Author Topic: Amazing Race Questions  (Read 1161766 times)

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
Re: Amazing Race Questions
« Reply #350 on: February 07, 2012, 10:55:20 AM »
I have the impression, also, that CBS sometimes uses vidcaps from footage, just as we do on the promos. (Isn't the era of digital manipulation wonderful?)
-- theschnauzers

Offline Detoured

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #351 on: February 26, 2012, 03:47:56 PM »
The point I'm trying to make is that, for instance, married winning teams pay less taxes than other teams.

That's not correct. While married couples can apply the lower bracket percentages on greater amounts of income than single filers, it's not twice the amount of income (except for the 10% and 15% brackets). Therefore, two single people, each with $500,000 of income will get the advantage of having more of their total income taxed in several of the the lower percentage brackets than a married couple with $1,000,000 of income.

For example, the 35% tax bracket kicks in at the exact same dollar level ($372,950) for single filers as it does for married filers. That means that two single people can have a combined income of $745,900 before they hit the 35% bracket, while two married people will hit the 35% bracket when their combined income is only $372,950.

Using the 2009 federal tax brackets and ignoring all other income and/or deductions, $500,000 of taxable income for one single filer would have a tax of $152,684 (for a total of $305,368 between the two single people), and $1,000,000 of taxable income between two married filers would have a tax of $320,362... almost  5% more than the total tax of the two single people with $500,000 income each.

The current tax bracket system only favors married couples when one of the two makes substantially more (or all) of the income between the two of them, but when both of the married couple have similar income levels (like when they both win $500,000 each on TAR) they end up paying more taxes because they are married.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 04:09:44 PM by Detoured »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #352 on: February 26, 2012, 03:56:22 PM »
Wow!! Thanks for the info!!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #353 on: February 28, 2012, 06:29:57 PM »
The point I'm trying to make is that, for instance, married winning teams pay less taxes than other teams.

That's not correct. While married couples can apply the lower bracket percentages on greater amounts of income than single filers, it's not twice the amount of income (except for the 10% and 15% brackets). Therefore, two single people, each with $500,000 of income will get the advantage of having more of their total income taxed in several of the the lower percentage brackets than a married couple with $1,000,000 of income.

For example, the 35% tax bracket kicks in at the exact same dollar level ($372,950) for single filers as it does for married filers. That means that two single people can have a combined income of $745,900 before they hit the 35% bracket, while two married people will hit the 35% bracket when their combined income is only $372,950.

Using the 2009 federal tax brackets and ignoring all other income and/or deductions, $500,000 of taxable income for one single filer would have a tax of $152,684 (for a total of $305,368 between the two single people), and $1,000,000 of taxable income between two married filers would have a tax of $320,362... almost  5% more than the total tax of the two single people with $500,000 income each.

The current tax bracket system only favors married couples when one of the two makes substantially more (or all) of the income between the two of them, but when both of the married couple have similar income levels (like when they both win $500,000 each on TAR) they end up paying more taxes because they are married.

That's why no one gets married right before they go on TAR :lol: People like Meghan and Cheyne and Ernie and Cindy got married soon after.
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #354 on: February 28, 2012, 09:59:00 PM »
Anyone remember why the Istanbul legs were moved in season 5?

I believe, IIRC, there was either a terrorist attack blamed on the Kurdish separatist movement in Turkey, or some related issue related to the war in Iraq. I'd have to reconstruct the actual dates of filming and see what events might have been going on at the time. (I don't believe it was a natural disaster, although Turkey has had major earthquakes within the past decade, but my memory of the dates would be fuzzy attm.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #355 on: February 29, 2012, 10:43:04 AM »
Terrorist Attack
100% commitment makes everything easy
99% commitment makes everything hard

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #356 on: February 29, 2012, 08:16:10 PM »
I have a normal question,and a silly one ;P (actually both may be silly)

Normal (or silly) :

When the teams finish the race,they got to go home? Like...if they go home they can tell everyone how they did on the race...

