Author Topic: Amazing Race Questions  (Read 1165439 times)

Offline LandonM170

• RFF Sr. Member
Re: Amazing Race Questions
« Reply #2525 on: December 07, 2020, 12:10:09 AM »
This may or may not be a huge project to undertake, but I'm doing a just-for-fun thesis for an aspect of the race that has been covered lightly here, but not very in-depth until now since it's been itching at my brain since the Siem Reap leg Wednesday night.

Does anyone happen to know or own a list of how many tasks in numerical total there are for each U.S. season? Including active Route Infos, the works (Detours, Roadblocks, Fast Forwards), and Speed Bumps. I will credit your work in the thesis I will post on RFF's TAR Discussions.
I think I will take on this, I do have a question about the Route Info Tasks. What would you consider to be one, and not one? For Example, in S32 leg 9, before the second Roadblock they had to don sherwani outfits and travel by horse and carriage with a pair of socialites to their next clue. Would you consider this an Route Info Task or just something extra.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #2526 on: December 07, 2020, 09:01:17 AM »
This may or may not be a huge project to undertake, but I'm doing a just-for-fun thesis for an aspect of the race that has been covered lightly here, but not very in-depth until now since it's been itching at my brain since the Siem Reap leg Wednesday night.

Does anyone happen to know or own a list of how many tasks in numerical total there are for each U.S. season? Including active Route Infos, the works (Detours, Roadblocks, Fast Forwards), and Speed Bumps. I will credit your work in the thesis I will post on RFF's TAR Discussions.
I think I will take on this, I do have a question about the Route Info Tasks. What would you consider to be one, and not one? For Example, in S32 leg 9, before the second Roadblock they had to don sherwani outfits and travel by horse and carriage with a pair of socialites to their next clue. Would you consider this an Route Info Task or just something extra.
For active Route info tasks, I consider it anything more than simply picking up a clue or going to the Pit Stop from a certain location. So yes, the socialite carriage ride would be in the count.

Examples for more clarification using the recent episode: teams being told to pick up a clue at Psar Chaa Market, the Khmer Handicrafts workshop, or going to the Pit Stop at Angkor Thom is not considered an active task and should not be tallied in the count. However, the monk offering task at the floating temple, the hitching a tuk-tuk to a motorbike, actions requiring completion before receiving a clue from that Route Info should be in the tally.
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline LandonM170

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #2527 on: December 07, 2020, 09:39:30 AM »
The Amount of Tasks in Each Amazing Race US Season

Season 1
Leg 1: 4
Leg 2: 4
Leg 3: 4
Leg 4: 5
Leg 5: 5
Leg 6: 3
Leg 7: 3
Leg 8: 4
Leg 9: 3
Leg 10: 6
Leg 11: 3
Leg 12: 5
Leg 13: 4
Total: 53

Season 2
Leg 1: 3
Leg 3: 4
Leg 4: 4
Leg 5: 3
Leg 6: 4
Leg 7: 5
Leg 8: 3
Leg 9: 6
Leg 10: 3
Leg 11: 3
Leg 12: 4
Leg 13: 4
Total: 50

Season 3
Leg 1: 3
Leg 3: 3
Leg 4: 4
Leg 5: 4
Leg 6: 4
Leg 7: 4
Leg 8: 6
Leg 9: 6
Leg 10: 5
Leg 11: 2
Leg 12: 2
Leg 13: 3
Total: 50

Season 4 coming soon!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 07:47:03 AM by LandonM170 »

Offline cerealking

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #2528 on: December 07, 2020, 03:59:38 PM »
Guess this is a better place for this question, do we have any idea what their NDAs look like?

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #2529 on: December 07, 2020, 04:48:24 PM »
Guess this is a better place for this question, do we have any idea what their NDAs look like?

