Author Topic: TAR 19 Locations/Destinations **Spoilers**  (Read 177780 times)

Offline inomu

• RFF Full Member
Re: TAR 19 Locations/Destinations **Spoilers**
« Reply #175 on: August 20, 2011, 05:08:15 PM »
I found these news that could have effected TAR route

- More than two million people are reported to have been displaced or otherwise affected by flooding in the Chinese province of Zhejiang. (19th of June)
- The fourth tropical storm of the 2011 Pacific typhoon season, Tropical Storm Haima (Egay), makes landfall in southern Guangdong Province in the People's Republic of China. (23rd of June)
- An 'unprecedented' flash flood hits Beijing, leaving streets and many areas including Tiananmen Square and the Beijing Subway system underwater. (23rd of June)
- Three explosions hit the Myanmar cities of Naypyidaw, Mandalay and Pyin U Lwin (24th of June, but highly unlikely they were going to travel in Myanmar anyways  :lol: )
- At least 10 people are killed in clashes in northern Kenya amid a severe drought affecting East Africa. (25th of June)

And then of course all the Arab Uprising news but the uprisings were already on before TAR started to film.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #176 on: August 20, 2011, 11:05:24 PM »
I would have loved to see Nepal on this season. It ooks like the favourite for the "missing leg".

Is there any way of checking flights that would have left Kathmandu and arriving in Malawi around the time teams were spotted in Malawi? The safari was expecting teams on a specific day, and if the flights from Kathmandu arrive on the same day then maybe it was Nepal.

Already done:

Here's my stab at Phuket to Johannesburg:
  • We assume they complete the Phuket leg at 1:00 pm on Saturday the 25th. 
  • We assume that they are standing in JNB airport at 9:00 am on Thursday the 30th.
Naturally they will want to go to the mountains of Nepal after the Beaches of Phuket.  Right?  Make sense to me!   :lol:

Here is a quick way to get to Kathmandu, Nepal on Sunday the 26th: (takes 6 hours and 15 min)
TG 226 leaves HKT at 7:25 am and arrives BKK at 8:50 am
TG 319 leaves BKK at 10:15 am and arrives KTM at 12:25 pm

Teams spend the next 72 hours racing and resting and racing and waiting (one leg) and are standing at Kathmandu airport at 12:25 pm on Wednesday the 29th.

Here is a quick way to get to Johannesburg by 9:00 am on Thursday the 30th:  (takes 20 hours and 15 min)
TG 320 leaves KTM at 1:30 pm and arrives BKK at 6:15 pm
MH 781 leaves BKK at 7:40 pm and arrives KUL at 10:50 pm
MH 203 leaves KUL at 1:20 am and arrives JNB at 6:00 am on the 30th

You can substitute SIN for KUL in getting to JNB and still make this happen.
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline tarflyonthewall

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #177 on: August 21, 2011, 11:11:08 PM »
I know Australia wasn't going to be visited as part of the route, but it seems plausible they could have been expecting teams to connect there while flying from south-east Asia to southern Africa.

Alternately, given that in the past they've tended to move the scheduled legs forward in order to give themselves time to organise things properly (TAR2 moving from Argentina Leg 3 to New Zealand Leg 10; TAR5 moving from Istanbul Leg 5 to Dubai Leg 8; TAR8 moving from Belize Leg 7 to Montreal Leg 12, with additional backtracking around Utah to get additional time to do it right), I'd think we've identified the right time period/region for where the original leg was supposed to take place but the replacement leg may not have turned up until right near the end of the season.

I'd say our route was originally something like this:

Leg 1: LA - Taiwan
Leg 2: Taiwan - Indonesia
Leg 3: Indonesia
Leg 4: Indonesia - Thailand
Leg 5: Thailand - Nepal
Leg 6: Nepal - Malawi
Leg 7: Malawi
Leg 8: Malawi - Kenya
Leg 9: Kenya - Denmark
Leg 10: Demnark - Belgium
Leg 11: Belgium - Panama
Leg 12: Panama - Atlanta

But with the Nepal issues, we may get something like this instead

Leg 1: LA - Taiwan
Leg 2: Taiwan - Indonesia
Leg 3: Indonesia
Leg 4: Indonesia - Thailand
Leg 5: Thailand - Malawi
Leg 6: Malawi
Leg 7: Malawi - Kenya
Leg 8: Kenya - Denmark
Leg 9: Denmark
Leg 10: Demnark - Belgium
Leg 11: Belgium - Panama
Leg 12: Panama - Atlanta

I realise Denmark's probably the most expensive location on the new route this season (although taking the full cast to Taiwan and the logistics of getting to Malawi make it debatable), but there was a fairly decent-sized gap between the Malawi/Kenya spoilers and the remours of Belgium, which makes the replacement likely to have been in Europe somewhere. And if the show's in budget mode it makes sense that they'd just make a second leg for a country they're already headed to rather than scout an extra location on short notice then pay to fly the teams and crews in and out. The other option is land travel from Denmark to Belgium via Germany, but since we got the other three Germanic nations last season it's not likely.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #178 on: August 21, 2011, 11:34:22 PM »
I think it is unlikely the show would have doubled up legs in a country that was planned for one leg. Among other things, TPTB, from what I have understood, have back-up legs planned so if a leg is needed, they can take those plans off the shelf, have the local producers gear up and get the local crews and casting in place. It's one reason why Bert and Elise and company travel ahead of Phil and the teams.

