Author Topic: Amazing Race Questions  (Read 1161398 times)

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Amazing Race Questions
« Reply #375 on: March 20, 2012, 04:39:33 AM »
What i meant to say is that , if a season previously had 7 or 6 FF played on the race , they can easily have one planned for 6 or 7 legs on the new TAR's too.
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #376 on: March 20, 2012, 09:40:43 AM »
I am in agreement with the philosophy that more FAST FORWARDs would be a good thing. However, frequently World Race Productions wastes them, like in the past 2 legs where the advantage earned by Art and JJ was minimized to a very small time due to careful setting of pit stop times vs. train times by WRP. If that happens (and plane schedules are an even more likely equalizer), then all a FAST FORWARD does is lead to a first place team prize. I believe a team should get a real advantage for some longer period of time. 

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #377 on: March 20, 2012, 09:43:58 AM »
What i meant to say is that , if a season previously had 7 or 6 FF played on the race , they can easily have one planned for 6 or 7 legs on the new TAR's too.

No, they can't. They were given up for budget reasons once several went unclaimed, from what I understand. I think we will have to be glad with one, maybe two again someday.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #378 on: March 20, 2012, 09:47:27 AM »
I am in agreement with the philosophy that more FAST FORWARDs would be a good thing. However, frequently World Race Productions wastes them, like in the past 2 legs where the advantage earned by Art and JJ was minimized to a very small time due to careful setting of pit stop times vs. train times by WRP. If that happens (and plane schedules are an even more likely equalizer), then all a FAST FORWARD does is lead to a first place team prize. I believe a team should get a real advantage for some longer period of time. 

It also leads to that team gaining an advantage in their level of tiredness compared to other teams. They did not have to perform as many tasks, take as many taxi rides, etc. They should have a much lower level of physical and mental stress at this point than the others.

WRP cannot allow a team to continue to get farther and farther ahead or they could potentially arrive at locations ahead of Phil and the crews because Phil has to wait for the last team to arrive at the pitstop.
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline starrynight

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #379 on: March 20, 2012, 04:32:41 PM »
Where do you discuss the episodes here?  I know there is a spoilers forum but I think that is for speculation on what will happen and for sightings ahead of the episodes.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #380 on: March 20, 2012, 04:34:45 PM »
In the spoilers forum is a thread for speculation on each episode and on Sunday there will be a thread for the live viewing party.

Here's the one from last week: http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,26964.0.html

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #381 on: March 25, 2012, 03:07:10 PM »
What international versions of TAR are in English?

paldog123456

« Reply #382 on: March 25, 2012, 04:37:30 PM »

TAR Asia, TAR Australia, and TAR China Rush (the 1st season was all English, while the second season was a mix of Chinese and English)

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #383 on: March 25, 2012, 06:39:42 PM »

TAR Asia, TAR Australia, and TAR China Rush (the 1st season was all English, while the second season was a mix of Chinese and English)

As a bit of an explanation of how the second season of China Rush is mixed, the spoken Chinese is subtitled in English and the spoken English is subtitled in Chinese.

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #384 on: March 28, 2012, 06:37:13 AM »
Can a team that has a Speed Bump use a Fast Forward?

Also can a team use an Express Pass on a Fast Forward? It could have been possible this season. 

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #385 on: March 28, 2012, 06:38:17 AM »
Has there ever been a Fast Forward on a Speed Bump leg? I don't think there has.

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #386 on: March 28, 2012, 08:54:44 AM »

Also can a team use an Express Pass on a Fast Forward? It could have been possible this season.
As to the 2nd question, no.
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #387 on: March 28, 2012, 08:23:29 PM »
Has there ever been a Fast Forward on a Speed Bump leg? I don't think there has.

Just Curious

Why not?

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #388 on: March 28, 2012, 09:45:41 PM »

Just Curious

Why not?

1 . Fast Forward + Speed Bumb wouldn't work...
2. No they can't use the express pass on a fast forward , Peach already told us that.

Offline tarflyonthewall

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #389 on: March 28, 2012, 10:40:14 PM »
It also leads to that team gaining an advantage in their level of tiredness compared to other teams. They did not have to perform as many tasks, take as many taxi rides, etc. They should have a much lower level of physical and mental stress at this point than the others.

This is true. Up until this season, the last time a FF-winning team didn't also win the race was Ken & Tina in TAR13. That can't be entirely coincidental, especially given how grueling the FF legs (Dubai 1, Singapore, and Narvik) were.

TAR Australia. Richard & Joey shave their heads, then Sam & Renae burn their Express Pass in the same episode.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #390 on: March 29, 2012, 10:28:47 AM »
There's been nothing announced on the show that clearly says that a team with an Express Pass can't use it on a Fast Forward. So it is possible, but it's not clear that in all instances it would be wise to do so. If you are going to win the FF anyhow (as in only team to go for it) then you might as well hold on to the Express Pass for another time, unless there's some unusual circumstance.

As to the Express Pass being used on a Speed Bump -- wny would a team not have used the Express Pass on the prior leg to avoid being the last team to check in on the NEL? Assuming that a team did find itself in that situation, again, there been nothing I've heard announced on the show that would preclude this from happening, but it's hard to imagine a circumstance where a team would still have an Express Pass when they have to perform a Speed Bump. But from what I've heard in its current formulation, there's noting preventing a team from using their Express Pass on a Speed Bum.
Now there may be a detail teams are told that we haven't heard on the show, but that's something I can't answer to --  just what has been shown on air.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #391 on: March 30, 2012, 10:51:59 PM »
As to the Express Pass being used on a Speed Bump -- wny would a team not have used the Express Pass on the prior leg to avoid being the last team to check in on the NEL?

Well , let's think in Yogyakarta leg , TAR19.

Let's suppose Ernie and Cindy were the only ones that did not gived all the money at the orphanage. Their only option was run to the orphanage and come back . They could have been last . (ignoring other teams's times on the real leg)

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #392 on: March 31, 2012, 12:18:26 PM »
And there's another devious scenario, that it almost happened in the Leg 7 of TARLA3:  U-turn the team that won the Express Pass, in order to making them use it when the rivals teams want, and sacrifice the EP to bypass the other option of the Detour, so they avoid the chance to be eliminated   :ascared.

(In the Leg 7 of TARLA3, the team who won the EP didn't need to use it until the last task of that leg - the U-Turn was at the beggining, later followed by the RB, and in last the other task -, and skipped the elimination).
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 12:35:09 PM by Alenaveda »
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #393 on: March 31, 2012, 12:39:10 PM »
And there's another devious scenario, that it almost happened in the Leg 7 of TARLA3:  U-turn the team that won the Express Pass, in order to making them use it when the rivals teams want, and sacrifice the EP to bypass the other option of the Detour, so they avoid the chance to be eliminated   :ascared.

(In the Leg 7 of TARLA3, the team who won the EP didn't need to use it until the last task of that leg - the U-Turn was at the beggining, later followed by the RB, and in last the other task -, and skipped the elimination).

In TAR19 Leg 7 in Malawi, Ernie and Cindy used their express pass on a detour to avoid getting U-Turned.

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
« Reply #394 on: March 31, 2012, 02:14:01 PM »

In TAR19 Leg 7 in Malawi, Ernie and Cindy used their express pass on a detour to avoid getting U-Turned.

But they reached the U-Turn first, and wasted the EP no U-turning Andy & Tommy so they lost the leg anyway.
I'm talking about (and I'm gonna use Ernie & Cindy as an example) Ernie & Cindy in the middle of the boats Detour, and some of the other teams - Andy & Tommy, Jeremy & Sandy, Zack & Laurence, Bill & Cathy... - arriving first at the U-Turn, and using it only to leverage the odds with the rest of the teams, taking their advantage by the decission of the remaining teams, not Ernie & Cindy's.
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #395 on: March 31, 2012, 02:39:29 PM »

Not exactly. Cindy and Ernie had only 1 more leg in which the Express Pass was valid. They elected to use their Express Pass in leg 7 to go for first place. However, they screwed up in not U-Turning Andy/Tommy and then getting beaten by them.

Offline MCPorche

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #396 on: March 31, 2012, 03:06:09 PM »
So it is possible, but it's not clear that in all instances it would be wise to do so. If you are going to win the FF anyhow (as in only team to go for it) then you might as well hold on to the Express Pass for another time, unless there's some unusual circumstance.

Well, look at the last leg.  I wouldn't have been suprised to see Team Jersey Shore use the Express pass if they had it, knowing they were going to lose the FF.

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #397 on: April 08, 2012, 04:24:49 AM »
I remember that in the 20th season of Survivor there was a special episode reviewing the past nineteen seasons, having several memorable players and producers interviewed and finally paying a tribute to Jenn Lyon. Does CBS have any similar plan for TAR since it has also arrived at a 20-season milestone? :hoot: It'd be a pity if CBS doesn't.
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #398 on: April 08, 2012, 05:57:27 AM »
Not that I am aware of...

But I agree totally! That would be wonderful to see.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #399 on: April 10, 2012, 04:52:36 AM »
In S20 FBI team compete under the incognito of "kindgarten teachers." Is it the first time that a team didn't reveal the real identity to others? (I don't think similar things happened a lot on Survivor either. Russell Hantz did so on Survivor 19.)
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。