Author Topic: After 16 seasons, will an all-female team finally win the race?  (Read 27719 times)

Offline ImANewUser

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: After 16 seasons, will an all-female team finally win the race?
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2010, 07:57:45 PM »
My point here is that TAR must have given a lot of thought to the all-female teams they cast on the show because almost every season, we really have an all-female team who look like they can do really well but ran out of luck/made too big a mistake and resulted in their elimination. Some of them which i listed above, have showed their potential that they can actually win... But... sigh.

That's exactly why the winning F/F threads turn to Dustin & Kandice because they were the first "capable" (physically fit and competitive) F/F team to not make big mistakes or have bad luck (ignoring the fatal wrong turn in Morocco).

Fixed. ;) The BQs did perform consistently well (amazing for an all-female team at the time), but they failed when they couldn't have afforded to (in S10), like all the other teams, all-female or not, to have been eliminated. They did perform rather spectacularly in S11, so ya. :funny:
I'm baaaaaack!

Offline topaz

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2010, 06:09:40 AM »
hopefully either the lesbian couples or the layer moms or both of them will make it to the final 3 on TAR 16 and becoming the 1st all female team to win $1 million.

p.s.
need a spoiler!

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2010, 04:30:24 AM »
My point here is that TAR must have given a lot of thought to the all-female teams they cast on the show because almost every season, we really have an all-female team who look like they can do really well but ran out of luck/made too big a mistake and resulted in their elimination. Some of them which i listed above, have showed their potential that they can actually win... But... sigh.

That's exactly why the winning F/F threads turn to Dustin & Kandice because they were the first "capable" (physically fit and competitive) F/F team to not make big mistakes or have bad luck. That's what makes them slightly superior to me, that they survived the F/F curse. After S10 this also applied to Charla & Mirna, Kisha & Jen (ignoring the potty break and getting lost in China), Cara & Jaime (ignoring getting lost in China).

The first capable all-female team IMO would be the Godlewskis. Dustin and Kandice are/were overrated. :res:

Offline misterblah

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2010, 08:51:26 PM »
Well looks like Carol and Brandy are the only ones in it now. If they get eliminated, it looks like we'll have to wait another season for a all-female team to win.

Offline misterblah

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2010, 11:23:42 AM »
No spoilers in this thread. Thanks.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 01:43:37 PM by TexasLady »

Offline DeafRacer

• Amazing Racer
  • RFF VIP
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2010, 02:36:12 PM »
I thought my season was the first one to have "All Female" teams in the Final Three?   :lol3:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2010, 05:56:18 PM »
Nope...I think Lyn and Karlyn were the first. Season 10.

Right? ???
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2010, 07:48:44 PM »
Nope...I think Lyn and Karlyn were the first. Season 10.

Right? ???

Correct. Then the next season All-Stars had two.

Offline misterblah

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2010, 01:15:14 PM »
And then Cara and Jaime.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2010, 02:20:07 PM »

That's exactly why the winning F/F threads turn to Dustin & Kandice because they were the first "capable" (physically fit and competitive) F/F team to not make big mistakes or have bad luck. That's what makes them slightly superior to me, that they survived the F/F curse. After S10 this also applied to Charla & Mirna, Kisha & Jen (ignoring the potty break and getting lost in China), Cara & Jaime (ignoring getting lost in China).

The first capable all-female team IMO would be the Godlewskis. Dustin and Kandice are/were overrated. :res:

Well, Joab, this will not be the first time we have disagreed and I am certain it will not be the last. I rate the Godlewskis are a middling team with extremely poor navigation skills. The most highly overrated team I know was Charla/Mirna. I do not rate Carol/Brandy very highly as a result of their having a variety of problems which somehow prevent them from doing really well. I see their core problems as not being properly focused on the race and more interested in bickering.

I rate Dustin/Kandice as the finest F/F team ever, with Jamie/Cara a close second.

Offline DeafRacer

• Amazing Racer
  • RFF VIP
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2010, 02:20:53 PM »
I thought my season was the first one to have "All Female" teams in the Final Three?   :lol3:

It was a joke among the our Final Three teams that our season was the first one to have all "female" teams in the Final Three since I'm gay and well.... you know what I'm trying to say.

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2010, 09:19:46 PM »

It was a joke among the our Final Three teams that our season was the first one to have all "female" teams in the Final Three since I'm gay and well.... you know what I'm trying to say.
Does it have something to do with the may thai trannies? :lol:
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline WalterC

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2010, 07:38:27 PM »
I just finished watching the 2nd season of the Asian edition, and I'm amazed (no pun intended) that in just 2 seasons, an all-female team has been in the final 3 in both seasons, with one of them winning it.
Plus a few more making it pretty far.

Offline Obbyz

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2010, 08:15:52 AM »
Really want to see All F/F teams hit 1st place , it has been a long time since Kisha & Jen ( Season 14 ) won a leg. :'(

DavidJunior

« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2010, 11:18:59 AM »
i think we are missing the original team who could've taken home the prize:

Nancy and Emily

had they just completed the detour, they would've survived the leg.  the next leg they could've used the fast forward and royally screwed over Kevin and Drew.  Then, three teams would be racing in the finale, and who knows what might have happened?

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2010, 10:59:05 PM »
i think we are missing the original team who could've taken home the prize:

Nancy and Emily

had they just completed the detour, they would've survived the leg.  the next leg they could've used the fast forward and royally screwed over Kevin and Drew.  Then, three teams would be racing in the finale, and who knows what might have happened?

DavidJr.:

I think your information is a bit off on what happened in Thailand in AR1 arriving at and leaving from Krabi. Kevin and Drew checked into Krabi at 0303 and Joe/Bill at 0631. Nancy/Emily before their penalty got there somewhere in between, so assume that they were in the exact middle or arrived at 447am and Kevin/Drew would have gotten a lead of about 104 minutes on them on the way to "The King". There was a DETOUR and they could not have finished "The King" no matter whether they chose Walk or Climb. Kevin/Drew made it to Sea, Land and Trek that evening, but the operating hours for "the King" would have prevented  Nancy/Emily from getting off Raile Beach and starting the DETOUR. They would have to do the DETOUR while Kevin/Drew complete Sea, Land, Trek and reach the pit stop on the mainland near Chicken Island. They would finish the same 2 hours roughly ahead of Nancy/Emily that Joe/Bill did as the situations Nancy/Emily faced replacing Joe/Bill in your hypothetical example would have put them in about the same places at the same times. Then, after flying on the same flights from Krabi to Beijing they would logically get the same competition somewhere on the way to  Tiantan Park. There were no Fast Forwards in all of the legs after the "King" but there was one at its front end. However, it was supposedly unused and unaired, so if it had any value surely Nancy/Emily would have gone for it. However, their start time for it would almost surely be after the next morning. That means the best they could do would have been to erase any deficit against Kevin/Drew getting to Pai Plong Beach but not be able to get any earlier flights to Beijing.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #66 on: April 12, 2010, 10:21:27 AM »
Carol and Brandy fans dreams are dashed today. But seriously, there were indeed many times all-female teams who had the potential to go far get eliminated by a silly mistake. I rarely see all-female teams get saved by NEL, with the exception of:

TAR 5: Kami and Karli
TAR 8: Godlewski
TAR 10: Dustin and Kandice
TAR 14: Christie and Jodi
TAR 15: Maria and Tiffany

That's basically like only 5 out of the MANY NELs there are on the race. :(

Come to think of it, we nearly had all-female teams winning it all in season 5, season 8, season 10, season 11 and season 14.. not to forget that there were other seasons like practically every other season who can potentially win. (with the exception of TAR 9, TAR 12 and TAR 15... which i think the all-female teams in these seasons were beyond hopeless and i really did not pin any hopes for them to win)

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #67 on: April 12, 2010, 11:09:23 AM »
That's basically like only 5 out of the MANY NELs there are on the race.

Wither Nancy/Emily and Linda/Karen (and if we're being technical, Kisha/Jen)?

DavidJunior

« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2010, 03:24:27 PM »
i interpret being "saved" by an NEL, is continuing on with the race, NOT getting eliminated in the next leg and in the same position.

this would leave:
Linda and Karen (NEL'd in Egypt 1, EL'd in Philippines 2)
Kami and Karli (NEL'd in UAE, EL'd in New Zealand) (i put them, because there was a leg in between, where they didn't come in last)
Godlewski Family (NEL'd in Panama, EL'd in Montana)
and Maria and Tiffany (NEL'd in Japan, practically NEL'd in Cambodia, EL'd in the Netherlands)

so only 4 teams were actually 'saved' by the NEL they landed on.  The others still got knocked out the very next leg, thus wasting the NEL.

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2010, 04:53:04 PM »
i interpret being "saved" by an NEL, is continuing on with the race, NOT getting eliminated in the next leg and in the same position.

this would leave:
Kami and Karli (NEL'd in UAE, EL'd in New Zealand) (i put them, because there was a leg in between, where they didn't come in last)
and Maria and Tiffany (NEL'd in Japan, practically NEL'd in Cambodia, EL'd in the Netherlands)

so only 4 teams were actually 'saved' by the NEL they landed on.  The others still got knocked out the very next leg, thus wasting the NEL.

this would leave:

so only 4 teams were actually 'saved' by the NEL they landed on.  The others still got knocked out the very next leg, thus wasting the NEL.

I don't like this interpretation, because all teams that land on the NEL are still saved, even if they only get to race one more leg. What finishing placing a team gets in the race doesn't really matter, the point is that they were not eliminated on that leg. They can still win the race after that or be eliminated on the very next leg. But their race was still saved. They still had the chance to go farther. It's the ability to continue the race that really matters, not the ability to get a higher finishing placement, IMO.

But I also hate seeing the team that was saved by the NEL get eliminated on the next leg anyway, unless it's a team I genuinely don't like.

Come to think of it, we nearly had all-female teams winning it all in season 5, season 8, season 10, season 11 and season 14.. not to forget that there were other seasons like practically every other season who can potentially win. (with the exception of TAR 9, TAR 12 and TAR 15... which i think the all-female teams in these seasons were beyond hopeless and i really did not pin any hopes for them to win)

I don't totally agree with this. I think Wanda & Desiree had a strong potential, but their bad directions put them out early. They didn't get a chance to show all of their racing abilities. They were quite strong on Leg 1. Lisa & Joni were indeed hopeless, though, and Danielle & Dani were pretty mediocre.

And as for TAR 12, I'd say that both female teams had a decent chance at winning. Marianna & Julia, in their own words, "almost never caught a break." When they did catch a break by leaving the airport first on Leg 3, they quickly lost a building lead to a bunch at the train station. And then came the camels and the story ended. I think they were a potentially strong team, but we'll never know for sure. They were at least decent, however. Shana & Jennifer also had a decent racing ability, just not a strong sense of navigation, and they weren't very good at handling the pressure. Kate & Pat were also hopeless in terms of winning potential.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 04:56:43 PM by Hooky »
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2010, 09:46:13 PM »
Oh i forgot about Wanda and Desiree!! I loved themmmmmmm!~

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #71 on: April 14, 2010, 02:23:09 PM »
Sorry (well its been less important in the last several years, which I hate), but two of the biggest factors in hurting female teams is the ability to navigate (thats not luck, thats not being able to follow instructions or properly read a map for most legs), and the ability to drive a stick shift.

Huge, huge factors that eat up a ton of time on most seasons (even if the focus of the footage is tasks, they generally don't take the most time of a leg, though of course their are exceptions).

And frankly I don't understand why, yet in my own life I know more guys that learn how to drive stick then women, even in families where its the mom teaching the family to drive.

As for Dustin & Kandice we also have to remember that this team in both seasons didn't start out strong , with some serious errors that luckily didn't have any real impact on them (put but if done before equalizers could have killed them) things like driving  an hour and a half to get 10 miles.  The trouble they had in vietnam, of which an all male team is the only one that did worse.

But for all the complaining about physical tasks, is that their are usually choices, and options to help.

Take Maria & Tiffany, I beat every women in that hall was capable of ringing that bell.

Take Dustin & Kandice's  near elimination in the boats in Vietnam, yet we have footage of an old women using one just fine herself.

Look at the salt task in season 6, Adam struggled, but hell Mary Jean gave it her all got in their and got it done.

In fact strength is general not a big factor in the race, skill and endurance are far, far more important.

Look at the climbing of the great wall, most racers wasted all their strength not actually figuring out how to climb it properly.  Yet Jamie & Kelly flew over the top, doing it right.  Their lack of skill with the bow was must likely what tired her out so that by the time she got the hang of it, she was already exhausted.  My school everyone had to have some training in archery (go figure).

Between the ability to read maps, being able to drive, the next largest factor has been making poor choices.  Tian & Jaree got eliminated due to taking a very passive task, one they don't have control over, it was exceptionally stupid, not that they were a good team, but they certainly had a shot.  Hell not many teams that year were any good.  What is exceptionally painful is watching women teams do poorly at tasks that are truly designed to not require strength, endurance or sports/outdoor skill sets.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #72 on: April 16, 2010, 11:58:19 PM »
Really really good post that mswood. Some great insights and perspectives! :tup:

Offline DeafRacer

• Amazing Racer
  • RFF VIP
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #73 on: April 23, 2010, 03:35:37 PM »
We wouldn't have this discussion if Jaime & Cara's cab driver haven't screwed it up on the way to the surfboard task. We would have gotten to work together to put the surfboards together before Tammy & Victor showed up then it would have come down to the footrace between Jaime & Cara and Mom & me for the first place to the finish line. I have no idea who would have won the footrace to the mat.

Offline targamer

• Poster
  • RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #74 on: April 23, 2010, 09:34:20 PM »
If you count Brent as female then yes!