I haven't figured out exactly hoe production at that level travels (I suspect two of the executive and supervising producers leap frog the legs during filming) but this is the reason why they have to travel with the show as filming proceeds.

And I'm under the impression that Kenya has not been established as a location this season.

We may have to wait until CBS releases pre-season publicity or the episodes air.
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #179 on: August 21, 2011, 11:57:34 PM »
Sadly, There was no Kenya this season, except as a transit airport.

Nepal looks like a likely missed leg, darn it all.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #180 on: August 22, 2011, 11:32:20 AM »
Phil must have been heartbroken...he has mentioned in every single interview how much he wants to go there. I understand, it is one of my favorite places in the world too!

Oh well...maybe we will see it in Season 20! :hearts:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #181 on: August 22, 2011, 02:45:27 PM »
Oh, I do hope so, I am so surprised at the amount of new locations they wanted to visit!
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #182 on: August 22, 2011, 05:30:21 PM »
That's never stopped them before. Atlanta?? :lol:

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #183 on: August 22, 2011, 08:06:31 PM »
Weather wise Nepal makes more sense in November than June.
June to September is considered monsoon season. Wouldn't want to be anywhere that's susceptible to mud slides during monsoon. Which would pretty well rule out anything outside Kathmandu or the valley.
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #184 on: August 22, 2011, 08:07:55 PM »
True! And they have LEECHES then! **shudders**

:lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:

DavidJunior

« Reply #185 on: August 23, 2011, 05:40:52 PM »
Question:
What is the status of Madrid?  I remember it being mentioned in some posts, including a possible sighting, but I'm not sure what happened to it.  Is it just a connection point? Or a debunked rumor? or what?

I'm slightly confused on the matter...

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #186 on: August 23, 2011, 07:29:50 PM »
No legs in Madrid anyway...
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #187 on: August 27, 2011, 11:20:55 PM »
Aww. Nepal. :( It might be Phil's teaser country. But since Taiwan <3, Indonesia <3, Thailand <3, Malawi <3, Belgium <3, Denmark <3, Panama <3, Atlanta <33, it is still AWESOME! :hearts:
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline selkie

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #188 on: August 29, 2011, 06:26:29 PM »
It wouldn't necessarily have been an event big enough to hit the newswires to cause the rerouting. It could have been something as maddenngly simple as a bureaucrat on a power trip revoking filming visas at the last minute.

"in one day the whole world turned upside down in the place that we were at"

Could also suggest that they made it to their planned destination, and then they had to scrub their original RB and Detour in favor of their back-up plan because of extremely localized disruptions/problems, rather than having to go as far as to travel to a back-up destination. 

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #189 on: August 29, 2011, 06:36:09 PM »
Nepal wasn't all that cold then...after checking the weather. :duno:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #190 on: August 31, 2011, 10:09:49 AM »
I just put up the official press release in the Media thread. One thing I noticed was it says teams will be riding elephants in the rainforests of Thailand. I don't think there are any rainforests around Phuket. Maybe this could clue us towards the second Thai leg?
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #191 on: August 31, 2011, 10:42:28 AM »
Lots of elephants up around Chiang Mai...and since TARA used it, it would be an easy fill in spot as well.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #192 on: August 31, 2011, 10:01:27 PM »
I GOT BELGUIM RIGHT!!!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #193 on: August 31, 2011, 10:04:44 PM »
So did our spoiler sighting. :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #194 on: September 01, 2011, 01:47:06 AM »
This shot was taken between 5:52 and 6:06 pm (assumes June 18th).

Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline supah

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #195 on: September 01, 2011, 04:48:10 AM »
hey guys!
so excited to find out that belgium is true!
i think the team im going to root for this season is marcus and amani!
from the clips ive seen i think the Hsi Lai Buddhist Temple in Hacienda Heights is the STARTING line for our race. but im not sure how point mugu ties in with this :duno: maybe there could be a challenge there which triggers the hazard

Offline weihen

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #196 on: September 01, 2011, 05:05:34 AM »
hey guys!
so excited to find out that belgium is true!
i think the team im going to root for this season is marcus and amani!
from the clips ive seen i think the Hsi Lai Buddhist Temple in Hacienda Heights is the STARTING line for our race. but im not sure how point mugu ties in with this :duno: maybe there could be a challenge there which triggers the hazard
I think point mugu just film Phil's opening of this season.

Offline Flamant

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Lumilia <3
« Reply #197 on: September 01, 2011, 08:13:12 AM »
YESS!!  :yess: I found my first thrue spoiler with Belgium!! So glad of myself!! lol  :wohoo:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #198 on: September 01, 2011, 09:53:42 AM »
Not exactly....

for one thing, Nepal is PURE spec. At the moment we have no proof that that was ever intended.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #199 on: September 01, 2011, 12:46:22 PM »
I'm not under the impression that can be said to be the final list; there are some assumptions in there because it's still likely we have 12 legs (or their equivalents) as has been the case in every recent season and with only 7 countries listed there would have to be five countries with double legs (or the equivalents).
-- theschnauzers