Author Topic: "THE DEATH OF THE FERN"  (Read 28631 times)

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: "THE DEATH OF THE FERN"
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2011, 03:52:26 PM »
At first it thought the original Fern has died.  :(

Its sad to see this happen. Rob and Amber would be lost today.

NoluckBoston,
I don't see Rob and Amber from that perspective. They are amazingly resourceful individuals. Yes, they got significant help throughout Amazing Race 7 and probably in the first 3 episodes of AR11 from locals who had admired them from their time on Survivor.  They were not lost in the Little Havana section of Miami searching for El Rey Dos Habaneros; it was their taxi driver who was totally at fault in the finale of AR7. The design of the 4th leg of AR11 did not give them much opportunity to benefit from locals. It was a random letter finding task that did them in.

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't wanna go to heaven without raising hell. ♥
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2011, 05:17:38 AM »
I actually find this new rule to be ridiculous. For those of you who mentioned that you love to see teams interact with random strangers, I totally agree! WE even had an episode in All-Stars named by a "Fern", in Malaysia, "The Way You Look, Yeah", when they were talking to Dustin & Kandice.

I HOPE that this is changed for TAR19, as I think it is an awful rule, and it gives an unfair advantage to certain teams over others, which I can't accept. Bad rule, I love Ferns! (:;)
I'd rather walk alone than let them throw dirty confetti. ♥

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2011, 03:01:27 PM »
Aww, I'll miss Ferns on the Race.  I get the safety aspect and all the singing releases stuff, but it's still kinda sad.  There's already less interaction with the locals as it is.  Teams don't even ask locals anymore and instead go straight to internets.

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2011, 05:23:03 AM »
I actually find this new rule to be ridiculous. For those of you who mentioned that you love to see teams interact with random strangers, I totally agree! WE even had an episode in All-Stars named by a "Fern", in Malaysia, "The Way You Look, Yeah", when they were talking to Dustin & Kandice.

I HOPE that this is changed for TAR19, as I think it is an awful rule, and it gives an unfair advantage to certain teams over others, which I can't accept. Bad rule, I love Ferns! (:;)

The only advantage I see is towards teams that are smart, or good at doing research. An advantage that they've earned by being smart or good at doing research.

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't wanna go to heaven without raising hell. ♥
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2011, 05:03:16 AM »

The only advantage I see is towards teams that are smart, or good at doing research. An advantage that they've earned by being smart or good at doing research.

Yeah, those people definitely earn their advantage by being smart, but unfortunately people who have excellent interpersonal skills will lose that aspect of the race. This would suit me just fine if I were to ever participate, as I'd be very good with maps and navigation and I would be very bad with communicating with locals.  :res: It certainly changes the dynamics of the race, whether or not you like or hate the change... :duno:
I'd rather walk alone than let them throw dirty confetti. ♥

Offline kiki

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2011, 05:55:51 AM »
It's not so much a matter of advantage for the teams, as it was great for us to see them interacting with locals. There were good moments like the original Fern and bad moments like in Vietnam with Duke and Lauren, but it was all interesting for us, the viewers, and I missed that from the last TAR as I have missed the search for flights.

edited to correct the typo in the name
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 10:33:15 AM by kiki »

Offline AmazingRace

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yup, we didn't win. Damn.
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2011, 09:37:18 AM »
It's not so much a matter of advantage for the teams, as it was great for us to see them interacting with locals. There were good moments like the original Fern and bad moments like in Vietnam with Luke Duke and Lauren, but it was all interesting for us, the viewers, and I missed that from the last TAR as I have missed the search for flights.

Fixed!  ;)

Offline kathleenykl

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2011, 04:16:06 AM »
Well, there was one fern I absolutely hated... it was the lady the father and (lesbian) daughter met on the plane to hanoi in season 10. she told them she could take them around town. she was such a memorably hateful fern  (:;)
First she made them wait for her at the airport, then she told the taxi driver to take her to her house first to get her brother somewhere. Such a freeloader, that fern, she actually wanted to get a free ride for her (and later her brother)! She was also very rude  B:) "Do you not understand what I saying?" B:) and not remorseful at all for telling the racers half-truths throughout.
By the time they wisened up to throw the fern out of the taxi, the additional distance travelled to said fern's house had cost them their money and they only got to their next clue by the grace of their taxi driver who accepted $11 as payment. That was also the start of the bad luck that team had throughout the leg and eventually they came in last. foreshadowing much? I don't know but not all ferns are helpful and fans of the show, some just want to piss racers off and get screen time. And in this case, a free ride.  :jam: BEEYOTCH!

