Author Topic: Episode 8: East Coast live show updates and commentary  (Read 32246 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: Episode 8: East Coast live show updates and commentary
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2010, 07:58:24 PM »
awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww......I am going to miss Steve and Allie!! I have nothing but respect for how they raced, and I am so sorry to see them go!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2010, 07:59:07 PM »
waiting for the preview! Singapore, here we come!!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2010, 07:59:55 PM »
Have we ever had a complete reversal of positions like we did this leg?
6-5-4-3-2-1  became  1-2-3-4-5-6.
Interesting.

Offline Sailing

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2010, 08:00:49 PM »
That was the best episode hands down. A team goes from first to last and another team goes from last to first!  :jam:

Offline kwando1313

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2010, 08:01:43 PM »
Hehehe.... Brent and Caite have their revenge on Carol and Brandy by doing something (U-turn?).

Also, Dan and Jordan have to battle through their fear of heights... on a thing that looks like a Singaporean version of the London Eye.

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2010, 08:02:14 PM »
Truly wished they lost because they didn't have some possession they needed (DUCK TAPE!).

But also very glad that a big part of it was them quitting a task!!!!!!

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2010, 08:02:52 PM »
NEXT TIME ON .. THE AMAZING RACE:

Phil: In Singapore Dan/Jordan test their fear of heights.
In a tower above the city, brothers discussing fearfully:  I have an intense fear of heights!
Phil: ... and find out what Brent/Caite do that angers Carol/Brandy.
Both teams in cabs, driving.  The lesbian calls them assholes or summat.

Offline GonzaloChileno

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2010, 08:04:24 PM »
Hehehe.... Brent and Caite have their revenge on Carol and Brandy by doing something (U-turn?).

Also, Dan and Jordan have to battle through their fear of heights... on a thing that looks like a Singaporean version of the London Eye.

That is the Singapore Flyer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singapore_Flyer
Charla&MirnaLover<3

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2010, 11:30:17 PM »
Liked the tasks, considering they were related to the various religions of Penang, but really thought all the taxi craziness became repetitive midway and dragged the episode down slightly towards the end.

Getting out of the cabs was a horrible decision. Even then, Steve/Allie still had a fighting chance until they switched detours imo.

Jet/Cord amazingly efficient this leg. Well done!  :tup:

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2010, 11:55:27 PM »
I've got the episode DL'd any request for animated gifs?
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline Kevin_Zhu

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2010, 01:16:29 AM »

Amazing!!
I think we only have a first-to-last and last-to-first leg in S10(leg 5 and 6 ). A complete reversal  is just unbelievable!!!!
TAR16 FAVS Jet & Cord, Steve & Allie, Dan & Jordan

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2010, 08:06:18 AM »

Amazing!!
I think we only have a first-to-last and last-to-first leg in S10(leg 5 and 6 ). A complete reversal  is just unbelievable!!!!

IIRC, Leg 9 to Leg 10a of TAR14 had a complete reversal. Of course, there were only 4 teams left.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2010, 11:46:18 AM »

Amazing!!

I was just about to come in and comment on that.

That was freaky. Because for a team to go from last to first and a team from first to last... is hardly possible.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2010, 11:49:13 AM »
Anyway them not having their backpacks did not hinder them.

It was one - going to the other detour.. bad decision by Steve.. and two... seriously, cab drivers.

But i can't deny and say that if Allie was able to do the flag pole, they wouldn't have been eliminated.

So this is yet another, 1/2 gender discrimination RB. I would have loved to see Carol and Brandy try and complete it and freaking out totally just for pure entertainment purposes. :D

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2010, 11:51:29 AM »
And i'm actually very glad that we're at Leg 8 and still have 6 teams remaining. Most season by Leg 8 we're down to final 5 already. Lol

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2010, 12:00:05 PM »

I don't know about the U-Turn. I get a stolen cab vibe from what I saw in the preview.

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2010, 06:20:59 PM »

It was one - going to the other detour.. bad decision by Steve.. and two... seriously, cab drivers.

But i can't deny and say that if Allie was able to do the flag pole, they wouldn't have been eliminated.

So this is yet another, 1/2 gender discrimination RB. I would have loved to see Carol and Brandy try and complete it and freaking out totally just for pure entertainment purposes. :D

Going to the other Detour might not have been a bad decision in and of itself, since Allie might not have been able to do the pole Detour anyway.  But deciding to abandon their cab and walk was a big error, and they were also at the mercy of a bad taxi driver.  The switching Detours was just the final nail in their coffin.

Belle Book

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2010, 06:54:15 PM »
Good episode, not the best for me. Editing was kind of rough (what was with the random music after Jet & Cord and Carol & Brandy checked in? Some kind of poorly put together ominous foreshadowing?), Detour was interesting, liked the Roadblock, and the complete reversal was very impressive. Didn't like that it forced out Steve & Allie though. :(

And the taxis were the drawback of the episode for me. I won't go further into this.

And what a surprise: This leg we the return of Louie & Michael's self-righteous attitude as they decide to target yet another team for not being likable/positive enough for them. And Steve & Allie and Dan & Jordan just go along with it. :groan:

I predict Carol & Brandy out after being U-turned next leg. Possibly just because of the U-turn. :P
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline everbloom

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2010, 01:26:41 AM »

Amazing!!

I was just about to come in and comment on that.

That was freaky. Because for a team to go from last to first and a team from first to last... is hardly possible.

Haha. It could be surprising if only one happens on one leg. But both happening on the SAME leg. Oh my gosh you have to wonder what could've happened.

Also, how could everyone in the middle get reversed too?? Luck really doesn't pick sides IMO.
TAR 17:
Brook/Claire, Nat/Kat, Jill/Thomas

TARA 4
Richard/Richard, Claire/Michelle, Dimple/Sunaina

OMG!! I finally found the cowboys' Facebook fan page!![/url]

Offline everbloom

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2010, 01:30:34 AM »

Going to the other Detour might not have been a bad decision in and of itself, since Allie might not have been able to do the pole Detour anyway.  But deciding to abandon their cab and walk was a big error, and they were also at the mercy of a bad taxi driver.  The switching Detours was just the final nail in their coffin.

Belle Book

Actually, IMO everything started going downhill for them after that idiotic taxi driver who said the temple was 4-5 mins. away by walking. After that, he still took them to the wrong temple. So basically, they had nearly no other choice than to try the flag detour (which I doubt they could've completed) unless they wander around Penang all day.

IMO if they had not stayed with their taxi driver at the wrong temple and found a new one like Dan/Jordan did, they could've beat the bros.
TAR 17:
Brook/Claire, Nat/Kat, Jill/Thomas

TARA 4
Richard/Richard, Claire/Michelle, Dimple/Sunaina

OMG!! I finally found the cowboys' Facebook fan page!![/url]

Offline wonderfalls1

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2010, 07:47:50 AM »
I agree, but honestly, going from one detour site to the other and back in mid-day Penang traffic is a terrible idea as it is quite a distance between the temple and the plag pole task field. If anyone reads this that is going to participate in future TARs, don't change yoour detour unless you are absolutely sure someone else is going to follow suit.

Belle Book

Actually, IMO everything started going downhill for them after that idiotic taxi driver who said the temple was 4-5 mins. away by walking. After that, he still took them to the wrong temple. So basically, they had nearly no other choice than to try the flag detour (which I doubt they could've completed) unless they wander around Penang all day.

IMO if they had not stayed with their taxi driver at the wrong temple and found a new one like Dan/Jordan did, they could've beat the bros.

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2010, 07:32:53 PM »

Belle Book

If they'd only dumped their taxi driver when he took them to the wrong temple, they might've beaten Dan & Jordan.  But they didn't and they paid the price.

Belle Book

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2010, 07:36:36 PM »
I agree, but honestly, going from one detour site to the other and back in mid-day Penang traffic is a terrible idea as it is quite a distance between the temple and the plag pole task field. If anyone reads this that is going to participate in future TARs, don't change yoour detour unless you are absolutely sure someone else is going to follow suit.

And choose carefully your detour.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #73 on: April 07, 2010, 09:52:30 PM »
Buddhist != Taoist... :groan:
neobie, I know you are Asian and would tend to know more than me on this and I cannot tell for surewhether you are being sarcastic (I think you are). A close friend of mine is a Taoist I have consulted on this question. This is a highly complex subject so I am trying not to over-simplify. Buddhism and Taoist are related but not the same. Ideological and political rivals for centuries, Taoism and Buddhism deeply influenced one another and now share some similar values of a humanist  philosophy emphasizing moral behavior and human perfection.

This is not surprising since Taoism incorporated Buddhist elements such as monasteries, vegetarianism, prohibition of alcohol, the doctrine of emptiness, and collecting scripture in tripartite organization. Experts have decided that a number of Buddhist sutras found in medieval East Asia and Central Asia adopted many materials from earlier Taoist scriptures.