that we won't.  The show tends to test something new for only one leg in the Race where it's introduced, so they can adjust it if it doesn't work they way they thought it would.
-- theschnauzers