Author Topic: TAR15 EP1505 : "I’m Like Ricky Bobby" (Dubai)  (Read 156707 times)

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR15 EP1505 : "I’m Like Ricky Bobby" (Dubai)
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2009, 11:57:00 AM »
It looks to me like they had to slide down the snow on the shovel.  They are holding something red between their legs.

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2009, 12:36:28 PM »
 :lol:  looks like Ski Dubai has a traditional snowman on display (all the time)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2009, 12:48:58 PM »
;D  OK, let's get serious.... now about those sand dunes...  :groan:  oh, who am I kidding, no way we can ID the exact spot...  BUT, here are a few possibilites for a desert task and pitstop.

Dubai desert oasis
Dubai Desert Conservation Reserve
Al Maha Desert Resort    ...only accommodation on the Reserve
TARA1 they use the Big Red Al Hamar for the detour task, maybe they use it again?

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2009, 12:49:29 PM »
:lol:  looks like Ski Dubai has a traditional snowman on display (all the time)
I want one! :D

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2009, 01:22:48 PM »
Maybe they can have the snowman standing next to a DRUM!! :lol:
Just here to visit.

Offline ImANewUser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2009, 02:10:12 PM »
That drum again? :funny:
I'm baaaaaack!

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2009, 05:44:55 PM »
I want to talk about flights to go Phnom Penh to Dubai. All the other commentators on this have assumed that the direct route PHN BKK and BKK DXB is best, but that is not the case. Notwithstanding the information that teams were spotted on TG517 nonstop from BKK DXB 1818 (actual) 2120 (actual), the smart teams would have done the following:

BKK DEL AI9854 1335(actual) 1635 (actual)
DEL DXB EK6680 1825(actual) 2130(actual), because the schedule has EK6680 arriving 10 minutes earlier than TG517 even though on this day it was 10 minutes later

Now, for the flight from PNH to BKK, is is not smart to wait around in Cambodia when you can reach Bangkok earlier than others have shown. I see no reason other than later release from the pit stop (which I consider unlikely) to not get on:

PG932 0937 (actual 7/26) 1046 (actual 7/26)  or on TG581 1000 1105, which Thai Airways shows flying on Sundays but evidence of that on 7/26 is unclear.

If teams are relased too late for those flights, then the afternoon flight PG934 would be OK to conenct to TG517 in Bangkok.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2009, 05:58:22 PM »
Clues:

TEAMS BATTLE THE BLISTERING HEAT OF DUBAI SEARCHING THROUGH SAND DUNES FOR WATER, AND ONE RACER HELPS OUT OTHER TEAMS HOPING TO RACK UP GOOD KARMA, ON "THE AMAZING RACE,"
SUNDAY, OCT. 18 ON CBS

"I'm Like Ricky Bobby (Dubai)" —
*Teams sweat it out searching sand dunes for water in the blistering sun / TEAMS BATTLE THE BLISTERING HEAT OF DUBAI SEARCHING THROUGH SAND DUNES FOR WATER
**and one racer decides to help his competition hoping karma will be on their side in the end/ ONE RACER HELPS OUT OTHER TEAMS HOPING TO RACK UP GOOD KARMA, ON "THE AMAZING RACE

on THE AMAZING RACE, Sunday, Oct. 18 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.  Phil Keoghan is the host.

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2009, 06:10:44 PM »
 :lol:  just love reading the stuff on the Dubai Autodrome web site... here's some cool info...

185HP F1 style race cars  :yess:

not cheap!  $238.00 USD for the ride.   :ascared

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2009, 06:15:49 PM »
Clues:

TEAMS BATTLE THE BLISTERING HEAT OF DUBAI SEARCHING THROUGH SAND DUNES FOR WATER, AND ONE RACER HELPS OUT OTHER TEAMS HOPING TO RACK UP GOOD KARMA, ON "THE AMAZING RACE,"
SUNDAY, OCT. 18 ON CBS

"I'm Like Ricky Bobby (Dubai)" —
*Teams sweat it out searching sand dunes for water in the blistering sun / TEAMS BATTLE THE BLISTERING HEAT OF DUBAI SEARCHING THROUGH SAND DUNES FOR WATER
**and one racer decides to help his competition hoping karma will be on their side in the end/ ONE RACER HELPS OUT OTHER TEAMS HOPING TO RACK UP GOOD KARMA, ON "THE AMAZING RACE

on THE AMAZING RACE, Sunday, Oct. 18 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.  Phil Keoghan is the host.

:jam:  now the ladle makes sense, puddin.  If you follow the footprints in the sand, they seem to be leading toward those trees (possible oasis with water).   :lol:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2009, 06:30:38 PM »

:jam:  now the ladle makes sense, puddin.  If you follow the footprints in the sand, they seem to be leading toward those trees (possible oasis with water).   :lol:

They send them out there with a ladle, how cruel is that? then add the tiny shovel to build the snowman  :lol: :lol:
Karma, Brian talked a lot about Karma in their extra clip .

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2009, 12:14:00 AM »
I want to talk about flights to go Phnom Penh to Dubai. All the other commentators on this have assumed that the direct route PHN BKK and BKK DXB is best, but that is not the case. Notwithstanding the information that teams were spotted on TG517 nonstop from BKK DXB 1818 (actual) 2120 (actual), the smart teams would have done the following:

DEL DXB EK6680 1825(actual) 2130(actual), because the schedule has EK6680 arriving 10 minutes earlier than TG517 even though on this day it was 10 minutes later

Now, for the flight from PNH to BKK, is is not smart to wait around in Cambodia when you can reach Bangkok earlier than others have shown. I see no reason other than later release from the pit stop (which I consider unlikely) to not get on:

PG932 0937 (actual 7/26) 1046 (actual 7/26)  or on TG581 1000 1105, which Thai Airways shows flying on Sundays but evidence of that on 7/26 is unclear.

If teams are relased too late for those flights, then the afternoon flight PG934 would be OK to conenct to TG517 in Bangkok.

If any teams arrive early enough to Bangkok's BKK then I would direct them to Dubai by way of Kuwait:

Thai Airways TG 519 leaving Bangkok at 1:00 pm and arriving in Kuwait at 4:35 pm.
Then they take Emirates EK 858 leaving at 6:05 pm and arriving in Dubai at 8:40 pm.

Those lucky teams would then be arriving 50 minutes ahead of the teams we know who took the slower flight.   :jam:
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2009, 12:19:14 AM »
That drum again? :funny:

That "drum" is an RFF classic.... :yess:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2009, 07:45:47 AM »
It looks to me like they had to slide down the snow on the shovel.  They are holding something red between their legs.

To slide down the hill on a shovel, the racers likely sit on the blade (flat part) and put the handle between their legs.

I wonder if teams have to search the indoor ski area for all the snowman parts, then build the snowman.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2009, 08:35:34 AM »

If any teams arrive early enough to Bangkok's BKK then I would direct them to Dubai by way of Kuwait:

Thai Airways TG 519 leaving Bangkok at 1:00 pm and arriving in Kuwait at 4:35 pm.
Then they take Emirates EK 858 leaving at 6:05 pm and arriving in Dubai at 8:40 pm.

Those lucky teams would then be arriving 50 minutes ahead of the teams we know who took the slower flight.   :jam:

Chateau,
Good work to turn up a flight (TG519) that is logical but my flight reservation system does not acknowlege the existence of, which is a bit weird. Another reputable flight information system does have TG519 so I have to conclude that it did exist.

I took a second look at the connecting points of Delhi, Mumbai, Kuwait and Muscat. The problem that they all have is that the vast majority of flights to Dubai are night, early morning or early evening. There is practically nothing in the middle of the day. With the only possible flights to Bangkok arriving slightly before or after 11am, routings from those places just have to wait until early evening.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2009, 08:40:49 AM »

I know what that "thing between their legs is" but have had trouble finding a picture of one. It is a relatively small sheet of flexable plastic that can be bent upward in the front and probablby behind as well. A picture of an item not exactly it but is as close as I can get is:

Polaris 36" Foam Sled

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2009, 09:38:13 AM »
They are so evil.. sending them from extreme heat to cold. ;D

I'm wondering if the karma could actually lead up to revealing the eventual winning team. Remember Chip and Kim helping Kami and Karli in Egypt and they're talking about good karma.. and there's load of sand, as in same for in Dubai. :funny:

Offline Ruth

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • With all your heart!
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2009, 12:24:46 PM »
The karma thing, makes me guess that it's Brian, I don't know why either.

Oh but of course it could also be Lance.
TAR 26: Hayley and Blair` Mike and Rochelle` Jelani and Jenny`
Survivor 30: Jenn` Joe` Hali` Sierra`
AI 14: Jax` Clark` Joey`

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2009, 12:58:12 PM »

I know what that "thing between their legs is" but have had trouble finding a picture of one. It is a relatively small sheet of flexable plastic that can be bent upward in the front and probablby behind as well. A picture of an item not exactly it but is as close as I can get is:

Polaris 36" Foam Sled

Up north we call them recovery shovels - handy for digging your car out of snow drifts in an emergency - or maybe sand dunes.
Guessing its "Ride your shovel down the hill - fill up a container with snow using the shovel  - take container outside and build a snowman".

I have rode similar shovels down ski hills - although they were bigger and less painful looking.
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2009, 02:39:42 PM »
When we were kids we liked using garbage can lids  :lol: , up here inner tubes are big!
Grab hold of the Hot Seat handle and hold on for a ride downhill. This sled has a built in handle that's great for little kids.            
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 02:48:27 PM by puddin »

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2009, 03:12:45 PM »
When we were kids we liked using garbage can lids  :lol: , up here inner tubes are big!
Grab hold of the Hot Seat handle and hold on for a ride downhill. This sled has a built in handle that's great for little kids.            

Nice find.  The "sitting" part does not look like it covers much of the fanny.  Icy buns ... probably feels good in Dubai.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2009, 03:51:24 PM »
They are so evil.. sending them from extreme heat to cold. ;D
BVM says in every race, they go from hot to cold and possibly back again. Funny how he does it all in one leg this time. :lol:
Just here to visit.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2009, 05:32:43 PM »
Let me finish my supper and I'll come back to put up screencaps

The teams search for the world's tallest building on the next episode of The Amazing Race.

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2009, 06:13:07 PM »
Yes, self-driving!

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2009, 06:25:50 PM »