Author Topic: Amazing Race Questions  (Read 1161490 times)

Offline Jimmer

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Amazing Race Questions
« Reply #2475 on: June 11, 2020, 06:28:48 PM »
2. Why in the earlier races were NELs near the end of the race normally. Still can't believe the first NEL in S3 was with the final 5, Feel like it loses some of the suspense at the end cause you know there will be all of these NELs, often back to back as seen in S3, 5 & 11

This is speculation, but I thought I read somewhere that it helps to reduce costs. Late NELs mean fewer teams late in the race which is cheaper to produce.

However, wouldn't it cost to have more teams in the race for more legs (more flights etc.).

Yeah that's why you put NELs late in the race. I think we are on the same page lol

Offline BritishTARFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2476 on: June 11, 2020, 10:05:18 PM »
2. Why in the earlier races were NELs near the end of the race normally. Still can't believe the first NEL in S3 was with the final 5, Feel like it loses some of the suspense at the end cause you know there will be all of these NELs, often back to back as seen in S3, 5 & 11

This is speculation, but I thought I read somewhere that it helps to reduce costs. Late NELs mean fewer teams late in the race which is cheaper to produce.

However, wouldn't it cost to have more teams in the race for more legs (more flights etc.).

Yeah that's why you put NELs late in the race. I think we are on the same page lol

I think they mean just get rid of NELs and have less legs.

Offline ZA-TAR-fan

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #2477 on: June 17, 2020, 07:20:19 AM »
Like they’d planned for teams to fly into Rome anyways so why not have a makeup leg there. Most of the tasks in Rome didn’t even require pre planning ie “Count the Spanish Steps”

Tasks like the "Sum the Spanish Steps" are common. TARUS 31 had teams counting steps in a minaret between 2 lines (Uganda) - alot simpler than "Sum the Spanish Steps". I enjoyed this task though for many reasons. It wasn't simple/straight forward. The teams had to do some investigation to find the place - those that left it to the taxi driver got lost - then you needed to figure out the Roman numerals (which caught a lotta teams out) - lastly the pit stop was a foot race away. The steps also had history and was visually beautiful to watch.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 05:10:17 PM by ZA-TAR-fan »

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2478 on: June 19, 2020, 05:54:46 AM »
I think they mean just get rid of NELs and have less legs.

Yeah. But NELs have a purpose, they sometimes keep interesting but weak teams like Sheri & Cole in the race, keeping viewers interested.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #2479 on: June 19, 2020, 06:38:08 AM »
Less legs means less episodes, which isn’t what anyone wants.
NEL legs serve a purpose of keeping teams guessing while racing, and the viewer too: when used correctly they allow a reasonable number of theams to remain competitive during the middle of the Race. I personally like the idea of the first leg being an NEL because it allows teams to adjust to the pace of the Race during filming and gives the viewer a better chance of getting to know all the teams during the first two legs. But that maybe just me.
-- theschnauzers

Offline stunami

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2480 on: June 19, 2020, 08:40:58 AM »
NEL legs serve a purpose of keeping teams guessing while racing, and the viewer too: when used correctly they allow a reasonable number of theams to remain competitive during the middle of the Race. I personally like the idea of the first leg being an NEL because it allows teams to adjust to the pace of the Race during filming and gives the viewer a better chance of getting to know all the teams during the first two legs. But that maybe just me.

I agree with you, Leg 1 should be NEL from time to time (maybe not every year because it would be less suspenseful) but the only NEL leg 1 I remember was TAR28 (in Mexico City) and TAR 19, thank god it saved Bill and Cathi!

Overall, I would always have a NEL in the first 3 leg, one in the middle, and the last one between F6 and F5 (A final four NEL is tooo obvious)

Offline NMC

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Formally nmccarroll91 🇮🇪
« Reply #2481 on: June 19, 2020, 12:02:22 PM »

I agree with you, Leg 1 should be NEL from time to time (maybe not every year because it would be less suspenseful) but the only NEL leg 1 I remember was TAR28 (in Mexico City) and TAR 19, thank god it saved Bill and Cathi!

Overall, I would always have a NEL in the first 3 leg, one in the middle, and the last one between F6 and F5 (A final four NEL is tooo obvious)

Seasons 18 and 15 were both NEL on Leg 1 as well. Although I can understand with Eric and Lisa being eliminated at the start you could argue S15 doesn't count.

Oz Season 2 is another one.

I totally agree too, I love when the first Legs are NEL because I prefer the race when there are more teams.
.... The World is Waiting! ....

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #2482 on: June 20, 2020, 09:06:17 PM »

Seasons 18 and 15 were both NEL on Leg 1 as well. Although I can understand with Eric and Lisa being eliminated at the start you could argue S15 doesn't count.

Oz Season 2 is another one.

I totally agree too, I love when the first Legs are NEL because I prefer the race when there are more teams.
If I remember correctly, Lucy & Emilia were saved because of the father-daughter team's Salvage Pass advantage, so technically, it was a predetermined elimination Leg had they taken the 1-hour head start.
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2483 on: June 20, 2020, 09:12:07 PM »
Also, does anyone know where "Elimination Station" was located in season 31? I came up with nothing. :duno:
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #2484 on: June 21, 2020, 02:48:36 PM »
With the financial realities of the TV business, I would hope they can consider a TAR12/13-style 11-Leg Race to at least save some money before just outright not producing a season at all.

An 11-Leg Race is better than no Race at all, I would imagine.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #2485 on: June 21, 2020, 06:00:54 PM »
Also, does anyone know where "Elimination Station" was located in season 31? I came up with nothing. :duno:

Greece.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #2486 on: June 21, 2020, 06:02:06 PM »
With the financial realities of the TV business, I would hope they can consider a TAR12/13-style 11-Leg Race to at least save some money before just outright not producing a season at all.

An 11-Leg Race is better than no Race at all, I would imagine.

I don;t think that is the issue...it is safety and locations that are available.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #2487 on: June 22, 2020, 08:09:18 PM »
Well obviously in the present situation.

I meant in general. Not related to COVID-19. Since the discussion was about less Legs/removing Non-Elim Legs, etc. Having an 11 or even 10 Leg Race shouldn't be off the table, especially if CBS will want to save as much money as possible.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #2488 on: June 23, 2020, 09:46:04 AM »
Well obviously in the present situation.

I meant in general. Not related to COVID-19. Since the discussion was about less Legs/removing Non-Elim Legs, etc. Having an 11 or even 10 Leg Race shouldn't be off the table, especially if CBS will want to save as much money as possible.

I get it. Haven't heard or seen anything along those lines though. I think the route will obviously be determined by safety. Once in a country I would think/hope tasks would be usual standards? Maybe we'll see more double legs in a place.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline fossil-racer

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2489 on: August 24, 2020, 04:38:41 PM »
May be random but can anyone list out all the seasons (US and international) of the races that filmed between the US 22 one and the US 33 one. Thanks!
Unearthing Prehistoric Spoilers since TAR Canada 2
Detail Analyst - TAR Canada is my favorite!

Online Xoruz

• RFF LInk Master!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2490 on: August 24, 2020, 06:10:55 PM »
May be random but can anyone list out all the seasons (US and international) of the races that filmed between the US 22 one and the US 33 one. Thanks!

