Author Topic: Previous TAR Seasons Discussions  (Read 392980 times)

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
Re: Previous TAR Seasons Discussions
« Reply #700 on: October 08, 2018, 02:38:49 PM »
Don’t forget in TAR 6 in Hungary, teams used an Internet cafe for the first time to retrieve their next route marker. It was also the midpoint of the first ever uberleg/double length leg.
-- theschnauzers

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #701 on: October 10, 2018, 08:59:58 PM »
Don’t forget in TAR 6 in Hungary, teams used an Internet cafe for the first time to retrieve their next route marker. It was also the midpoint of the first ever uberleg/double length leg.
Ooh yes, how could I forget. There were so many times after that season when teams went to internet cafes around the world to search up flight options on their own discretion. It kind of died out altogether a few years later though.
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline KHCHU

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #702 on: October 23, 2018, 08:12:17 AM »
My favourite team is Charla and Mirna,this is because I loved Mirna’s bossiness and how she snags great flights and tells the other teams off and telling the tickets agent not to sell them tickets. I also loved Charla for her competitive sprit

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #703 on: October 27, 2018, 11:00:30 AM »
My favourite team is Charla and Mirna,this is because I loved Mirna’s bossiness and how she snags great flights and tells the other teams off and telling the tickets agent not to sell them tickets. I also loved Charla for her competitive sprit
I have always cherished Mirna's skill of inveigling ticket agents. Her rigor, willingness to spend time with people from different countries (rather than just asking for directions), and knack for a laugh makes her my all-time favorite racer! Pair it with Charla's no-quit attitude toward any task and they are by far my most favorite team to grace television. No other team can meet their mark in this day and age. Closest it's gotten to surpassing them was Brook & Claire, and that was eight years ago.

It's sad how nowadays we barely see teams interact at or en route to the airport unless it's an important piece of CBS web "extra", because those were truthfully the host of intense make-or-break moments. Gone are the days air travel could still kick teams off a flight or refuse to sell tickets (Eric & Danielle and Colin & Christie hahaha), the heavenly standby list, alternative options, and being crafty to overdraft plane tickets.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 11:04:53 AM by RachelLeVega »
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
« Reply #704 on: October 27, 2018, 05:22:52 PM »
Charla & Mirna are one of my all-time hated teams.

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #705 on: October 27, 2018, 05:48:00 PM »
Charla & Mirna are one of my all-time hated teams.

Yo!
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Gra1162

« Reply #706 on: October 27, 2018, 06:45:16 PM »
I have always cherished Mirna's skill of inveigling ticket agents. Her rigor, willingness to spend time with people from different countries (rather than just asking for directions), and knack for a laugh makes her my all-time favorite racer! Pair it with Charla's no-quit attitude toward any task and they are by far my most favorite team to grace television. No other team can meet their mark in this day and age. Closest it's gotten to surpassing them was Brook & Claire, and that was eight years ago.

It's sad how nowadays we barely see teams interact at or en route to the airport unless it's an important piece of CBS web "extra", because those were truthfully the host of intense make-or-break moments. Gone are the days air travel could still kick teams off a flight or refuse to sell tickets (Eric & Danielle and Colin & Christie hahaha), the heavenly standby list, alternative options, and being crafty to overdraft plane tickets.
Eric and Danielle one of my most hated team doesn't deserve to win :res:

Offline RaceUntilWeDie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #707 on: December 05, 2018, 03:29:58 PM »
I randomly watched a compilation of Kym & Alli's funny moments on YouTube and I miss them :(

I had to ask: do you guys think they would've gotten the Fast Forward even if Adam & Bethany didn't show up? It seemed nearly impossible.

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #708 on: December 05, 2018, 03:41:34 PM »
Charla & Mirna were such a full, complete and well-rounded team. They were entertaining, but they were also good Racers. Sadly, I don't know that their skills would carry over well to modern TAR. TAR is very different in structure today than it was even for TAR11. And the things that Charla & Mirna excelled at (travel/airport maneuvering for example)  no longer exist on TAR.

Offline Granth

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #709 on: December 05, 2018, 05:14:18 PM »
I randomly watched a compilation of Kym & Alli's funny moments on YouTube and I miss them :(

They and #TeamExtreme would easily fit the "two all-female team quota" for a returnee season.

Offline fossil-racer

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #710 on: December 06, 2018, 01:08:36 AM »
It still fascinates me that the 2 relatively weak FF teams in TAR 23 made the top 6.

We need better FF teams.
Unearthing Prehistoric Spoilers since TAR Canada 2
Detail Analyst - TAR Canada is my favorite!

Offline RaceUntilWeDie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #711 on: December 06, 2018, 02:31:36 AM »
It still fascinates me that the 2 relatively weak FF teams in TAR 23 made the top 6.

We need better FF teams.

Right? Even against 5 M/M teams. Impressive on paper, but like you said, they were relatively weak...

Nobody really cared that Mona & Beth made the F3 in Season 22 because F/F teams were doing so well then. Seasons 21-25 really was a good era for F/F teams.

Gra1162

« Reply #712 on: December 06, 2018, 02:59:44 AM »

We need better FF teams.

Right? Even against 5 M/M teams. Impressive on paper, but like you said, they were relatively weak...

Nobody really cared that Mona & Beth made the F3 in Season 22 because F/F teams were doing so well then. Seasons 21-25 really was a good era for F/F teams.
Hello Nikki and Kim are queen's #bunnies

Offline NELs

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Excited for TAR 34!
« Reply #713 on: December 10, 2018, 12:31:35 AM »
Well, I finally watched TAR Aus 2 for the first time, and now I'm gonna give my thoughts on what is considered the best International Race of all time.

Route: The Philippines was a great first location for the race, then the jump to 2 India legs was fantastic, we never see India this early in TARUS! From crowded India to the desert metropolis of Dubai was great. Turkey was a great location as well. My one complaint of the route was that Paris should have been a whole leg. Cuba was great to see, as someone who lives in the States, it was really great seeing a country I can't visit. Canada was a refresher too, and the US needs a Pit Stop in Vancouver. China penultimate legs are always great. Guilin and Brisbane final was great too.

Tasks: I'm glad this season lowered the amount of reused tasks from other versions. I'll list the tasks I really liked. The stair puzzle Roadblock from India 2, Memorizing the 8 symbols in Hagia Sophia, All Cuba tasks, Every Canadian task, and the final task.

Teams: I have to say I really didn't hate any teams this season. I'll spoiler tag the winners in case you haven't seen this season yet.

Winners:
Show content
Shane & Andrew are very satisfying winners. I liked how they were down-to-earth people and wanted to go on this race to have fun. They didn't do so strongly in the first-half, but it was the second-half where they really shined. This is what I would call a team being an "Alpha Underdog" team. Shane & Andrew go in my Top 5 winners of all time

Gra1162

« Reply #714 on: December 10, 2018, 12:32:50 AM »
Well, I finally watched TAR Aus 2 for the first time, and now I'm gonna give my thoughts on what is considered the best International Race of all time.

Route: The Philippines was a great first location for the race, then the jump to 2 India legs was fantastic, we never see India this early in TARUS! From crowded India to the desert metropolis of Dubai was great. Turkey was a great location as well. My one complaint of the route was that Paris should have been a whole leg. Cuba was great to see, as someone who lives in the States, it was really great seeing a country I can't visit. Canada was a refresher too, and the US needs a Pit Stop in Vancouver. China penultimate legs are always great. Guilin and Brisbane final was great too.

Tasks: I'm glad this season lowered the amount of reused tasks from other versions. I'll list the tasks I really liked. The stair puzzle Roadblock from India 2, Memorizing the 8 symbols in Hagia Sophia, All Cuba tasks, Every Canadian task, and the final task.

Teams: I have to say I really didn't hate any teams this season. I'll spoiler tag the winners in case you haven't seen this season yet.

Winners:
Show content
Shane & Andrew are very satisfying winners. I liked how they were down-to-earth people and wanted to go on this race to have fun. They didn't do so strongly in the first-half, but it was the second-half where they really shined. This is what I would call a team being an "Alpha Underdog" team. Shane & Andrew go in my Top 5 winners of all time
TAR AU 2 had the BEST cast ever , Lumelia <3

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #715 on: December 10, 2018, 01:44:27 AM »
TARAu2 is the gold standard for all international TARs. And honestly, better than most, if not all TARUS seasons since then.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #716 on: December 12, 2018, 10:26:17 AM »
TARAu2 is the gold standard for all international TARs. And honestly, better than most, if not all TARUS seasons since then.
Honestly, Lucy & Emilia made that season worth it for me. :lol:

Gra1162

« Reply #717 on: December 13, 2018, 12:13:29 AM »
SamE they are the 2nd best FF for me with The Glam BQS in 1st

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #718 on: December 14, 2018, 10:12:45 AM »
SamE they are the 2nd best FF for me with The Glam BQS in 1st
If any duo from the Race franchise could be chosen to host a comedy show, I would so vouch for them.

Offline RaceUntilWeDie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #719 on: December 18, 2018, 04:15:58 PM »
This is kind of random, but I love that two African-American teams placed 1st and 2nd in TAR 18/Unfinished Business. I wish we had more racers of color (that make it far).

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #720 on: December 19, 2018, 07:31:57 PM »
Turned on CBS right now to find the Survivor finale airing and I was so surprised to see the young adult-looking Mike from Mel & Mike now looking like (no offense to Mel the task beast) his father in his early 60's. I missed him and Mel!
 :clap2:

Offline Granth

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #721 on: December 20, 2018, 05:16:13 PM »
This is kind of random, but I love that two African-American teams placed 1st and 2nd in TAR 18/Unfinished Business. I wish we had more racers of color (that make it far).

19 and 23 are the closest, each with three minority finalists versus UB's four.

Offline RaceUntilWeDie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #722 on: January 04, 2019, 12:53:11 AM »
In Season 19 Leg 2 (Indonesia), the clue at the orphanage says:

In addition to all money earned at the Detours, you MUST give all the money in your possession to help the orphans. In exchange, you will receive a clue to help you find the next Pit Stop.

I feel like this setup was flawed, even though it created a chaotic mess (probably intended) for the teams. The teams were still given a clue even if they didn't give all their money, so the wording is off... I don't know, what do you guys think?

Edited to add: The Buddha Roadblock from Leg 3 was really good and an extremely underrated/forgotten task. More tasks need to be like this. Rewatching it, I didn't realize Kaylani & Lisa and Liz & Marie started in 3rd/4th before ending up as the last two teams to check in.

Also, the race to the finish in the same episode was really well-edited (it was suspenseful even though I knew the outcome) and not lazily done like post TAR 21.

Edited to add: Omg, what. Bill & Cathi literally could have had SIX Top 3 finishes but since they made so many mistakes/were slower (obviously), they only had three. Their placements would have been something like this:
11th-3rd-3rd-7th-2nd-3rd-3rd-2nd-5th-5th
^and they came so close to 1st twice.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 05:20:54 PM by RaceUntilWeDie »

Online Cyzoran

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #723 on: January 04, 2019, 07:58:30 AM »
In Season 19 Leg 2 (Indonesia), the clue at the orphanage says:

In addition to all money earned at the Detours, you MUST give all the money in your possession to help the orphans. In exchange, you will receive a clue to help you find the next Pit Stop.

I feel like this setup was flawed, even though it created a chaotic mess (probably intended) for the teams. The teams were still given a clue even if they didn't give all their money, so the wording is off... I don't know, what do you guys think?

I personally don't feel like this is much different from, "walk to this destination" and then someone takes a taxi, and still gets their clue from the box, but gets penalized later.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”

Offline RaceUntilWeDie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #724 on: January 13, 2019, 12:07:18 AM »
In Season 21, Episode 4, Abbie is very clearly giving Ryan verbal instructions during the Roadblock... it's rather jarring to watch considering they've given penalties for this in Season 27 and 30. Anyone care to rewatch? Did I misinterpret that part?