Author Topic: Pre TAR15 Discussion  (Read 85844 times)

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
Re: Pre TAR15 Discussion
« Reply #275 on: June 04, 2009, 07:20:25 AM »
The entire Southern Hemisphere is currently dangerous, as far as Swine Flu goes, since it is currently our flu season.

I would be surprised if they spent a lot of time in the south, with the possible exception of Africa.

As for me, I'm just trying to avoid getting sick until after I go to the states.

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #276 on: June 04, 2009, 07:28:21 AM »
{Cruel} Out of the frying pan into the fire. {/Cruel}
Take good care, everyone!

I have tickets to Melbourne in August and the US in September. Hope the flu blows over soon!

OK. Looking solely from a producer's point of view (ignoring medical and political sense or non-sense), is the current situation a good reason to delay the race? Costs, insurance, medical availability and scheduling would all come into play, I believe. Also the threat of needing to quarantine anyone at any place at any point in time.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 07:42:13 AM by Neobie »

Offline methylc

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #277 on: June 04, 2009, 07:28:54 AM »
The entire Southern Hemisphere is currently dangerous, as far as Swine Flu goes, since it is currently our flu season.

I would be surprised if they spent a lot of time in the south, with the possible exception of Africa.

As for me, I'm just trying to avoid getting sick until after I go to the states.

Season 12 stayed entirely in the Northern Hemisphere btw. the southernmost point was Burkina Faso.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #278 on: June 04, 2009, 07:41:08 AM »
The CDC currently has NO TRAVEL WARNINGS in effect. Travel warnings include recommendations to avoid non-essential travel.

I think the release about Victoria relates to an outbreak of whooping cough (pertussis) NOT flu.

You can read more here:
http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/default.aspx

Definition of Travel Health Warning:
4. Travel Health Warning: CDC recommends against nonessential travel to the area. A travel health warning is a notification by CDC that a widespread, serious outbreak of a disease of public health concern is expanding outside the area or populations that were initially affected. The purpose of a travel health warning is to provide accurate information to travelers and Americans living abroad about the status of the outbreak (e.g., its scope, magnitude, and rapidity of spread), how they can reduce their risk for infection, and what to do if they should become ill while in the area. The warning also serves to reduce the volume of traffic to the affected areas, which in turn can reduce the risk of spreading the disease to previously unaffected sites. CDC recommends against nonessential travel to the area because the risk for the traveler is considered to be high (i.e., the risk is increased because of evidence of transmission outside defined settings and/or inadequate containment). Additional preventive measures may be recommended, depending on the circumstances (e.g., travelers may be requested to monitor their health for a certain period after their return; arriving passengers may be screened at ports of entry).

I do NOT think TAR 15 will be impacted at this point by ANY of the worldwide outbreaks.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #279 on: June 04, 2009, 07:43:50 AM »
TPTB may take heed from more than the (American) CDC. The flu may impact other decisions, apart from medical considerations.

Reporting from this side of the globe, China has quarantined Mexicans out-of-the-blue. Hong Kong has quarantined an entire hotel for a week. Malaysia places people under home quarantine. Singapore is issuing compulsory Home Quarantine Orders. Japan's quarantine act allows for detention up to 240 hours.

That's one solid wall of airports in countries with compulsory quarantine orders (for people without symptoms).

As far as I know, travel insurance does not provide any compensation for quarantine arising from H1N1.

And that may be what producers fear.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 08:06:44 AM by Neobie »

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #280 on: June 04, 2009, 07:51:43 AM »
The CDC currently has NO TRAVEL WARNINGS in effect. Travel warnings include recommendations to avoid non-essential travel.

I think the release about Victoria relates to an outbreak of whooping cough (pertussis) NOT flu.