US 22 (Nov—Dec 2012)
Norway 2 (Nov—Dec 2012)
Ukraine (Nov—Dec 2012)
Israel 3 (Jan—Feb 2013)
Canada 1 (May 2013)
Vietnam 2 (Jun 2013)
US 23 (Jun—Jul 2013)
Latin America 5 (Jun—Jul 2013)
US 24 (Nov—Dec 2013)
Australia 3 (Mar 2014)
Canada 2 (Apr—May 2014)
Vietnam 3 (May 2014)
Israel 4 (May—Jun 2014)
US 25 (May—Jun 2014)
Latin America 6 (Jul—Aug 2014)
China 1 (Jul—Nov 2014)
Philippines 2 (Aug—Sep 2014)
US 26 (Nov—Dec 2014)
Canada 3 (May 2015)
Vietnam 4 (Jun 2015)
China 2 (Jun—Aug 2015)
US 27 (Jun—Jul 2015)
Israel 5 (Nov—Dec 2015)
US 28 (Nov—Dec 2015)
Vietnam 5 (Feb—Mar 2016)
China 3 (Apr—Jul 2016)
Canada 4 (Apr—May 2016)
US 29 (Jun—Jul 2016)
Asia 5 (Aug 2016)
Canada 5 (Apr—May 2017)
Israel 6 (May—Jun 2017)
China 4 (May—Aug 2017)
US 30 (Oct 2017)
Canada 6 (Apr—May 2018)
US 31 (Jun—Jul 2018)
Israel 7 (Nov 2018)
US 32 (Nov—Dec 2018)
Israel 8 (Dec 2018)
Canada 7 (Apr—May 2019)
Vietnam 6 (May—Jun 2019)
Australia 4 (Aug—Sep 2019)
US 33 (Feb 2020)

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2491 on: September 05, 2020, 07:29:26 PM »
I've been saving up some questions I've been meaning to ask for the past couple of weeks. All of them involve more behind the scenes stuff.

- From any post-race interviews, have any teams described in detail how they spent their time for fun at airports and at Pit Stops that weren't shown on broadcast or in CBS extras? Since the earlier seasons, we've seen teams interact with each other during their 12-hour rests, and since then, the rules of the break period have changed and teams are isolated from one another. I've wondered what they usually do besides sleep, or if that is all they are allowed or choose to do during the Pit Stops now.

- What is the average distance of Pit Stop accommodations in relation to the Pit Stop in each leg?

- After the finale, is there a post-show reunion party before they pack up and head home or do teams and production leave after their iconic group photos (ending establishing shot in each season)?

- How long does it usually take production to have taxi drivers or strangers asked by teams for directions to sign release forms before they can leave their pickup point?

- (I'm sure this has been answered, but can't find anything about it.) How far in proximity from the Pit Stop are teams allowed to drop off their bags in order to successfully check in if they are required to travel on foot?

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2492 on: September 06, 2020, 01:37:33 AM »
This is a bit of an off-topic question, but anybody have any good ideas for a fast-forward in Shanghai for a fantasy race?

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2493 on: September 06, 2020, 10:55:05 PM »
This is a bit of an off-topic question, but anybody have any good ideas for a fast-forward in Shanghai for a fantasy race?
Maybe something like cleaning or descending the glass ball facade of the Oriental Pearl TV Tower. It's a really breathtaking site. Here's some nice photos of it.
Show content

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2494 on: September 07, 2020, 06:28:38 AM »
I've been saving up some questions I've been meaning to ask for the past couple of weeks. All of them involve more behind the scenes stuff.

- From any post-race interviews, have any teams described in detail how they spent their time for fun at airports and at Pit Stops that weren't shown on broadcast or in CBS extras? Since the earlier seasons, we've seen teams interact with each other during their 12-hour rests, and since then, the rules of the break period have changed and teams are isolated from one another. I've wondered what they usually do besides sleep, or if that is all they are allowed or choose to do during the Pit Stops now.

- What is the average distance of Pit Stop accommodations in relation to the Pit Stop in each leg?

- After the finale, is there a post-show reunion party before they pack up and head home or do teams and production leave after their iconic group photos (ending establishing shot in each season)?

- How long does it usually take production to have taxi drivers or strangers asked by teams for directions to sign release forms before they can leave their pickup point?

- (I'm sure this has been answered, but can't find anything about it.) How far in proximity from the Pit Stop are teams allowed to drop off their bags in order to successfully check in if they are required to travel on foot?

Sometimes you would stay at world class hotels, other times we slept in a tent, we slept at the Dhaka airport. If we were in a public place sleeping, people would watch us.

If you talk to someone, a local, during the race, you have to wait for the sound man to explain and get them to sign a release paper that gives the show the right to use that person in the show. Most people sign, but I think most have no idea what they are signing. Sometimes it takes a few seconds to do this, sometimes minutes

https://www.quora.com/What-goes-on-behind-the-scenes-of-The-Amazing-Race

Check out Gary Wojnar's Quora, it's quite informative.

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2495 on: September 07, 2020, 06:29:24 AM »
Maybe something like cleaning or descending the glass ball facade of the Oriental Pearl TV Tower. It's a really breathtaking site.

Thank you.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2496 on: September 07, 2020, 04:13:40 PM »

Sometimes you would stay at world class hotels, other times we slept in a tent, we slept at the Dhaka airport. If we were in a public place sleeping, people would watch us.

If you talk to someone, a local, during the race, you have to wait for the sound man to explain and get them to sign a release paper that gives the show the right to use that person in the show. Most people sign, but I think most have no idea what they are signing. Sometimes it takes a few seconds to do this, sometimes minutes

https://www.quora.com/What-goes-on-behind-the-scenes-of-The-Amazing-Race

Check out Gary Wojnar's Quora, it's quite informative.
Oh wow, TAR21! This is great info! I'm still curious if there is a reunion party after their group photo though.

Offline Blazhinho

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #2497 on: September 19, 2020, 12:57:34 PM »
I see this is the topic for questions and I have a whole bunch :D. So, let's start with these:

1. Is there any official connection between the movie "Rat race" and The Amazing Race?
2. How much is Phil involved in choosing prospective competitors, and who else does that?
3. What is the contract like the teams sign with TAR? What are the conditions and their main obligations? Do they receive some kind of fee during the race?
4. Can the provided money on the start of each leg of the race can cover all the basic expenses (food, water, etc) or is it just for transport, and TAR always provides the rest to the contestants?
5. What happened with the eliminated teams from Seasons 1 to 10? Was there Elimination Station, on they just went home before getting reunited at the finish line in the final leg?
6. Speaking of the Elimination Station, did it start in Season 11, and was it abolished after Season 17? It says "The first five teams eliminated were sequestered at a villa in Acapulco, Mexico to await the finale. Subsequently, eliminated teams telephoned to inform the teams at the villa of their elimination, but continued to run the Race as decoys to throw off spoilers to the final outcome of the Race. The sequestered teams met up with the decoy teams in the final destination city, to cheer the final three teams at the Finish Line." This is from Season 13. What does this for spoilers mean? I don't understand it at all. What did those 3 teams do?
7. What about Phil's Video Diary? I only managed to find it for Season 18.
8. I will repeat Rachel's question. What about the Pit Stops? Before, Phil always used to say "teams can eat, sleep and mingle with each other", something like that, and there were some scenes of it. Later, there hasn't been anything said nor emitted. Also, I noticed many times that Pit Stops don't always last 12 hours. Sometimes more, and sometimes less. Why is it like that?
9. What about the camera guys? Does each team have 2 of them who follow their every step and record every second of their activity? How does it work?
10. How does it work for the transport of Phil, camera and sound men and other staff? Who else is there, except them? Is there a special plane for all of them, leaving the current Pit Stop country soon as the last team checks in? In the last few seasons we could have seen Phil talking in the middle of leg and one or more teams racing just behind him.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 01:36:09 PM by Blazhinho »

Offline LandonM170

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #2498 on: September 19, 2020, 03:31:40 PM »
I see this is the topic for questions and I have a whole bunch :D. So, let's start with these:

