Archive > The Amazing Race 18 Spoilers and Speculation

TAR 18: Ep 2 "I Never Looked So Foolish in My Whole Entire Life" (Outback)

<< < (2/52) > >>

georgiapeach:

--- Quote from: theschnauzers on February 14, 2011, 09:18:27 PM ---I think this is the first time the episode title reference to geography (since CBS began using it) has been to a part of a country and not just the country.  But it sort of confirms what we knew from the first two-three days of filming, so it's not a major deal.

--- End quote ---

georgiapeach:

--- Quote from: BayBay on February 14, 2011, 09:32:53 PM ---The term 'outback' is used by Australians to define a non-urban area, therefore any city other than Sydney/Melbourne etc. can be classed as in the 'outback.'

Wikipedia said - The Outback is the remote arid areas of Australia, although the term colloquially can refer to any lands outside of the main urban areas. The term "the outback" is generally used to refer to locations that are comparatively more remote than those areas deemed "the bush".

--- End quote ---

georgiapeach:
Sorry guys...for technical reasons I had to do some reorganizing.

If you would like to repost your original comments, that would be great! And I'll delete my quoted ones...

Coutzy:

--- Quote from: BayBay on February 14, 2011, 09:32:53 PM ---The term 'outback' is used by Australians to define a non-urban area, therefore any city other than Sydney/Melbourne etc. can be classed as in the 'outback.'

Wikipedia said - The Outback is the remote arid areas of Australia, although the term colloquially can refer to any lands outside of the main urban areas. The term "the outback" is generally used to refer to locations that are comparatively more remote than those areas deemed "the bush".

--- End quote ---

This is correct. I wouldn't class the location of Survivor 2 to be "Outback" due to the amount of bushland in the area.

Generally speaking, the Outback is the desert areas.

apskip:
This is a note on what defines the Outback, because I would have thought that Broken Hill as a mining town is not part of the desert that I had understood the Outback to be until I researched it and found that I was incorrect. Here is one Australian Outback expert's view of what is included:

OUTBACK ATTRACTIONS

* Ayers Rock/Uluru
    * Kings Canyon
    * Kakadu National Park
    * Litchfield National Park
    * Nitmiluk/Katherine Gorge

OUTBACK CITIES/TOWNS

* Darwin ( I would not include Darwin in my definition since it is a tropical region with lots of precipitation)
    * Alice Springs
    * Coober Pedy

Tourism Australia includes these 6 must-see sights (one in each of the 6 territories of Australia excluding Tasmania) as part of its more inclusive definition of what constitutes the Outback:

1. Flinders Ranges, South Australia - Take a scenic flight and see the monumental splendor of the rock basin of Wilpena Pound roll out beneath you, then explore the legendary waterholes of the Flinders Ranges. See Aboriginal art at Arkaroo Rock and explore the area’s pastoral history at Wilpena Pound Station. Afterwards, head to a friendly pub and taste-test some of the area’s famous bush tucker while swapping stories with the locals.

2. Longreach, Queensland - Join a campfire and hear the poetry of the outback people at the spiritual homeland of the Aussie ‘bushy’. Here you can learn about the history of the outback and the people who call it home at the Stockman’s Hall of Fame. Home of the world’s first flying surgeon and the birthplace of our national airline Qantas, there’s much to do in and around this legendary outback town.

3. Broken Hill, New South Wales - Discover distinctive desert landscapes and an oasis of lakes around the former mining town known as Silver City. Once the world’s largest silver, lead and zinc mine, Broken Hill is now famous for its artists, who draw inspiration from the clear light and expansive vistas. Take a sunset stroll around the Living Desert Sculptures, watch birds around Menindee Lakes and do a radio lesson in the world’s largest virtual classroom at the School of the Air.

4. Glen Helen Gorge, Northern Territory - After trekking through the MacDonnell Ranges, you’ll be overjoyed to reach the broad, cool waterhole of Glen Helen Gorge. This permanent waterhole is a sanctuary for the Finke River’s nine species of fish and migrating waterbirds. Dive in for a refreshing swim then pitch your tent under the stars. You might even spot a black-footed rock wallaby.

5. Kununurra, Western Australia - Explore ridges and ranges 350 million years old and see where rare pink diamonds are mined. Jump on a bull at the local rodeo, catch a huge barramundi or join the crowds at an outback horse race. Dine on mud crab in remote camp restaurants and marvel at the vast and magnificent Lake Argyle. However you experience this diverse region, you can bet you won’t forget it.

6. Mildura, Victoria - This vibrant outback oasis on the Murray River is renowned for its endless sunshine, picturesque vineyards and ancient lunar landscapes. Explore Aboriginal culture in the sand dunes of Lake Mungo or in the sublime World Heritage-listed Willandra Lakes. Dine at award-winning restaurants or cruise past wineries on a house boat or historic paddle steamer. See rugged outback scenery and stunning sunsets from a hot air balloon or tackle them on a four wheel drive.

So Tourism Australia considers Broken Hill to be part of the Outback and most entries when you browse for "Broken Hill" will categorize it as part of the Outback.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version