I seem to recall something being posted almost 15 to 20 years ago, but I can’t recall which CBS show it was for. And it wasn’t the NDA the finalists had to sign.
-- theschnauzers

Offline cerealking

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #2530 on: December 07, 2020, 04:50:18 PM »

I seem to recall something being posted almost 15 to 20 years ago, but I can’t recall which CBS show it was for. And it wasn’t the NDA the finalists had to sign.

So the finalists sign a different one?

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #2531 on: December 07, 2020, 07:11:01 PM »
Yes, and so do the semifinalists, IIRC.
-- theschnauzers

Offline cerealking

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #2532 on: December 07, 2020, 07:23:02 PM »
I’m just wondering if perhaps the NDA sunsets if the show goes a certain time period without completion.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #2533 on: December 08, 2020, 12:03:54 AM »
My guess is that the NDA doesn’t sunset before the show has aired. Cancellation of a season would likely mean no prizes get awarded since prize winners don’t get any prizes if the episodes aren’t aired.
It would totally depend on the exact language used and how words are defined n the agreements.
-- theschnauzers

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #2534 on: December 08, 2020, 12:08:00 AM »
Keep in mind that many tasks aren’t shown, including active route markers. The earliest known example is the cooking and eating an ostrich egg just before the pit stop in leg 1 of season one. There was no confirmation of that one until the DVD’s of the first season was released and it was included as bonus content.
-- theschnauzers

Offline LandonM170

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #2535 on: December 08, 2020, 07:33:58 AM »
Keep in mind that many tasks aren’t shown, including active route markers. The earliest known example is the cooking and eating an ostrich egg just before the pit stop in leg 1 of season one. There was no confirmation of that one until the DVD’s of the first season was released and it was included as bonus content.
I am going off the wikipedia pages of the seasons so most if not all of the unaired tasks are on there including that one.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2536 on: December 08, 2020, 09:44:23 AM »
I believe for that circumstance, unaired tasks like that and the Fast Forwards should be in the total count since it was a task when teams were filmed racing. But recorded or starred on a sidenote that it was unaired. (Example: TAR12's Lithuania Fast Forward should be counted although we aren't certain of the contents, but should be noted that it didn't make the final cut for the broadcast.) The ostrich egg task is one of the components I'm taking into consideration for the thesis so it would be helpful to note which tasks aren't aired and which ones made it onto CBS.
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #2537 on: December 08, 2020, 04:32:20 PM »
I believe for that circumstance, unaired tasks like that and the Fast
Forwards should be in the total count since it was a task when teams were filmed racing. But recorded or starred on a sidenote that it was unaired. (Example: TAR12's Lithuania Fast Forward should be counted although we aren't certain of the contents, but should be noted that it didn't make the final cut for the broadcast.) The ostrich egg task is one of the components I'm taking into consideration for the thesis so it would be helpful to note which tasks aren't aired and which ones made it onto CBS.

Seasone one, for the leg in Rome, had an unclaimed fast forward that was in Vatican City. Racers discussed it after the end of the season, but I don’t recall there ever being any official confirmation. That’s the sort of issue that is going to arise in that the only likely sources are post-season comments from Racers, and once in a rare while, from Phil, Bertram, or Elise. It was discovered many seasons ago that it’s nearly impossible to compile a complete list.
-- theschnauzers

Offline cerealking

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #2538 on: December 08, 2020, 06:29:13 PM »
Do they sign an NDA at the beginning and the end, I wonder?

Offline LandonM170

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #2539 on: December 08, 2020, 07:50:25 PM »
Forwards should be in the total count since it was a task when teams were filmed racing. But recorded or starred on a sidenote that it was unaired. (Example: TAR12's Lithuania Fast Forward should be counted although we aren't certain of the contents, but should be noted that it didn't make the final cut for the broadcast.) The ostrich egg task is one of the components I'm taking into consideration for the thesis so it would be helpful to note which tasks aren't aired and which ones made it onto CBS.

