Author Topic: TAR Google Earth Project  (Read 98356 times)

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
Re: TAR Google Earth Project
« Reply #150 on: March 10, 2020, 04:18:49 AM »
Coming back to HaMerotz LaMillion 1, do we have an idea on where the finish line might be? Wikipedia says Black Rock Valley but I have no idea where that name came from.

In the opening of the final episode, Raz introduces himself at the finish line and says "זהו עמק הסלע השחור", meaning "This is the Black Rock Valley".

I found a "Black Rock Settlement Road" in Otago, New Zealand located here... It's over 100km away from where the helicopters took off from (Assuming they actually took off from Nevis Valley and there wasn't some editing trickery). You're a lot better at visually matching up landscapes than I am, but looking at a satellite view does show rolling green fields that somewhat match the location of the final task.

And speaking of HaMerotz LaMillion, Michal & Ran if you're still around, do you recall any information about the forest you visited while in Japan. It was after taking the train out of Tokyo, and it's where the Roadblock took place (The one where Ran had to pass the guards in a certain sequence). We still only have that listed as "Forest" and it bugs me.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 10:33:18 PM by G.B. »
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #151 on: April 02, 2020, 10:31:56 AM »
I'm on TAR3, and I was wondering if you could explain your reasoning for the airfield on Leg 1 in Mexico.

No problem!

We start by working backwards from the skydive landing zone at the end of the Detour. The area has changed over the years, but if we roll back Google Earth as far as you can go to 2005, there's a match to a football field in Xochitepec.

That raises some questions. Phil says that the donkey course was 7 miles, but Tequesquitengo is 13 miles by road from the landing zone. It's possible that Phil has got his maths wrong (this happens a lot) or teams choosing the donkeys finished somewhere else (we never actually see them finish on the episode), but that places some doubt on the Detour starting in Tequesquitengo.

Another complication: the episode shows the skydive plane taking off against a backdrop of low hills, but the San José Vista Hermosa airfield is surrounded by flat land. So we need to hunt around for alternatives.

We find that in Chiconcuac, which is 3 miles away from the landing zone by road. The hills to the west match the episode, and more conclusively, Heather and Eve get dumped by their donkey exactly where we expect them to, at the entrance to the airfield.

Thanks GB, I was so focused on the end of the episode in HaMerotz LaMillion that I never bothered to examine the start! Michal/Ran, do you have any other clues for us, like which direction from Auckland you guys travelled for the Finish Line?

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #152 on: April 08, 2020, 02:18:46 AM »
Sounds good. I'll add it to all the edits that I'm re-doing after I got all the way to TAR17 and my motherboard fried, so I had to start all over again. :Y
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #153 on: April 14, 2020, 12:16:38 AM »
Neobie, I think you've made a mistake. Your file for TAR21-31 only has TAR21 on it, and nothing else. I notice now that the filesize is a lot smaller on it, lol

ALSO: I finally got around to updating the BIG LIST on Page 2 with the more recent seasons (30, 31, IS6, IS7, AU4, CN6, CN7 and VN6)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 08:05:39 AM by G.B. »

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #154 on: April 28, 2020, 06:22:33 AM »
Thanks, I've fixed the links on the original post!
Also fixed the Brussels train station for TAR 19; thanks for the heads-up!

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #155 on: May 07, 2020, 10:22:29 PM »
What's the significance of Grantfield Garage to the 'Light My Fire' Detour in Lerwick? (TAR25)

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #156 on: May 15, 2020, 01:11:00 PM »
If I remember correctly that's where some of the teams parked their cars after picking up their supplies.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #157 on: May 15, 2020, 05:36:29 PM »
Nice job on the Agra legs in TAR27. I remember those ones giving me the biggest headache when the episode first came out. Nothing was named, and nothing was listed on Google. Looks like I got pretty much everything wrong, but it's right now!

I checked some pictures and images of the lines painted on the street outside, and I'm like 90% sure my marker for Rustaveli Theatre is correct as opposed to the new one you put down.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 06:16:02 AM by G.B. »

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #158 on: December 11, 2020, 01:22:04 AM »
Added TAR Israel 8

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #159 on: December 17, 2020, 01:30:30 AM »
Added TAR32

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #160 on: April 03, 2021, 02:53:53 AM »
TAR Australia 5 added

Offline ianthebalance

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #161 on: April 08, 2021, 11:21:58 AM »
I’m unable to access any of the files

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #162 on: April 08, 2021, 03:32:55 PM »
I’m unable to access any of the files

They seem to work just fine for me.