1. Is there any official connection between the movie "Rat race" and The Amazing Race?
2. How much is Phil involved in choosing prospective competitors, and who else does that?
3. What is the contract like the teams sign with TAR? What are the conditions and their main obligations? Do they receive some kind of fee during the race?
4. Can the provided money on the start of each leg of the race can cover all the basic expenses (food, water, etc) or is it just for transport, and TAR always provides the rest to the contestants?
5. What happened with the eliminated teams from Seasons 1 to 10? Was there Elimination Station, on they just went home before getting reunited at the finish line in the final leg?
6. Speaking of the Elimination Station, did it start in Season 11, and was it abolished after Season 17? It says "The first five teams eliminated were sequestered at a villa in Acapulco, Mexico to await the finale. Subsequently, eliminated teams telephoned to inform the teams at the villa of their elimination, but continued to run the Race as decoys to throw off spoilers to the final outcome of the Race. The sequestered teams met up with the decoy teams in the final destination city, to cheer the final three teams at the Finish Line." This is from Season 13. What does this for spoilers mean? I don't understand it at all. What did those 3 teams do?
8. I will repeat Rachel's question. What about the Pit Stops? Before, Phil always used to say "teams can eat, sleep and mingle with each other", something like that, and there were some scenes of it. Later, there hasn't been anything said nor emitted. Also, I noticed many times that Pit Stops don't always last 12 hours. Sometimes more, and sometimes less. Why is it like that?
9. What about the camera guys? Does each team have 2 of them who follow their every step and record every second of their activity? How does it work?
10. How does it work for the transport of Phil, camera and sound men and other staff? Who else is there, except them? Is there a special plane for all of them, leaving the current Pit Stop country soon as the last team checks in? In the last few seasons we could have seen Phil talking in the middle of leg and one or more teams racing just behind him.
Well, I can answer #4 which is yes teams can buy anything they want with that money. Funny story Joey & Meghan from S22 and S24, on Leg 1 of S22 they were hungry and so the got Burger King and then they saw no one else getting food. It then click with them that they need that money for taxis or anything else like that. So, they said the food made them sick and they got their $20 back.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2499 on: September 19, 2020, 03:52:27 PM »

I can answer a few.

For 1) Apparently Wikipedia said Rat Race was sold off to Jerry Bruckheimer, the main producer and creator of The Amazing Race. (I'd take this with a grain of salt.) I remember going into Wayback Machine, an internet archive, a couple years ago and finding an artifact of the original premise of TAR asking for people to audition in a "global adventure series" with 8 teams instead of 11 in around 2000. He may as well have been inspired by the movie to make the series.

For 3) Here is a link to what the audition and release-waivers were like when they were searching for teams for TAR14: http://static.cbslocal.com/station/wwj/amazingraceapplication.pdf. It's since been completed all through The Amazing Race Casting's website now. Teams receive a stipend after their elimination episode airs depending on how many legs they run, accumulating I think between $1,500 and $2,500 for each leg they finish. And second placers and third placers get a substantial amount as well. I believe $25,000 and $10,000.

For 5) Yes, there were Elimination Stations that were called Sequestervilles. Just not filmed or put on CBS extras. In order of seasons: Paris, France (1); Cancun, Mexico (2); Lisbon, Portugal (3 & 4); Thailand (5); Cancun, Mexico (6 & 7); Gamboa, Panama (8 ); Lisbon, Portugal (9); Porto, Portugal (10)

For 6) The final 6's last three eliminated teams were basically pseudo-test dummies for tasks in the final leg and to attempt to throw off spoilers (aka us). I remember being here when TAR21 was filming and seeing pictures of the Twinnies and Abbie & Ryan running around NYC with pizza boxes in spoilers. They then reunite with the first five eliminated teams at the Finish Line once production gets word of the actual final three's plane arriving or whichever team gets into the city first. It truly doesn't work. lol

For 7) Phil's Video Diary was replacement content for Elimination Station. Season 13 also had this, but this and 18 were the only seasons that offered it on CBS' website. Might be because ES was either too boring to put out there or the footage was lost.

For 8 ) Sometimes flight frequencies out of the country is the reason why Pit Stops are shorter and time is money. I'm still curious what those teams can choose to do besides sleep during the Pit Stops though regardless of time. Can they go out and spend leftover leg money now (I remember seeing a clip of Dandrew heading out overnight to go convenient store shopping, but not sure about the current climate of this aspect.)

For 10) Gary & Wil's Quora interview below confirms that they have a security guy keeping tabs of the teams and film/audio crew. Phil usually arrives in the next leg's destination after the final team checks in. Sometimes teams just end up catching up to him and he has no choice but to ESPN-style it. Charla & Mirna actually arrived at the Maputo Pit Stop in All-Stars before the crew was finished setting up so they had to refilm them running to the mat.