Silly (yea,silly) :

Does somebody has a idea of why the American TAR loves to go to China and India so much?

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #357 on: February 29, 2012, 08:36:13 PM »
There's a five million dollar penalty for leaking. :) I think China and India are large countries with many things to do, pretty easy to travel into and get around in.

Offline kirby

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #358 on: February 29, 2012, 10:08:09 PM »
I don't know where to post this so ill ask here.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/extramustard/hotclicks/02/29/jordan-keali-jamie-edmondson-talks-relationship-with-evan-longoria/

This is an interview with Jaime Edmondson of Jaime and Cara from season 14.  TAR talk starts at 7:28.

She says they got $25,000 to split between them for second place.  Does this agree with or contradict any other info about the second place prize?  That seems like a pretty low for second.

Offline Theo

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • 2020 mood
« Reply #359 on: March 01, 2012, 12:14:52 AM »
There's a five million dollar penalty for leaking. :)

Didn't Eric tell Jeremy about his victory in Season 11?
TAR Jeopardy Revival: here

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #360 on: March 01, 2012, 12:33:14 AM »
I don't know where to post this so ill ask here.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/extramustard/hotclicks/02/29/jordan-keali-jamie-edmondson-talks-relationship-with-evan-longoria/

This is an interview with Jaime Edmondson of Jaime and Cara from season 14.  TAR talk starts at 7:28.

She says they got $25,000 to split between them for second place.  Does this agree with or contradict any other info about the second place prize?  That seems like a pretty low for second.

The most recent info that I've seen besides what you posted comes from a season 6 racer, and it's the same amount. I agree with you that it seems low, but I guess it can't be too high because they have to go around the world.

Now that I'm thinking about it, this show has got to be really expensive to produce. The first leg alone has >44 plane tickets to a foreign country. I wouldn't be surprised if they took the clue boxes to the scrap metal yard for some extra cash.

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #361 on: March 09, 2012, 05:21:34 AM »
Anybody tells me why TAR can hardly beat Survivor in ratings?
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #362 on: March 09, 2012, 09:45:13 AM »
SuperTux, TAR has beaten Survivor a couple of times in the past year....but remember Survivor once had American Idol like ratings numbers.
The big thing for TAR is that it usually is first or second for the night among all broadcast networks on Sunday nights, and that it remains a hit in certain high income demos, the ones ad buyers covet, as well as international sales of the show, especially the areas that simultaneously air TAR with its US broadcasts.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 09:37:43 PM by theschnauzers »
-- theschnauzers

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #363 on: March 09, 2012, 09:00:58 PM »
I'll echo theschnauzers sentiments, SuperTux.

Andy Dehnart brought this up before.  As big as "American Idol" was and is, the highest ratings "Idol" ever got was for the season 2 finale at around 38 million viewers.  "Survivor" had its highest of over 51 million viewers for its season 1 finale. 

I don't remember TAR ever breaking out of the teens.

Offline SuperTux

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #364 on: March 10, 2012, 02:42:01 AM »
I see. :) Best wishes for TAR, because Survivor 24 is facing a great problem now.
好像用中文做签名档会比较酷。

Offline Best Loser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #365 on: March 11, 2012, 12:49:16 AM »
I have a question. There are two racers, a cameraman, and a sound guy in each group. The racers wear microphones, so what does the sound person do? Sorry, I don't really know much about filming.

Offline Kamineko

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Pika Pika
« Reply #366 on: March 19, 2012, 09:26:41 AM »
I don't know if this question had been asked before. But, what if there is a team that still has the Express Pass with them, and then there is a Fast Forward task. Can they use the Express Pass to skip the Fast Forward task and go directly to the pit stop? :duno:
The Amazing Race: Design Challenge VIII - Game starts here!

The Amazing Race Japan - Sign up here!
*Postponed until after TAR:DC 8 finished*

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #367 on: March 19, 2012, 09:32:02 AM »
We don't think so....
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #368 on: March 19, 2012, 01:17:28 PM »
Hmm...I can see why you would think of that possibility, Kamineko. But then this season is the first season where we've have a Fast Forward show up when a team had an Express Pass.  Phil does say the EP can be used to "skip" (i.e., not complete) any task through the eighth leg of the Race, And the FF does involve a task.

I think its impossible to know the way both elements are currently described.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #369 on: March 19, 2012, 03:18:42 PM »
Hmm...I can see why you would think of that possibility, Kamineko. But then this season is the first season where we've have a Fast Forward show up when a team had an Express Pass.  Phil does say the EP can be used to "skip" (i.e., not complete) any task through the eighth leg of the Race, And the FF does involve a task.

I think its impossible to know the way both elements are currently described.

I think they can skip a FF with the express pass !

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #370 on: March 19, 2012, 03:20:47 PM »
I wonder if they purposely delay Fast Forwards now until the Express Pass team uses it.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #371 on: March 19, 2012, 03:46:53 PM »
They can't -- they have no way of knowing when or if it would be used, and FF's are complex and require MUCH planning. I expect these are set in stone like most of the tasks and plotted out months ahead.

Having that replica landing pad created was complicated and required a talented technician to create.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Declive

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #372 on: March 19, 2012, 03:58:43 PM »
They can't -- they have no way of knowing when or if it would be used, and FF's are complex and require MUCH planning. I expect these are set in stone like most of the tasks and plotted out months ahead.

Having that replica landing pad created was complicated and required a talented technician to create.

Well , but in the oldest TAR's they have a FF every leg...

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #373 on: March 19, 2012, 04:24:11 PM »
Quote from: Declive on Today at 03:58:43 PM

Quote from: georgiapeach on Today at 03:46:53 PM

Well , but in the oldest TAR's they have a FF every leg...

Here are the FAST FORWARDs for Amazing Race 1:
AR1
Ep.1—at Boiling Pot Victoria Falls there was a steep walk down to the edge of the Zambezi River.  Rob/Brennan beat Dave/Margaretta.  Taking the FAST FORWARD here was a big advantage for Rob/Brennan later in the race. They had used it and were ineligible, so they could focus on regular tasks without losing time considering FAST FORWARD strategy.

Ep.2—White Water Rafting on Zambezi River near Songwe Village, Pat/
Brenda

Ep.3— Paris Mariage Freres Tea shop, Kevin/Drew

Ep.7— search Ferrara Estense Castle moat, Frank/Margarita

Ep.9— Bangkok Reclining Buddha monastery, the famous confrontation of Joe/Bill versus Nancy/Emily; Joe/Bill won but squandered their lead, saved only by a 24 hour penalty to Nancy/Emily on reaching Krabi.

Only setting up who would judge and give out the clue was the requirement for Ep. 1, Ep. 2 Ep. 3 and Ep. 7. It is unclear whether any special setup was required for ep. 9 (I'll bet there was).  Even so, these did not involve the same level of sophistication as the helicopter FF task in the Lingotto Building.

Also, your perception that in the oldest TARs "they have a FF every leg..." is only about 50% accurate. My count of the FAST FORWARDs in the first 4 Amazing Races is:

AR1 5
AR2 6
AR3 6
AR4 7
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 04:28:47 PM by apskip »

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #374 on: March 19, 2012, 05:39:38 PM »
apskip, as one who counted and tracking the FFs while they were plentiful, they were available in those easrly seasons on every leg up to leg 11 or 12 (for 12 or 13 legs). The FF was not attempted by any team on about half of the legs, and in fact that half-time used pattern continued all the way until about TAR 13 or 14, when they became a once or none per Race feature.
While not all of the early FFs were shown or mentioned, interviews with Racers after each of those early seasons confirmed their existence. It is how we learned of the FF on the Rome leg of TAR 1 (which actually would have taken the teams to Vatican City), which IIRC came from Brennan.
-- theschnauzers