Seasone one, for the leg in Rome, had an unclaimed fast forward that was in Vatican City. Racers discussed it after the end of the season, but I don’t recall there ever being any official confirmation. That’s the sort of issue that is going to arise in that the only likely sources are post-season comments from Racers, and once in a rare while, from Phil, Bertram, or Elise. It was discovered many seasons ago that it’s nearly impossible to compile a complete list.
Ok thank you guys for the feedback, both S1 tasks unaired tasks you guys mentioned are included, and I will go back and mention if any tasks were unaired.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2540 on: December 08, 2020, 08:17:47 PM »

Ok thank you guys for the feedback, both S1 tasks unaired tasks you guys mentioned are included, and I will go back and mention if any tasks were unaired.
In this case, I believe the best option is to acknowledge the racers' judgment and include that as a tally for a task, but continue the denotations of it being unaired. (e.g. TAR12's Lithuania FF being only revealed because of Shana & Jennifer's post-season interview) We certainly won't know all the tasks they've put out on the course since season 1, but it would be great to see what there is compiled season-by-season.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 08:22:01 PM by RachelLeVega »

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #2541 on: December 08, 2020, 08:46:47 PM »

That Fast Forward was NOT in the Vatican City, it was to find a 'keyhole' where if you look through it you can SEE the whole Vatican City.

This was confirmed by Brennan on one of those old forums that isn't around anymore. In fact, Brennan confirmed all of S1's Fast Forwards except for the last two (Krabi/Beijing), though I think somebody else confirmed Krabi's? Not sure.
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline ianthebalance

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2542 on: December 09, 2020, 12:00:45 AM »

That Fast Forward was NOT in the Vatican City, it was to find a 'keyhole' where if you look through it you can SEE the whole Vatican City.

This was confirmed by Brennan on one of those old forums that isn't around anymore. In fact, Brennan confirmed all of S1's Fast Forwards except for the last two (Krabi/Beijing), though I think somebody else confirmed Krabi's? Not sure.

You can actually still find some archived forums of Rob getting info via wikipedia sources of the TAR 1 page

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #2543 on: December 14, 2020, 05:19:10 PM »
Do all teams get some kind of money/stipend/whatever just for appearing on the show?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #2544 on: December 14, 2020, 05:51:42 PM »
Yes.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline cerealking

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #2545 on: December 15, 2020, 04:40:57 PM »
Do all teams get some kind of money/stipend/whatever just for appearing on the show?

Yeah. It’s not a lot and they reimburse them for gear they paid for out of their own pocket.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #2546 on: December 16, 2020, 09:53:13 AM »

Yeah. It’s not a lot and they reimburse them for gear they paid for out of their own pocket.

Never heard the gear thing....   :duno:

And the exact $$ amounts are around here somewhere...
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2547 on: December 16, 2020, 10:08:24 AM »

Never heard the gear thing....   :duno:

And the exact $$ amounts are around here somewhere...
It goes up in increments of $500 starting from $1,500 from 11th to 4th. 2nd gets you $25,000, and 3rd gets you $10,000.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #2548 on: December 16, 2020, 02:28:04 PM »
Thanks Rachel! I was thinking 2nd and 3rd had increased but not sure.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline cerealking

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #2549 on: December 16, 2020, 10:43:30 PM »
33 filming getting delayed for at least a year has just got me wondering what kind of back up plan they have legally speaking. It's really crazy that they managed to get this far in without having something like this happen. The contestants are only on the show for one season so obviously they don't have a union or something so they may not have a lot of legal options but I wonder if their contracts have some sort of sunset on them. For example: if the season goes a certain time without filming or cancelled, they split the million between everyone.

CBS must have really tight NDAs because there’s never been a TAR contract that’s leaked. The closest thing I could find is that it’s apparently pretty similar to BB and Survivor’s and there’s a clause in those that say if the season doesn’t air, you don’t get paid.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 12:11:20 AM by cerealking »