Author Topic: Been to a RACE Location?? POST IT HERE!  (Read 280046 times)

Offline BourkieBoy

• Aussie Updater (TAR and Survivor)
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I'm a Reality Television Nerd!
Re: Been to a RACE Location?? POST IT HERE!
« Reply #325 on: August 28, 2019, 05:21:12 PM »
BritishTARFan, your pictures of Costa Rica and Panama are AMAZING! <3

I've got some pictures coming myself later!  :0328:

Offline a675974811

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #326 on: August 31, 2019, 10:42:06 AM »
Zhujiajiao, Shanghai - TAR16 - Leg 10
The 1st roadblock. This is what it looks like now.
(August 14 2019.)

(screenshots from a video.)
This photo was taken on the Bund. :waves:  (Lujiazui)
(July 23 2019.)

Yuyuan Garden at night. Shanghai - TAR16 - Leg 11
The location of The Detour
(March 25 2017.)

Offline NELs

• RFF Sr. Member
  • Excited for TAR 34!
« Reply #327 on: August 31, 2019, 10:59:37 AM »
 :welcome: to RFF,  a675974811. Also those are great pictures!

Offline G.B.

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • I WRITE THINGS!!
    • Youtube
« Reply #328 on: September 29, 2019, 09:19:13 PM »
So, today I discovered that there's a Geocache hidden within feet of a Pit Stop, and I was so excited to go! It's actually within the hedge maze at the VanDusen Botanical Gardens, just a couple feet away from the 1st leg Pit Stop of TAR Canada 5
Come check out the Reality Fan Wiki! The LARGEST Amazing Race database on the internet!!! (probably)
--Got something you're curious about? You'll probably find the answer on the Wiki!

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Fearless of ticket agents - too hot to be handled!
« Reply #329 on: October 05, 2019, 10:16:05 AM »
These are awesome pictures! Especially the nighttime capture of Yuyuan Garden!
<3 Family, friends, food, freedom...FULFILLED <3
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline BritishTARFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #330 on: October 16, 2019, 03:21:22 PM »
Going to Los Angeles on Saturday so wonder how many start lines I'll see aha.

Offline Maanca

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #331 on: October 16, 2019, 03:25:49 PM »

Make a BINGO card for it :lol:

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #332 on: October 17, 2019, 07:41:38 PM »
Don't forget about the rest of the county. :funny:
Countries "raced": Greece (2019), Italy (2017), Switzerland (2017), Taiwan (2016), U.S. (WA 2013, CA [S.F. 2014, L.A. 2023], TX 2021, IL all the time)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #333 on: June 10, 2020, 09:24:38 AM »
Thanks to all of you sharing your TAR location sightings!!

Brings wonderful memories during this time of limited travel.

Keep them coming!  :2hearts:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline marylandboy234

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #334 on: June 10, 2020, 09:55:55 AM »
Not sure how to add pictures on RFF. So i will just say where i have been.

Times Square (March 2013) - The Amazing Race 25 Starting Line.

Pittock Mansion (July 2015) - The Amazing Race 13 Finish Line.

Griffith Observatory (June 2016) - The Amazing Race 22 Starting Line.

Utah Olympic Park (July 2019) - The Amazing Race 8 Family Edition Roadblock and Yield.

Salt Lake City Public Library (July 2019) - The Amazing Race 8 Family Edition Pit stop.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 10:12:29 AM by marylandboy234 »

Offline marylandboy234

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #335 on: June 10, 2020, 03:42:09 PM »
Part 2:

London Eye & Abbey Road (June 2015) - The Amazing Race Season 7.

London Tower Bridge (June 2015) - The Amazing Race Season 25.

Pantheon (July 2015) - The Amazing Race Season 24 Speed Bump for Caroline and Jennifer.

Spanish Steps (July 2015) - The Amazing Race Season 24 Roadblock.

Colosseum (July 2015) - The Amazing Race Season 1.

Notre-Dame of Paris (July 2015) - The Amazing Race Season 1 Detour.

Arc de Triomphe (July 2015) - The Amazing Race Season 27 Pit stop.

Eiffel Tower (July 2015) - The Amazing Race Season 10.

Offline WilliamVC

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #336 on: June 11, 2020, 11:23:52 AM »
very interesting, I am interested in this and want to use it

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #337 on: June 11, 2020, 04:18:29 PM »
Not sure how to add pictures on RFF.

:waves:

There are two choices...uploading to somelace like imgur ot photocucket and using the IMG surrounding code.

You can attach in posts (but not messages) and instructions for that are in SUPPORT: https://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/board,4.0.html
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #338 on: June 11, 2020, 04:20:41 PM »
very interesting, I am interested in this and want to use it

Welcome to RFF William!

You are welcome to contribute your own places here...but "using" this info elsewhere is not allowed. Hope that makes sense?

Have fun!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Blazhinho

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #339 on: September 22, 2020, 01:01:50 PM »
Of all the places TAR has visited so far, I have been to Budapest, Venice, Rome, Florence, (Verona, Siena and Padua - I am not sure if TAR has visited these 3), Nice, Monaco (Monte Carlo) and Barcelona.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 05:34:38 PM by Blazhinho »

Offline Pi/

• HOST: Design Challenge 8
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #340 on: September 05, 2021, 05:12:57 PM »
Last month, I traveled to the finish line of TAR 2, the site of the closest finish in Race history. I totally recommend Fort Baker- beautiful views, yet thin crowds.

The exact point of the finish mat is now fenced off; this was done to protect an endangered butterfly species. However, there is still a trail to the area that gets you within a few yards.

Below, the view looking west. In the distance, you can see where the teams were dropped off. The final three teams had to run almost entirely uphill to the mat as well as climb up Battery Yates.

A couple more pics within the spoiler tag:
Show content
Another view of the spot where the final mat was, which has now been overgrown by foliage:

Great view looking southeast towards San Francisco:

“We inhabit a complex world. Some boundaries are sharp... but nature also includes continua that cannot be neatly parceled into two piles of unambiguous yeses and noes.” - S. J. Gould

“If you don't accept others who are different, it means nothing that you've learned calculus.” - Shirley Chisholm

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #341 on: September 06, 2021, 07:33:57 AM »
Awesome! Thanks for the update! I have a batch of pictures somewhere from about 10-15 years ago...I'll see if I can find them.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #342 on: September 09, 2021, 10:34:58 PM »
Love the Fort Baker pictures, Pi! :hfive:

Might have to go to the Bay Area again when it's safe so I can get the missing TAR30 locations (McCovey Cove, Golden Gate Fortune Cookie Factory, USS Hornet across the Bay, City Hall) to re-complete my photo album and revisit the college friend I was with on my first go-around.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #343 on: January 05, 2022, 12:25:17 AM »
First note: :cheer: HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! :cheer:

2nd note: I am actively aware of the recent spread in the new Omicron variant, especially in my home state, and I maintained extra precautions adhering to the customary CDC guidelines by testing myself upon arrival, during the travel, and upon return. I have resulted in negative tests all three times. In addition, I am doing okay with the recent blizzard chaos up in the Midwest that flipped people's abroad plans here in Chicago at Midway and O'Hare. Luckily, my flights out of and back to O'Hare were not affected and I share my empathy and condolences to the families, members, and crew who had or are waiting for an answer in when they can take their next step. It's not uncommon here, but it still takes a huge toll.

On a more enthusiastic note: as a pregame gift for the long-awaited launch of TAR33, here is a photomontage of my post-Christmas trip to the:

DALLAS/FORT WORTH AREA

So open a bottle of pop, or pop a champagne, and view this beautiful collection alongside me! :wine:

Fort Worth Stockyards - Cowtown Cattle Maze - TAR5
As a chronological opener, here are several highlights from the first-ever Texas task location! During my trek down to the historic district, I was floored by how sloped the streets here are. Would have I ever imagined North Texas is built on hills and dips had I not went?...... My mind was playing tricks on me thinking I was bumbling through Pittsburgh, Manhattan, and San Francisco at each glance of my surroundings. On East Exchange Avenue, I swerved my way past the mechanical bull water tower and through some horses to the a"maze"ing race classic. My goal was simple: mark off the words to spell MAZE on a punchcard by finding four corresponding stations represented by each letter -- exactly like the Speed Bump for the international Chinese airing. It was only after I finished the puzzle that I found out I used the punchcard incorrectly, therefore incurring my own version of a 30-minute penalty. Apparently, before I even had to enter the maze, I was supposed to submit the punchcard into a time clock at the start of the maze. Then once I finished the scavenger hunt, place the card in the top best times slot. I ended up giving myself 1st place because it was my personal best time (aka my only run). However, I have to serve "a penalty" so I explored the Stockyards Station across the avenue to browse some blended ground spices at their spice & tea shop. There was definitely a ton of foot traffic, but certainly not crowded to the point it was detouring me off my own path. I highly recommend this collective area with a loved one or a kid.

Note to self: Read. The. Dang. Clue! :funny:

Trammell Crow Park - TAR5
On the couple of days I stayed in Dallas, I decided to go on midmorning jogs at this Finish Line location because of how expansive this stretch of grass really is and how glorious the downtown-pointing vantage point captured the essence of my vacation. I took a scarce number of pictures here since all the angles framed the similar idea and I was in the zone enjoying the ambient sound of the park. May come off realtor-esque, but this is the spot where you put on your I <3 Dallas t-shirt and have a homemade picnic. The serenity is unmatched. The only occasional outside noise are from Dallasites who will cycle or walk their dogs here. Stunning, simple, couldn't ask for more.

AT&T Stadium in Arlington - TAR26
The Home of the Dallas Cowboys! Fun fact: What I didn't know prior to visiting was that the Texas Rangers play a couple miles away at their new and larger baseball field, and their old field across the street was recently renovated to become the home turf for the new league on the block, XFL, a franchise of gridiron football developing to demonopolize the NFL. Although the only things open at the coliseum were the Fanatics shop and lobby (unless you had an all-access stadium tour booked several months in advance), the exterior structure and glazing was spectacular to look at and the floor plan directory out on a speakerpost is better than nothing. "How 'bout them Cowboys?" Things are looking up for the team this season so I could envision them taking on the Super Bowl this year. My two cents. Not a bad place to just take a walk.

"P2 Ranch" in Burleson - TAR26
I took a wild guess. :duno: The rolling hills, the fencing, the distance, I think I had it -- east side of 35 West, a while after Burleson and right before Alvarado. But to be fair, when driving into a rural mirage, everything looks familiar. From what was described in a Cleburne Times Review article, the ranch is private property that the city sheriff offered production to use for the taping and "P2" is an alias of the location to not give away the address to outsiders. However, if I did capture it correctly, spare me! I swear I wasn't trespassing, honest!

Kudos on one of the best kept secrets in TAR history.

Reunion Tower - TAR26
The keystone of my trip by far is doing one of the tasks from this recent season, hunt down the area of the monster truck field from the observatory and drive myself to the location, kind of. I already had the address ready to go prior thanks to some help from G.B. :tup: While I was orbiting the tower, I dug my nose into the various other sights and activities in store. They had telescopes around the sphere where you could get a closer entertainment of some of the most iconic aspects of Dallas including spying on people in downtown, watching drivers struggle to merge onto the confusing highway interchanges, and my most favorite, finding out why birds are flocking to certain places. There is also a row of interactive touchscreens in the interior atmosphere that displayed the light shows of Reunion Tower during special celebrations, a map of all the local promoted attractions, and an interview of an ex-Secret Service agent recounting his experience trying to save John F. Kennedy during the motorcade tragedy. After wrapping it up, I rappeled face down the side of the building to get back to ground level. Well, the return elevator did, but it still counts.

