Author Topic: Amazing Race Questions  (Read 1161248 times)

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
Re: Amazing Race Questions
« Reply #2150 on: May 30, 2018, 04:11:45 PM »
Has there ever been a pair of male and female twins on the race? I'm pretty sure there hasn't, but I could be mistaken...

Khai Shing & Khai Sheng, TAR: China Rush 3
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline BritishTARFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2151 on: June 12, 2018, 09:59:32 AM »
Why does TAR only ever utilise Narita. Surely it would be cheaper to use Haneda Airport especially when using Intra Asian flights, it's bigger than Narita and is located within the city centre, I understand Narita has more international destinations but Haneda serves so many destiantions multiple times per day, it would save money surely as teams don't need to pay for the expensive Narita Express.

Offline Leafsfan.

• TAR Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2152 on: June 12, 2018, 10:02:30 AM »
Why does TAR only ever utilise Narita. Surely it would be cheaper to use Haneda Airport especially when using Intra Asian flights, it's bigger than Narita and is located within the city centre, I understand Narita has more international destinations but Haneda serves so many destiantions multiple times per day, it would save money surely as teams don't need to pay for the expensive Narita Express.

They have used Narita in the past meaning the connections are there to get permitting done faster. If they used Haneda they would have to go through the whole process again. I would assume the familarilty as well. However, Haneda is so much closer and I agree with you.

Offline BritishTARFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2153 on: June 12, 2018, 10:50:07 AM »

They have used Narita in the past meaning the connections are there to get permitting done faster. If they used Haneda they would have to go through the whole process again. I would assume the familarilty as well. However, Haneda is so much closer and I agree with you.

Ahhh, So they have to get permits to film in airports, that makes sense. Is that why they like to start in LAX often or is that due to flight availability.

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #2154 on: June 13, 2018, 03:39:24 AM »
I believe it would be easier to get permits in the US for an American show, so the choice of LAX is probably just based on flight availability.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #2155 on: June 13, 2018, 04:06:25 PM »
Houston, Texas' intercontinental airport has a TON of international flights to all around the globe, even more direct options than LAX. But TAR has never filmed there before. I found these pages about airport filming permits and policies, so these might help everyone understand why L.A. is used frequently for The Amazing Race.

"With proper coordination the LAX Film Office is able to accommodate film production companies in almost any location at the airport as well as other LAWA owned properties. Productions are coordinated around airport operations with the least amount of impact to LAX tenants while allowing the film companies to obtain the shots they need. Locations include, but are not limited to:

Terminal 1, Terminal 2, Terminal 3, Terminal 4, Terminal 5, Terminal 6, Terminals 7 & 8 (interior and exterior):
Filming in terminals can include passenger holding areas and exterior gates, ticket counters, passenger boarding bridges, flight information display monitors, restaurants, and retail stores
Production companies may build their own sets in certain areas (e.g. to replicate TSA Screening or USCBP FIS areas)
Each terminal has certain restrictions –PLEASE CONTACT THE LAX FILM OFFICE FOR SPECIFICS
**FILMING OF ANY TSA OR USCBP AREA, PROCEDURES, PERSONNEL, EQUIPMENT OR SIGNAGE IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED**"
Source: http://www.losangelesairport.net/airops.aspx?id=1118

As this page suggests, LAX is probably quicker to get the paperwork filed because film companies have generally been based here and demand a spacious area to film big-budget projects so officials can quickly sign companies like CBS off as approved - not to mention the network has other shows they film at the airport. For Houston though,

"Production companies and other entities which produce non-news television programming including but not limited to "reality TV' shows, movies, commercials, training films, in-flight movie promotional spots, public service announcements, announcements, etc. must enter into a License Agreement with the Houston Airport System to film or videotape at any one of Houston's three municipal airports. The License Agreement calls for a minimum fee of $1,000 per day, per airport, to be paid by the licensee to film or videotape at Bush Intercontinental Airport, Hobby Airport or Ellington Field a minimum of seven (7) days prior to the start of filming or videotaping."...
Before the License Agreement can be signed and considered valid, proof of liability insurance coverage in the minimum amount of $1,000,000 must be provided to the Houston Airport System in writing. A certificate of the insurance coverage's limits must be attached to the application for a license agreement; otherwise the License Agreement application is considered null and void.
Source: http://www.fly2houston.com/newsroom/media-kit/video-policy/

They require a $1K deposit before the race begins and require a million dollar insurance quote even before the license agreement can go through. Those policies being head-on probably drove WRP away from filming there. Not sure if LAX has a similar policy, but the international airport in Houston isn't particularly welcoming toward filming permits.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 04:14:18 PM by RachelLeVega »
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #2156 on: June 13, 2018, 05:29:24 PM »
Houston, Texas' intercontinental airport has a TON of international flights to all around the globe, even more direct options than LAX. But TAR has never filmed there before. I found these pages about airport filming permits and policies, so these might help everyone understand why L.A. is used frequently for The Amazing Race.

"With proper coordination the LAX Film Office is able to accommodate film production companies in almost any location at the airport as well as other LAWA owned properties. Productions are coordinated around airport operations with the least amount of impact to LAX tenants while allowing the film companies to obtain the shots they need. Locations include, but are not limited to:

Terminal 1, Terminal 2, Terminal 3, Terminal 4, Terminal 5, Terminal 6, Terminals 7 & 8 (interior and exterior):
Filming in terminals can include passenger holding areas and exterior gates, ticket counters, passenger boarding bridges, flight information display monitors, restaurants, and retail stores
Production companies may build their own sets in certain areas (e.g. to replicate TSA Screening or USCBP FIS areas)
Each terminal has certain restrictions –PLEASE CONTACT THE LAX FILM OFFICE FOR SPECIFICS
**FILMING OF ANY TSA OR USCBP AREA, PROCEDURES, PERSONNEL, EQUIPMENT OR SIGNAGE IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED**"
Source: http://www.losangelesairport.net/airops.aspx?id=1118

As this page suggests, LAX is probably quicker to get the paperwork filed because film companies have generally been based here and demand a spacious area to film big-budget projects so officials can quickly sign companies like CBS off as approved - not to mention the network has other shows they film at the airport. For Houston though,

"Production companies and other entities which produce non-news television programming including but not limited to "reality TV' shows, movies, commercials, training films, in-flight movie promotional spots, public service announcements, announcements, etc. must enter into a License Agreement with the Houston Airport System to film or videotape at any one of Houston's three municipal airports. The License Agreement calls for a minimum fee of $1,000 per day, per airport, to be paid by the licensee to film or videotape at Bush Intercontinental Airport, Hobby Airport or Ellington Field a minimum of seven (7) days prior to the start of filming or videotaping."...
Before the License Agreement can be signed and considered valid, proof of liability insurance coverage in the minimum amount of $1,000,000 must be provided to the Houston Airport System in writing. A certificate of the insurance coverage's limits must be attached to the application for a license agreement; otherwise the License Agreement application is considered null and void.
Source: http://www.fly2houston.com/newsroom/media-kit/video-policy/

They require a $1K deposit before the race begins and require a million dollar insurance quote even before the license agreement can go through. Those policies being head-on probably drove WRP away from filming there. Not sure if LAX has a similar policy, but the international airport in Houston isn't particularly welcoming toward filming permits.

Since all the airport wants is a quote for the $1 million policy, that costs little; and the premium is likely to be far lower than you might expect. I'm sure there are ways to adapt to TAR's filming schedule, especially for a first or final leg.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Piper

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #2157 on: June 13, 2018, 06:55:56 PM »
General liability insurance is standard commercial coverage for any business.  Likely the airport is asking for a certificate of insurance naming the airport as additional insured on the production company's liability policy.  The production company requests the certificate from insurance company who issues the certificate with an additional premium bill rate specific for that request (on top of the annual billing for liability coverage).  At the end of the annual coverage period all billings are audited and reconciled based on estimates made at previous renewal. This then sets the bill rate for the next renewal period, and it cycles again.

The airports probably request the same certificate of liability insurance from every vendor doing business on the airport property - same would apply to worker's compensation coverage (billed on labor costs).  This in turn reduces or offsets the airports own bill rate for the insurance coverage as they will need to provide the certificates at renewal or their coverage bill rate goes up.

This is a standard clause of any Federal, State, County and City contract with general coverage certificates turned in with proposals/bids/permits.

The airport selection is more likely based on logistics and business relationships.

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
« Reply #2158 on: June 13, 2018, 09:14:05 PM »
Who else didn't know that your need permits to film?  :funny:

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #2159 on: June 15, 2018, 09:46:38 AM »
General liability insurance is standard commercial coverage for any business.  Likely the airport is asking for a certificate of insurance naming the airport as additional insured on the production company's liability policy.  The production company requests the certificate from insurance company who issues the certificate with an additional premium bill rate specific for that request (on top of the annual billing for liability coverage).  At the end of the annual coverage period all billings are audited and reconciled based on estimates made at previous renewal. This then sets the bill rate for the next renewal period, and it cycles again.

The airports probably request the same certificate of liability insurance from every vendor doing business on the airport property - same would apply to worker's compensation coverage (billed on labor costs).  This in turn reduces or offsets the airports own bill rate for the insurance coverage as they will need to provide the certificates at renewal or their coverage bill rate goes up.

This is a standard clause of any Federal, State, County and City contract with general coverage certificates turned in with proposals/bids/permits.

