Author Topic: Pre TAR15 Discussion  (Read 85830 times)

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR 15!!
« Reply #200 on: May 21, 2009, 04:19:34 AM »
Too right! I am so glad for TAR15 and I am sure a new batch of teams will be on their way soon  :yess:
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #201 on: May 21, 2009, 08:05:45 AM »
It won't be the 20th G-Man, thats the Emmy's!!

I still think late June-early July, like last time....
I believe this is CBS' year to host the Primetime Emmys. It'll be either last week September or 1st week October.

We already have the 20th of Sept with CBS hosting confirmed, Ken....
I meant the start of TAR would be last week of September or 1st week of October. Sometimes I type faster than I think. :lol:
Just here to visit.

Offline sharkshooter

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #202 on: May 21, 2009, 01:57:55 PM »
...they can always make the teams go to a coffee shop/kopitiam and become the assistant who has to remember everyone's orders.... which may not be in English! that might be chaotic.
You mean like at any North American Starbucks?

Mocha grande latte pour favore...

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #203 on: May 22, 2009, 07:56:23 AM »
...they can always make the teams go to a coffee shop/kopitiam and become the assistant who has to remember everyone's orders.... which may not be in English! that might be chaotic.
You mean like at any North American Starbucks?

Mocha grande latte pour favore...
Starbuck's in Mexico are chaotic :lol: the order synthax is the same as in English, but in Spanish grammar it makes no sense XD
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #204 on: May 22, 2009, 07:57:16 PM »
If the start date for TAR15 is to be September 27, then the location shoot should begin in June.  Today is May 22, so June is just over a week away.  And even if the race only lasts 30 days, that does not leave much time for editing and post-production work including voicing.

Any hints through job listings when producers, editors, etc. are being hired for TAR15?

We should be getting some kind of first look at the start if we are alert to the various airport starting gates. 

And I doubt that the teams will be seen in any Starbucks in Mexico on this trip.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #205 on: May 22, 2009, 08:17:54 PM »
If it was me, I would probably look more towards late June, G-Man.... 

I am also seeing quite a bit of "chatter" about TAR: Latin America popping up and I believe they also have an airing date in September, so I expect that we may well have some Team sightings of that as well. Kind of like we kept stumbling across the Israel race last summer?

I agree that parts of SA are unlikely to be visited by our race this season though, due to the HN1 flu.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Moo

• Poster
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Japanese Woman FTW!
« Reply #206 on: May 22, 2009, 08:41:39 PM »

I am also seeing quite a bit of "chatter" about TAR: Latin America popping up and I believe they also have an airing date in September, so I expect that we may well have some Team sightings of that as well. Kind of like we kept stumbling across the Israel race last summer?

I agree that parts of SA are unlikely to be visited by our race this season though, due to the HN1 flu.

Will TAR: Latin America be pushing through as well despite the HN1 flu? For safety reasons too, I THINK THAT TPTB will require vaccines that must be given to TAR Racers, Phil, Staff and Crew, and Executives first before they get to leave the United States... I guess if we can hear that vaccines are available and confirmed, we can be able to corner our dates of filming as well right?

Then again, I'm just guessing... but WRP and TPTB takes care of them very well...
Account is awaiting approval for deletion (approved)

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #207 on: May 22, 2009, 09:18:40 PM »
Mooyou,

I could be out dated in this, but the last I heard there was no vaccine yet for the H1N1 virus.

Anyway, I can see no reason to avoid all of Latin America for a problem that is mostly in Mexico and the U.S. at this time.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #208 on: May 22, 2009, 09:21:33 PM »
I spoke to someone from CDC about this last week. So far the flu is not thought to be as virulent as first thought, so the risk may be actually dropping. That is not to say that there could not be an resurgence later this season.

The decision on whether to make and stockpile vaccine is still under discussion, so if it is not yet available to the general public, it will certainly not be any kind of a requirement for TAR. There is no vaccine as of yet.