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2011, 03:01:17 AM »
I remembered the one that followed an all-female team in the car.. was it? It was an all-female team that the guy followed ALL THE WAY to the next location.. and the team just dropped him at a random secluded location. </3

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2011, 03:03:06 AM »
At first it thought the original Fern has died.  :(

Its sad to see this happen. Rob and Amber would be lost today.

NoluckBoston,
I don't see Rob and Amber from that perspective. They are amazingly resourceful individuals. Yes, they got significant help throughout Amazing Race 7 and probably in the first 3 episodes of AR11 from locals who had admired them from their time on Survivor.  They were not lost in the Little Havana section of Miami searching for El Rey Dos Habaneros; it was their taxi driver who was totally at fault in the finale of AR7. The design of the 4th leg of AR11 did not give them much opportunity to benefit from locals. It was a random letter finding task that did them in.

And by the blessings of Mirna's dead grandmama. :lol:

Offline Jareb

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2011, 08:41:37 PM »
I'm glad the Fern is gone. These people should have to make their way on their own, only asking for directions. Let them see what it's like to have to make their way around when they don't speak the language and can't read the signs. Let them stay home if they aren't up for a challenge like that.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2011, 08:46:35 PM »
Ad I am SO delighted to be able to say that the FERN is alive and well!!

Rumors of her death have been greatly exaggerated!! :yess:

We have seen extraordinary clues REQUIRING the use of FERNS in the first episode!!

Thank you whoever brought them back!! :tu

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2011, 08:08:30 PM »
In the second episode they need to interact with the locals in BOTH Detours in order to complete the Detour as well! Not much of ferns, but I like tasks like these which require locals to help them to complete it... :)

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2011, 09:06:35 PM »
Having to interact with the locals, and getting at least a glimpse of the local culture has always been, and should always be, part of TAR. That includes the Ferns.
-- theschnauzers

Offline DeafRacer

• Amazing Racer
  • RFF VIP
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2011, 11:26:25 PM »
I know the answer about the ferns........

But, I'll let you guys  :meow:

:neener:

Offline DeafRacer

• Amazing Racer
  • RFF VIP
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2011, 11:28:08 PM »
AND!

Don't forget about the lovely Fern in Beijing who saved our lives! Then, we all tried fit in the back of cab but it's too cramp and we couldn't get the door close so we had to ditch our Fern  :(

Offline BayBay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2011, 07:14:14 AM »
I know the answer about the ferns........

But, I'll let you guys  :meow:

:neener:

Where you explicitly banned from using them? do spill the goss  :<3

Offline Flamant

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Lumilia <3
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2011, 09:45:25 AM »
Must be hard not be allowed to say anything.... lol

Offline DeafRacer

• Amazing Racer
  • RFF VIP
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2011, 03:31:12 PM »
I'm actually friend with few Ferns on Facebook that helped us on Season 14 and 18 so that's pretty cool to have the connection.

There were one part that weren't shown on Season 14's Second Leg.  We ran into this sweet old couple at the dock after we finished our cake detour. They were sweet enough to offer to lead us to the pit stop. That's our first Ferns!

Now, there's the editing... It made it look like we left first before Brad & Victoria.... But for real, Brad & Victoria actually left the dock to the pit stop before we could leave. We were at the dock for like good 30 minutes after Brad & Victoria left. But with the ferns' help, we managed to beat Brad & Victoria to the pit stop.

Ferns def. do have an impact on the Race!

Now, it's up to you guys to debate if the Ferns are really dead or they're still around...

The detours from last week's episode - they are not really the Ferns. They're just random people on streets just happened to donates their $$ to the racers.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2011, 08:46:33 PM »
Many of them had to use Ferns to get the phonecard thing right...we see shots of at least one!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.