Author Topic: Amazing Race Questions  (Read 1170673 times)

Offline NMC

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Formally nmccarroll91 🇮🇪
Re: Amazing Race Questions
« Reply #1725 on: March 05, 2016, 10:42:07 AM »
What happened to them? I haven't seen any of TAR Australia, but am interested. ;)

Firstly, You NEED to watch the Oz Seasons.  I'd go as far as say Oz Season 2 is possibly the best Season of any Race I've seen.  Definitely better than anything we've got from the US in years.

They ended up being arrested, although from what I remember, which isn't much coz it's been ages since I seen it, I don't think they did anything all that "crazy"? Did they not just stumble into the wrong place or something?  :lol:

I think Colin from Season 5 was in deeper with the law than Lucy & Emilia were?  ???
.... The World is Waiting! ....

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1726 on: March 05, 2016, 10:46:44 AM »
What happened to them? I haven't seen any of TAR Australia, but am interested. ;)

Firstly, You NEED to watch the Oz Seasons.  I'd go as far as say Oz Season 2 is possibly the best Season of any Race I've seen.  Definitely better than anything we've got from the US in years.

They ended up being arrested, although from what I remember, which isn't much coz it's been ages since I seen it, I don't think they did anything all that "crazy"? Did they not just stumble into the wrong place or something?  :lol:

I think Colin from Season 5 was in deeper with the law than Lucy & Emilia were?  ???

TAR Aus 2 is the best season I've watched and remembered quite clearly. :hoot:

On a certain leg, Lucy & Emilia drove to the palace grounds in UAE. They were arrested as a result, but were later on set free when they said they didn't mean to and they just wanted to go to some place.

The rest of the season, you have to watch it! ;) You'll learn from there why Lucy & Emilia is the luckiest team EVER!

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #1727 on: March 10, 2016, 10:41:51 AM »
Before the start of any season, are all the episodes of the season already edited and ready to watch, but just waiting for the airdates?

it totally depends. There have been seasons (TAR 5 and 6 in particular0 where episodes later in the season were not completed before the season premiere. In all instances,the post-production begins almost as soon as the first leg is completed. Bertram and Elise prefer that filming and post-production be completed before the premiere, but if a filming start is delayed or if the route and tasks on some legs require filming closer to the season air dates, then they will do that. It's one reason why the Race course was restructured after season 12 so that filming could be condensed in as few days as possible.
-- theschnauzers

Offline scruffs

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1728 on: March 15, 2016, 07:30:52 PM »
I’m just wondering, are detour options supposed to be balanced? For example, one may be longer but with the right skills can be easier, and the other one is shorter but requires luck? With this season, detour options were noticeably unbalanced, or that is the very essence of the clue, to make the better detour decision?
Chance favors prepared minds.

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1729 on: March 16, 2016, 08:54:51 AM »
I’m just wondering, are detour options supposed to be balanced? For example, one may be longer but with the right skills can be easier, and the other one is shorter but requires luck? With this season, detour options were noticeably unbalanced, or that is the very essence of the clue, to make the better detour decision?
There's really no rule about detours being balanced or not.
It's just that if it's unequal, it creates tension or drama, while it becomes fair if it is equal.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #1730 on: March 17, 2016, 12:57:25 PM »
Thinking back to the instances when teams were stalled while on transportation (e.g. TAR18's emergency landing in Honolulu en route to Sydney, TAR3 and 20's Cancun and Buenos Aires bus incidents), what would production do if a flight team(s) were on had to make an emergency water landing? Will they be given time credit, other teams and Race personnel have to wait, or worst-case scenario - production is cancelled altogether?
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #1731 on: March 20, 2016, 06:46:04 PM »
I have not seen anything in particular other than the contract does allow the season not be ever be aired, in which case, the teams would not receive any prizes they were to have won. The bona fide external emergency situation is one that is unclear. From what few aimilar instances I have seen, the production soes not take a pause unless necessary; as in last minute substitution of a leg due to civil, military, or natural disasters (which have occurred several times, including season 27 for leg 11). The first leg you are referring to, the race proceeded, and as far as I know, no time credits were awarded, that type of situation being one of the everyday risks of air travel.
-- theschnauzers

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #1732 on: March 20, 2016, 06:50:37 PM »
There's really no rule about detours being balanced or not.
It's just that if it's unequal, it creates tension or drama, while it becomes fair if it is equal.

There's never been a requirement that I have ever seen that both side of a Detour task be "equal" or balanced. Somethimes they're deliberately unbalanced, to force teams to do one of the two options (the greasy flagpole detour comes to mind) or the real challenge is to force teams to really consider the options and figure out which choice is easier to complete for that team.

The issue is most apparent when a leg is percieved as "linear," with few or no opportunities for movement in the placement order among teams.
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1733 on: March 21, 2016, 01:22:27 AM »
or natural disasters (which have occurred several times, including season 27 for leg 11).

Could you refresh my memory about this please?? ???
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #1734 on: March 21, 2016, 09:10:50 PM »
We started referencing the weather issues from the typhoons during filming in post 501 of the TAR 27 spoiler discussion thread, reply post 536, reply post 568, mention volcano in post 594, you mentioned this weather issue in post 597, a lot of discussion between July 10 and 13 on pages 22 to 27. Range in live sightings thread  You mentioned the weather in the sightings thread on page 10 post 231.
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1735 on: March 22, 2016, 01:44:03 AM »
Thanks!! I wasn't thinking weather I guess....
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline BritishTARFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1736 on: April 07, 2016, 05:40:08 AM »
I once saw someone say that racers can't fly airlines like EasyJet & Ryanair. Why is this they fly everywhere in Europe and they are so cheap. What also makes it strange is that on numerous occasions they have flown with AirAsia which is the Malaysian equivalent.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1737 on: April 07, 2016, 02:21:20 PM »
I have wondered that too and thought perhaps it was the carry on restrictions. The camera guys aren't going to be checking their babies.

Those airlines often cancel flights too...so :duno:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline BritishTARFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1738 on: April 07, 2016, 06:12:12 PM »
I have wondered that too and thought perhaps it was the carry on restrictions. The camera guys aren't going to be checking their babies.

Oh yeah I forgot about that  :(

Delays are frequent on RyanAir (The worlds worst airline) but EasyJet is quite good I fly with them a lot!

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1739 on: April 09, 2016, 11:56:04 AM »

Oh yeah I forgot about that  :(

Delays are frequent on RyanAir (The worlds worst airline) but EasyJet is quite good I fly with them a lot!
And Southwest Airlines too. Low-cost carriers are sometimes sneaky about baggage and carry-on prices. Though I have never had that problem flying with SW.

I guess TAR uses more internationally-based companies because it's easier to transfer between cities and, as what BritishTARFan typed, low fared flights aren't as dependable.
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #1740 on: April 10, 2016, 10:31:22 PM »
Unless the rules have changed, TAR's producer provided air travel cards pay for Y class which are capable of being used to change flights without the restrictions of low fare airline prices (which come with a lot of restrictions). The producers also have a blacklist of airlines based on safety and security concerns, as well as ticket restrictions; they also usually know which flight production needs to take to stay ahead of the Racers, and after all these years they presumably also know which airlines will cooperate with production.

The guidelines could always change, but until a Racer or production says something differently, we wouldn't know about it.
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1741 on: April 11, 2016, 05:32:47 AM »
Teams get one chance only now, they are no longer allowed to change flights.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline ianthebalance

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1742 on: April 12, 2016, 01:36:34 AM »

While that rule was mentioned in Season 25, Mike and Rochelle were able to get on an earlier flight to Nice in Season 26.

Offline BritishTARFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1743 on: April 12, 2016, 01:41:11 AM »

While that rule was mentioned in Season 25, Mike and Rochelle were able to get on an earlier flight to Nice in Season 26.

Both the flights were on Lufthansa so they were able to swap flights with out paying for a second flight

Offline toanglobal

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #1744 on: April 21, 2016, 07:54:57 PM »
Would any team allow to use the Express Pass(es) in intersection or face off task(s)?

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1745 on: April 21, 2016, 10:07:28 PM »
Was there ever a time penalty that was revealed but has never happened?

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #1746 on: April 21, 2016, 10:16:16 PM »

The 24-hour time penalty for not flying economy class was revealed in post-race interviews, but never applied.
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1747 on: April 22, 2016, 09:49:14 PM »
Using an Express Pass for a Fast Forward will garner a 4-hour penalty.

Offline Platrium

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1748 on: April 22, 2016, 09:58:29 PM »

I'm intrigued by that possibility. :ascared

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1749 on: April 22, 2016, 10:01:16 PM »

Where did you hear that?
RFF's Golden Rule: