Author Topic: TAR15 EP1505 : "I’m Like Ricky Bobby" (Dubai)  (Read 156775 times)

Offline Lucybell

• RFF Full Member
Re: TAR15 EP1505 : "I’m Like Ricky Bobby" (Dubai)
« Reply #100 on: October 16, 2009, 02:53:54 PM »
I did not make up the Switchback concept and had nothing to do with it. However, you are welcome to speculate all you want, but the key word is "infamous". LeMans road race by Amazing Racers was totally without controversy, so it could never be rated as "infamous". The pole vaulting over the fjierlippen (muddy ditch) was not a highly infamous ROADBLOCK. Maybe 3 racers got wet and Donald showed off his physique but those are not overwhelmingly infamous. If you want to nominate an alternative to that indicated below, then please come up with something truly infamous.

My vote stays with the truly infamous hay bales unroll ROADBLOCK in Sweden near Stockholm. AR15 could return to the same field used in AR6 for maximum impact. Plus maybe have either Lena or Kristy as greeter at the pit stop.

:o Holy Snap!  Sorry, I was making a comment on what I thought the switchback was.  Obviously, you took that as a personal attack.  It wasn't meant that way, Sorry again.  Sheez  :(

The hay hales are a good thought too and you are probably right... :)

Offline Lucybell

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #101 on: October 16, 2009, 03:11:08 PM »
Doesn't the promo say Race on a track or Race thru the Desert?? I thought that kinda implied Detour options, but guess there is still some leeway there. :lol:

I was thinking along those lines too Peach, I guess we will have to wait and see.

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #102 on: October 16, 2009, 03:42:31 PM »
Teams milling about in the photo/promos: Maria & Tiffany, Sam & Dan, and Meghan & Cheyne. Just to clarify because someone thought it was Mika & Canaan. :tup:
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #103 on: October 16, 2009, 03:43:30 PM »
about the same as the web promo but better
 ;D

{video removed}

Odd how the racing part is displayed backwards (inverted 5 on the wall).  Are they trying to throw off the spoilers?

The lettering on his helmet is correct, though.  The numbers must actually be inverted for some reason.

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #104 on: October 16, 2009, 05:20:54 PM »
The inverted numbers might require a mirror looking behind.

Lucybell, the Switchback not only has to be a roadblock, it has to take place at the original location of that roadblock. Bertram then limited this further by describing the task as one that was infamous. Once this Race moved past Ho Chi Mihn City, it seemed to some of us that it pretty much left the haybale roadblock outside Stockholm as the most likely task.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 10:56:28 PM by theschnauzers »
-- theschnauzers

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #105 on: October 16, 2009, 05:29:47 PM »
about the same as the web promo but better
 ;D

{video removed}

Odd how the racing part is displayed backwards (inverted 5 on the wall).  Are they trying to throw off the spoilers?

The lettering on his helmet is correct, though.  The numbers must actually be inverted for some reason.

The inverted numbers might require a mirror looking behind.

Thanks guys.   :tup: Good use of observational powers.  Racers need to know what turn they just left and they would be using their mirrors.

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #106 on: October 16, 2009, 08:06:44 PM »
Well, we know that they buggered the departure times for this leg of the race   :groan:

Here they are in noontime sunshine when we know they finished the previous leg around 4:30 pm.

(:;)
It's probably just to preclude the teams from ever catching the flight through Kuwait:

Thai Airways TG 519 leaving Bangkok at 1:00 pm and arriving in Kuwait at 4:35 pm.
Then they take Emirates EK 858 leaving at 6:05 pm and arriving in Dubai at 8:40 pm.

To get that flight they needed to be at Phnom Penh's airport in time to catch this flight to BKK (from Apskip): 
PG932 0937 (actual 7/26) 1046 (actual 7/26)

It gets pretty hot in the evenings too... I know because I lived in Cambodia and have visited all the race locations except for the temple.

Offline ImANewUser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #107 on: October 16, 2009, 09:38:59 PM »
Teams milling about in the photo/promos: Maria & Tiffany, Sam & Dan, and Meghan & Cheyne. Just to clarify because someone thought it was Mika & Canaan. :tup:

That'd be me. :funny: Looking at it again, the woman looked like Meghan to me, but the guy looked like Canaan, then I remembered he wasn't wearing blue that leg. :funny:
I'm baaaaaack!

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #108 on: October 17, 2009, 10:38:00 AM »
Chateau,

I think there is a relatively simple possible explanation that only uses a practice from a prior episode. In Japan teams arrived aroudn 430pm (admittedly in Narita maybe 2 hours from Tokyo Tower) but they did not start their tasks on July 19. They were delayed until July 20 by what I call a pseudo-pit-stop break. I think the same thing happens in Dubai on arrival on July 27, although it appears to me that teams do go that evening to Burj Dubai to sign up for their task there on the morning of July 28. That is a way to reward teams for high performance despite Bunching.

I think the simple possible explanation that uses a practice from prior episodes is called "time buggering" !   That's when Phil does not say

"Sam & Dan who arrived at 4:25 pm will depart at 4:25 am"

but instead says something like:

"Sam & Dan who are the first team to complete the previous leg of the race will depart at 11:25 am"

It shows that they did not have a standard 12-hour Pit Stop. 

Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #109 on: October 17, 2009, 12:09:27 PM »
Zev and Justin where on the Early Show and they showed a clip for this episode .. I'll work on some screencaps soon

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #110 on: October 17, 2009, 12:17:49 PM »
Using the reflected sunlight off the Burj (at a point 95 meters up and 605 meters away) I can get a very sharp definition of the solar altitude.

This shot was taken here between 6:28 and 6:32 am (assumes July 27th).

Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #111 on: October 17, 2009, 12:24:08 PM »
"Fly to the Persian Gulf..."

And find the tallest building in the world?

Additional information would probably include directions for the horse at its base... How's that for an opening clue?

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #112 on: October 17, 2009, 12:52:07 PM »
I'm re-downloading my CyberPowerDVD, no idea where it went   (:;)

I'll figure out how to make a video later from my DVD  :knuckles:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #113 on: October 17, 2009, 03:40:30 PM »
These are great!! Thanks puddin!!

So ...are Matt and Gary talking about their lead?  So where does this fall then? First task...or not?

And are teams just gathering snow to take outside to build the snowman? Or are they actually LOOKING for something in the snow? ???

What?? The carrot? :funny:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #114 on: October 17, 2009, 03:50:09 PM »
I think they are searching for something in the snow peach. Matt and Gary talk about losing their lead. I can't make a video now I have to run my DVD thru my wintv and I'm recording football so it will have to wait.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #115 on: October 17, 2009, 04:17:14 PM »
sports promo, nothing new

"tomorrow on the amazing race teams race a car on the track or thru the desert and how hard is it to find the worlds tallest building?"

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #116 on: October 17, 2009, 05:41:49 PM »
OH thank you CBS!!!!!!!!!  :jumpy: :jumpy:

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #117 on: October 17, 2009, 05:50:59 PM »
I won't be able to watch this episode with you tomorrow. I'll be in NYC and won't be home in time for the East Coast viewing. I'll should be back in time to post the vids. Have a good time!
Just here to visit.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #118 on: October 17, 2009, 07:20:51 PM »
we will miss you Ken! have fun!

So does anyone think they are searching for the carrot/eyes for the snowman?

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #119 on: October 17, 2009, 07:28:32 PM »
 :lol:  FWIW, Ski Dubai snow park pix....  (click on pix)

BTW, the bears name is "Frostbite the Polar Bear"   :funny:
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 07:34:57 PM by Boingo »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #120 on: October 17, 2009, 07:42:17 PM »
we will miss you Ken! have fun!

So does anyone think they are searching for the carrot/eyes for the snowman?

:yess:

They keep showing the lump of coal nose on that snow bear..and that is just what it looked like Ericka thought she had. Nice random carrot in a snowpile task.

But what I am wondering..... in my mind the snow came first. But after seeing this, and hearing Tiffany say "from one extreme to another", I am now wondering if the desert comes first? Which might also make sense to get that done early before the middle of the day. :duno:

might also explain the comment about their lead from Matt and Gary.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #121 on: October 17, 2009, 08:02:49 PM »
Is that a cooler in the backseat? Would they make them build the snowman elsewhere?

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #122 on: October 17, 2009, 08:04:46 PM »
 In Dubai, competitors will be presented with a chilling Detour: They have to take snow from an indoor ski area and build a snowman outside in the scorching Middle East heat. “The quality of the snow changes instantly the moment you bring it out,” chuckles van Munster. “And the snowman can’t be a little one—it has to be five-, six-foot-high snowman with eyes and a real carrot in his nose.”

Offline BayBay

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #123 on: October 17, 2009, 08:22:51 PM »
Something interesting to be shared if it hasn't already been:

Reality TV World: After you left the mat when Phil told you that you needed to find it, we saw you guys get in the cab with Thierry.  Did you ever really think there was a chance you'd be able to find it somewhere on the course?

Zev: We thought we were going to go and get it.

Justin: But by the time we... There wasn't that much time difference between the first-place team and last-place team.

Zev: It was only like 26 minutes.

Justin: We really knew -- because of the way that the challenges were set up -- we didn't have much time to come back before whoever was last.  So we were kind of resigned to it at that point.

Reality TV World: Okay, so it took about 25 minutes between when you checked in first and when "Professional Poker Players" Maria Ho and Tiffany Michelle checked-in last?

Justin: Something like that.  It wasn't much.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #124 on: October 17, 2009, 08:28:01 PM »
^^ they also said that they were surprised that the challenges all together took about 3 hours in total so we know that so far, per maps thanks to Neobie, Boingo and Slowhatch all tasks are close to each other so far anyway so the desert is probably not that far off.