You can read more here:
http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/default.aspx

Definition of Travel Health Warning:
4. Travel Health Warning: CDC recommends against nonessential travel to the area. A travel health warning is a notification by CDC that a widespread, serious outbreak of a disease of public health concern is expanding outside the area or populations that were initially affected. The purpose of a travel health warning is to provide accurate information to travelers and Americans living abroad about the status of the outbreak (e.g., its scope, magnitude, and rapidity of spread), how they can reduce their risk for infection, and what to do if they should become ill while in the area. The warning also serves to reduce the volume of traffic to the affected areas, which in turn can reduce the risk of spreading the disease to previously unaffected sites. CDC recommends against nonessential travel to the area because the risk for the traveler is considered to be high (i.e., the risk is increased because of evidence of transmission outside defined settings and/or inadequate containment). Additional preventive measures may be recommended, depending on the circumstances (e.g., travelers may be requested to monitor their health for a certain period after their return; arriving passengers may be screened at ports of entry).

I do NOT think TAR 15 will be impacted at this point by ANY of the worldwide outbreaks.

I've heard nothing in the media about whooping cough. We do have more cases of H1N1 than any other region in Australia though.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #281 on: June 04, 2009, 08:46:27 AM »
I am sure they will do whatever it takes to be safe, they are very strict about safety. In the past, it is my understanding that the CDC and US State Dept warnings/guidelines were what were used to make decisions.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #282 on: June 04, 2009, 01:58:38 PM »
Like TAR wouldn't go into Iraq, Saudi Arabia, or Iran right now. It would be interesting if they did, but it won't happen.
Just here to visit.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #283 on: June 04, 2009, 02:01:50 PM »
7000 posts Ken!! And all of them charming and witty!  :hearts:

:wohoo:

:congrats:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #284 on: June 04, 2009, 02:04:23 PM »
Like TAR wouldn't go into Iraq, Saudi Arabia, or Iran right now. It would be interesting if they did, but it won't happen.
Saudi Arabia pretty much spells: NO F/F teams, no non-family non-married F/M teams and no gay M/M teams
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #285 on: June 04, 2009, 02:16:25 PM »
Here is the latest World Health Organization update:

World - Influenza A (H1N1)
28 April 2009 -- Several countries have confirmed cases of influenza A(H1N1). General information on the influenza A(H1N1) have been posted on the WHO website.

WHO does not recommend restricting international travel. As usual it is considered prudent for people who are ill to delay international travel and for people developing symptoms following international travel to seek medical attention.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #286 on: June 04, 2009, 05:04:43 PM »
Swine Flu Alert!

If you wake up looking like this, stay home, take two aspirins and call your doctor......

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 04, 2009, 05:05:50 PM »
Swine Flu Alert!

If you wake up looking like this, stay home, take two aspirins and call your doctor......

EWWWWWWWWWWW WTF IS THAT

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #288 on: June 04, 2009, 05:09:35 PM »

EWWWWWWWWWWW WTF IS THAT
  :swine

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #289 on: June 04, 2009, 05:11:35 PM »
it has a nipple!
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #290 on: June 04, 2009, 05:27:42 PM »
it has a nipple!
:lol: :lol:

OK I got us off topic so sorry :hides

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #291 on: June 04, 2009, 05:49:50 PM »
We might assume we HAD a topic? ???    :funny: :funny:

Love the pic!! :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Snooky

• Beware of Spooks!
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Online Reality Games Yuniverse
« Reply #292 on: June 04, 2009, 05:51:44 PM »
Ewww!  That's gross!  And I am guessing that that spoiler is Central America.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #293 on: June 04, 2009, 08:20:56 PM »

Thanks, Peach! If it weren't for your invite, I never would have made it over here. I'm very glad to have made 7,000 posts before this one. :D
Just here to visit.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #294 on: June 04, 2009, 08:47:31 PM »

Thanks, Peach! If it weren't for your invite, I never would have made it over here. I'm very glad to have made 7,000 posts before this one. :D
This place wouldn't be the same without you Ken!  :-* .........Congrats! :congrats:

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #295 on: June 04, 2009, 09:46:32 PM »
Swine Flu Alert!

EWWWWWWWWWWW WTF IS THAT

It reminds me of an old Seinfeld quote:

"I think I saw a pigman!"

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #296 on: June 04, 2009, 11:03:32 PM »
 :funny: Something to bide the time I suppose  :lol:
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #297 on: June 05, 2009, 10:10:46 PM »
WOW... :ascared :res:

Someone make that your avatar! :funny:
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #298 on: June 06, 2009, 01:39:08 AM »
Looks like Shrek. :funny:

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile