Author Topic: Amazing Race Questions  (Read 1161371 times)

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Amazing Race Questions
« Reply #775 on: March 24, 2013, 04:07:22 PM »
If there is no anwser given , we find out on our own!  :knuckles:
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #776 on: March 24, 2013, 04:20:33 PM »
Camera shots are not the rarity they used to be, I see one or two almost every vid.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline RaceUntilWeDie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #777 on: March 28, 2013, 06:37:23 PM »
What I don't understand is why TAR 14's double-length leg isn't counted as 2 legs?

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #778 on: March 28, 2013, 09:19:59 PM »
What I don't understand is why TAR 14's double-length leg isn't counted as 2 legs?
There's a variety of definitions people use for distinguishing legs like this.

One way to split is to separate when there's a "To Be Continued". This started on Season 6, but teams didn't visit Phil at this point- the episode just ended with teams still racing, waiting for a shop to open. In the next season a clue sent racers to Phil, where he said "The leg is not over, here is your next clue!" (a double-length leg). Season 10 had something else funky, in that teams were never told to go to a pitstop or see Phil, they just opened a clue that said "You're still racing!!!!!", and I always thought that was kind of strange. I believe Season 18 (Unfinished Business) was the first "To be continued" for Phil to say something like "Your next leg begins now, here's your next clue!" (a zero-hour pitstop in the middle of two legs).

Another point is if they got a prize. Before Season 18 teams didn't receive a prize for showing up first at these locations, making it more obvious that it is the midpoint of two separate legs. However, Jamie & Cara actually did in fact win a prize, but it wasn't shown, but then again Phil said that the leg wasn't over. 

For his handy list of team average placements, I'm pretty sure theschnauzers counts any visit to Phil as a separate leg, and he might also count Seasons 6 and 10 as two legs despite teams not ever meeting Phil at a midpoint. For my list of average placements, the way I separate legs is if Phil says that it's two legs rather than a continuation of a leg. I wouldn't be surprised if that's how the show did it, if it even cares about that.

Honestly, TAR14 is more like the recent TBCs and should probably be counted as two separate legs, but because it was the first to be like that the show just used the old jargon. I probably gave a lot of mostly unneeded info, and I probably didn't even answer your question.

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #779 on: March 28, 2013, 09:31:29 PM »
When Phil says the Pit Stop prize, he says "A trip for two from Travelocity to ___________, you and a guest will....."

Does that mean each racer gets the Pit Stop prize or just one for the team?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #780 on: March 28, 2013, 09:39:52 PM »
For the team. They need to draw straws later, lol.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #781 on: March 29, 2013, 01:36:17 AM »
There's a variety of definitions people use for distinguishing legs like this.

One way to split is to separate when there's a "To Be Continued". This started on Season 6, but teams didn't visit Phil at this point- the episode just ended with teams still racing, waiting for a shop to open. In the next season a clue sent racers to Phil, where he said "The leg is not over, here is your next clue!" (a double-length leg). Season 10 had something else funky, in that teams were never told to go to a pitstop or see Phil, they just opened a clue that said "You're still racing!!!!!", and I always thought that was kind of strange. I believe Season 18 (Unfinished Business) was the first "To be continued" for Phil to say something like "Your next leg begins now, here's your next clue!" (a zero-hour pitstop in the middle of two legs).

Another point is if they got a prize. Before Season 18 teams didn't receive a prize for showing up first at these locations, making it more obvious that it is the midpoint of two separate legs. However, Jamie & Cara actually did in fact win a prize, but it wasn't shown, but then again Phil said that the leg wasn't over. 

For his handy list of team average placements, I'm pretty sure theschnauzers counts any visit to Phil as a separate leg, and he might also count Seasons 6 and 10 as two legs despite teams not ever meeting Phil at a midpoint. For my list of average placements, the way I separate legs is if Phil says that it's two legs rather than a continuation of a leg. I wouldn't be surprised if that's how the show did it, if it even cares about that.

Honestly, TAR14 is more like the recent TBCs and should probably be counted as two separate legs, but because it was the first to be like that the show just used the old jargon. I probably gave a lot of mostly unneeded info, and I probably didn't even answer your question.

I treat each half of a "double" leg as a separate leg for averaging purposes in order to have each season treated equally especially during seasons 1-12, when the normal length was 13 legs. Subsequent seasons with the variations that the show has been using, with 12 legs or equivalents in every season since season 14 has been similarly treated. Only season 13 had 11 legs, and that was due to the scheduling in that particular spring cycle (as there was one fewer Sunday available before the end of the May "ratings sweep" period and the overall September to May annual ratings cycle.

I haven't had any problem in my mind as to when an extended or continuous racing takes place and where the legs are separated.

(Not that it matters, but the folks at Wiki finally ended up agreeing with this approach for the early seasons. Since it was possible from the information broadcast to determine the order of arrival at the "midpoint" whatever it was with or without Phil being there, the treatment is consistent. The overnight camping we've seen in early seasons and in season 8 were not leg midpoints; teams departed at pre-set intervals that were not always determined by the time of arrival at that point.)

I don't know if that helps or not, but if you go to the original ranking all of the teams by placement average thread, you'll see that this was discussed when I first posted it here at RFF.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 01:39:36 AM by theschnauzers »
-- theschnauzers

Offline RaceUntilWeDie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #782 on: March 29, 2013, 08:24:31 AM »
Just re-watched the TAR 14 episode. Phil did say "This leg is not over." How did I miss that?!

Haha, thanks guys!

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #783 on: March 29, 2013, 08:19:04 PM »
(Not that it matters, but the folks at Wiki finally ended up agreeing with this approach for the early seasons. Since it was possible from the information broadcast to determine the order of arrival at the "midpoint" whatever it was with or without Phil being there, the treatment is consistent. The overnight camping we've seen in early seasons and in season 8 were not leg midpoints; teams departed at pre-set intervals that were not always determined by the time of arrival at that point.)

What!? Really!? I leave for a month and everything changes. Although honestly, the entire reason I went with the way I did is because the wiki was like that, and I knew that it would take a lot of time to change everything on the site. I guess I better edit my list.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #784 on: March 29, 2013, 11:20:24 PM »
The Wiki folks use two columns of placements for the double-length leg. The only nit-pick I have is their attempt to list a midpoint placement on the final leg of season 8. They show a mid-leg placement but do not explain where they consider the midpoint. Prior discussion here reached the conclusion that depending on what exact task was chosen (arrival at Montreal Olympic Stadium) to start a task to search and find a clue with a release time the following morning, the order of completing that task, or the time each time found) would come up with three different placement orders at those point. The show never made clear which was the actual midpoint, and I decided that, consistent with the earliest seasons camping out overnight during the final leg, that task could not be considered a midpoint of a double leg.
-- theschnauzers

Offline RaceUntilWeDie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #785 on: April 06, 2013, 09:29:22 PM »
What are the nine Emmy's that TAR has won?

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
« Reply #786 on: April 06, 2013, 09:33:33 PM »
All for best reality TV show.

Offline RaceUntilWeDie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #787 on: April 06, 2013, 09:37:15 PM »
Actually, I kinda meant what seasons did they win the Emmy's on.. sorry for the confusion!

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
« Reply #788 on: April 06, 2013, 09:47:59 PM »
Oh. :lol:

Haphazard list: TAR3 Switzerland, TAR7 Botswana 1, TAR18 Varanasi? (Rontina eliminated), TAR20 Tanzania 2.

Offline Theo

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • 2020 mood
« Reply #789 on: April 07, 2013, 10:40:14 AM »
TAR 9 Oman, TAR 12 India, TAR 14 Switzerland. TAR 10 Vietnam 2 (?)
TAR Jeopardy Revival: here

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #790 on: April 07, 2013, 06:40:21 PM »
Generally it is determined by the episode(s) submitted for consideration in the nomination process. While most of them have had two cycles, the second Emmy (IIRC) had 3 cycles (cycles 4, 5, 6) during the eligibility period.

I don't have that information handy, but that is what one would be looking for.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Mug Costanza

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #791 on: April 07, 2013, 10:11:23 PM »
Wikipedia had a list of the episodes/years they were nominated for: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Amazing_Race_(U.S._TV_series)#Awards

So it looks like they won for Seasons 3, 4, 7, 9, 10, 12, 14, 18, and 20.
"I defy you to come up with a better name than Seven!"
"Alright... how 'bout Mug? Mug Costanza!"

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #792 on: April 08, 2013, 11:08:19 PM »
Have any team members on any TAR season (including international) had an incident when they accidentally broke or torn their backpacks?

I think this might be a REAL game changer if they are in a foot race for last place or a Berlin moment like Freddy & Kendra versus Jonathan & Victoria. :lol3:
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #793 on: April 15, 2013, 06:38:17 AM »
Is there a penalty in the Amazing Race for deliberately blocking another team's taxi?

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #794 on: April 15, 2013, 03:39:01 PM »
I always wonder how production relays information to the Pit Stop about penalties that the teams get. The camera guys can't just radio and tell them, 'cus then the team would know.
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #795 on: April 15, 2013, 03:51:26 PM »
I always wonder how production relays information to the Pit Stop about penalties that the teams get. The camera guys can't just radio and tell them, 'cus then the team would know.

Field producers  :)

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #796 on: April 15, 2013, 04:14:56 PM »
?
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #797 on: April 15, 2013, 09:27:43 PM »
Is there a penalty in the Amazing Race for deliberately blocking another team's taxi?
Charla & Mirna got into Colin & Christie's taxi and refused to get out in Egypt. The cousins didn't get a penalty.
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #798 on: April 16, 2013, 01:40:28 PM »
Each team is followed by a camera and a productor i think. If the productor sees a penalty he can just call or message the Pit Stop production.
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #799 on: April 16, 2013, 02:13:25 PM »
Production is not assigned to follow teams as the camera crew does.

However, production is stationed at all tasks. clue boxes, and the pit stops, so if a team violates an instruction at one of those locations, either the local person overseeing a task, a local producer at a location, or production at the pit stop will relay the information to Phil.
In the event there's a rule violation at other times, with only the camera crew present, then the crew can report the issue when the team reaches the pit stop, and a penalty can be assessed during the pit stop, and Phil will record something with the team to inform the team and the viewer about the penalty. (We haven't had one of those in a long time, but that is how that has worked in the past.)
-- theschnauzers