Author Topic: TARcon  (Read 13196 times)

Offline Oddarane

• RFF Full Member
  • Scandinavian Minister for the Amazing Race
TARcon
« on: December 12, 2010, 06:04:36 PM »
Since I'm quite new here and don't know everything about TAR, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what TARcon is - how often it is - what ppl are doing there etc.

With gratitude.

(Sorry for asking this stupid question)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 06:10:12 PM by Oddarane »
\\\\\\\"The world is waiting for you. Good luck - travel safe - GO! - Phil Keoghan

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
Re: TARcon
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 06:39:29 PM »
There are no stupid questions.  :reindeer

Fans and racers get together in NY to watch the finale and meet and greet with each other. A TAR convention if you will. I've never been to one but I'd like to go just once.  :cmas16
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline Oddarane

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 06:43:45 PM »
Thanks for your help. That sounds like fun, hope I get to go once.

One more thing: Is TARcon being held over several days; if so - how many days?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 06:48:39 PM by Oddarane »
\\\\\\\"The world is waiting for you. Good luck - travel safe - GO! - Phil Keoghan

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 07:04:30 PM »
TARcon itself is held during the night of the finale episode, and usually goes for a few hours after, especially as current and former Racers arrive after the show ends.

Some folks who attend TARcon organize other get-togethers, but the event itself is only that one evening. (It started with season one, btw.) It's been at its current venue for several years now (spring and fall), there was a time it changed location in Manhattan as it continued to grow.
-- theschnauzers

Offline MamaT

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 08:35:17 PM »
I was wondering if anyone could tell me what TARcon is

TARCon is a fabulous celebration of TAR amongst true fans of the show.  It really is a blast to spend time with other people that enjoy the show a much as you do. Lots of great discusions and laughs.  I just returned from my 4th TARCon and they keep getting more fun.I went to ky first one  knowing no one, and now I have made some great friends and people I really look forward to seeing twice a year.

I highly recommend that everyone should attend at least one TARCon if they can!

Offline GreenNegg

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 09:15:02 PM »
Hope to see your pictures from TARCON17 soon, MamaT!

Offline MamaT

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 10:05:55 PM »

Soon, I promise.  But first I must catch up on my sleep, as it was in short supply over the weekend. There was much too fun to be had to sleep  :cmaslol   (or perhaps more accuartely  :cmas26)  Tomorrow I will get my pics up as well as a few stories if anyones interested.  Specifically I spoke to many racers (and their families) about RFF and their thoughts and comments were pretty cool.

Offline Ruth

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • With all your heart!
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 06:08:27 AM »

Soon, I promise.  But first I must catch up on my sleep, as it was in short supply over the weekend. There was much too fun to be had to sleep  :cmaslol   (or perhaps more accuartely  :cmas26)  Tomorrow I will get my pics up as well as a few stories if anyones interested.  Specifically I spoke to many racers (and their families) about RFF and their thoughts and comments were pretty cool.

Yes, definitely interested! Hope to hear these great stories from you :)
TAR 26: Hayley and Blair` Mike and Rochelle` Jelani and Jenny`
Survivor 30: Jenn` Joe` Hali` Sierra`
AI 14: Jax` Clark` Joey`

Offline Oddarane

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 11:57:57 AM »

Sounds like you had a great time. Did you meet Kevin&Michael and Phil? K&M was my fav. team.

Offline AmazingRace

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yup, we didn't win. Damn.
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 12:02:00 PM »
Sounds like you had a great time. Did you meet Kevin&Michael and Phil? K&M was my fav. team.

Not wanting to be a party pooper, but I don't think Michael & Kevin attended TARcon, since Kevin has some personal things to settle. (is what I hear.)  :cmas17

Offline Oddarane

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 12:12:49 PM »
TARCon is a fabulous celebration of TAR amongst true fans of the show.  It really is a blast to spend time with other people that enjoy the show a much as you do. Lots of great discusions and laughs.  I just returned from my 4th TARCon and they keep getting more fun.I went to ky first one  knowing no one, and now I have made some great friends and people I really look forward to seeing twice a year.

I highly recommend that everyone should attend at least one TARCon if they can!

I really hope I get to attend a TARcon once, it would be so nice to meet others who are such a big fan of the show in person. None of my friends are TAR fans, so I have no one I can discuss the show except for here.

I also want to share something embarrassing that happened to me in April. I was going to be a lead singer on a song. A phrase in that song goes like this: "Fill me with you spirit, your amazing grace. Keep me safely in your arms, till I meet you face to face". I was singing: "Fill me with you spirit, your amazing race. Keep me safely in your arms till I meet you in that race....." I didn't notice it myself, but everyone else did hear it and made me aware of it....  :cmas19

Offline AmazingRace

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Yup, we didn't win. Damn.
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 12:17:17 PM »
I also want to share something embarrassing that happened to me in April. I was going to be a lead singer on a song. A phrase in that song goes like this: "Fill me with you spirit, your amazing grace. Keep me safely in your arms, till I meet you face to face". I was singing: "Fill me with you spirit, your amazing race. Keep me safely in your arms till I meet you in that race....." I didn't notice it myself, but everyone else did hear it and made me aware of it....  :cmas19

Haha! Awww..  :cmas16 Could use that song as background music!  :cmas22

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't wanna go to heaven without raising hell. ♥
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2010, 07:15:54 AM »
TARcon sounds so cool! I'm so far away in Australia, but when I'm older, I'll make sure I book a flight to New York at the right time of year!

I have a few friends who watch TAR from time to time, but none who are addicted to the show like myself. I can't imagine being in the same room as people who love the race as much as I do!

It sounds fun, and I am extremely envious of those who went this year or have gone in the past! :cmas32: :cmaslol :kisses
I'd rather walk alone than let them throw dirty confetti. ♥

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2010, 10:20:24 AM »
TARcon sounds so cool! I'm so far away in Australia, but when I'm older, I'll make sure I book a flight to New York at the right time of year!

I have a few friends who watch TAR from time to time, but none who are addicted to the show like myself. I can't imagine being in the same room as people who love the race as much as I do!

It sounds fun, and I am extremely envious of those who went this year or have gone in the past! :cmas32: :cmaslol :kisses

If you can manage, I would suggest the one in May....it's much warmer. They will have the check presentation outside on the plaza and you can see that as well.
Matthew 7:15

Offline Prophet

• TarKonian Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ∞∞
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2010, 03:54:33 PM »
There are a handful of TARcon photos on flickr!
Physics alone is not enough.

Those who forget history are sure to repeat it.

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't wanna go to heaven without raising hell. ♥
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2010, 06:33:47 PM »

If you can manage, I would suggest the one in May....it's much warmer. They will have the check presentation outside on the plaza and you can see that as well.

Cool, I'll try in 2012 or 2013 after I finish school next year! It really sounds like an awesome event! :cmas16
I'd rather walk alone than let them throw dirty confetti. ♥