Author Topic: Previous TAR Seasons Discussions  (Read 392954 times)

Offline elthemagnifico

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Previously as rafael02
Re: Previous TAR Seasons Discussions
« Reply #350 on: April 25, 2016, 05:24:23 PM »
^^ when did they say that tbh it's hillarious :lol: ...

hmm I think WRP kinda had problems while making TAR 27 so they were kinda too rushed to finish it before the deadline so they forgot the signs of speedbump and replaced it with RB twist, maybe?

for 28 idk, budget cuts maybe?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 07:23:26 PM by rafael02 »
what might have been

Offline ianthebalance

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #351 on: April 26, 2016, 02:35:46 PM »
I wish we could list all the editing styles and choices that classic TAR did that were good that current TAR doesn't do, and then make some grand post or email to the editors

Offline RaceUntilWeDie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #352 on: May 14, 2016, 08:22:44 AM »
TAR 24 could've been so much better.

Actual cast:

Flight Time & Big Easy, Season 18
Jet & Cord, Season 18
Margie & Luke, Season 18
Brendon & Rachel, Season 20
Bopper & Mark, Season 20 / Mallory, Season 18
Natalie & Nadiya, Season 21
Caroline & Jennifer, Season 22
Joey & Meghan, Season 22
Dave & Connor, Season 22
Jessica & John, Season 22
Leo & Jamal, Season 23

Dream cast:

Amani & Marcus, Season 19
Bill & Cathi, Season 19
Brendon & Rachel, Season 20
Bopper & Mark, Season 20

Jaymes & James, Season 21
Natalie & Nadiya, Season 21
Max & Katie, Season 22
Caroline & Jennifer, Season 22
Dave & Connor, Season 22
Tim & Marie, Season 23
Leo & Jamal, Season 23

Offline gamerfan09

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #353 on: May 17, 2016, 09:11:14 AM »
Rewatched TAR12 and omg, that India leg is probably my favorite of the entire show's.

EVERYONE delivered so hard (Kent & Vyxsin/Nate & Jenn/Ron & Chris) <333333

Even though Nicolas & Don were low-key quiet, Don then collapsed near the Pit Stop and I realised why they were quiet for the leg :lol: Nic's random comments and Don being an expert at another thing they run into lol <3

It was also excruciatingly competitive, with placements jumping up and down the whole way.

What a phenomenal leg and episode. If only TK & Rachel got eliminated instead, then it would have been one of my favorite episode PERIOD. What a journey.

Offline Keepcopz

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #354 on: May 24, 2016, 01:12:12 AM »
TAR12-13's India leg are probably BEST Indian leg ever in a roll. :lol:

Offline RaceUntilWeDie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #355 on: May 24, 2016, 09:29:59 PM »
Why is this more suspenseful than the last 2, 3, 4, 5 or so seasons?

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/_TTdy2nVCj0" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/_TTdy2nVCj0</a>

And this was a race for 2nd. In 2016, they would cut all of this out (ok, maybe not because of Rachel :lol: )
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 09:34:43 PM by RaceUntilWeDie »

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #356 on: May 24, 2016, 09:34:14 PM »
Brenchel <3 Joey & Danny <3

TAR20 was one of the seasons that definitely still had the suspense and the Paraguay leg was great. Biggest suspense moment though was STILL Vanessa & Ralph vs. Elliot & Andrew at the Roadblock to the Pit Stop. The music, the tension, everything just clicked together so so well.

Offline RaceUntilWeDie

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #357 on: May 24, 2016, 09:37:58 PM »
Haha, I've rewatched Vanessa & Ralph vs. Elliot & Andrew quite a few times but never remembered this gem that is Brendon & Rachel vs. Joey & Danny :lol:

I wanted to make it a point that they're racing for 2nd, not 1st or last. And they still made an effort to edit this nicely. Unlike today... :groan:

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #358 on: May 24, 2016, 10:10:06 PM »
Agreed. Had this been modern-day TAR we would just have both teams at the mat already with the "2nd Place and 3rd Place" captions out already. *sighs*

Considering 29 is already delayed and it might be a sign of the end, they need to fire the editors of the new era and go back to the old ASAP.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #359 on: May 25, 2016, 10:21:06 AM »
I wish we could list all the editing styles and choices that classic TAR did that were good that current TAR doesn't do, and then make some grand post or email to the editors
Here are my takes on the different editing styles.
TAR1
• "Point A to Point B" / the whole season pretty much focused on the basic concept of getting from place to place while trying to make the least amount of mistakes and holdups possible + the dramas of traveling with each other.
TAR2-5
• "Travels of the Crazy Americans-ism" :lol: / Showing over-the-top personalities of racers and their moments with a genuine side of appreciation, incompetence and-or contempt with each other. The locations visited also revealed how different they were to these racers by the locals they met and still had significant stylings of point A to point B.
TAR6-10
• "Heroes vs Enemies" / After some quips between teams in season 5, the race was geared more toward drama to bring in ratings while still showing the triumphant efforts of the teams who were generally favorable. Brought visited locations into an even more specifically cultural and geographical light, especially the United States during season 8.
TAR11-17 (My personal favorite)
• "Suspense-ism" / Like CrossFit: fast-paced music, quick wits and adrenaline are what powered this contemporary era of TAR. Hilarious moments and unforgettable drama between teams and teammates proved that the race is no joke and that "they don't call it The Amazing Race for nothin'".
TAR18-20
• "HD Transition" / Leading into a new era of TAR, a simple basketball game at the rest period in Kunming, China showed that the race was beginning to relax and wasn't all sugar rushed and frantic. Though, elements of Suspense were utilized during crazy moments and tasks.
TAR21-28
• "Travel Log-ism" / Generally unexciting, this mix of teams completing tasks around the world and showing their dislike and friendships with other teams document their journey in a sometimes overdramatic and straightforward way. Sloppy consistency is not to be missed. And there are elements of Suspense here and there RESERVED for moments when teams are screaming and kicking at each other.
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #360 on: May 25, 2016, 11:01:45 AM »
 :like:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Alenaveda

• TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • R.F.F. Game Host A.A.R.G. 11
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains - however improbable - must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"No person deserves your tears, and who deserves them will not make you cry." - Gabriel García Márquez

Offline TARUSAFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #362 on: May 25, 2016, 06:53:36 PM »
Bring back the editing style of TAR 11-17, fire your current editors as they are contributing to the downfall of TAR with sloppy editing. Rachel's post above sums up the editing style of TAR through the years. They should hire gamerfan09 from RFF as a video editor, I honestly loved how he edited TAR 27, he made it more watchable. Justin & Diana weren't hogging the screentime. We here super TAR fans from RFF should be used as consultants, like an open forum where we voice out our opinions and a person/producer from TAR takes note of them, studies them and puts it into practice whatever is beneficial for the upcoming seasons. To the people behind TAR, look at your successful previous seasons (11-17) and capitalize on that. I did not bother when American Idol was axed (I loyally watched it along with TAR), but if TAR gets axed. It's a big NO!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 07:27:38 PM by TARUSAFan »

Offline scruffs

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #363 on: May 25, 2016, 10:21:20 PM »
I am rewatching season finales from first 10 seasons and I think airport dramas were so not the thing on recent seasons. Also, the finale always consisting of 2 legs. So anything can really happen. How wish the intensity and drama is still in it. How sad its not what it seems lately.  :( :( :(
Chance favors prepared minds.

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #364 on: May 25, 2016, 10:48:25 PM »
Bring back the editing style of TAR 11-17, fire your current editors as they are contributing to the downfall of TAR with sloppy editing. Rachel's post above sums up the editing style of TAR through the years. They should hire gamerfan09 from RFF as a video editor, I honestly loved how he edited TAR 27, he made it more watchable. Justin & Diana weren't hogging the screentime. We here super TAR fans from RFF should be used as consultants, like an open forum where we voice out our opinions and a person/producer from TAR takes note of them, studies them and puts it into practice whatever is beneficial for the upcoming seasons. To the people behind TAR, look at your successful previous seasons (11-17) and capitalize on that. I did not bother when American Idol was axed (I loyally watched it along with TAR), but if TAR gets axed. It's a big NO!

Thanks for the kind words <3

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #365 on: May 29, 2016, 08:59:04 PM »
Rewatched TAR5 again with my family (their first time to watch 5 after only regularly watching from TAR19), and it's really such a journey <3

Every single team (except for Marshall & Lancer) delivers hard, the legs are all fun, and it's just such a well-done season.

I mean, we had a SINGLE LEG (the Dubai leg :lol:) have NOTHING but Transportation related drama in Tanzania for TWENTY WHOLE MINUTES WITHOUT ANY TASKS and it was still more exciting and gripping than anything in the past 16 seasons. :lol:

Wow. Just wow. TAR5 was already in my top 3 seasons ever and this rewatch nearly pushes it above 3 for me :lol:

Also:
One of my favorite confessional edits EVER:

Colin & Christie confessional: We can trust Chip & Kim, we love them ^_^
Kim confessional: I want Colin & Christie to SELF DESTRUCT!!!

:lol: <3
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 12:31:42 AM by gamerfan09 »

Offline Brannockdevice

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #366 on: June 05, 2016, 01:20:38 AM »
If this is still discussing our favorite challenges, let's not forget the memory challenge from Season 12!  :luvya: :cheer: That still gives me goosebumps.
"Exploration is really the essence of the human spirit." -Frank Borman

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #367 on: June 05, 2016, 03:18:17 PM »
Added a new thread for THOUGHTFUL discussion of Where we are going, Suggestions for the Future. Tell CBS how you think we can improve TAR.

http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,32182.0.html
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #368 on: June 06, 2016, 04:30:39 PM »
I'm currently rewatching TAR25 and I've just finished the 9th episode, the Singapore leg.
It's honestly such a perfect episode and one of the best in the entire history of TAR.

Flight drama? Yes.
Great tasks? Yes.
Cultural relevance? Yes.
Additional ARI task? Yes.
Fast forward? Yes. With drama, too.
Placement shuffles? Yes.
Suspense? Yes.
U-Turn drama? Yes, in a positive way.
Team drama & strategy? Oh yes.

This has to be one of the saddest eliminations, too. Mostly because I'm a huge fan of the cyclists and BADLY want them to return (which I'm pretty sure they will), but also because of the editing. THE EDITING WAS AMAZING, I really don't remember such a well-edited episode in recent TAR. I'm not able to go into detail with editing, but it simply added a lot of suspense, showcased all the teams' mindsets and strategy + showed social interactions and was also HUMOROUS. The title quote is so amazing as well, "You're taking my tan off!" :lol: Oh how I wish Brooke & Robbie were still together, but wouldn't it be amazing if they returned as team exes? Though I have little hope.
There's honestly not one thing I missed in this episode. Apart from the outcome, which doesn't influence my opinion of a leg unless it's a NEL after a really hard leg, this is a perfect leg for me.

What was the opinion of RFF about this one? During TAR25, I didn't visit this forum at all, because we were binge watching the season with some friends and after the finale I didn't have any interest to read all of the threads. :P By the way, after this episode I'm fully convinced that it was worth rewatching this season, because I didn't love it as much on my first watch - due to not being as attentive when viewing in a group.

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #369 on: June 06, 2016, 06:31:45 PM »
25 is great but tbh my favorite episode is the Morocco leg lol.

Singapore was great, but that was also partly because of the actual episode and not the tasks (which are all almost from TARA :lol:).

Offline Marionete

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • The sky's more blue
« Reply #370 on: June 07, 2016, 09:18:11 AM »
Which Morroco leg?

Leg 6 had a very underwhelming roadblock and lacked suspense due to Shelley & Nici being totally out of it.
And leg 5 had amazing tasks, an awesome ARI and a well-placed U-Turn, too, but Keith & Whitney were really out of it? Even if they weren't U-Turned, they would've been doomed.

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #371 on: June 07, 2016, 09:54:25 AM »
Which Morroco leg?

Leg 6 had a very underwhelming roadblock and lacked suspense due to Shelley & Nici being totally out of it.
And leg 5 had amazing tasks, an awesome ARI and a well-placed U-Turn, too, but Keith & Whitney were really out of it? Even if they weren't U-Turned, they would've been doomed.

Leg 5 duh. Leg 6 was pretty eh sans Kym & Alli attempting to sing and Brooke bitching the whole leg.

Leg 5 was amazing though, despite Keithney being out! I would argue they weren't really out up until the Detour, but that entire plot of them vs. Shelley/Nici was just so well-crafted. Arguing with Shelley & Nici intersped with Misti knocking out Shelley's bike as a red herring followed with Shelley & Nici then gleefully running in their highest finish yet to the U-Turn board before cutting to commercial and giving true suspense over their decision? Sheer amazingness.

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #372 on: June 07, 2016, 09:17:28 PM »
I still maintain that the seasons that embody the best of TAR are 2, 3, 5, 12, 17, and 25, with 1, 7, 10, and 18 a bit more flawed but close behind.

Offline gamerfan09

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #373 on: June 11, 2016, 02:44:00 AM »
Anyone who hasn't seen TAR3/5 are missing out on the greatest seasons of Reality TV ever.

Offline dryedmangoez

• RFF Frantic Poster
    • DryedMangoez.com
« Reply #374 on: June 11, 2016, 06:44:37 PM »
I still maintain that the seasons that embody the best of TAR are 2, 3, 5, 12, 17, and 25, with 1, 7, 10, and 18 a bit more flawed but close behind.

I mostly agree.  I think those seasons are definitely the best.  3 and 5 especially at the top.  12 & 17 then 2 then 25 to represent the remaining potential TAR still has.  I'd add 4 to the next tier as well.

10 is definitely next in line to the top tier, but the last Leg really drags the season down.  7 is so meh.  Meredith & Gretchen are All-Stars, but the season overall is mostly cringe worthy.  I'd suggest 11 over 18 as it's an overall much better season and cast in spite of the result.  And TAR1 is such an outlier I think.  It's of course the most classic, but the season just feels so different from what TAR2 even looked like.  Just different editing and different Leg design of course being the first almost test run.