Author Topic: TARAus 1 Episode 6 (Netherlands/Czech Republic) Episode Discussion *SPOILERS*  (Read 58480 times)

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
Re: TARAus 1 Episode 6 Episode Discussion *SPOILERS*
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2011, 06:38:46 AM »
Sam and Renae are fist to the Pit Stop and get checked in sixth.

Alana and Mel jog up to the mat in last place.

After a very long pause, Grant informs the sisters that they are eliminated.

They go out with their heads held high, Mel thinks it was the right time because her little sister had realised she can take control.

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2011, 06:40:02 AM »
Matt and Tom have stalled and the law stops them again.

Dave struggles with an Ice Hockey task and takes a really hard fall.

Some sort of brewery task involving carrying cases of beer. Dave reckons he's gonna drop em.

Matt hits his head on something wooden.

Offline ovalorange

• RFF Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2011, 07:04:10 AM »
It's such a shame Alana & Mel went out tonight, this leg appeared to be the leg they worked best as a team  :( Grant's long dramatic pause didn't help either, I thought he might have said it was a NEL  (:;) (And on a sidenote, Grant was a much better pitstop host this time around  :yess:) (sidenote 2: Did anyone else think Alana & Mel should have got a penalty for dragging the princess' carriage along the ground if they didn't arrive last?)

It wasn't the best episode, but it's definitely shaping up to be a good season  :jam:

Offline caper

• StartLine Finder Queen!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2011, 07:05:48 AM »
Another excellent play by play  :hearts:- Very much appreciated Coutzy!!!

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2011, 04:17:47 PM »
I think someone else posted somewhere that the mine in question was in Krakow.

Assuming that Poland is a separate leg from Netherlands/Czech Rep, then Jeff/Luke, Nathan/Tyler (seen in most recent promo), Sam/Renae (seen in earlier promo), and Chris/Ana (reading clue) make it to leg 7. Given the spotting of Tom/Matt in Ben Gurion, I'd wager that if there's an elim the sisters or the fogeys are biting the dust.

(Though I think that given how chaotic travel into and out of Africa can get, even between major hubs, that we might be due for an NEL again.)

:jam: (and of course I'd rather not be right in this case  :'()

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2011, 12:17:24 PM »
I am damn sad Alana and Mel were eliminated. :'(

I was rooting for them. My 3 favourite teams came in 5th, 6th and 7th. :groan:

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2011, 12:20:54 PM »
Loved the Detour and Roadblock. But with 2 all-female teams coming in last.. it's just either the All-female teams really suck or this race is really physical.

Still loving TAR Aussie and Chris and Anastasia surprised me this leg. I thought that Matt and Tom should have been given a penalty though. :'(

I don't like it that the all-male teams are owning the race. It makes the race EXTREMELY BORING. Good locations and such, but if not for the two all-female teams battle at the end, this leg would have been a snooze fest.

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2011, 12:26:11 PM »
I was wondering about a penalty also.  There may have been a note allowing teams to share unused arrows.

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2011, 12:33:18 PM »
Loved the Detour and Roadblock. But with 2 all-female teams coming in last.. it's just either the All-female teams really suck or this race is really physical.

Still loving TAR Aussie and Chris and Anastasia surprised me this leg. I thought that Matt and Tom should have been given a penalty though. :'(

I don't like it that the all-male teams are owning the race. It makes the race EXTREMELY BORING. Good locations and such, but if not for the two all-female teams battle at the end, this leg would have been a snooze fest.

Both Alana and Mel and Sam and Renae were not helped by the fact that they chose the more physical detour.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2011, 12:59:56 PM »

Both Alana and Mel and Sam and Renae were not helped by the fact that they chose the more physical detour.

Yea. I am fine with one side of the Detour being physical. But being eliminated due to a physical side of the Detour really sucks for an all-female team. I mean, it's the same as choosing a bad Detour and getting eliminated whether you're any type of team but I like Alana and Mel. I was rooting for them over Sam and Ranae. And you can't deny they have got better chances making it further because they're actually quite fast at times. We have seen them first a couple of times, BUT I JUST HAVE NO IDEA WHY THEY'RE ALWAYS FALLING BEHIND. :groan:

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2011, 09:29:59 PM »
I believe (and this feeling has almost nothing to back it up) that Alana was a lot more whiny than the edit made her look. A lot of the comments from Mel did seem grossly unfair, but they must have been grounded in something, which in this case is Alana being whiny.

I also think every team that carried was at a big disadvantage in the RB because of the heavy arm strain which would hinder their ability with a bow

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2011, 10:18:58 PM »
I just felt that Matt and Tom should have been given a penalty. Either they provide 50 arrows and if you can't get just 2 targets, you get the penalty, or two, just give them unlimited arrows.

That defeats the purpose of "no more arrows and possibly getting the penalty".

Of course it has nothing to do with Jeff and Luke here being nice. This team is a really honourable team and I really like them alot.

If you ask me, the Final 7 teams are amazing and in fact I thought Alana and Mel were not going to go because they have so much edit. :kuss:

Offline kiki

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2011, 11:56:54 PM »
I agree with you guys Tom and Matt should have been given a penalty. But the whole RB was poorly planned  for me. It's not logical to fail the RB if you don't hit the target with the 40 arrows. Maybe a team should be given a 30min penalty-waiting period and then allowed to continue the race.

On another note, although it was not obvious, the teams lost a lot of times in taxi moving back and forth. I was in Prague last summer so I realized that the most part of the episode was around the main square but they were approaching from all different sites. Their first destination was the cluebox in front of the tower, if they want through the arch in 5 min they would have been to the square where was the knight detour and another 5 min from the square is the Charles Bridge. Instead they made a whole circle with the taxi to bypass the square and end up to the bridge and then came back to the square.
As for the end the reason that Dave and kelly lost two places is because they went by foot to the castle, which is on the opposite side of Charles bridge but on a high hill, which takes some time to reach it. So they approached the Castle by the back side while the taxis took the others on the front side where the main gate is.
The shots we saw from David and Kelly was from inside the castle while Grant was waiting just outside.   

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2011, 12:44:49 AM »
You can't deny Dave and Kelly saved loads of money this leg. :lol:

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #64 on: June 22, 2011, 06:19:21 AM »
I agree with you guys Tom and Matt should have been given a penalty. But the whole RB was poorly planned  for me. It's not logical to fail the RB if you don't hit the target with the 40 arrows. Maybe a team should be given a 30min penalty-waiting period and then allowed to continue the race.

On another note, although it was not obvious, the teams lost a lot of times in taxi moving back and forth. I was in Prague last summer so I realized that the most part of the episode was around the main square but they were approaching from all different sites. Their first destination was the cluebox in front of the tower, if they want through the arch in 5 min they would have been to the square where was the knight detour and another 5 min from the square is the Charles Bridge. Instead they made a whole circle with the taxi to bypass the square and end up to the bridge and then came back to the square.
As for the end the reason that Dave and kelly lost two places is because they went by foot to the castle, which is on the opposite side of Charles bridge but on a high hill, which takes some time to reach it. So they approached the Castle by the back side while the taxis took the others on the front side where the main gate is.
The shots we saw from David and Kelly was from inside the castle while Grant was waiting just outside.   

Kiki, you must remember that Dave and Kelly elected to take public transportation to Prague Castle to save money for use later in the race. They made a conscious decision to avoid the more expensive taxis. If they could navigate the tram system, then I assume they would navigate to Prague Castle in the most direct way. If that meant going to the back side of the castle, then so be it.

Offline kiki

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2011, 07:14:33 AM »
^^ Apskip, I know they took the tram for some of the way, but as far as  I know the tram doesn't take you to the top of the hill. It goes as far as the foot of the hill and the road up is quite long and steep. Also Dave and kelly, entering the castle from the back they found themselves in the inner courtyards (there are at least two) and they could have lost a lot of time looking for Grant inside the castle grounds, as you can't see the main entrance from the inside.

Offline boston_jen

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #66 on: June 22, 2011, 08:47:36 AM »

I thought from Matt and Tom's conversation that the rules indicated that they could use more arrows only if another team gave the arrows to them.  So, they couldn't take them on their own, but if they waited, and could talk someone into sharing, they could keep shooting.  I think that's an interesting twist to a group competition.

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #67 on: June 22, 2011, 12:24:46 PM »

I thought from Matt and Tom's conversation that the rules indicated that they could use more arrows only if another team gave the arrows to them.  So, they couldn't take them on their own, but if they waited, and could talk someone into sharing, they could keep shooting.  I think that's an interesting twist to a group competition.
I also thought it was interesting. Do you just quit and take a four hour penalty and hope that other teams are far enough behind or do you wait for more teams to arrive and hope that they give arrows? Had Luke not given him the arrows, I have no doubt that Matt & Tom would have been eliminated. We'll just have to wait to see if it was a poor choice.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #68 on: June 22, 2011, 12:45:31 PM »
I know Jeff and Luke are playing it nice.. but please, that was your only chance to eliminate a strong team and keep 2 weak teams in the race. It could have been very dramatic for race purpose as well.

Offline the_insider

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2011, 06:51:52 PM »
According to Google maps the carry task from St Agnes Convent to Old Town Square is a distance of 650m.  Most of us could walk this comfortably in 5-10mins.  Carrying something though would be entirely different matter, it looked very heavy and awkward to lift.

From there to the pit stop - Prage Castle is about 2.5km.  I can only assume the archery task was somewhere in between.

Offline kiki

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2011, 10:51:53 PM »
From there to the pit stop - Prage Castle is about 2.5km.  I can only assume the archery task was somewhere in between.

I don't think that the archery task was somewhere close to the detour location and the pit stop. The detour was in the main square and the pit stop at the castle and both they are in the old part of the town with many buildings and not enough open space. The archery task was in an open space somewhere not to close to the city center but I think on the same side of the river as the castle.

Offline tarflyonthewall

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #71 on: July 01, 2011, 01:35:59 AM »
The archery happened at Strelecky Ostrov, the same location Flight Time & Big Easy got eliminated in TAR15.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #72 on: July 01, 2011, 07:34:31 AM »
very ncie catch, tarflyonthewall. I agree with you. The name Strelecky Ostrov "translates (roughly) as Archer's Island." How appropriate!