I personally do NOT think that HN1 is going to affect our race much, if at all...other than the common sense precautions of avoiding areas with current outbreaks.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #209 on: May 22, 2009, 09:54:21 PM »
Peach, you're best with the medical stuff - would/should TAR avoid the US? I mean, it's the second worst-hit country in the entire world, no? :groan:

Translation: Even if the schedule is green-lighted, would the filming of TAR 15 be held back because of the flu? I mean, to avoid being caught on a plane with someone sick and ending up being quarantined somewhere...

(I remember how the US treated the rest of the world like **** during SARS.)

Offline Moo

• Poster
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Japanese Woman FTW!
« Reply #210 on: May 22, 2009, 10:04:22 PM »
I spoke to someone from CDC about this last week. So far the flu is not thought to be as virulent as first thought, so the risk may be actually dropping. That is not to say that there could not be an resurgence later this season.

The decision on whether to make and stockpile vaccine is still under discussion, so if it is not yet available to the general public, it will certainly not be any kind of a requirement for TAR. There is no vaccine as of yet.

I personally do NOT think that HN1 is going to affect our race much, if at all...other than the common sense precautions of avoiding areas with current outbreaks.

I'll have to agree about that, H1N1 is just a notch higher than the average flu, what I'm scared of is the reaction of the countries/misinformed locals due to WHO's overreaction...(FYI: The WHO, Philippines and PRChina/ROChina governments are WAY TOO OVERREACTING this outbreak, which totally pisses me off (:;) We looked SO STUPID in HK/IA two weeks ago wearing all those protective masks, while almost all other foreigners aren't wearing one...) to American tourists right now, as many (again, like here) are telling the people to stay away from airports, foreigners etc. etc. etc...

I do hope, like Peach that TPTB can make the best out of this, and pray that the next batch of contestants be healthy and strong for the race.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 10:08:34 PM by Mooyou »
Account is awaiting approval for deletion (approved)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #211 on: May 22, 2009, 10:54:54 PM »
Peach, you're best with the medical stuff - would/should TAR avoid the US? I mean, it's the second worst-hit country in the entire world, no? :groan:

Translation: Even if the schedule is green-lighted, would the filming of TAR 15 be held back because of the flu? I mean, to avoid being caught on a plane with someone sick and ending up being quarantined somewhere...

(I remember how the US treated the rest of the world like **** during SARS.)

This is out of my area, but I did get updated by someone actively working on this.

AT the moment the H1N1 "flu" is probably less vvirulent than a normal seasonal flu.

It is responsive to antivirals.

The decision to stockpile/make vaccine has not been made.

Right now, today, I don't think TAR would be affected in any way, just as all of us continue to travel/fly/work/vacation around the world.

The real concern, as I understand it, is that this IS a new virus so there are low levels of natural immunity. And there is still a risk that this virus can mutate in the coming months and come back in a stronger form. Not necessarily WILL, but COULD. So in six months things could be different, depending on the course the virus takes.

And Asian countries do have SARS fresh in their minds, which perhaps explains their increased concern at this time.

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #212 on: May 22, 2009, 11:13:01 PM »
If the start date for TAR15 is to be September 27, then the location shoot should begin in June.  Today is May 22, so June is just over a week away.  And even if the race only lasts 30 days, that does not leave much time for editing and post-production work including voicing.

Any hints through job listings when producers, editors, etc. are being hired for TAR15?

We should be getting some kind of first look at the start if we are alert to the various airport starting gates. 

And I doubt that the teams will be seen in any Starbucks in Mexico on this trip.

Phil's last tweet on 5/18: Loving being home in LA. Believe it or not, I am looking forward to racing a Team Time Trial with Ben in a couple of weeks.
1:33 PM May 18th from web

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #213 on: May 22, 2009, 11:24:32 PM »
I'd agree that the problem is more political than medical...

Should CBS be afraid that some country may decide to quarantine all people who have visited [whatever country] in the past [whatever amount of time], throwing a wrench into all the plans?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #214 on: May 22, 2009, 11:28:02 PM »

Should CBS be afraid that some country may decide to quarantine all people who have visited [whatever country] in the past [whatever amount of time], throwing a wrench into all the plans?

No. Not now. Not if people don't panic, and there is NO cause for panic now.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #215 on: May 22, 2009, 11:57:24 PM »

I agree. Unless it was as bad as SARS..

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #216 on: May 23, 2009, 05:45:35 AM »
i think  go make my prediction of tar15

Offline panda

• RFF's Lady Gaga
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • ./lady gaga rox.
« Reply #217 on: May 23, 2009, 05:50:35 AM »

I agree. Unless it was as bad as SARS..

i dun think it's bad.

btw. i heard this news in a TV report (i dunno if i heard it right), that a kid was getting better havin H1N1 virus. But the 18 (i think) were still confined and still checking. They are the people who stayed with the kid.

i dunno. i was doing my facial that night. -.-
M

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #218 on: May 23, 2009, 06:21:23 AM »

los angles-Rio de Janeiro
Rio de Janeiro-Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires-cape town
cape town-Tripoli
Tripoli-paris
paris-Copenhagen
Copenhagen-minsk
minsk-hong kong
hong kong-Vientiane
Vientiane
Vientiane-Naypyidaw
Naypyidaw-melbroune
melbroune-cuncun-Miami

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #219 on: May 23, 2009, 12:14:05 PM »

los angles-Rio de Janeiro
Rio de Janeiro-Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires-cape town
cape town-Tripoli
Tripoli-paris
paris-Copenhagen
Copenhagen-minsk
minsk-hong kong
hong kong-Vientiane
Vientiane
Vientiane-Naypyidaw
Naypyidaw-melbroune
melbroune-cuncun-Miami

Zachary, A better thread to put that in would be this one. :tup:
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #220 on: May 23, 2009, 12:30:47 PM »
I just want them to go to New Zealand or Australia.. higher chances of them having self-driving.

But self driving always spells that all-female teams might be eliminated early because of their way with roads... -____- (Marisa and Brooke, Shanna and Jennifer, Meredith and Maria, Danielle and Dani, Debbie and Bianca and even Dustin and Kandice also landed last on a NEL thanks to bad driving)

And look at the leg there was driving a driving task in TAR 14.. Christie and Jodi and Kisha and Jen fumbled badly too. Sigh..

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #221 on: May 23, 2009, 12:32:36 PM »
I just want them to go to New Zealand or Australia.. higher chances of them having self-driving.

But self driving always spells that all-female teams might be eliminated early because of their way with roads... -____- (Marisa and Brooke, Shanna and Jennifer, Meredith and Maria, Danielle and Dani, Debbie and Bianca and even Dustin and Kandice also landed last on a NEL thanks to bad driving)

And look at the leg there was driving a driving task in TAR 14.. Christie and Jodi and Kisha and Jen fumbled badly too. Sigh..

That's true! I never noticed that until now. But I still think that self-navigation is a necessary ability that needs to be there for the race to be truly challenging.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #222 on: May 23, 2009, 12:35:28 PM »

That's true! I never noticed that until now. But I still think that self-navigation is a necessary ability that needs to be there for the race to be truly challenging.

That is why i'm in a dilemia.. i want an all-female team to win.. but at the same time i want more self-driving!!! (:;)

Offline Snooky

• Beware of Spooks!
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Online Reality Games Yuniverse
« Reply #223 on: May 23, 2009, 02:03:39 PM »

That is why i'm in a dilemia.. i want an all-female team to win.. but at the same time i want more self-driving!!! (:;)
Who says there can't be a good self-driving F/F team?
 :funny:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #224 on: May 23, 2009, 02:09:07 PM »

Who says there can't be a good self-driving F/F team?
 :funny:

Thank goodness for Snooky!! :hearts: The rest of you chauvinistics pigs are in trouble!!  :neener:
RFF's Golden Rule: