Author Topic: Amazing Race Questions  (Read 1161387 times)

Offline sapphirepit

• RFF Jr. Member
Re: Amazing Race Questions
« Reply #675 on: December 10, 2012, 07:35:53 PM »
Can anyone provide detailed information on decoys?

Like how they run the race after they're eliminated, is it just teams that finish 6th or higher (or is it 5th)? Do they complete any tasks or just stand nearby? Are they just tossed into the city and just kind of run around far behind or in front of the other teams?

I know there was the editing issue where you see a previously eliminated team in the background of a challenge just watching.

Thanks y'all!

Offline Mug Costanza

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #676 on: December 10, 2012, 08:35:29 PM »

Like how they run the race after they're eliminated, is it just teams that finish 6th or higher (or is it 5th)? Do they complete any tasks or just stand nearby? Are they just tossed into the city and just kind of run around far behind or in front of the other teams?

I know there was the editing issue where you see a previously eliminated team in the background of a challenge just watching.

Thanks y'all!

When and where!?

TAR13, Leg 10. When Andrew & Dan are doing their Speedbump in Russia, you can see Kelly & Christy in the background during one of the shots.

And AFAIK, the first few eliminated teams are sequestered in a resort/villa somewhere near the location of the first few legs (nicknamed "Elimination Station"). Once they get down to 6 teams or so, the eliminated teams travel with production because by the time they would arrive at Elimination Station, they would have to leave to go back to the US for the Finish Line.

I don't think they'll actually have decoy teams running the legs until they get back to the US.
"I defy you to come up with a better name than Seven!"
"Alright... how 'bout Mug? Mug Costanza!"

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #677 on: December 10, 2012, 08:35:56 PM »

Thanks y'all!

The short answer is..........Yes, all of the above.

Normally, the first 5 eliminated teams...11th-7th are sent to a villa somewhere in the world to wait out the race. So teams eliminated 6th, 5th, and 4th end up being decoys. If they were sent to the villa, they would just end up getting on a plane pretty quickly to the end city, so they follow production. Some are used as decoys and then are sent ahead to the end city to wait for the finale. It really just depends on circumstances of a particular race.

In TAR13, Kelly and Christi were filmed, while watching Dan and Andrew doing a speedbump (I believe), in Moscow. The poor girls really got a raw deal, lol. Terrance and Sarah, eliminated 5th, had used their Russian visas to make flights from India to Alma Almaty. So they couldn't re-enter Russia and were sent directly to Portland, so no decoy work for them. Then Toni/Dallas (eliminated 4th) were stuck in Moscow when Dallas left his passport in a taxi, no decoy work. Production ended up using some of the other eliminated teams to do decoy runs in Portland.

In TAR15, the Globetrotters and one other team ran up and down the Strip as decoys. The Poker Girls did some decoy work in Estonia.
Matthew 7:15

Offline redwings8831

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #678 on: December 10, 2012, 08:51:58 PM »
Terrance and Sarah, eliminated 5th, had used their Russian visas to make flights from India to Alma Almaty. So they couldn't re-enter Russia and were sent directly to Portland, so no decoy work for them.

So what would've happened if Terrance/Sarah had made the final 4? Would've they had to get new passports during that leg?

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #679 on: December 10, 2012, 09:37:56 PM »
Terrance and Sarah, eliminated 5th, had used their Russian visas to make flights from India to Alma Almaty. So they couldn't re-enter Russia and were sent directly to Portland, so no decoy work for them.

So what would've happened if Terrance/Sarah had made the final 4? Would've they had to get new passports during that leg?

How long did it take the Rockers to get new passports and Russian exit visas?

American passports are easy to replace, especially on an emergency basis. You just go to the nearest American Consulate and get one. The problem is the Russian visas. You don't get them overnight. When Terrance and Sarah got on that flight to Moscow, to get to Alma Almaty, their race was over........whether they got eliminated in Alma Almaty or not.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 09:43:04 PM by DrRox »

Offline redwings8831

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #680 on: December 10, 2012, 09:58:55 PM »

American passports are easy to replace, especially on an emergency basis. You just go to the nearest American Consulate and get one. The problem is the Russian visas. You don't get them overnight. When Terrance and Sarah got on that flight to Moscow, to get to Alma Almaty, their race was over........whether they got eliminated in Alma Almaty or not.

Was this brought up in the show? I don't remember.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #681 on: December 10, 2012, 10:00:51 PM »

6 days

Leafsfan,

Just an FYI, but that is what is called a rhetorical question.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #682 on: December 11, 2012, 06:12:57 PM »

There was nothing wrong with Terrance's/Sarah's passports. Passports are documents issued by a country to verify the identity of their citizens. So they didn't have to have their passports replaced.

Visas are issued by countries to a person that would like to enter. There are many different kinds of visas. Tourists, business/commercial, student, medical, etc. For US citizens to go to Russia, a traveler has to have an entrance visa and an exit visa issued by the Russian govt., before you arrive in Russia. Visas are usually rubber stamped onto a page in a passport with pertinent dates entered. In the case of TAR13, it was a one time entrance and a one time exit. T/S used up those visas when connecting through SVO on the way from India to Kazakhstan. They, in effect, unknowingly had self-eliminated. If they had not come in last, I suspect you would have seen Phil give them the speech that he gave to Toni/Dallas later in TAR13, Justin/Zev in TAR 15 and the Rockers in TAR21. Since they came in last, Phil's speech wasn't necessary.

What kind of visa a person needs and how restrictive it is, is usually determined by treaty between the two countries involved. In the case of TAR, all racers give their passports to Production several weeks before the race begins and Production takes care of acquiring all the necessary visas. This is probably done by WRP production assistants walking the passports to the various foreign consulates in Los Angeles. Production also gets visas of other countries, that they will not go to, to keep the racers in the dark about where they will actually travel.

Offline SamualDude

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • YES.YES.YES
« Reply #683 on: December 11, 2012, 07:39:19 PM »
Hey I'm new here and I'm a TAR fan from New Zealand. I'm wondering if there is any word on a possible Amazing Race New Zealand? If there is, Do you think they'd manage to get Phil to host it?
It's Clobbering Time!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #684 on: December 11, 2012, 08:04:33 PM »
:welcome: to RFF SamualDude!

No word on a NZ franchise that I have heard... so far anyway!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #685 on: December 11, 2012, 10:30:38 PM »
So if Production handles the applying for visas, did every team have the visiting visa?

Offline couchracer

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #686 on: December 11, 2012, 10:32:47 PM »
I buy some of the the former seasons of tar. I wish they would include scenes showing some of the work of the sound and camera guys. I love the live sightings that show those guys in actionb.

Offline SamualDude

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • YES.YES.YES
« Reply #687 on: December 12, 2012, 03:11:32 AM »
:welcome: to RFF SamualDude!

No word on a NZ franchise that I have heard... so far anyway!

I'd imagine it'll come around soon since Australia has one :P, I wonder if Phil would host it or a different New Zealand celebrity.
It's Clobbering Time!

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #688 on: December 12, 2012, 09:01:19 AM »
Loire Valley to Barcelona must be a low train route.
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #689 on: December 12, 2012, 09:11:13 AM »
Why do you think producers went Netherlands - Spain - France as opposed to Netherlands- France - Spain in S21

Train is the same in the other direction. I would suspect it was the early arrival in NYC afforded by flying from Paris, as opposed to Barcelona or Madrid. There were 4 flights arriving @JFK between 12:00 and 12:45 pm from Barcelona/Madrid.......so the Paris flight gave production about +2 hours more daytime to film.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 09:26:53 AM by DrRox »

Offline ianthebalance

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #690 on: December 15, 2012, 10:14:07 PM »
Why do you think producers went Netherlands - Spain - France as opposed to Netherlands- France - Spain in S21

I thought it was to reach 25,000 miles :cmaslol

Train is the same in the other direction. I would suspect it was the early arrival in NYC afforded by flying from Paris, as opposed to Barcelona or Madrid. There were 4 flights arriving @JFK between 12:00 and 12:45 pm from Barcelona/Madrid.......so the Paris flight gave production about +2 hours more daytime to film.

I thought it might have been due to the speed bump too... but I wonder if the legs were switched if placement would have changed

Online RaceUntilWeDie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #691 on: December 16, 2012, 09:37:36 AM »
Where has each season's winner come from? (Talking in terms of what State has each winner come from?)

Offline alyssa11

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #692 on: December 31, 2012, 09:40:09 AM »
1. CA
Rob and Brennan
2.MA
Chris and Alex
3.NY
Flo and Zach
4.CA
Reichen and Chip
5.TX
Chip and Kim
6.FL
Freddy and Kendra
7.TX
Uchenna and Joyce
8.OH
Linz Family
9.Unknown but supposedly China
BJ and Tyler
10.CA
Tyler and James
11.NY and CA
Eric and Danielle
12.CA
Tk and Rachel
13.Ny and TX
Nick and Starr
14.CA
Tammy and Victor
15.CA
Meghan and Cheyne
16.RI
Daniel and Jordan
17.AK and CA
NATand Kat
18. IL
Kisha and Jen
19.IL
Ernie and Cindy
20.WI
Rachel and Dave!
21NY
Josh and Brent

I LOVE RACHEL AND DAVE! Represent WI!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #693 on: December 31, 2012, 01:44:50 PM »
Thanks alyssa!!

This cracks me up!:
BJ and Tyler

I might have said:
BJ (outer space)....okay, NJ!  and Tyler (CA)

:lol3:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline alyssa11

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #694 on: December 31, 2012, 02:25:01 PM »
Ll yeah. Wow that was a heck of a first ever post! I have lots of time on my hands.....  i have been reading this forum for a while now!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #695 on: December 31, 2012, 02:33:09 PM »
Ll yeah. Wow that was a heck of a first ever post! I have lots of time on my hands.....  i have been reading this forum for a while now!

Well, :bigwelcome and keep on posting!!  :xmas49
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline alyssa11

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #696 on: December 31, 2012, 10:35:27 PM »
I will try after new years will not be extremely active.

Offline Air

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • oh you speak french? oh man that's deep
« Reply #697 on: January 09, 2013, 09:13:19 PM »
What would happen if the Express Pass was used in an intersection task?

Offline airn10

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #698 on: January 23, 2013, 07:30:58 PM »
I have been watching all former seasons again and am curious as to how production comes up with the dollar amounts that teams are given at the beginning of each leg.

Why not $400 instead of $392?

This is just one of many questions in my head about TAR.

Offline ianthebalance

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #699 on: January 23, 2013, 07:39:29 PM »
The randomness of the amount is the beauty of it.