The airport selection is more likely based on logistics and business relationships.
Makes sense. Is this liability insurance coverage also instated for foreign countries' airports or does something else substitute it? I would assume all airports would share the same commercial usage "handbook" for these situations. I'm fascinated with this.
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #2160 on: June 15, 2018, 09:48:39 AM »
Each airport has their own requirements and fees.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #2161 on: June 15, 2018, 10:58:55 AM »
The mechanics for obtaining coverage to meet a third party requirement to prove that the third party is covered for a specific event is quite standard throughout the industry on a global basis. (Know this from my various an experience with aviation events in the past.) There's usually a small premium involved to temporarily add a third party as an insured, but it is quite standard.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2162 on: June 15, 2018, 11:10:41 AM »
I remember something being mentioned in a news article about TAR Canada's Beijing visit last season, they had to pay a security deposit and agree that all equipment would be taken with them.

Wonder if this is along the same lines as what you guys are talking about.

Offline Lemontail

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2163 on: June 19, 2018, 09:48:50 AM »
Just wondering, is Lebanon, Jordan, Algeria, and Tunisia safe for TAR to go there?

Hopefully, in my lifetime, if possible, I can see TAR going to Socotra Island in Yemen.
"I will not not be rich" - Renata Klein on Big Little Lies

Online stunami

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2164 on: June 19, 2018, 11:39:47 AM »
Got a question:

Which city (and not country) was the most visited by the US version?
What I mean in visited is not the #leg, but visit. Aka if they did two legs in a row to the same city, it counts as 1 visit.

I would guess Tokyo or Bangkok!

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2165 on: June 19, 2018, 01:38:49 PM »
Aside from Los Angeles lol, I believe it's *just* Bangkok with six visits (1-2-9-14-19-26). Amsterdam may fit as well as teams fly into and/or out of Schipol airport every time (4-12-15-21-26-27).

Offline nrh2110

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #2166 on: June 19, 2018, 01:53:23 PM »
Just wondering, is Lebanon, Jordan, Algeria, and Tunisia safe for TAR to go there?

Hopefully, in my lifetime, if possible, I can see TAR going to Socotra Island in Yemen.

Pretty sure the others are, but definitely not Algeria. Big travel warning for American cotizens due to kidnappings. That, and also, its really hard for US citizens to get visas to go.

Offline Palperro

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • aka Paldog aka Paldog123456
« Reply #2167 on: June 19, 2018, 03:10:44 PM »

Pretty sure the others are, but definitely not Algeria. Big travel warning for American cotizens due to kidnappings. That, and also, its really hard for US citizens to get visas to go.

Tunisia isn't happening anytime soon unfortunately.
Por ti volaré

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #2168 on: June 19, 2018, 03:47:27 PM »
Jordan nor Lebanon would be safe for visible group of Americans due to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and the presence of groups like Hezbollah. Might be safer for nationals of other countries, but not Americans.
-- theschnauzers

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #2169 on: June 19, 2018, 05:37:45 PM »
Jordan nor Lebanon would be safe for visible group of Americans due to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and the presence of groups like Hezbollah. Might be safer for nationals of other countries, but not Americans.

TAR Australia openly and comfortably had an airport layover in Jordan where the teams lazily relaxed, so for them it's not out of the question.
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Online Xoruz

• RFF LInk Master!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2170 on: June 19, 2018, 05:43:22 PM »

TAR Australia openly and comfortably had an airport layover in Jordan where the teams lazily relaxed, so for them it's not out of the question.

Jordan is pretty safe, I know multiple friends who've traveled there regularly. (Listed as 2 on State Department website)
Lebanon isn't as safe not due to to Israeli-Palestinian conflict but rather the proximity to the Syrian civil war. (3)
Tunisia & Algeria are not likely choices anytime soon. (Both 2 but still unlikely)

Offline BourkieBoy

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2171 on: June 19, 2018, 09:49:47 PM »

Jordan is safe.

I wanna see Lebanon, however five Australians were kidnapped there a few years ago, so IDK if TAR wants to take the risk.

I don't see how Tunisia is so bad? What's going on there? ???

Algeria won't happen anytime soon...

And Yemen. Well........

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2172 on: June 19, 2018, 09:51:01 PM »
Tunisia's not the same place it was in 2001, Joe & Bill once said on a RHAP podcast. They're pretty avid world travelers, so they'd know.

Offline Lemontail

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2173 on: June 20, 2018, 02:28:28 AM »
Okay, then what about Cyprus, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan?
"I will not not be rich" - Renata Klein on Big Little Lies

Offline BourkieBoy

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2174 on: June 20, 2018, 02:35:05 AM »
Okay, then what about Cyprus, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan?

I believe that they all safe for TAR to visit....