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #163 on: March 03, 2022, 06:31:21 PM »
This season wasn't too hard for locations, waiting to see how this matches up with GB's!
If anyone wants a challenge we can go back to the ones I've marked as "spec" or "approx" and find those specific locations!

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #164 on: March 04, 2022, 12:52:00 AM »
Added TAR33 (Haven't looked at Neobie's yet)

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #165 on: March 05, 2022, 02:48:15 PM »
Great job GB! Our maps mostly line up, with these minor differences:
- Phil said the darts in London were in Flight Club Victoria, but the exterior and interior actually match up with Flight Club Shoreditch.
- The promo photos of the Speedbump in St Gallen match up with the topography in Altstätten.
- Slowhatch found the locations for Cafe Jasmine and Ouzeri Tsinari Cafe here, in the Upper Town.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #166 on: October 26, 2022, 06:01:15 AM »
Added TARC8 and TARAu6

Offline actionjacksonwx

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #167 on: February 03, 2023, 03:30:50 PM »
Hi TAR mappers! Long time reader, first time poster. I so greatly appreciate your work and use it to follow along when I watch the show.

I was curious about the start line of season 2. The consensus seems to be it was on the California side of the line from Pahrump, though the show and other generic online location sources only seem to generically mention Nevada or Pahrump.

My attempt to search the forum for any specific discussion about this location was unsuccessful, so I was just curious how it was determined. It certainly appears legitimate based on satellite imagery, but curious minds want to know.

Thanks in advance!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #168 on: February 04, 2023, 12:22:32 PM »
Welcome actionjacksonwx!   :bigwelcome

I have reached out to Neobie and GB either who hopefully can help!
GB's the RFF Wiki may have the info as well

Reality Fan Wiki   

Anyone else? If we don't have the info I'll ask a racer, just let me know!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #169 on: February 04, 2023, 03:39:22 PM »

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #170 on: February 06, 2023, 05:31:20 PM »
Hi actionjacksonwx! Phil does mention Pahrump at the start of the show (and teams pass through in their cars getting to Las Vegas), so that's where most online sources got their information. However, the start line was actually on the salt flats (no vegetation, even scrub), which Google Maps shows to be located entirely on the California side.

Offline actionjacksonwx

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #171 on: February 06, 2023, 11:45:11 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome! And thanks Neobie for the explanation. While there is plenty of desert on the NV side, it didn't occur to me there were no large areas without scrub. And now that I'm looking at the most southwestern available street view on the NV side, I can indeed match the profile of the mountains to Phil's background in the introduction. Not that I doubted before, but internally I am more confident now.  :jam:

I just wish he wouldn't have muddled things by saying "in southern Nevada".

Thanks again, and take care!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #172 on: February 15, 2023, 12:18:33 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome! And thanks Neobie for the explanation. While there is plenty of desert on the NV side, it didn't occur to me there were no large areas without scrub. And now that I'm looking at the most southwestern available street view on the NV side, I can indeed match the profile of the mountains to Phil's background in the introduction. Not that I doubted before, but internally I am more confident now.  :jam:

I just wish he wouldn't have muddled things by saying "in southern Nevada".

Thanks again, and take care!

Glad we could help! And with your expertise I hope you'll stick around and help us next time!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline actionjacksonwx

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #173 on: May 14, 2023, 09:59:53 AM »
For the pitstop of TAR 11.2 in Valle de la Muerte/Valley of the Dead, there is an image geotagged on Google that helps pin down a more precise location.

The image linked above is just a short distance west-southwest of the mat location. Note the terrain background and downhill view when the camera is pointed from Phil's viewing angle, the mat is near a slight curve to the left (for cars going west), and the expansive dune area at the edge of which the cars parked. I'd estimate the mat to be roughly near -22.9022,-68.2416

Facing west, a sign in the linked image indicating that no vehicle traffic can continue beyond that point perhaps explains why they had to use the eastern entrance.