Author Topic: Re: "Around the World for Free!"  (Read 95905 times)

Offline DianeC

• RFF Full Member
Re: Re: "Around the World for Free!"
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2010, 10:55:44 AM »
I hope everyone who has friends all over the world will help him....there sure are enough ppl from everywhere on this site! :hearts:

Offline ugot2bekidinmeny

• RFF's Goodwill Ambassador
  • I Live at RFF
  • No more wire hangers EVER!
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2010, 12:41:41 PM »
I can't wait for it to start either.. :wohoo:  I'm definately gonna help Jeff out!!
zero, zilch, nada, nothing!

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2010, 04:16:16 PM »
It will be fun to watch Jeff tackle this. He's made for TV.

:hearts: :jumpy: :hearts:
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline krabbe

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2010, 05:07:09 PM »
Yay Jeff! I hope someone will post the episodes online in Youtube or something. CBS is very stingy to its international viewers  :(

Offline DianeC

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2010, 09:05:43 PM »
I can't wait for it to start either.. :wohoo:  I'm definately gonna help Jeff out!!

Are you in the States or out???

Offline Pedaler

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2010, 09:30:28 PM »
Wow,  This is great news.  I only watched the WGN episodes so I will now get a chance to see the trip from the start on the web.

I see that Jeff is starting in July.  Source : http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2010/06/11/big-brother-amazing-race-star-in-new-tv-show-around-the-wo/

I noticed from one of RealityFreakWill's posts that Jeff has a fan club.  I hope that they have enough funds to help Jeff with some of his air fares.  For those you watched season 1, Robert H. from Orlando was probably Jeff's number one benefactor regarding airline tickets.  The gal from South Carolina was also a great help.

I did record season one's episodes and saw that Alex was still in Nairobi, Kenya on Day 103.  Jeff is  going to need help to do his trip a lot faster. 

Maybe his fan club can get him off of the North America continent ASAP.  They surely must have representatives in one of the large N.E. cities (Boston, N.Y., Phil, D.C)

I just can't wait.

Sorry, Peach but I think he needs to leave before he could get to Georgia.   :'(

Offline ugot2bekidinmeny

• RFF's Goodwill Ambassador
  • I Live at RFF
  • No more wire hangers EVER!
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2010, 11:09:35 AM »
i'm in the states

zero, zilch, nada, nothing!

Offline DianeC

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2010, 02:00:17 PM »
i'm in the states

Kool, well, any help he can get will be appreciated, that is for sure...
 and YES, jeff does have a Fansite...

We will offer help, but it is ultimately, Jeff that gets to decide where he wants to go and probably getting him out of the states will be the best thing to do........
He will leave from NY, so any help in the states from there will guide what direction they go in....

Offline DianeC

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2010, 04:31:20 PM »
The JEJO Site is very excited because Zsolt, Jeff's cameraman for ATWFF has joined our site and is answering our questions(when he finds the time) to help ppl understand how the show works if they are new to it... :tup:

He is such a sweet man and very generous with whatever info he can give out at this time... :yess:

Anyone wishing to read Zsolt's thread, can go here:

http://bb11jejo.webs.com/

Offline slpdx

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2010, 07:26:39 PM »
It appears as the start date is most likely 7/26 and they've picked up a couple big-time corporate sponsors.

http://adage.com/madisonandvine/article?article_id=144446

AT&T, American Back CBS Web Series 'Around the World for Free'
Network's Interactive Unit Looks to Ramp Up Original Online Programming

by Andrew Hampp
Published: June 15, 2010
Share on Twitter Share on Facebook Submit to Digg Add to Google Share on StumbleUpon Submit to LinkedIn Add to Newsvine Bookmark on Del.icio.us Submit to Reddit

LOS ANGELES (AdAge.com) -- CBS Interactive is rolling out a web series whose entire narrative will depend exclusively on the two most hard-to-find attributes in digital entertainment: sponsors and active fans.

Luckily for CBS, the former is already taken care of when it rolls out "Around the World for Free," an online spinoff of "The Amazing Race" that makes its debut July 26 on CBS.com and other CBS Interactive properties.

The series will chronicle the real-time travels of Jeff Schroeder, a veteran of CBS reality shows "Big Brother" and "The Amazing Race," as he attempts to globe-trot without so much as a dollar to his name, relying on strangers and online viewers to dictate and potentially accommodate his every move -- all with the aid of integrated sponsors AT&T, to connect Mr. Schroeder to his fans, and American Airlines, to fly him to his various destinations.

The ambitious premise echoes that of 19 Entertainment's "If I Can Dream," a reality series on online video site Hulu that also unfolds in real-time and allows fans to vote in new cast members, with integrations from presenting sponsors Pepsi and Ford along the way. And just as "Dream" got more than a little bit of traditional media exposure from cross-promotion on 19 Entertainment's "American Idol," "Around the World for Free" will be heavily promoted on CBS Corp.'s radio properties, online audience network and prime-time summer lineup, particularly during the new season of "Big Brother," which makes its return July 8. Mr. Schroeder will make appearances on CBS's "The Early Show" to reach the daytime crowd as well.

CBS is also boldly going where broadcast networks have only recently dared to tread by ramping up its investment in online programming. ABC, one of the first networks to dip its toes in digital waters with the launch of Stage 9 Productions in 2008, quickly saw its web video business fizzle after producing too many web series with TV budgets and no business model or sponsor support to offset the costs. NBC has found recent success with branded web shows for American Family Insurance ("In Gayle We Trust," recently renewed for a second season) and Hidden Valley Ranch, while Fox is expected to debut new cross-platform projects from new branded-entertainment head Roger Mincheff later this year.

Benchmarks
In the past year, CBS Interactive has produced original web series for Saturn ("Novel Adventures"), Head & Shoulders ("Heckle U"), General Motors ("The Ghost Whisperer: The Other Side") and AT&T (TV.com's "TV in a Flash"). Joe Ferreira, senior VP-general manager of the CBS Audience Network, said web series are held to different success metrics than broadcast series, so 1 million views over the course of a month is often a good benchmark compared to 14 million viewers for one night of prime time.

"The idea of a hit for us is on a bit of a smaller scale, but what we've seen for all the series we've put out there has hit all those marks," he said. "We've been doing this for two to three years, and each time we've learned something. Now we're at the point where we're really taking this to the next level."

Although the 35 short-form episodes that make up "Around the World for Free" are being produced at a fraction of what they would cost to produce for prime time (which also means less cameras, less edit time and shorter episode lengths), the cost savings do not come at the expense of quality, said Anthony Soohoo, CBS Interactive's senior VP-general manager of entertainment.

"We think we can deliver a series to the user at a level unseen in the past online," he said. "The user behavior, quality of the cameras and the emergence of social media mobile tools we can use from the advertising community as well as our users put us in a pretty unique spot to deliver something we'll be looking at years from now. We want 'Around the World for Free' to be the inflection point for a new wave of storytelling for the next few years."

Plus, by having sponsors onboard at launch, the series is already a profitable venture for CBS. "The web-original business for us is at comparable margins if not better across the line than any other entertainment properties we currently run," Mr. Soohoo said.

AT&T is expected to be featured throughout the series as an integrated mobile sponsor, and will promote the series within its own properties in the coming weeks. American Airlines, in its biggest investment in an original web series to date, will sponsor all of Mr. Schroeder's trips. Coming off a high-profile integration in last year's "Up in the Air," an unpaid placement valued to be worth as much as $14.5 million of exposure by entertainment research firm Front Row Analytics, the bar is very high for American's latest foray.

"The key to any product placement for a brand, in film, TV or online video, is relevance," said Billy Sanez, American's director of advertising and promotions. He added: "Flying Jeff [Schroeder] around the world is simply what we do for a living. We naturally take our passengers to their destinations."

"Around the World for Free" is actually the second season of a show that was originally conceived by "Amazing Race" winner Alex Boylan and "Survivor: Pearl Islands" vet Burton Roberts, produced independently and eventually acquired by CBS. The archived season is currently available on a micro-site.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2010, 07:40:38 PM »
Oh wow...having flights covered is going to tremendously change this...that was the biggest holdup for Alex. If Jeff has flights covered, then he can really fous on having fans take him under their wings at LOCATIONS, giving us a true look at places and activities.

I think I like this better...once or twice last season Alex really had to have some people dig deep for him, this is better.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline slpdx

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2010, 08:02:02 PM »
I'm glad too, Peach, especially with the current state of the World's economy.

Offline Pedaler

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2010, 09:54:18 PM »
Oh wow...having flights covered is going to tremendously change this...that was the biggest holdup for Alex. If Jeff has flights covered, then he can really fous on having fans take him under their wings at LOCATIONS, giving us a true look at places and activities.

I think I like this better...once or twice last season Alex really had to have some people dig deep for him, this is better.

As my favorite first eliminated TAR team of all time would say,  Ah concur.

I am so jealous.  I hope Jeff does well. 

DianeC, Congrats on having Zsolt join your site.  I don't know how he will have enough time in a day to first film and then edit the webisodes so they are both interesting and entertaining.  His effort and performance in season 1 was most impressive.

I  wish your site was an open one.

Offline DianeC

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2010, 09:19:41 AM »

Hi Peach,

Just got a clarification on this article by Zsolt and this is what he said:
Zsolt Luka
Hi everyone,

I just hopped on and have not had time to read all the threads, but wanted to point out a very important point that was incorrectly interpreted in the Advertising Age article: American Airlines IS NOT covering all of Jeff's flights after launch. We absolutely will need the audience's support, vitally in the international sector especially. More details to come soon, but pls do note that the flights / other transport support is indeed very much needed, still!

Offline DianeC

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2010, 09:24:33 AM »

As my favorite first eliminated TAR team of all time would say,  Ah concur.

I am so jealous.  I hope Jeff does well. 

DianeC, Congrats on having Zsolt join your site.  I don't know how he will have enough time in a day to first film and then edit the webisodes so they are both interesting and entertaining.  His effort and performance in season 1 was most impressive.

I  wish your site was an open one.

Ah, yes, we were blessed and I am sorry it is members only(but, i joined both neat places..Here & there..ha), but ,if you all have questions that you want to know, plz feel free to ask them here and I can bring them over to Zsolt....I don't mind and really, he is sooo sweet, neither does he(time permitting)...
Hugs,
Diane

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2010, 02:37:05 PM »
Thanks for the clarification Diane.

In some ways that is a shame... a couple of times on Season 1 Alex was almost begging...and that is not what the focus of this should be, imo. I love the concept of serendipity, and relying on "the kindness of strangers" (hey, I AM a southern girl), but hate it when they have to resort to panhandling (almost) anyway.

But this will be fun, I think Jeff is a dynamite choice for this!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline DianeC

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2010, 03:10:48 PM »
Thanks for the clarification Diane.

In some ways that is a shame... a couple of times on Season 1 Alex was almost begging...and that is not what the focus of this should be, imo. I love the concept of serendipity, and relying on "the kindness of strangers" (hey, I AM a southern girl), but hate it when they have to resort to panhandling (almost) anyway.

But this will be fun, I think Jeff is a dynamite choice for this!

YW..Yes, with his personality and way with ppl, he should not have to beg too much, but he can get a job maybe to help with food and shelter...Jeff is pretty resourceful from what I have seen and always ready for adventure...Ha

Offline cupcake

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2010, 01:13:53 AM »

zsoltluka    Good weather, good times, good friends, #Chicago delivering on the #atwff spirit in this pre-pro phase.. tks all! http://twitpic.com/1xfpz7
about 2 hours ago via Twitpic

Offline Vega

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2010, 08:07:38 AM »
This sounds like a cool trip and a neat idea but I'd like to see it be even more challenging. It seems to easy to have someone buy you plane tickets or train tickets. I'd like to see them hitchhike across the world. I think the most difficult part would be crossing the waters.
Vega Sinclair, Travel Medical Insurance Advisor

Offline Vega

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2010, 08:19:17 AM »
I think one interesting part of this show will be to see how different countries and cultures treat them. For instance, which country or culture will be the most gracious? Which one will be the toughest to get through because of lack of generosity?
Vega Sinclair, Travel Medical Insurance Advisor

Offline RealityFreakWill

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • WILL & JAMES AMAZING RACE 32 CHAMPIONS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2010, 09:27:18 AM »
Jeff just tweeted this a few minutes ago:

Jeffschroeder23

Me and my buddy @zsoltluka in Chicago http://twitpic.com/1xfpz7 doing some prepping for @atwff. Now gotta go pick Jordan up from the airport 4 minutes ago via web

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2010, 09:54:32 AM »
Hopefully many of you will remember Alex Boyland and his producer/camerman/soundman Zsolt Luka going "Around the World for Free" on the SGN Network one year ago. The show is back with Alex as the co-producer with Burton Roberts, Zsolt as the traveling companion and a new traveler:

Around the World For Free puts the passion back into adventure and the real back into reality!
About the show
Around the World For Free is a fully interactive online reality show. Tune in to Season 2 this summer, when The Amazing Race and Big Brother star Jeff Schroeder attempts to travel around the world in 100 days … with nothing more than a backpack and the help of an online community. Where he'll go and how he'll get there have yet to be determined, but at least he won't be alone. Fans can follow along on CBS.com every step of the way, offering tips, travel photos and even a helping hand. Sign up now for Around the World For Free updates and we’ll let you know when Jeff hits the road!

Around the World For Free's connection to CBS isn't new. Go back and watch Season 1, when The Amazing Race winner Alex Boylan traveled more than 45,000 miles through 16 countries without a penny in his pocket. Alex returns with fellow co-creator and executive producer, SURVIVOR™: Pearl Islands alumnus Burton Roberts, to produce the upcoming Season 2. Co-creator and Emmy-nominated editor Zsolt Luka will reprise his role as field producer, directing, filming, and editing the series on the fly.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2010, 10:11:12 AM »
Here are links to 2 videos that CBS has on its website for ATWFF2 with traveler Jeff Schroeder:

http://www.cbs.com/originals/around_the_world_for_free/video/?pid=Oh2pWkMq06DKPZGpE1mVpj29sh_VZpAT&vs=homepage&play=true

Offline DianeC

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2010, 11:50:51 AM »
I think one interesting part of this show will be to see how different countries and cultures treat them. For instance, which country or culture will be the most gracious? Which one will be the toughest to get through because of lack of generosity?

Hi Vega,
From reading on our site what Zsolt has said,,I can tell you that in the last season, there were NO countries that were not gracious to them and even the poorest of cultures shared their food and shelter with them..It was quite humbling he said.
So, generosity doesn't seem to be a problem..more getting into a country due to a lack of a Visa, which he said is their own fault for not doing it sooner and being more prepared...
And yes, since this is a new season, it will be interesting again how they fare!

Offline Pedaler

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2010, 02:11:08 PM »
Cupcake, Will : Thanks for the tweets.  Jeff and Zsolt could be brothers.

DianeC, Thanks for the clarification.  I hope the show gets lots of publicity in order to make more people aware of Jeff's trip.  As I mentioned up thread, Alex relied on a select group of people for airline tickets.  The following is from apskip's excellent recap from last year:

Alex get a prepaid ticket from the Vodafone group in Praetoria led by Low to fly to Mumbai. There is not enough time to get a proper visa, so he plans to adopt an alternate approach of a 72 hour temporary visa suggested by Indian embassy staff in Nairobi. When he lands in Mumbai, he is escorted to a quarantine area and told his information was not correct and he was being deported back to Nairobi because no transit visas are ever available once in India. He attempted to get some local officials to help the situation but was not given time by the authorities. They got him on the next flight back to Nairobi within hours of arrival.  Alex and Zsolt were now stranded in Nairobi airport and their luggage takes a while to show up. They get financial suport from Robert Hutchings (3rd time) and Debbie and Walter Stallcraft(who Alex and Zsolt stayed with in Florence SC on the first night of this odyssey) to buy a ticket to Bangkok.

So you can see, Alex was dependent upon just a few benefactors.  Also, I can't recall at this time who paid for his last big trip from Asia back to the U.S.  But without their help, Alex would have failed and so will Jeff.

If you have a chance, can you ask Zsolt what day to day role, if any,  Alex will have on this season?  I realize he won't be on camera but was wondering if he had a daily role back at the home office. 

Thanks