Monster truck/selfie map field - TAR26
And here we are! An unnamed park that managed to sneak in a whole monster truck without being Instagrammed online. Thank you again to G.B. for assisting in pinpointing where I'm supposed to go.
:hfive:
I went in for about 30 feet, but felt super sketched out over the fact I had the only car parked at the adjacent liquor store in a seedier side of the highway, so I chickened out and ran back as humanly possible.
:groan:
Pathetic me.

Continental Avenue Bridge - TAR26
Along the Trinity River, this Finish Line location is officially titled Ronald Kirk Bridge, fostered beside the Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge. From what I heard, the most foot traffic arrives when ol' Marg casts her shadow on Ron. Though when I went, I felt this was not as popular of a convening place. I stomped the pavement for around forty minutes, doing sprints from one point to another at different spots on the pedestrian bridge to chase my last year's fitness goal of improving my running stamina. During my breaks, I was surprised of the many different textures and patterns that are sporadically, yet strategically installed. The bare-boned High Line of Dallas offers some places for kids to climb a human-sized nine-sided cube, have lunch curbside, and a Disneyworld-scale sight of perfectly placed trash bins so litter is obliterated from the scene. Compared to Trammell Crow Park, the bridge definitely offers an even more detailed panorama into downtown Dallas.

But wait, there's more :o ...
With some minor extra planning, I squeezed in the more Wild West-oriented locations the Chinese version of TAR went to throughout the Fort Worth metro area. Included already above is the maze where I already completed the Speed Bump and saw the line for the mechanical bull-riding station at the Stockyards.

Fort Worth Stockyards - Billy Bob's Texas - China 1
A trip to Fort Worth wouldn't be complete without visiting the honkiest, tonkiest performance arts venue in existence. Billy Bob's Texas is a staple in the American country music scene where nearly every country act out on the radio right now has either performed here as their first few gigs or are currently in their prime musicianship. All of this rings true where a private bar space is lined with priceless donated signed guitars from the artist themselves, making this square dance hall an institution for an authentic good time. On the front side of the building, I was spell-bound by the "Hollywood Walk of Fame"-like section featuring the handprints, humorously oversized tickets, and signatures of these lucky performers on concrete plaques. Many fans even KISSED the then-cement to send their love on the night of their performance. :kiss: I am absolutely starstruck I got to see Trisha Yearwood and Alabama, two of many musicians who raised me up, being upstairs neighbors on the wall. Dining and imbibing options are everywhere here, though only the burger shack was open when I went. They even house the world's largest Pac-Man game with a 2-person mechanism as well!

Fort Worth Stockyards - Cross-Eyed Moose Antiques Shop - China 1
A quaint treasure boutique in the fringe district of the Stockyards, the outlet features a plethora of keepsakes from classic novels (I spy a TAR9 reference, the Da Vinci Code! :spy:) to taxidermy deerheads. There are three little alcoves from the main space where knickknacks for wall art, kitchen decor, and fashion are displayed like a classier Saks Fifth. Every detail in the shop is carefully handpicked to achieve the Old Western aesthetic, creating a warm environment for browsing and getting lost in a pretend Nowheresville.

Mainstay Farm in Cleburne - China 1
One of my more disappointing visits because it was closed the day I put in my itinerary, Wednesday. :duno: I got the entry and the Ferris wheel in the back, that's it. The road heading back to 35 West was surprisingly narrow and very frightening. I don't know how they do it at night.

