Author Topic: TAR16 - EP 8: You're Like Jason Bourne, Right? (Malaysia)  (Read 115727 times)

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR16 - EP 8: You're Like Jason Bourne, Right? (Malaysia)
« Reply #300 on: April 07, 2010, 09:02:47 AM »
Just poking around, I have discovered something that calls into question the research carried out in design of tasks by World Race Productions well in advance of the actual running and editing of Amazing Race 16, episode 8 in Penang:

The Thnee Kong Thua (or alternate spelling Thni Kong Tnua) is unique in that it is a Taoist temple managed by Buddhist monks.

Huh? Buddhist Tradition in a Taoist temple? Buddhist Temples in Penang are mostly Thai and Burmese in origin, although there are also some Mahayana Buddhist temples of the Chinese. there are  Buddhist temples in Penang.

Here is a list of 14 Buddhist temples WRP could have considered:

Beow Hiang Lim Temple
Dhammikarama Burmese Temple
Heong Giam Si Temple
Huat Huah Liam Temple
Ku Cheng Tse Temple
Mahindarama Buddhist Temple
Malaysian Buddhist Meditation Centre
Penang Buddhist Association
Than Hsiang Temple
Wat Buppharam
Wat Chaiyamangkalaram
Wat Nai
Wat Photichareantham
Wat Pinbang Onn

Weren't there any of those available on December 14? Why was a Taoist temple chosen instead?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #301 on: April 07, 2010, 06:42:22 PM »
I think that is strange too...Neobie pointed it out as soon as we identified the temple, but there doesn't seem to be a good answer.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #302 on: April 07, 2010, 07:04:12 PM »
Why was a Taoist temple chosen instead?

Maybe to suit the Detour option of bringing the Giant Incense. The structure of the temple (the 153 stairs up) gives that detour option it's edge, that's why *maybe* the WRP chose the location
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #303 on: April 08, 2010, 02:30:29 PM »
I'm pretty sure the physical aspects of the location had far more to do with the choice that the specific cultural aspects of the temple.

I also wanted to relay some information that I learned from a Penang resident at a non-TAR board (that one does discuss popular culture extensively though, and quite a few of the regulars are TAR fabs, This resident mention that the airport cabs in Penang are only permitted to take passengers from the airport to one location, and then they have to return to the airport. That would explain the problem Jet-Cord had with the taxi at the first clue box in Penang, This resident also mentioned that once in the city, taxis are plentiful aqnd it never takes long to get a taxi. I'll leave it to the Penang residents here to confirm this, but I thought I should mention it and see what y'all thought.
-- theschnauzers

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #304 on: April 09, 2010, 10:16:49 PM »
Did anyone ever catch Jordan in the sighting video at the Penang temple? You can see him in the background at about 12 seconds in right before the camera zooms up at the temple.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #305 on: April 09, 2010, 11:09:32 PM »
yes...we discussed that at length in the spoilers at the time. Good eye!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.