Beaumont Guest Ranch in Grandview - China 1
Last, but not least, a resort village that has various working components in making this place uniquely inspiring! It was a miracle I found it because the roads leading here had me on the edge of my driverside seat. There is a processional pergola that leads to a patio overlooking a manmade lake, perfect for tying the knot. Across the lake is a recreational facility with an area outside for kids to let their energy out. On the other side of the ranch, the Western village that hosted the Pit Stop location for the Chinese version. Unfortunately, I looked inside the buildings, seemed like all except the smaller cabins were glamorized storage units. :( Far off into the distance, the ziplining adventure awaits! I saw a ranchhand driving a golf cart toward that general area so to travel there is definitely a commitment. And I did not have that prior so it was on cue to depart for the day.

Hope you enjoyed my Texas-sized journey and may 2022 be in your favor!

Offline BritishTARFan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #344 on: April 21, 2022, 04:41:22 AM »
Went out for drinks last night and ended up in the flight club in Shoreditch that was featured on leg 2 of S33. Great mix of darts and drinks, would recommend to anyone who visits London! (get the Korean bbq beef skewers)

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #345 on: April 24, 2022, 08:25:44 AM »
Me and my wife spent the Easter i Amsterdam. We visited many race locations while we were in the Netherlands. But one of the highlights was when we retraced the bicycle route from season 26. That is when they rode bikes from the Klompen road block into central Amsterdam.

Jagershuis was closed but the village where it is located was very pretty.

Riding along the Amstel river was very nice.

The website said the ferry was not in operation but when we got there we discovered it was. Actually you do not need to ride the ferry. There are a couple of bridges. and the racers could have made the entire trip on the west side of the river rather than crossing on the bridge right by Jagershuis. But I guess it was prettier to include the ferry.

The river runs right up to Munttoren.

Offline RachelLeVega

• RFF TAR Updater
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #346 on: April 24, 2022, 06:50:11 PM »
Me and my wife spent the Easter i Amsterdam. We visited many race locations while we were in the Netherlands. But one of the highlights was when we retraced the bicycle route from season 26. That is when they rode bikes from the Klompen road block into central Amsterdam.
Those are gorgeous pictures! Cycling through Amsterdam is a dream!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #347 on: April 26, 2022, 02:51:20 PM »
Yall are AMAZING!! What wonderful fun and glorious pics!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline maf

• RFF TAR Chronicler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #348 on: March 19, 2023, 05:07:36 PM »
Sometimes the race gives you inspiration, and last fall was one of those times. So me and my wife booked a trip to Jordan. We got to visit a bunch of race locations.

The train from the start of the Jordan episodes. It was used when filming Lawrence of Arabia (then they had soldiers on these wagons) but nowadays it does tourist trips. Unfortunately our schedule did not allow us to ride it.

The Treasury in Petra is as impressive in reality as it is on the screen. Specially the way it suddenly appears as you exit from a narrow walkway. This picture is taken early in the morning, later in the day this place got very busy.

The first Jordan Pit Stop was in the great temple. Note the hexagonal floor tiling. In the background you see the Palace tomb where the detour took place. So the racers could have seen the Pit Stop from the detour location.

For some reason production moved the Pit Stop so the last two teams checked in to a different location than the previous teams. But they did not move it far, the first pit stop was just behind the row of pillars.

We had no problem locating the bookstore in Amman ;) But then we had the benefit of being able to look it up ahead of time which the racers could not. Joking aside, I see why this could be very hard to find.

The Roman Amphitheater was where the dancing detour took place. It was a very impressive structure and apparently could seat 6000 persons.

The Odeon is located next to the Amphitheater. They were both built at around the same time but the Odeon is much smaller and only holds about 500 spectators. This was the other road block location.

A stones throw from the detour locations you can find this rather sad square which was the location for the Road Block.

The Nyphaneum, the location of the Pit Stop, was closed. But note the carts chained to the fence. In fact we saw a lot of this kind of cart around this area.

All in all I can highly recommend you to go to Jordan if you have the chance. It is an eye of stability in a very troubled region and it has a lot of very impressive history.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #349 on: March 21, 2023, 09:04:33 PM »
WOW maf!! wonderful pics and what a wonderful trip!!

Thanks so much for this with us!!
RFF's Golden Rule: